• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

SeanR1221

I have uh....20 hours played? lol

My most played game EVER is Destiny at like 250, to give you an idea. I don't stick with games that long.

Hi folks!

So... I guess I have interest in signing up for Part Time Warriors. I can't guarantee that I'll always be available to squad and participate, but eventually I'd like to play in Splatoon tourneys :3

How shall I make that happen?

Nightii

Banned
Yo, is anybody up for a Squad? I've come to realize I fear Kelp Dome Splat Zones. Maybe it's just me not getting what I have to do, but it feels like the map is so open in a way that makes me always a huge target from every possible side.

Maybe Regular Slosher or Sloshing Machine would do better here?

ChrisD

I can for a bit, if you wanna' give another shot without Towers. This rotation will greatly benefit Dynamo Roller, too.

On Kelp Dome... For Buckets I'd try to play more stealthily and kill through the grates. Normal may be better for that because Burst Bomb/Slosh combo should work through them. Deco I'd play the same but more defensively with Walls. Walls on Dome are great if you just keep the vertical approach in mind.

Unicorn

Thanks guys. I've been so on the fence about a Wii U, and finding hard to justify only for splatoon. I was looking today and with the release of FAST and Xenoblade I might be tipping the scales to getting one. Can't find a good deal on the bundle anymore that had splatoon and smash. Maybe I'll grab it when I get some Christmas money or something. I'm also hesitant about it because the console is about to be eclipsed by the NX and a dwindling playerbase. I have almost 200 hours in rocket league but the playerbase is 10% what it was released month and that's a cross platform title that was free for a majority of that same playerbase.

Also, in case you didn't know, Best Buy had the trio amiibo pack online in stock. Maybe gone now. I contemplated it, but I don't have a Wii U or felt silly getting that if I didn't even know if the content it would give was worth 35$.

ChrisD

That flank though!
I just held down the zone and picked any stragglers you three left hahah!

Early loss of Zone Control on Kelp was on me, sorry. Didn't check my map to see how it was doing, then got cocky trying to spawn camp. :X

ChrisD

Freaking AFK.

Please tell me that only dropped you one or two, that's ridiculous.

I think we focused too much on trying to get the Roller out of our base, when we could have went side-route and forced him to move. Can't camp if no one is moving that way.

ChrisD

That... was a closer one. Great hold at the end, one grab and they'd have it.

One last round and I've gotta go. Lets go on a high note!

Hrmm. Or it can error out. Think I'll call that the game's way of saying stop there.

Those definitely played out better than last time! Good games. :D

Nightii

Banned
I take it that Underpass victory was the high note, right? It was a nice ending indeed!

Thanks Chris! Great games, especially we even did quite well in Dome, or at least I think so.

EDIT: Oh, it was actually an error lol, but yeah, that was a good match to end it on.

I ended going up from 55 to 97, I'll be honest, I'm scared of going back to solo ranked...

ChrisD

Breaking past the double Dynamo wall was certainly a proper high note. They should have been able to come back, though. They just got too complacent when winning, and too aggressive when losing.

Still. I'll take it!

Kelp Zones is one of my favorites for Rollers and Chargers. But Dynamo is my favorite (likely because it's easiest :lol) for its good reclaiming zone capabilities when behind, while also being one of the best center holds. I kept getting even and negative records in that run, but you establish an early foothold with a Dynamo and Charger? So good. Those two form a solid defense on Kelp -- allows the other two to play seriously aggressive.

Yo, you can get to A in Solo! NeoGAF it and BELIEVE

Nightii

Banned
I was pretty damn scared when I saw so many Dynamos in the last battle, but yeah, once they got pushed back it was done. The Charger also continued to perch on the tower near their spawn point only to die, can't believe he/she didn't figure out I had a comfy position to spam Splash Wall with enough reach to splat him/her.

Charge/Dynamo combos are definitely what created my fear of Kelp Zones, they would simply shut me out with little near no chance to sneak back in and do lasting damage.

Sneaking around more from the sides more helped alleviate that, but of course, you need your team to reliably hold the battle at the center for at least long enough so that I could drop the bucket on the Charger and take his/her position to my advantage.

EDIT: Tried to make the jump to A in solo ranked: Urchin Underpass, it was pretty close and super tense, with 1 minute to go....connection error, I go down to 85.....I think I'm done playing for tonight.

Kito

How many hours of playtime do y'all have.

I think this statistic is more interesting in contrast to my other Wii U games:

Splatoon - 330
3D World - 17
Captain Toad - 9
Mario Kart - 7
Smash - 3
Yoshi - 1
NSMBU - 1

Splatoon alone justified my Wii U purchase. Before Splatoon, I was 'meh' on whether the console was worth it. I don't usually pick up new franchises like Wonderful or Bayonetta, but for some reason Splatoon's trailer reminded me of a minigame (Pogo Painter) in Crash Bash and I felt compelled to get it.

