• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Ozium

Why do people, who are in the middle of the map, think it's a good idea to run back to the spawn point to paint an inkstrike instead of waiting for someone to respawn and take care of it.. the fuck is the thought process in these people's brains?

Splatfest Cycle:

Get unlucky connecting with a few bad squad members
Lose the next 3-4 rounds as you reconnect to find better squad members
"Shit, Team -x- sucks"
Get lucky in connecting with a good squad
Stay with the squad for the next 20 games
"Team -y- ain't shit, step up your game"
Disconnect in the Lobby after a hot streak
Repeat

My Splatfest cycle:

Get stuck in a match with complete morons, quit immediately
Repeat 3 more times
Get in a really good team, win 1 game
"Lost connection to team. Returning to lobby"
Return to step 1

Why do people, who are in the middle of the map, think it's a good idea to run back to the spawn point to paint an inkstrike instead of waiting for someone to respawn and take care of it.. the fuck is the thought process in these people's brains?
Sometimes I specifically blow my inkstrike to cover an enemy one up purely to stop someone mindlessly running back to ink it.

Geg

oh well maybe that was it haha

Yeah I could tell that was you throwing the burst bombs up at me near your spawn point. Kept me stalled until another one of your teammates forced me to escape with an inkstrike

Edit: Dammit, lost connection with my team four wins away from Queen. The charger on my team was really good, kept saving me and taking out enemies who killed me. Turns out he was A rank

Dyne

I got to Hot Dog King by 3pm for this splatfest. Sorry team Marshmallow!

Anybody notice lag this time around? I have experienced no frame drops up until today. Although previously I noticed delayed kills and splats. Very weird.

I'm on team marshmallow and I've lost count of how many times my team has lost while I score around 1000 points.

It would be nice to at least get an occasional win. =/
I averaged around 450 points. I also basically hopped from weak team to weak team. Still won the vast majority of my matches.

Of course, my win margins weren't very large.

Ahnez

It was fun actually lol

Cylinder of Meat Hot Dog King

WVW69iRQ-Jo-4PmY2q

Also, I should use those snails someday lol

Zing

Banned
I feel like such an ass. I just had a match where we won with 94% spawn camping. Match ends and two of the opponents are level 3 and 4. :(

I usually just hang back and give the other team a chance to have some fun. Dunno why I charged in that time. I hate to spoil fun for any marshmallow kids.

Zing

Banned
I also noticed that hot dogs now are worse. We still win every time but not the 80% blowouts I had this morning.

phanphare

Banned
Most of the good players became kings/queens early and left, probably..

yeah that makes sense

this morning I was running around with the splatling gun doing work. when I played in the evening I had to switch to the splattershot so I could carry a bit more.

Geg

Made it finally. Vibe meter is lower than both the previous splatfests though. I can't tell if it's just worse teammates or better competition or both.

Final match was a really exciting one on Moray against a team of mostly long range weapons. The thing about teams like that on Moray is that once they lose the middle and the enemy starts advancing it's hard for them to take it back. Taking out their splatling with a killer wail and rushing forward in the confusion to take out their e-liter basically won us the game.

I feel like such an ass. I just had a match where we won with 94% spawn camping. Match ends and two of the opponents are level 3 and 4. :(

I usually just hang back and give the other team a chance to have some fun. Dunno why I charged in that time. I hate to spoil fun for any marshmallow kids.
If it makes you feel better, I was generally a horrible human being on Moray Towers. I usually camped in that area close to the center for virtually the entire match instead of actually playing the game properly.

Zing

Banned
If it makes you feel better, I was generally a horrible human being on Moray Towers. I usually camped in that area close to the center for virtually the entire match instead of actually playing the game properly.
That is exactly what I do with the Dual Squelcher. I just defend our half while teammates be dicks.

Geg

That is exactly what I do with the Dual Squelcher. I just defend our half while teammates be dicks.

I did this in a game against a team that had a level 7 and a level 1. I just stood near the middle and admired the scenery and music while taking out anyone who managed to drop down

It's funny when the other team is all short range weapons and you come in with a custom jet squelcher. They can't hit you even from the top bridge in camp.

Hackworth

I think I'd like splatfests more if I didn't get connection drops whenever I get a good team.

EDIT: Last round reminded me of a hint for newbies I was going to post: ink behaves like a liquid, so you can block allied shots by standing in front of them.
Likewise, you'll bounce off any allies or opponents you walk or swim into.

Azure J

Edit: I feel like this should be posted here:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01nqphp.jpg

Finishing kinda weak versus my last two Splatfests, but I really felt the grind this time and it was too much to overcome. I had some pretty fun moments including my first legitimate opening quad in a room. Overall though, I really need to get into the habit of grinding out to the highest/second highest rank first before putting off more matches to the midday.
So if I wanted to play brush what gear should I be going for, attack power or defense?

I feel like you want to maximize on Ink Saver Main (to fling ink more regularly and cover longer distances with brush mode), Ink Recovery (brushes spend a lot of time moving in between pools of ink and this ability really helps get you back on your feet fast; it also synergizes with Ink Saver Main), and Swim Speed Up. After this, a mix of Special Charge Up (to get Bubbler faster, launch more Inkstrikes, or Kraken up) and one of either Ninja Squid (to get the drop on people or just support without detection) or Cold Blooded (failsafe so that opposing teams with echolocator don't harass you) could be to your benefit.

At the same time, consider that this is just a general build. There's more ideas that other brush players here will leave for you depending on the brush you want to play.

Triple stream chaos :p

Niiice.

This was the first Splatfest where I decided to go all in on the "holding zone" style of charger. It got pretty silly on Moray when these children were jumping into the middle and I'm just there shooting them like its Clay Shooting on the NES. :lol

I've been playing this game for over two months and I still can't get used to the recticle moving around constantly. It's so frustrating how, when an enemy is below you and you try to point at them, the damn thing locks on to the nearest edge instead, making it literally impossible to aim at the person. Is there any way to make the recticle always lock at the center of the screen? I seriously can't stand this and its killed me countless times. I've looked around and have seen people not understanding the issue at all when others brought it up, I hope some people here know what I'm talking about and don't say wrong stuff like its a controller issue.

Geg

I've been playing this game for over two months and I still can't get used to the recticle moving around constantly. It's so frustrating how, when an enemy is below you and you try to point at them, the damn thing locks on to the nearest edge instead, making it literally impossible to aim at the person. Is there any way to make the recticle always lock at the center of the screen? I seriously can't stand this and its killed me countless times.

The reticle moves because it's showing where your shot will actually hit when there's something in your way, rather than just straight where you're aiming. If you're on a platform above someone and you try to shoot them and your reticle snaps to the floor you're standing on, it means you're too far away from the edge of the platform to actually hit them with your weapon.

Zing

Banned
Yes, the reticle here isn't an arbitrary aiming device like in other shooters. It is simply an indicator as to where your shot will land.

Taichu

Got to Marshmallow King rank. Anecdotally, I had a lot of marshmallow VS marshmallow matches, so I'm guessing marshmallow wins the popularity portion. Beat nearly every hotdog team I went up against, but who knows... I was team cat and waterslide too. =/

The reticle moves because it's showing where your shot will actually hit when there's something in your way, rather than just straight where you're aiming. If you're on a platform above someone and you try to shoot them and your reticle snaps to the floor you're standing on, it means you're too far away from the edge of the platform to actually hit them with your weapon.

I guess it's just an inherent design problem with third person shooters themselves, the gun is facing a slightly different position than your head. I don't think I'll ever get used to this since its already been two months. I wish they could add a first person mode or something. Cant stand the recticle moving around.

Top Bottom