• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

How can you dislike warehouse? It's like the most neutral/balanced map there is.

Yep.

It's not like Moray Towers, where matches are often decided the moment teams are decided, at all.

Not just chargers. The team with more range in general usually has a huge advantage, barring awful comps like 4 e-liters.

Even if you get past the center, the rest of the map is mostly highly vertical ramps. Battles will often take place on these ramps, and if the opponent knows what they're doing then, say, a Tentatek (especially with a charged zooka) or DS will almost always beat a splat roller or splooshy (everything goes if the Tentatek user sucks, though). The map being highly vertical also means that you have to deal with shit coming down from way above you while invading without having any real way to hit the person raining shit down at you.

At lower levels of play you can out-skill people but at higher levels of play the map is just dumb.

tl;dr: Tentateks are why we can't have nice things.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. All I know is that I have a much, much higher win rate on Moray Towers. On Walleye Warehouse it's stupidly easy for one team to corner the other, leaving them with no apparent escape routes. Contrast this with decent stages like Blackbelly Skatepark and Moray Towers where even if the enemy team manages to claim your side, you still stand a decent enough of chance of being able to move past them unscathed.

Blues1990

Never in my life have I got so angry playing a video game, but for every match that I won, I lost another. It's literally been a 50/50 for me, and it hasn't been a fun experience in the slightest.

And I've been doing fine with covering territory with ink & my K/D ratio, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. All I know is that I have a much, much higher win rate on Moray Towers. On Walleye Warehouse it's stupidly easy for one team to corner the other, leaving them with no apparent escape routes. Contrast this with decent stages like Blackbelly Skatepark and Moray Towers where even if the enemy team manages to claim your side, you still stand a decent enough of chance of being able to move past them unscathed.
As a forewarning, I think the differences in opinions are probably related to our choices of kit. I personally main rapid blasters and excessively stack damage up, and sometimes also use custom jet squelcher with lots of swim speed up and some damage up. Rapid blasters are good at shooting up to harass enemies, but are generally terrible at painting walls.

I think old towers was probably very congested, but I agree that the new side ways are a very welcome addition. On old towers, the only way into the enemy base was basically through mid, which generally meant you were going to fall in and hope that the enemy chargers were asleep or distracted. On new towers, the side areas are slightly enlarged and also have little walls, so you can actually get to the ground floor and sneak into the enemy side much more reliably.

Even so, I think the visibility from the perches over mid on towers is still too favorable for long range weapons. If team A has long range that team B does not have a consistent answer for, then sneaking into the enemy base gets a lot harder for team B. Like if I am using custom jet squelcher (which I'm likely to do this time around), and the other team has no way of keeping me in check via range, then my team's half of the map is basically unreachable for them, and my team can always jump to me.

As for warehouse, I think spawn camping is generally pretty rare there. Unless something horribly wrong happened, the enemy shouldn't be able to get past further than your pit (the small area that has two tarped ramps and connects to the right alley). Almost all the time, even if your team loses control of mid, it should be possible to go from your spawn to far left and get into mid from there, or even try sneaking into the enemy's "right" alley if you're feeling particularly cheeky. And if the enemy team can't get past your pit, trying to control your pit is difficult; it's a lower elevation, going further requires going through a narrow tarped ramp, and it's right next to a raised box where a charger can shoot from.

Koren

The fact that you can't climb anymore through the grid to access the enemy left passage changed a lot of things on warehouse...

I'm done for tonight, I keep loosing by 5% in the last 30s T_T

CO_Andy

I'm not sure why folks rage quit at the results screen when they're only a few seconds from playing again.

North Americans can't handle that L.

Welp, that's that. First and last royalty. Ended up with more wins than losses after switching to my new favorite toy, but y'all aren't inspiring much confidence for team Marie.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Getting lots of matchmaking issues. Timed out once searching, lost connection to team in lobby twice after that. I'll give it a couple more goes and will just play something else if it keeps up. I haven't played in ages, but wanted to get some matches in for the final splatfest.

So many mirror matches....

It's definitely California, not Calliefornia.

On the bright side, I'm about to become king in little over two hours, almost half the time it usually takes me. But goddamn, why am I the only one that can take out snipers? With a Jr.?

Send like everyone is glorious Team Marie then. Good.

I voted for Towers as a roller main because of love climbing them and making all sorts of havoc, especially with the seekers.

I switch back and forth with the slosher though too

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Team Marie here, only won one game so far tonight. Cannot for the life of me find good teammates.

EDIT: Finally won another! But all my teammates left afterward, of course.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm Team Callie and it seems like my teammates all think matches last 2:30 instead of 3:00? Every match so far we've had a huge lead and let them have a furious comeback.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_01769.jpg

~And I'm proud to be A Marie King, because I know Cal-lie is free~

After the last Splatfest, I don't question nuffin' no more! For the royalty!!

And thank you Imgur for changing your upload method so it doesn't work with Wii U anymore! Gotta live that Google mantra and fix what isn't broken and ruin it for everyone!

Wasn't too bad actually. Still had some rough games like why do three of my team mates insist on doing grab ass with each other pushing forward instead of spreading out or --holy shit, HOLD A POSITION!? One Bubbler / Krakken / Blaster and then poof! It's just me trying to keep the entire goddamn team at bay with a Jr.!. And to Amy-chan, our E-Liter for the last few games...might want to try a different weapon. It takes talent to be the only sniper on Towers against a team of roller / brush / sploosh / luna and go 0-8. Just shooting at birds at this point.

