• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Thanks for trying, after some digging, it's a term that Marie coins in the Japanese version.
3oHArH3aBL5CxLAj8ayHdw.jpg

Can't read, but has something to do with 4 man bubbler push?

Thanks for trying, after some digging, it's a term that Marie coins in the Japanese version.
3oHArH3aBL5CxLAj8ayHdw.jpg

Can't read, but has something to do with 4 man bubbler push?

Callie:
What should we call it when the entire team gets bubblers to advance during the final moments of a battle?

Marie:
Eternal Phalanx Ω?

Nightii

Banned
Man, I was missing the hell out with this game! Just made it to level 4, even when paired mostly with noobs like me, some level 50 monster pops up and carries a whole team against us! This is definitely not like the Tesfires!

Is Museum D'Alfonsino going to stay in rotation for a long while due to being new? Can't say I like it much, all the un-inkable areas confuse me too much lol.

RedFyn

No. New maps stay in the rotation for 24 hours so that everyone has a chance to play on them and then the rotation goes back to normal.

Geg

Yeah, in the NA version the line goes something like

Callie: I love it when the whole team shares a Bubbler!
Marie: I call it the BUBBLE HUDDLE.

Had a terrible turf wars streak where on Museum D'Alfonsino I was always against a player who would get 1800p with the Zapper '89*. Inkstrikes went off all the time. It didn't help I was trying out heavy splatling for the first time either and had suicidal team mates who would super jump right into danger...one of which was a level 50 dynamo roller user.

*-Their gear was 3 special charge up mains with 1 sub (there was about 8 different subs on their gear so no re-rolling done)

I should really play ranked more (though if my time in rainmaker is anything to go by the Museum is hard to get knockouts...or that could just be A+ for you) but I want to level this gear I keep getting.

I remember getting torn to shreads in the OT when I complained about the idiocy of vanilla Kraken. Funny that they nerfed it twice now, maybe I had a point. :p

Also pretty happy with the recent nerfs/buffs, game feels much better now. Nintendo took their sweet time, but the changes are on point IMO.

Bert

What the hell?

My wife is in a game of Rainmaker right now. The timer has hit 0:00, the Rainmaker shield can't be popped and everyone's still playing!

And the teams can't see each other but can still kill each other. Killer Wail's and bullets appearing out of nowhere.

Anyone else had something like this?

TheJoRu

Seeing almost exclusively "Pray for Paris"-Miiverse messages in my Inkopolis right now. Stay awesome (and fresh), Splatoon-Miiverse!

L95

What the hell?

My wife is in a game of Rainmaker right now. The timer has hit 0:00, the Rainmaker shield can't be popped and everyone's still playing!

And the teams can't see each other but can still kill each other. Killer Wail's and bullets appearing out of nowhere.

I didn't have the teams become invisible, but I did have something similar happen in tower control, the timer went to 0 but nothing happened, and for the whole match the tower would only move after standing on it for a good 20 seconds.

Seeing almost exclusively "Pray for Paris"-Miiverse messages in my Inkopolis right now. Stay awesome (and fresh), Splatoon-Miiverse!

Mm. Reminds me of when Iwata passed away... filled with messages about it.

What the hell?

I once saw a video of a splat zones map where the counter would not bulge and it went on for about 30 minutes in overtime. I think some players disconnecting is what caused the match to end (or was it that the match ended with a communication error anyway I can't remember).

Moondrop

Banned
I'm learning to play without ink resistance, even as a tri-slosher. Although it can still save you, ink resistance now feels like a crutch, without which you are forced to play smarter.

Thanks for the games SplatGAF! Maybe I'll join properly one day? After I get gudder.

-Pan

P.S. Sorry for the lag lol. My country doesn't have the best internet service.

ss-hikaru

Felt like playing the Octobrush again after watching some gaf videos (St Aidan I think? You so good I jealous). I think I've got the hang of it, either that or the new map is just really good for it XD Was getting lots of kills and inking lots of ground in contrast to previous tries where I would struggle to get 400 points and die a lot.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/whf2016w/index.html

Nintendo JP hold a Splatoon tournament for elementary school kids.

This is nice, I feel sad watching kids in Koshien getting owned by the adults.

In the NA direct they said they'll keep update the game at least until January. So one map and 10 more weapons, which can keep the updates till the last week of January.

Kangi

Decided to get back into playing this after a couple weeks of Undertale. Logged in to see... the plaza is literally just Undertale posts.

And it fills me with determination.

