• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Jintor

i'm still really annoyed with myself i didn't even apply any art for any of those splatoon zines that were going around. There's like 3 and I didn't bother for any of them grrrr

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, got my shells before going to bed last night. Then I checked the shops for Mawcassins ... not there. But the first inkling I checked in the hub had Mawcassins! Fuckin' ordered. They're the last piece I need for my Special Charge Up-Ink Recovery-Ink Saver Main build to use with the Jet Squelcher. I technically have a build for that already, but I like the look of the Red Vector Tee better than the White Shirt. And going with Red Vector Tee necessitates that I use Mawcassins instead of Orange Arrows. (My headgear for both builds is Fake Contacts.)

And I have to thank Rubikant for his cool script for finding the Mawcassins, which let me use Red Vector Tee instead of White Shirt. Didn't realize that combo was possible since the Mawcassins were added in one of the later updates!

NNID: samuswiiu

Help me enjoy this game.

I need friends to play with. I bought the game a couple weeks ago and I'm already bored of Turf War. I want to try other modes too. :(

Should I download Discord? Are you guys still using it?

EulaCapra

I know Japan already had Sperm White versus Piss Yellow for a Splatfest...
tShnyei.jpg
...but I respect Splatoon's avoidance of red ink even if it goes well with a Holiday theme.

SeanR1221

Starting to get back into this awesome game after it won at the VGAs.

Is motion control still the superior way to play?

I have to admit it was tough going back to the motion controls. I'm half tempted to switch back to sticks :/

backlot

Starting to get back into this awesome game after it won at the VGAs.

Is motion control still the superior way to play?

I have to admit it was tough going back to the motion controls. I'm half tempted to switch back to sticks :/

Motion controls appear to be the generally preferred method but there are people who play with sticks even at a competitive level.

ss-hikaru

What a shame that splatoon didn't get any special costumes for characters. Oh well maybe in the sequel.

Scan amiibo for extra costumes XD
I'd actually love that

Kinda funny that they did the squid girl costume only. Where's the Mario one, he's usually the first costume to get thrown into games (thinking Rayman, Monster Hunter off the top of my head). I haven't been seeing much new gear in the shops (cos I'm unlucky), is there no Mario or Luigi hat?

KevinCow

Banned
Motion controls appear to be the generally preferred method but there are people who play with sticks even at a competitive level.

Is there a competitive scene for the game? I mean it would be pretty hard, if not impossible, to set up local tournaments, so everything would have to be online, right?

ChrisD

Does S+ stick with +4/-4 for win/loss throughout the rank, or does it become more harsh when you get higher?

I love that I can always know how much is on the line instead of the 3~8 range you deal with in S. :X

ffdgh

Does S+ stick with +4/-4 for win/loss throughout the rank, or does it become more harsh when you get higher?

I love that I can always know how much is on the line instead of the 3~8 range you deal with in S. :X
If I recall correctly...and looking at the patch notes,

4 -4 for 0-39
3 -5 for 40 - 79
2 -5 for for 80-99

Hilariously enough it was waaaay harder pre patch apparently

3 -6
2 -6
2 -8

KevinCow

Banned
Is there a good Youtube channel that has some tournament matches or something? Or... I guess it would be hard to record matches, wouldn't it? And impossible to spectate. Damn. Nintendo really needs to get that shit together for Splatoon 2. (Spla2n? Splatwoon?) I think it could be a pretty popular competitive game on their hands if they added just a few features. Better local play, the ability to record matches (and maybe even upload them to Youtube?), the ability to spectate matches, and some way to transfer your loadout from your home console to the tournament (this would actually be a great use for amiibo).

Anyway I've decided that I care more about my Inkling looking fresh than the stats my clothes have. Goodbye, lame white anchor tee! I don't need your Ninja Squid when I've got style! And I've also ditched my Splattershot Jr. in favor of a Heavy Splatling Deco. Thinking about switching to the regular Heavy Splatling... but I dunno, I like the jewels on the Deco. And the Kraken is great for getting out of tight spots. But that Inkstrike is so tempting...

ChrisD

If I recall correctly...and looking at the patch notes,

4 -4 for 0-39
3 -5 for 40 - 79
2 -5 for for 80-99

Hilariously enough it was waaaay harder pre patch apparently

3 -6
2 -6
2 -8

I'm fine with that chart! I remembered Heng talking about the +3/-6 thing in another thread back in the summer, so I was pretty confused (though gladly confused hah).

Thanks for digging it out, wouldn't think to check patch notes.

Looks like Nintendo AU/NZ (?) jumped the gun, cause the Zink Mini Splatling is coming tomorrow!

CV7Ex4XWoAEIuAw.jpg:small

Comes with Disruptor and Bubbler >:]

Oooooooh.
*imagines the fun*

*imagines Ranked lobbies*

nvm, get it OUT of this game

champloo

It seems nobody is using the vanilla Mini Splatling. Is that a bad weapon? how is the Zink gonna change that? it has the same sub/special as the tri-slosher

ChrisD

It seems nobody is using the vanilla Mini Splatling. Is that a bad weapon? how is the Zink gonna change that? it has the same sub/special as the tri-slosher

Mini-Splatling is a strange off-shoot of the Tentatek Splattershot (one of the best all-around weapons in the game). It's not bad, but why use it when the Tentatek exists.

