• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Rize_21

It was so hard...
IdIPs9U.jpg
At least I got the white punk boots with a triple run speed up.

Is it just me or is Team Hot Dog's player quality dropping by the hour? Earlier I'd be lucky to win every 5 matches, now the hot dog fools are lucky to make it a close one.

Hmm, I was absolutely destroying with North Pole and even found decent teams.

Unsurprising, most of South Pole is awful beyond all comprehension. Like roller trains inking over each other's paths and ignoring the other 90% of the base when we're in the last 30 seconds with our base lost but enough other ground to make scraping a win possible.

Unsurprising, most of South Pole is awful beyond all comprehension. Like roller trains inking over each other's paths and ignoring the other 90% of the base when we're in the last 30 seconds with our base lost but enough other ground to make scraping a win possible.

Yeah, pretty much. I maybe fought 2-3 decent teams while ranking up. Even had a zero death (in the whole team) round. Crazy.

Solobbos

Joining South Pole was the worst choice ever. I've played for five ours, still a few losses from best rank. Lots of penguin loving children playing with me, I presume.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I feel like I'm getting stuck with the hot dogs that have been rotating in a movie theater for too long

woopWOOP

Splatfest got me back after a few weeks of non-Splatooning
Holy crap have I gotten terrible in that time, ha. Doesn't help I never played the campsite map before. That one doesn't seem to be all that roller friendly.
Saw a friend play the 2.0 update before tho. Shame that some of the ranked map changes didn't carry over to turf wars, like the extra ledges on moray towers.

How to be good at Splatoon:

1) Play against Team Hot Dog
2) Observe what they do.
3) Do the opposite.
4) Enjoy suddenly being amazing at Splatoon.

Geg

Oh, EU has Arowana Mall? That's the one stage that hasn't been in any NA Splatfest, how does it look at night?

So I have lost the last 6 or 7 games of splatfest and I need a diagnosis. Is it because:

A) I suck
B) I'm level 6
C) Team Hotdog players suck
D) I'm using motion controls (without didn't feel much better...)
E) All of the Above

Whatever the case is, I'm starting to get turned off Splatoon from the high amount of losses. A week ago I was always second best on the team. I don't know what's going on.

Also thanks NOA for giving us a dumb and lopsided splatfest. I could have told you before taking one look at Inkopolis that marshmallow would win the popularity contest. I only chose Hotdog because I don't have a horse in this race.

NotLiquid

Oh, EU has Arowana Mall? That's the one stage that hasn't been in any NA Splatfest, how does it look at night?

Very pretty. The mall lights make it come alive.

So I have lost the last 6 or 7 games of splatfest and I need a diagnosis. Is it because:

A) I suck
B) I'm level 6
E) All of the Above

Whatever the case is, I'm starting to get turned off Splatoon from the high amount of losses. A week ago I was always second best on the team. I don't know what's going on.

Also thanks NOA for giving us a dumb and lopsided splatfest. I could have told you before taking one look at Inkopolis that marshmallow would win the popularity contest. I only chose Hotdog because I don't have a horse in this race.

Judging by above posts, C) probably has some to do with it. Maybe a little B) and by proxy a little bit of A) but that's fine, it seems like you're still new to the experience. Gyro is good but might take time getting used to.

With Splatfests there's often times where you just get plain unlucky with teams.

Geg

A) I suck
B) I'm level 6
E) All of the Above

Are you staying with the same teammates each match or leaving and finding a new room? If you find yourself losing too much try to find some different teammates.

And yeah if you're a fairly new or inexperienced player you may find it hard to keep up in Splatfest due to the high amount of more experienced players you're going up against. I don't think the usual skill/playstyle-based matchmaking applies during Splatfest.

ryechu

Judging by above posts, C) probably has some to do with it. Maybe a little B) and by proxy a little bit of A) but that's fine, it seems like you're still new to the experience. Gyro is good but might take time getting used to.

With Splatfests there's often times where you just get plain unlucky with teams.

I doubt he is better than the average hotdog player since he obviously just started with the game. Its B, and A. And splatfests are generally slightly higher skilled than turfwars overall with the caveat that the matchmaking is more random. So if you are better than the average its going to seem lower skilled. While if you are around or below average its going to seem harder.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I made it to hot dog champion, too bored to grind to king and The Witcher 3 is beckoning.

NotLiquid

I doubt he is better than the average hotdog player since he obviously just started with the game. Its B, and A. And splatfests are generally slightly higher skilled than turfwars overall with the caveat that the matchmaking is more random. So if you are better than the average its going to seem lower skilled. While if you are around or below average its going to seem harder.

Even if you're not necessarily a good player it can be partially set aside if the Squad is good enough to help carry you. It's true that not being very good makes you a detriment but you should be expecting more from your team mates overall as well. It's a team game after all, hence why the three first reasonings he mentioned all apply. It's an equal mix of being new, not being very good and the team mates also not being the best.

Gonna take a break from grinding for marshmallow king, sure is fun getting payback against those hot dog players.

Also, the more I play the more I learn about the neat little things they put into each map like the amount of ways you can travel through the Moray Towers. I'm actually glad that the whole hours-long rotation is in place now! :)

Are you staying with the same teammates each match or leaving and finding a new room? If you find yourself losing too much try to find some different teammates.

And yeah if you're a fairly new or inexperienced player you may find it hard to keep up in Splatfest due to the high amount of more experienced players you're going up against. I don't think the usual skill/playstyle-based matchmaking applies during Splatfest.

Thanks guys, that's somewhat reassuring. Without motion controls it feels like the reticle jumps from one position to another instead of moving in a path if that makes sense. Maybe that's due to the gamepad?

Out of curiosity what sensitivity do yall have it set to?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Taking a break to eat, will be back shortly if it's not full

GGs

It's another thing Nintendo should fix on the next patch. If host leaves, which can happen at any time for any reason, it should switch over to another player in the room. I sent some of you in the room friend requests. Going to get a room going in 5 minutes or so.

AGoodODST

Not played Slatoon is a good while but thought I'd jump back in due to the update. Still so fun to play. The new wmaps are cool, especially Moray Towers.

Also Team North Pole.

Hackworth

So I was part of a totally beast South Pole squad for like eight games then half of them left and Sunset and I got matched with nerds. Taking a break to actually eat something.

Eight-game win streaks on Splatoon are my new hangover cure.

Top Bottom