• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Moondrop

Banned
Anyone who picks Team Nice thinking "less popular = more wins" may be in for a rude awakening.

It's obvious that there is no inherent correlation between less popularity and better performance, as there could exist questions that divide the talent pool equally. The reason we've seen this trend is that the splatfest teams do not subdivide the talent pool equally. And the most likely principal component on which it is selecting is age.

Who thinks being nice is better than being naughty? Young kids. So I predict Team Nice will skew young, and thus be composed of some very good forumgoers trying to cleverly counterpick and many more very bad players.

Cynicism: Marie is Team Nice only because she's on the right and the second to speak.

As for the Zink Mini (zinkmini? zinkini?), eh, I dunno. I performed well enough, but that may have just been my bucket experience. The mini never seems to have enough ink to take out two foes. I can't stand waiting to fire, which also seems to mitigate most of the range benefits I would have. And the delay is exacerbated when your gun is your only method of inking. A slow TTK is the exact opposite of what I love about my latest affair, the Heavy Nozzlenose.

J@hranimo

Banned
Anyone who picks Team Nice thinking "less popular = more wins" may be in for a rude awakening.

It's obvious that there is no inherent correlation between less popularity and better performance, as there could exist questions that divide the talent pool equally. The reason we've seen this trend is that the splatfest teams do not subdivide the talent pool equally. And the most likely principal component on which it is selecting is age.

Who thinks being nice is better than being naughty? Young kids. So I predict Team Nice will skew young, and thus be composed of some very good forumgoers trying to cleverly counterpick and many more very bad players.

Cynicism: Marie is Team Nice only because she's on the right and the second to speak.

As for the Zink Mini (zinkmini? zinkini?), eh, I dunno. I performed well enough, but that may have just been my bucket experience. The mini never seems to have enough ink to take out two foes. I can't stand waiting to fire, which also seems to mitigate most of the range benefits I would have. And the delay is exacerbated when your gun is your only method of inking. A slow TTK is the exact opposite of what I love about my latest affair, the Heavy Nozzlenose.

And this is why nowadays most of Splatgaf takes the "wait and see" approach. Also as much as I like the color green and Marie, dat reddish ink we rarely see may be too much to pass up haha.

NotLiquid

CWDB7EAUYAAKDm4.jpg

ether

Man going back to Splatoon after 35 hours of Xenoblade Chrincles X wasn't a great idea. Firstly 60fps made me a bit nauseous but the control sensitivity also got me.

Also the teams I was with were fairly bad. Like super jump all the time never paint the base oh and trading KOs all the time as they used really short ranged weapons. The worst thing is two of these were level 50 players. :( The map rotation (mall, museum, dome) is also pro-inkstrike meta which is a pain to get on top of (especially where your inkstriker decides to risk death to inkstrike 2 feet into front of them in the last 15 seconds of a match).

40/50 on defender so it will be a long night...well, morning (I tend to try and get about 25 into Champion and split the splatfest over both days, not planning on playing much more tonight though). Yeah, pro pineapple might have been a mistake.

KevinCow

Banned
Have you ever had such a good match that you don't even want to play for the rest of the day because there's nowhere to go but down?

ChrisD

Have you ever had such a good match that you don't even want to play for the rest of the day because there's nowhere to go but down?

Brings up a branching choice:

Keep playing because maybe you're on a roll and that was just the beginning and you'll do something cooler.

Stop playing and just be happy.

I've had a couple of those, yeah :) generally though, I have a lot of fun playing Splatoon, even when I lose, so I can usually quit a session whenever I want.

Do you mean splatoon.nintendo.net? If so then It's been up in English for a couple of months now.
Ah, I see. Last time I checked I think it was only available in Japanese.
It's very well designed but also disappointing. I expected an actual stat tracking site.

I guess the stat tracking site Nintendo has announced at the recent direct show, is still in development. Or maybe it is this site and they're working on a big update for it.

Anyone who can confirm?

ChrisD

Is there much else to say than lol? Haha.
Reminds me of the funeral pallbearer posts from a while back.

"I want my teammates to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one more time."

It slayed me every time I ran across it, because we've ALL been in the position (and have been the teammate in question at other times :p).

Zink Mini is so good. It allows for such an aggressive play style. I love it.
Yeah, I'm definitely getting a juggernaut feeling when I use Zink Mini =] feels much more natural to use Bubbler instead of Inkzooka. I certainly like the fact that I can zone off Splattershots and outstrafe Nzaps if I hit them with Disruptors.

My main problem when going from Mini to Zink Mini is that I've basically traded away all my long range options. Even if I get bubble, I can still get bullied around, and there's not much I can do if they outrange me.

I think I just fell in love with the Tri Slosher.

It seems that I've finally found an alternative to the splattershot junior after 50h of playtime.

Gotta love dem bubbles.

Turns out I was wrong about last night I was at 22 in defender not 40. Took me nearly an hour to get to Champion. I'm out. I really don't want to spend another 4 hours on this.

It is bad enough having players who at ripe level of 14 have not figured out that ink refills faster while in ground inked of the same colour (seriously a dynamo roller just chilling in the floor in squid form) but when you have a level 45 player with nothing better to do of a Sunday than deliberately play badly I feel I can't catch a break.

So yeah worst Splatfest ever...outside of North vs. South where I couldn't finish a single match...

phanphare

Banned
How can people say then it's not worth the time?
I mean you earn as many coins in splatfests as in regular turf war AND get those 18 snails.

Being matched with a bad team can be frustrating though.

because it really does depend on the quality of your team. if you're not getting the win bonus every time it's going to take a long time to fully rank up.

Finally hit Queen, whoop!

I'm not great at the game and Splatfest is usually several hours grinding for me, probably 4+ across last night and this afternoon. Probably would have taken longer if I hadn't lucked out with good teams for large chunks of time.

I hope they someday make it possible to play Splatfest with friends. Would be cool to join up with a few buddies and would definitely lessen the grind.

ChrisD

My longest Splatfest was something like 4 hours.
Shortest was nearly the minimum, coming at around 2 hours and 50 minutes.

It's totally team-dependent. A horrible streak of teams is enough to not want to finish, even if Snails do save you hours of grind.

ChrisD

Team Ghost and now Team Anti-Pineapple, looks like 'less popular = win' was a false correlation.

It's mainly a correlation for NA. It's the opposite in Japan, if memory serves correctly (opposite isn't the right word, I suppose, but popularity was a big part in their wins).

Whoah! 24 super sea snails!?

I've participated at only one splatfest so far (tidy and messy) and have been on the loosing side, resulting in only 18 snails. Didn't know the winner side is rewarded with more of them.

Decided to finally start the single player earlier on today and went for the 3rd boss for the aerospray unlock. The SP was surprisingly fun and full of fresh ideas. Definitely worth playing. If I knew it would take only one hour to the 3rd boss, I would have done it months ago...

Aerospray seems pretty decent. Ink spread and general output is very good, but I have a harder time with splats, than with other weapons like the splattershot jr. Probably because aerospray is five-shot and splattershot jr. four-shot.

I decided to turn on the motion controls in SP but I have a very hard time getting into them. It just feels very unfamiliar for someone who has been playing fps on consoles for more than 10 years. But it definitely feels like motion controls are the way this game is meant to be played.

Top Bottom