I did encounter the most extreme delay kill / exchange of my life. I killed a Splash-matic and then at least six seconds later, I explode. The cause: Calton the Splash-matic from beyond the grave. I'm so mad that the NX is gonna have wireless internet so this nonsense will continue into the future.

Based on some of your guys' responses, I'm gonna need two more arms for all this #TeamMarie carrying I'm doing! BAH!

Hackworth

Splatoon's matchmaking needs to stop making me the best player on the losing team because I'm not good enough to carry. Whenever it looks like I'm going to break 1300 I get slaughtered three games in a row.

Also, why the hell is NZ considered part of the EU? Getting splatted around corners while the shooter is respawning is getting old.

I did encounter the most extreme delay kill / exchange of my life. I killed a Splash-matic and then at least six seconds later, I explode. The cause: Calton the Splash-matic from beyond the grave. I'm so mad that the NX is gonna have wireless internet so this nonsense will continue into the future.
You can be an honorary New Zealander. Welcome to the life.

On the upside, turning around a game and winning with 80% coverage is still the best feeling in Splatoon. Also, I got like 1800 points on Walleye, and I didn't think that was possible.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
For those of you who are discouraged on Team Marie, here's a bit of a morale booster for you.

WVW69jbT1-UuR-2Huf

SplatNet currently saying I'm in Top 100... I wonder if I can push to 2000 power?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Got to King but it was pretty miserable, lost a lot. Lots of Marie vs Marie matches too. Got back up to above 1300, hooray :/

Got to Queen, and it was a mostly painless journey for me :) I think I want to see if I can get into top 100, or at least 1800 Marie power with just Rapid Blaster Deco. It works fantastically on Walleye Warehouse and Kelp Dome, but it is admittedly rather limited on Moray Towers. Bubbler, Killer Wail and Inkzooka are probably going to help more with breaking into the sniper perch and going up the ramps than Suction Bomb Rush will.

Team Marie here and I've been consistently destroying fans of Callie. I'd say my win ratio must be about 75-80/20-25.

At the beginning took me some time to even reach defender but lost a lot of times against other fellow faithful Marie fans. If Japan voted for Hotaru we'll win this one.

Made a Marie picture and got 189 yeahs. =D

WVW69jbHBH4Q2T58C-

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Even without the disclaimer at the bottom, you wouldn't be the first to not get it until waaaaay later... Somehow, lol.

Hope you're enjoying the game!

It's phenomenal! Maybe the first new Nintendo IP I've really adored since the SNES days.

Koren

I'm Team Callie and it seems like my teammates all think matches last 2:30 instead of 3:00? Every match so far we've had a huge lead and let them have a furious comeback.
That's exactly my experience, and at the end, it's always something like 42-46... Argh.

I've learned that grenades shouldn't be used so often. They put such a strain on my ink consumption.
I don't think I ever killed someone with a ink bomb, but they're handy, when you're rolling, for painting vertical surfaces efficiently, or reach places you can't go. Also, to win a ~0.5% after the time limit ;)

ss-hikaru

Team Marie here and I've been consistently destroying fans of Callie. I'd say my win ratio must be about 75-80/20-25.

At the beginning took me some time to even reach defender but lost a lot of times against other fellow faithful Marie fans. If Japan voted for Hotaru we'll win this one.

I think Hotaru is more popular in Japan. Both based on how I played quite a few mirror matches and also on nico nico comments from the Splatoon Live Concerts XD I'm glad I finally played well in a splatfest since this is the one that truly counts haha. I finished with a higher splatfest power than I started which is a first.

I ended up not hating towers as much as I thought I would. I guess I had good teams, we all pressured the charger when there was one and we all tried to help each other out which was nice! I had a lot of fun. TEAM MARIE DA BEST!!

My heart told me to join Team Callie. Then my brain reminded me that my heart is dumb and that Marie led Team Dog, to which my heart said "point taken".

I was fortunate enough to find some great teams yesterday and cruised to royalty. I'd say about a fourth to a third of my matches yesterday were Marie vs. Marie. But then I also know that there's no telling what the win percentage is going to be just from my experience.

Koren

A lot of disconnections, and a lot of lag for me :/

Hard to come on top with roller, too... but some people manage it. Do you know how? Even when I don't die and paint all the time, I'm sometimes 3-4th...

69wpm

A lot of disconnections, and a lot of lag for me :/

Hard to come on top with roller, too... but some people manage it. Do you know how? Even when I don't die and paint all the time, I'm sometimes 3-4th...

I was wondering what was up with the ranking and noticed that I was 4th although we had one guy drop out before the match started, very odd.

Koren

I was wondering what was up with the ranking and noticed that I was 4th although we had one guy drop out before the match started, very odd.
It's just I'm usually higher, and I'm wondering it's because there's mostly beginners in Turf Wars outside of Splatfests...

Koren

I'm starting to think the post-match ranking use Splatfest power and not inked surface. I've done 18 matchs with the same team, and the last 8 at least had the same ranking each time...

Edit: Yes, that's it... After the 20th match, we've had a player change, and I'm now 2nd instead of 3rd (the newcomer is 3rd), and the order doesn't change anymore.

Top Bottom