Now, time for a makeover. Are Crazy Arrows still great? I feel like they're still great.

StAidan

Felt like playing the Octobrush again after watching some gaf videos (St Aidan I think? You so good I jealous). I think I've got the hang of it, either that or the new map is just really good for it XD Was getting lots of kills and inking lots of ground in contrast to previous tries where I would struggle to get 400 points and die a lot.

The new map is really good for brush, maybe weaker in Tower Control than the other two modes but I'm not sure yet. (Maybe I just suck at it :) )

As far as getting the hang of it, inking ground and laying beacons are priorities with Octobrush, since stealth/ambush is the most effective way to get kills. Once you lose map control, short range weapons become far less useful. Certain maps favor a base invading strategy (good for Octobrush) that makes it almost impossible for the enemy to make any inroads, because they are so focused on getting you out of their base.

noshten

So how anyone like the new map?
I love it!
In fact, there's not a single map that I don't like.

I think it's pretty awesome but there should be more routes to flank on SZ. Right now it's just too good for Chargers since there is only one path to remove them and it's a pretty dangerous one since everyone knows it.

NotLiquid

I love it!

Like I said previously, it's arguably my favorite map. It reminds me of Triggerfish but with less downtime between having to work around surfaces. Triggerfish is occasionally cumbersome on account of getting around the map occasionally breaking some momentum (due to non-inkable ground being used to connect both halves) but this one has an interesting gimmick to utilize whenever you can't cover the distance.

The new map is really good for brush, maybe weaker in Tower Control than the other two modes but I'm not sure yet. (Maybe I just suck at it :) )

As far as getting the hang of it, inking ground and laying beacons are priorities with Octobrush, since stealth/ambush is the most effective way to get kills. Once you lose map control, short range weapons become far less useful. Certain maps favor a base invading strategy (good for Octobrush) that makes it almost impossible for the enemy to make any inroads, because they are so focused on getting you out of their base.
This is going to sound weird but... how do you go up walls with Octobrush? I was fooling around with Inkbrush Noveau and Octobrush last night, and I found that on Bluefin Depot I was spending way too much time trying to get out of the middle pits.

Should I be standing a certain distance away, then spam jump and flick?

I love it!
I really like Museum d'Alfonsino, it's pretty fun :) With that said though, the enemy base being only accessible via middle spinner might be a problem.

StAidan

This is going to sound weird but... how do you go up walls with Octobrush? I was fooling around with Inkbrush Noveau and Octobrush last night, and I found that on Bluefin Depot I was spending way too much time trying to get out of the middle pits.

Should I be standing a certain distance away, then spam jump and flick?

Haha, yeah, jump and flick from a few steps away is the way to go. It's bad even then because you're a sitting duck while doing it. (You're close to the wall, so your field of view is awful for catching enemy approaches.) Of course, at Bluefin, at least there's a way up. Flounder Heights is right out, the walls there are pretty much unapproachable until a teammate inks the way for you (and sometimes no one does it where you need it most).

EulaCapra

omg I just went 23 Splats and 8 Splatted on the last Splat Zones with Octobrush.

That might've been a record for me and I would've taken a picture if not for the fact that we still lost...

Whatever. France is still more prominent for it's art museums than any other country in the world.

So basically anything related to a museum means it's France inspired? No, lol.

The only thing that actually references France is the Mona Lisa painting on a wall, but there are multiple other mock pieces of art scattered on the map.

Jims

Finally got a chance to play the new map. It is awesome! I really like the way the center area is laid out with the spinning platform and the two dead ends in the corner. I keep expecting people to stand in the middle of the spinner but it's rarely used that way in the games I've played. Just used for mindgames on the ground and getting across.

I do worry that the map is a little too chokepoint-y with the center, though. Been on a lot of teams that nailed down the middle area (shooting Blasters and throwing Burst Bombs toward them) and the other team couldn't come down safely. The center column gives a winning team a lot of cover if something bad starts to develop. The other entrances near the corners can be hard to approach from as well. It's hard to go down into the lower level because there's only one exit ramp so the other team can just box you out. The higher dropdown has such a sharp left turn, your angle of approach becomes a problem.

Determined to get good at the standard Splattershot. It's such a vanilla setup that I feel like mastering it will be good for the fundamentals. Starting to get the hang of the strategy of it. It's a Splattershot so it kills super fast but the Burst Bombs are great for poking, sniffing out flanks, and making people retreat. Plays a little like a Blaster meets a Jr. Fun weapon.

Top Bottom