• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've had the game since a week after launch.
This is the first Splatfest I've gotten to participate in.

Fuck work.

Zing

Banned
I have been playing in Splatfest for hours despite reaching King long, long ago. It is relaxing. I think I have earned 150k today and I'm having fun.

Severance

Its my first splatfest, its been fun! Team Marshmallow ldo. Of all the things they could've done, marshmallow vs hot dog is kinda lame. Also, no white/cream ink for marshmallow after Japan had it? What a let down!

The only problem i have with splatfest is with the player pool split in two teams, the matches are a lot more one sided. I've never seen so many 70/30 split turf wars before.

Only had a couple hours to play but made it to a little after the start of Hot Dog Defender, so I'll finally see what these Super Sea Snails are like.

Seems like more people voted for marshmallows as my matchmaking times were quick and I always faced Marshmallow teams. Had a big losing streak at the start but switched weapons a few times and finally found success using the base Splat Charger and also a couple games with the heavy splatling at the end.

Most of my opponents seemed to be using the bucket or Aerospray, occasional other weapons and it was rare to see a charger which suprised me with both Camp and Moray Towers in the rotation.

edit: also checked out my stats, not so many points as others :)

X5B5uFw.png

Jims

Finally made it to Marshmallow King. Had a lot of Marshmallow vs Marshmallow matches at the end. Like 1-in-3. I think the Hot Dogs quit for the night.

Actually found a team with 2 Gold Aerospray users and made it work, for once. I was playing Dual Squelcher and the other guy was Heavy Splatling. Me and him were just fully committed to picking off the other team while the Aerosprays were spreading ink like a virus. Camp Triggerfish was our best map by far. It was fun going into enemy territory (especially Moray Towers) because the Aerosprays would jump to me, I would cover their landing, and then they would just wreck the entire base with ink. Who needs a Squid Beakon?

Zing

Banned
Most of my opponents seemed to be using the bucket or Aerospray, occasional other weapons and it was rare to see a charger which suprised me with both Camp and Moray Towers in the rotation.
I have seen maybe ten chargers, total, in about five hours of play today. I don't get it.

J@hranimo

Banned
Well that was awkward. Wanted to try out the slosher for a round just for kicks. I'm still absolutely terrible with this weapon, typically coming in around third or fourth place on the team most matches...but we just kept winning, so I didn't want to switch off of it. It's really strange to play knowing that you kind of suck with your gear but still technically being successful with it.

Maybe with some ink saver main gear and a custom version with different subweapons, I could see myself using the slosher more. But not for now, I'm just way too terrible with it in combat.

It's definitely a different beast as far as weapons go. So far it's best to not to be overly aggressive with it but rather smart. Try and take a higher ground to take advantage of its range and spread. Ink saver main and defense up are good with it. If you ever revisit it before the next weapon update, good luck!

KeigoNiwa

You are the Marshmellow King
Young and sweet
Always Kid-squidding

Marshmellow King
Feel the beat of Aerospray RG, ooo yeah

.... I can't figure out the rest haha

Made it finally. Vibe meter is lower than both the previous splatfests though. I can't tell if it's just worse teammates or better competition or both.

Final match was a really exciting one on Moray against a team of mostly long range weapons. The thing about teams like that on Moray is that once they lose the middle and the enemy starts advancing it's hard for them to take it back. Taking out their splatling with a killer wail and rushing forward in the confusion to take out their e-liter basically won us the game.

My last match to King (94/99) was on Moray too, a thrilling 3 (us) vs 4 (them) affair. Although it may have only been thrilling because I think they were Hot Dog children, and it was early 0530h Sunday morning and I was exhausted from an activity-filled Saturday.

Trying to Queen my girlfriend's account so that she can be extra stylish. She made it to Champion before passing out, too. Doubt I'll have time, but from my end it feels like a Marshmallow victory. Only lost against Hot Dogs twice, with the other losses against fellow Marshmallows.

Jims

Forgot, finally did that Splatoon website thing. Hopefully they do an English release in the future. Don't know what the Turf War number in the rankings mean. Mine says "255" but I don't know what that is. Number of battles won recently?

1. Dual Squelcher (353K)
2. Tentatek Splattershot (123K)
3. Octobrush (88K)
4. .96 Gal
5. Gold Aerospray (don't judge me, I was young!)
6. Forge Splattershot Pro
7. Custom Jet Squelcher
8. Splattershot Pro
9. .96 Gal Deco
10. N-ZAP '89

Haha, #1 almost tripled the #2 gun. Need to get more face time with the bottom half of the Top 10 list. And maybe start playing a roller.

I have seen maybe ten chargers, total, in about five hours of play today. I don't get it.

