• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Maengun1

Holy crap, sat down to the splatfest when it started (Team Marie) and I won like.....20+ matches in a row. Kept saying I would stop for the night when I lost a match, but it never happened. And they were mostly blowouts, 80%+ map inked, 10+ kos, etc. I'm pretty good but I've never seen a run like this before. Poor Team Callie lol ;-;

Koren

Holy crap, sat down to the splatfest when it started (Team Marie) and I won like.....20+ matches in a row. Kept saying I would stop for the night when I lost a match, but it never happened. And they were mostly blowouts, 80%+ map inked, 10+ kos, etc. I'm pretty good but I've never seen a run like this before. Poor Team Callie lol ;-;
Yeah, I fully expecting Team Callie to be crushed, but it's even larger than I would have believed. It's a bit frustrating... Usually 45/40 for me, though, and victory for Marie obtained in the last minute.

I don't know if I'm part of the problem... The festive shirt doesn't help since I always play ninja squid.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can only play a few moments before I set off for the weekend. But I did my part with a bunch of straight wins, so at least I'll get a few shells.

"Returning to the lobby because not enough players joined the battle."

Is everybody playing Pokemon Go instead?

Edit: judging by the lack of replies, I guess so. In other news, fuck Walleye Warehouse.

Krammy

This is my first Splatfest, and we (Team Callie) are getting our asses waxed! I sort of expected this after seeing the plethora of Team Marie posts in the lobby for the last few weeks though.

So far it's been about 30% wins, 70% losses from the games I've played. Still fun as hell!

Wiseblade

This is my first (and last) Splatfest since the Power Update and I was able to hit Callie Queen in record time. Without a single Callie on Callie battle, I suspect we are the less popular team. That saddens me, but bodes well for winning the Fest as a whole. I think I'll hop on tomorrow and try to score some wins on the stragglers too, anything that will secure Mai Waifu the ultimate victory.

Feels good to be a Callie Queen B)
PREACH!

Oh yeah, Splatfest started early, maybe I should play the game's grind just to get something that means almost absolutely nothing.
giphy.gif
The amount of time needed to invest / play the game for this, and for the reward you get, it's just not worth it.

jwillenn

I'll admit, I began taking it for granted. I missed the last few and now with this being the final Splatfest, I feel like I'm really going to miss it. I'll be on tonight just to experience the awesome atmosphere in one last session. Bring on Splatoon 2!

phanphare

Banned
I'll miss splatfests if only because they're a good opportunity to load up on snails. I've still got some gear that I want to roll triple subs for.

Oh yeah, Splatfest started early, maybe I should play the game's grind just to get something that means almost absolutely nothing.
giphy.gif

The amount of time needed to invest / play the game for this, and for the reward you get, it's just not worth it.

As opposed to the reward you get playing any other game?

It's just having some fun. The updates have made it a lot easier to max out too.

Koren

This is my first (and last) Splatfest since the Power Update and I was able to hit Callie Queen in record time. Without a single Callie on Callie battle, I suspect we are the less popular team.
US? I've had half a dozen Callie on Callie, I'd say it's the opposite. Or maybe it's linked to level (usually, Marie teams are 20-100 higher for me).

That saddens me, but bodes well for winning the Fest as a whole.
At the beginning, I would have said that Callie teams were slaughtered here. It's getting better, but I still have the opposite feeling. Well...

It's not like Moray Towers, where matches are often decided the moment teams are decided, at all.
I'm awful at meta (I just play what I like... I'm using the carbon roller, and I haven't seen another for ages!) and since I'm lower A at best, I can't say it's obvious either. What team win on Moray towers? A couple chargers? And?

I'm awful at meta (I just play what I like... I'm using the carbon roller, and I haven't seen another for ages!) and since I'm lower A at best, I can't say it's obvious either. What team win on Moray towers? A couple chargers? And?
Not just chargers. The team with more range in general usually has a huge advantage, barring awful comps like 4 e-liters.

Even if you get past the center, the rest of the map is mostly highly vertical ramps. Battles will often take place on these ramps, and if the opponent knows what they're doing then, say, a Tentatek (especially with a charged zooka) or DS will almost always beat a splat roller or splooshy (everything goes if the Tentatek user sucks, though). The map being highly vertical also means that you have to deal with shit coming down from way above you while invading without having any real way to hit the person raining shit down at you.