I work full time too and don't have any friends to play it with me.

Join our Discord server (link in the OP) and you'll always have someone to squad up with.

Join our Discord server (link in the OP) and you'll always have someone to squad up with.

Talking about squadding up.
It's such a shame that parties aren't allowed in turf war while lobby join being even completely dismissed at splatfests, which pretty much halves the fun for such an otherwise fresh event-idea.

Not everyone feels like going all in in to high competitive ranked mode and playing super strategic. Not to mention the pressure of ranking up and down all the time.
Some people just want to have a good time with their friends in turf war and mindlessly spray that ink all over the place together with them.

What a waste.

I wonder if Nintendo has ever given a statement on this and if so, what their excuse was.
It was probably something like this: "We give parties to those who seek the competitive challenge in ranked mode. But no parties for the second mode to ensure that the 7 year old player can win a game too when being teamed up with experienced players."

Yeah. RNG making life fair.

MFishy

Banned
Hello squids!

I am so happy to be able to join this community. I actually applied for membership here back in September when I bought the game and was looking for places to talk about it, but for some reason I wasn't able to post until now!

I've had Splatoon for 3 months now and the fact is, I am (still) absolutely addicted.

The ONLY reason I bought the game was because Best Buy was having a sale where you could buy Mario Maker and they'd throw in Splatoon at a discounted price. Quite frankly, I've never liked shooters, so my expectations were super low.

Well, turns out since that sale (back in September!) Ive only played Mario Maker twice because I've been too busy playing Splatoon almost every day instead.

Talking about squadding up.
It's such a shame that parties aren't allowed in turf war while lobby join being even completely dismissed at splatfests, which pretty much halves the fun for such an otherwise fresh event-idea.

Not everyone feels like going all in in to high competitive ranked mode and playing super strategic. Not to mention the pressure of ranking up and down all the time.
Some people just want to have a good time with their friends in turf war and mindlessly spray that ink all over the place together with them.

What a waste.

I wonder if Nintendo has ever given a statement on this and if so, what their excuse was.
It was probably something like this: "We give parties to those who seek the competitive challenge in ranked mode. But no parties for the second mode to ensure that the 7 year old player can win a game too when being teamed up with experienced players."

Yeah. RNG making life fair.

If I had to hazard a guess why casual squads don't exist, I'd guess it's because everything would go to hell the second an S+ competitive squad decides to make your life miserable by pressing the 'wrong' button.

To make sure high-level players can't collectively ruin your day, they're barred from playing against you. The only way for Nintendo to measure if they're too high-level for you though is to give you a rank too so they can identify you as someone not good enough to play against them. On the flip-side, it means you won't be going against players too low-level for you yourself.

To put it in other words, you can have a good time in a group already and you'll be matched with like-minded groups that aren't super-serious about it (or against super-serious groups that suck). It'd be redundant, really, if not for Turf Wars not being available in ranked at all. That, I figure, is the real issue.

DaBoss

Hello squids!

I am so happy to be able to join this community. I actually applied for membership here back in September when I bought the game and was looking for places to talk about it, but for some reason I wasn't able to post until now!

I've had Splatoon for 3 months now and the fact is, I am (still) absolutely addicted.

The ONLY reason I bought the game was because Best Buy was having a sale where you could buy Mario Maker and they'd throw in Splatoon at a discounted price. Quite frankly, I've never liked shooters, so my expectations were super low.

Well, turns out since that sale (back in September!) Ive only played Mario Maker twice because I've been too busy playing Splatoon almost every day instead.
Welcome! Yea, GAF members have to first be approved before being able to be posted, which could take a varying amount of months/days (months for some, or only a day for others).

Crisium

Looking for an updated website / doc with accurate weapon stats like damage, range, etc. There's been a lot of changes in 3.5 months. Any Squid have one?

Unicorn

Holy shit the wild goose chase I've been on today. Decided I want to bite for a Wii u and splatoon. Called up a target, said they had 3 in Stock. Get there and no. I assume the meant the Mario Kart bundle as they had 3 of those. Hit up best buy. Nothing. Walmart has it listed for site to store order. Do that. Decide to just pop in because it was on the way home. None on the shelf. Order still processing. Check the site again while I'm in line for pickup. Now none of the stores have it listed and it is removed from the top as a best seller. Previously 2 stores listed in Stock. Now unavailable. Store didn't have it...

Where the hell can I get it?

Hello squids!