The Zink is like that but with an actual disparity. I can't think of a single reason to use Tri-Slosher when this comes out; it's better in nearly every way. The only thing you really lose is a bit of spread to your shot, and killing over short walls. Then you go and gain range, speed, and more kill power.

I like the mini splatling a lot. I just happen to like other loadouts more :p

The mini splatling is super fun, but gets compared against the tentatek pretty often. I think it can still excel over the tentatek in certain cases though.

I'm excited for the zink mini, as it will be a similar loadout as the tri slosher but with more range, so it may be able to better capitalize on the disruptors.

Mini-Splatling is a strange off-shoot of the Tentatek Splattershot (one of the best all-around weapons in the game). It's not bad, but why use it when the Tentatek exists.

The Zink is like that but with an actual disparity. I can't think of a single reason to use Tri-Slosher when this comes out; it's better in nearly every way. The only thing you really lose is a bit of spread to your shot, and killing over short walls. Then you go and gain range, speed, and more kill power.
I would prefer the mini over the tentatek on flatter maps, or if I'm applying a more defensive strategy.

Zink mini still needs to spin up before attacking, whereas the tri slosher doesn't have this problem. The need to spin up is why the tentatek tends to be favored over the mini.

Nightii

Banned
By Chris' logic, would that make the Slosher Deco obsolete with .96 GalDeco around? I haven't tried out the latter at all, but I do know it's super popular, should I give up chucking ink for it? I like mah bucket a lot...

J@hranimo

Banned

I use it! (and no one else does :p) but it's a fun weapon. Like Chris said, ultimately the Tentatek is better with the consistent rate of fire over charged spurts of fire. I like its charge rate over the Tentatek and I really like the vanilla splattershot over the the tentatek so....yeah lol. It's a different playstyle that serves a similar purpose, but I'd say the Zink variant will be a lot better and I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

ChrisD

I would prefer the mini over the tentatek on flatter maps, or if I'm applying a more defensive strategy.

Zink mini still needs to spin up before attacking, whereas the tri slosher doesn't have this problem. The need to spin up is why the tentatek tends to be favored over the mini.

I suppose I am being a bit harsh on the Mini in the Tentatek comparison. Faster kill time and more defensive play is a definite plus (even if highly stage dependent). Though the opinion of Zink > Tri still stands. As even though you have to spin, you have more range to work with now. Even with the short spin cycle you can move more freely and are given more opportunities to attack.

You're more susceptible to successful flanks since you have less retaliation time, but being flanked isn't a good thing for any weapon. :p

By Chris' logic, would that make the Slosher Deco obsolete with .96 GalDeco around? I haven't tried out the latter at all, but I do know it's super popular, should I give up chucking ink for it? I like mah bucket a lot...

#Screw.96Deco
#Pre-PatchWalls
#TheseWoundsTheyWillNotHeal

I think the .96 is the "better" weapon just due to it's all around usefulness (or in other words, less dependency on maps), but it's not the same case as with the Zink/Tri. The Tri Slosher is a (relatively) short ranged weapon, that's largely why I think Zink will take over its spot. Slosher Deco doesn't have the same issue, it has some range to work with. Not as much as the .96, but not enough that the difference is a game-changer, either. (Accuracy is better on buckets, too.)

Also working in the SD's favor is that you can slosh over Splash Walls while hiding behind your own wall. It's a nice check to have against .52's and .96's -- some of the most common guns.

So no, I wouldn't quit using the Slosher Deco in fear of it being an inferior version. There are tactical reasons to use it over the .96.

Edited to add some stuff.

nom

Is there a good Youtube channel that has some tournament matches or something?

It's a bit all over the place because right now the serious tournaments are online so you have to rely on players to stream/record using capture cards - and even then you might be limited to one POV. EndGame do the most 'prestigious' (non-Japanese) tournament series called InkStorm, you can find some videos here but they haven't uploaded any of the latest one.

You can also look through individual players profiles like Memories' Yugo, Paradise's Dude, and our GAF clan ;)

Currently there isn't really a good go to place for all this stuff.

KevinCow

Banned
It's a bit all over the place because right now the serious tournaments are online so you have to rely on players to stream/record using capture cards - and even then you might be limited to one POV. EndGame do the most 'prestigious' (non-Japanese) tournament series called InkStorm, you can find some videos here but they haven't uploaded any of the latest one.

You can also look through individual players profiles like Memories' Yugo, Paradise's Dude, and our GAF clan ;)

Currently there isn't really a good go to place for all this stuff.

Does anyone play Turf War competitively? Or has it been determined to be unbalanced or something?

nom

Does anyone play Turf War competitively? Or has it been determined to be unbalanced or something?

It's been used in some local tournaments done by Nintendo (which is mainly for the purpose of advertising), some early Japanese online tournaments and the very first Western online tournament (which was a disaster) - but the opinion right now is that it is unsuitable for competitive play and it's only used in fun/gimmick tournaments.

Top Bottom