At lower levels of play you can out-skill people but at higher levels of play the map is just dumb.

tl;dr: Tentateks are why we can't have nice things.

ChrisD

I'll admit, I began taking it for granted. I missed the last few and now with this being the final Splatfest, I feel like I'm really going to miss it. I'll be on tonight just to experience the awesome atmosphere in one last session. Bring on Splatoon 2!

Yep, I hated them after the first few, but then the Power Update hit and it was actually fun. I just wasn't giving the game a break, so I was still down on them.

Turns out, I was just down on the game, this is actually pretty fun.

I'll miss splatfests if only because they're a good opportunity to load up on snails. I've still got some gear that I want to roll triple subs for.

Yeah, I've got some stuff I'd like to roll now that I'm looking again.. Shame I'll have to resort to money for them after this ends.

tl;dr: Tentateks are why we can't have nice things.

Hear, hear!

Wiseblade

US? I've had half a dozen Callie on Callie, I'd say it's the opposite. Or maybe it's linked to level (usually, Marie teams are 20-100 higher for me).
I'm in the UK. Didn't think there'd be this much regional variation on this.

At the beginning, I would have said that Callie teams were slaughtered here. It's getting better, but I still have the opposite feeling. Well...
Well, that's concerning.

ChrisD

I mean, I'm sucking super hardcore, but Marie definitely seems to be the more popular team, and there's not much a show of skill going on from any of us. Even in the six mirror matches I just had back-to-back. I'm afraid Callie definitely has this in the bag.

ChrisD

I am home to defend Marie's honor

Can you go super pro mode to make up for the dozen losses I've thrown into her records

Holy jeez I've lost my past nine rounds. Haven't played in like a month, and these S+'s are playing for keeps. I'm just trying to roll as a Carbon and getting my face bashed in.

Koren

Not just chargers. The team with more range in general usually has a huge advantage, barring awful comps like 4 e-liters.

Even if you get past the center, the rest of the map is mostly highly vertical ramps. Battles will often take place on these ramps, and if the opponent knows what they're doing then, say, a Tentatek (especially with a charged zooka) or DS will almost always beat a splat roller or splooshy (everything goes if the Tentatek user sucks, though). The map being highly vertical also means that you have to deal with shit coming down from way above you while invading without having any real way to hit the person raining shit down at you.

At lower levels of play you can out-skill people but at higher levels of play the map is just dumb.
I see...

That was my general feeling, indeed, but I wasn't sure I was right. As I say, I suck on the meta. It's true that I have troubles with this map on turf wars with the roller. At least, I know it well enough to surprise opponents that don't perfectly know the map. Not having ninja squid is hard, though, when furtivity is still your best weapon :/

Junahu

Looks like I just ran into Junahu because their name is [GAF] Clark.

Definitely someone from the old days lol
Small world. Now I wish I was playing better, instead of dragging everyone down into a stream of avoidable losses.

I made up for it somewhat in my second play session, and ended with a higher splatfest power than I started with.

Koren

Holy jeez I've lost my past nine rounds. Haven't played in like a month, and these S+'s are playing for keeps. I'm just trying to roll as a Carbon and getting my face bashed in.
Hey, I'm not the only carbon roller!

How do you recognize S+? From power?

team marie sucks
Some do (I've had a 3 rollers + brush against 2 tentatek + 2 chargers match on the Towers, we managed to win 75-15... o_O )

That being said, I think team Callie sucks as much, myself included (I'm slightly down from my initial power, so I must have more losses than wins)

Luigi87

Hm, even in a match that started 3v4, still lose 10 power (meanwhile I gain like... 4). That's fair.

Edit: Gained 10, so I feel a bit better.

Koren

So, what's Marie Power?
It's been ages since I played a splatfest, and I don't know if power ranks are a normal thing.
Similar to the points in ranked matches, except that there's no levels.

This allows the game to make matches based on estimated skill...

ChrisD

So, what's Marie Power?
It's been ages since I played a splatfest, and I don't know if power ranks are a normal thing.

It's used in the leaderboards posted to tumblr, and matchmaking I think.

Huge huge huge shoutouts to ariel, Carolyn, and BR242 for carrying my sorry butt to Queen. Talk about disheartening man... I lost like fifteen games in a row before I got in their lobby. From there it was all wins. Though most of them were Marie mirrors. At least 80% of my rounds were MarieVsMarie.

Top Bottom