Welcome to splat GAF, enjoy the discord link 😆

J@hranimo

Banned
Holy shit the wild goose chase I've been on today. Decided I want to bite for a Wii u and splatoon. Called up a target, said they had 3 in Stock. Get there and no. I assume the meant the Mario Kart bundle as they had 3 of those. Hit up best buy. Nothing. Walmart has it listed for site to store order. Do that. Decide to just pop in because it was on the way home. None on the shelf. Order still processing. Check the site again while I'm in line for pickup. Now none of the stores have it listed and it is removed from the top as a best seller. Previously 2 stores listed in Stock. Now unavailable. Store didn't have it...

Where the hell can I get it?

Whoa....where are you located?

Unicorn

Whoa....where are you located?

Phoenix AZ

Wal-mart still says processing. I paid for it, but the dude at the store said it'll probably be refunded, yet there may be a small chance that the warehouse has a stock of them to ship to stores. I doubt that though, given how Black Friday stuff works for most retailers. The stock is compartmentalized on pallets that are shipped to stores and cut open on BF, so all the bundles were shipped out and just were sold though. It was just weird it was listed as a best seller on the site and gave me no issues when placing the pick-up order. It must have been the last one, or it reset/refresh inventory check, because after that it was demoted to just in a list of bundles, but tagged as unavailable at all locations.

KevinCow

Banned
I can't figure out why I seem to be somewhat competent at this game but I'm terrible at all other shooters. I mean I went 11-0 in a match the other day. In other shooters I can usually barely get one kill. And I'm not even using motion controls.

Nightii

Banned
I can't figure out why I seem to be somewhat competent at this game but I'm terrible at all other shooters. I mean I went 11-0 in a match the other day. In other shooters I can usually barely get one kill. And I'm not even using motion controls.
This is just me, but I find the aesthetics to actually help a lot. The "ammo" is big and colorful, both it and the players stand out easily, making for much easier aiming for me.

Then there is the fact the movement in this game mocks all other shooters (imo), swimming is much more responsive than just running around.

LTBrrZ.gif

Poor Azure "Booyah" into his nuke doom.

J@hranimo

Banned
Phoenix AZ

Wal-mart still says processing. I paid for it, but the dude at the store said it'll probably be refunded, yet there may be a small chance that the warehouse has a stock of them to ship to stores. I doubt that though, given how Black Friday stuff works for most retailers. The stock is compartmentalized on pallets that are shipped to stores and cut open on BF, so all the bundles were shipped out and just were sold though. It was just weird it was listed as a best seller on the site and gave me no issues when placing the pick-up order. It must have been the last one, or it reset/refresh inventory check, because after that it was demoted to just in a list of bundles, but tagged as unavailable at all locations.

Dang man, I'm sorry that happened :(

I'm guessing what happened is that since it was a part of the Black Friday shipment like you said, they sold out of most of their stock already. The worst is that I'm thinking the info on the website doesn't equal their in store stock at the time. Hope you find it sometime soon though, that's the best Wii U bundle out there.

Dr_Squidlove_or_How_I_Learned_To_Super_Jump_Love_The_Strike.gif

Poor Azure "Booyah" into his nuke doom.

#TacticalInkstrike :p

Unicorn

Dang man, I'm sorry that happened :(

I'm guessing what happened is that since it was a part of the Black Friday shipment like you said, they sold out of most of their stock already. The worst is that I'm thinking the info on the website doesn't equal their in store stock at the time. Hope you find it sometime soon though, that's the best Wii U bundle out there.

#TacticalInkstrike :p

Yeah, I saw it in stores in the following week, but got busy with finishing up school and ramping back up at work.

The order is still "in process" and was supposed to be ready for pick up 2 hours ago. Night shift will be in full swing now, so I don't expect the status to change until tomorrow anyway. I see some other stores on the west side have them listed in stock, but I fucking paid for my local store pick-up. Logically, I would think they'd pull stock from those stores and ship it to the store where I am buying.

But much of Wal-mart is not logical, so we'll see. Worse case scenario, I'll get a refund and then I'll just find some old stuff to pawn to gamestop and buy a wii and splatoon that way to try and save a bit of money if I can't get the bundle.

RedFyn

Total play time; 570:19

I went from on average 100 hours a month to 15:26 in November. Currently at 28:38 for December.

I think I had the second highest playtime, sendou beat me by just a couple hours, when we first compared. Then you guys went crazy.

Just got my Wii U a couple weeks ago (Smash/Splatoon bundle), add me especially if in PST.
If you join discord (link in op) you can find people to play with much easier. Send me a friend request nnid:RedFyn and I'll make room for you.

Top Bottom