Yeah, especially with Moray Towers and Camp Triggerfish on the rotation. Blackbelly too! Every Camp game, the long rangers basically had free reign to drive the other side insane each match.

Forgot, finally did that Splatoon website thing. Hopefully they do an English release in the future. Don't know what the Turf War number in the rankings mean. Mine says "255" but I don't know what that is. Number of battles won recently?
#wins x win% x 10

Crayolan

I am level 10 and have played the game for 6 hours, yet somehow I am almost always at the top of my team. Why does Marshmallow suck so much?

Randoms suck. If you want to play people who are competent you gotta work your way up to at least rank B+ or play with gaf (or any other online splatoon community I guess).

Memles

It was strange. As a stubborn Aerospray user, there was never really anything that could really threaten me—I still had some losses, of course, but it never seemed like there was that constant threat of getting sniped. I was losing due to bad teams, not due to being outright outmatched, which should have been pretty simple.

Randoms suck. If you want to play people who are competent you gotta work your way up to at least rank B+ or play with gaf (or any other online splatoon community I guess).

I just unlocked ranked two days ago and haven't tried it yet. I think the game might have finally hooked me. I am doing amazing with the bucket (squelcher?) And my team is finally winning in these Splatfest matches.

Doorman

Hey now, don't just assume that just because we're on GAF means we're all competent. :p

What happens when Splatfest is over, and you're still in the plaza before it happens? Is it the normal broadcast, and then the next hour, it's the results?

Azure J

I probably fought 4 chargers total on my way to Marshmellow Queen. 2 of which were on one team on Camp Triggerfish earlier this evening, an E-Liter I had to deal with for my team on Moray and a Ryechu tier snap shooter yesterday night on Blackbelly. I don't get why there aren't any more since they eat these short rangers up for days and can do some good inking if need be.

Today, I AM A HOT DOG KING!

Mind you I can't imagine doing this for every splatfest. Though I reached it 30 minutes ago and just won 6 more matches.

I just got to +19.5. Just loss so I'm +18. Will try for +20 in a bit.

Go Team Hot Dog!

We're going to lose by popularity.

Um, I'm not going to lie, I ended up on a team that had two gold aeros, a splish-o-matic and my bucket and we haven't lost a match in an hour o_O

So the aerospray myth is really true???

Geg

I probably fought 4 chargers total on my way to Marshmellow Queen. 2 of which were on one team on Camp Triggerfish earlier this evening, an E-Liter I had to deal with for my team on Moray and a Ryechu tier snap shooter yesterday night on Blackbelly. I don't get why there aren't any more since they eat these short rangers up for days and can do some good inking if need be.

Yeah the e-liter I played against my last match on Moray was really good at snap shots. He actually took me out twice, once when I thought I had ambushed him. To be honest he probably could have gotten his team to take control again if not for me surprising and killing him by jumping to a beakon near him after the first time he killed me going up.

Other than that, the only good chargers I saw were on my team lol

Azure J

Um, I'm not going to lie, I ended up on a team that had two gold aeros, a splish-o-matic and my bucket and we haven't lost a match in an hour o_O

Splatfests are the weird "through the looking glass" moment for that meme where as much as GAF rooms teach you how to laugh at them, you have to consider a team with more than one RG user a threat due to the game mode and not knowing how much of a person's level is them playing the game a lot or them beasting until that rank has been reached.

Edit: There's also the scenario of someone carrying for them on that team and taking you out leaving them to simultaneously mash the inkstrike button. :lol

On a related note, I fought an actual base invader team that was using beakons correctly on Moray on stream. It was fucking surreal to see that level of teamwork from a Splatfest team.

Geg

Really good aerosprays can be a pain to deal with. I played some matches where they were like cockroaches on Moray crawling around our side of the map within the first 30 seconds of the game

The aerospray became infamous because against teams that don't really do the whole "defend your fucking turf" thing very well, which is sadly your typical Splatfest team, it wrecks.

Splatfests are the weird "through the looking glass" moment for that meme where as much as GAF rooms teach you how to laugh at them, you have to consider a team with more than one RG user a threat due to the game mode and not knowing how much of a person's level is them playing the game a lot or them beasting until that rank has been reached.

Edit: There's also the scenario of someone carrying for them on that team and taking you out leaving them to simultaneously mash the inkstrike button. :lol

On a related note, I fought an actual base invader team that was using beakons correctly on Moray on stream. It was fucking surreal to see that level of teamwork from a Splatfest team.

Really good aerosprays can be a pain to deal with. I played some matches where they were like cockroaches on Moray crawling around our side of the map within the first 30 seconds of the game

LOL, my streak is 29.5 now, I always thought it was capped at 25 >.>

Edit: And I misspoke, the last guy is using the splash-o-matic and knows how to use the wail like a pro. Why can't I get this lucky in ranked?

Top Bottom