• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Yeesh, got punished hard by the RNGesus tonight. Thanks for the matches though, even if i'm down well over 100 points ^^;;
Fixed for the non-believers >.>
Why am I still up?
To be honest lots of times I have trouble figuring out just how I should protect the rainmaker if someone on my team has it. It's something I need to work on through playing the mode more
I'm not sure yet if you really can protect the RM, I think that everyone on the team has just got to keep the other players as busy as possible and even redirect them if they can so the RM can sneak by. There were a few times tonight where our team was able to trick the other team into thinking that the rainmaker was still on our side of the map while it was really already practically at the other base LOL

Geg

I'm not sure yet if you really can protect the RM, I think that everyone on the team has just got to keep the other players as busy as possible and even redirect them if they can so the RM can sneak by. There were a few times tonight where our team was able to trick the other team into thinking that the rainmaker was still on our side of the map while it was really already practically at the other base LOL

Yeah that happened in a 3v3 on Kelp Dome in a private room yesterday. I took out two of the opposing team only to look for the rainmaker and see the last enemy had it and was on the other side of the map speeding toward our goal

Regiruler

Sooooo... you were a detriment to your team?
Kappa

I was

I had the rainmaker
Was trying to time a "booyah" right as I inserted it
When looking away to press the dpad for some reason, I missed the ink path up the mound and floundered about

We were able to grind for the a good portion of the match but they eventually got a knockout

You'll get those points back. We played some good teams and honestly I haven't really gotten Rainmaker down yet. We were playing S-S+ teams that had strategies and weapons/subweapons that seemed consistent on most matches.

Rainmaker is fun but I prefer Splat Zones and Tower Control.

Yeah i'm sure I can but the grind is a killer. And i'm not sure what to wait for anymore.

Violet_0

Banned
Yeah that happened in a 3v3 on Kelp Dome in a private room yesterday. I took out two of the opposing team only to look for the rainmaker and see the last enemy had it and was on the other side of the map speeding toward our goal

on Kelp Dome, watch the catwalk like a hawk - it's the fastest way into the base and hard to reach when the rest of the team is somewhere else

on Moray, pay particular attention to the wall with the two grates and if you have beakons put a few of them there to mount a quick defense if the enemy is about to climb up. Likewise, on the offense prioritize the wall, it's the shortest way to the pedestal and we got lots of knockout that way in our games today

you can help the rainmaker carrier is to kill opponents, ink the path and walls for them and if you have something like the kraken swim ahead and draw all attention to you

That could be true but the one carrying the RM needs help painting path. Speeds up getting to the goal considerably.
I think that it'll take time to get a good feel for what to do in different situations but the RM draws a ton of attention when you use it. There was one match tonight where I just swam right past the person guarding the base in ink that was left there earlier in the fight. Still not sure why they didn't see me, does the RM vanish if you're submerged long enough?

And having someone on the team with inkzooka as their special seems to cause a lot of confusion too, at least for now.

Nico_D

Anyone up for some squad action? Let's haul ass to S!*

(*this guarantee is void in the rare case or cases when I happen to suck.)

mo60

Is this game just more likely to have connection errors on 2.0? I never had them but now I got three tonight in a row. Was undefeated in ranked before that but still lost points. For fuck sake Nintendo. This shit is the opposite of fun.

I got a dozen connection is unstable messages today in a row. Sadly I can not figure out if it's my router or the game causing these messages to appear.

THERE! Back to my scrumptious S Rank.

Phew. I guess people finally are getting the hang of Rainmaker. People are actually using shortcuts and the person with the football isn't always going 'I GOT THE FISH! LOOKIT HOW HUEG MY DICK IS!! NOW I'M DEAD! BULLSHIT!!"

RedFyn

well it appears people have discovered they can just lame it out or camp and run around with the rainmaker at the final seconds of match.

Tower control goes back to best
You can camp the tower in the final seconds too. It's the same thing. Apart from rig, its usually riskier than camping the tower because you generally have to be on your side of the map to camp the rainmaker and if they get it they have a short trip to the goal.

I camp the tower on warehouse all the time. It's a pain to get it to the end but it's not that hard to keep it on the enemies side for the entire round. It's the same strategy as containing on turf wars except you have to continuously tap the tower.

Shun

Does someone have an open spot for Squads? I'm tired of playing randoms and clueless teammates.

Rainmaker/Tower only one to get on the tower and go get the lead, last minute? Lead disintegrates and we lose by one point... Perennial B tier at this rate...

I've only played randoms so far and haven't touched squad yet so first time.

Does someone have an open spot for Squads? I'm tired of playing randoms and clueless teammates.

Rainmaker/Tower only one to get on the tower and go get the lead, last minute? Lead disintegrates and we lose by one point... Perennial B tier at this rate...

I've only played randoms so far and haven't touched squad yet so first time.

It's oddly slow right now but i'm sure somebody is lurking ready to help.

Nico_D

Thanks Jeff from some very intense games! We went duo and got mostly good team mates (except for those couple rollers) and even lag didn't hinder us.

And we both got to A+!

jholmes

Last gripe of the night: I lost a tower game in tiebreak but led my team, had 27 (!) kills, but still lost 12 points. Like, what more did you want from me there?

Anyway, played way too many games, had a good roll and enjoyed myself. If any of you are the Japanese B- guys I played with, thanks for the matches!

Nico_D

Is there anything more unnecessary than a brush with bubble on? "Go away. Stay there."

Maybe he was just bad with it.

GGs everyone! Doing the quick jump sploosh set was quite a bit of fun :) I want to try that again with the custom dual squelcher next time and see how that turns out. I need more practice with the custom jet squelcher too, or maybe I should switch to the 96 deco for ranked games :(

Jintor

well it appears people have discovered they can just lame it out or camp and run around with the rainmaker at the final seconds of match.

Tower control goes back to best

Rainmaker should explode you if you go into negative territory in the last half minute lol

AniHawk

ranked battles feel like bullshit

1. it always seems like i'm on the team against 1-2 asshole rollers.
2. getting dc'd results in a negative, even when we won the game and the internet shits the bed.

the matchmaking seems really really off. i shouldn't be losing so much for being the top 1-2 player on the team so often.

Jintor

Definitely. Squad to A+ and then everyone playing S rank should theoretically have a base idea about how to at least play their roles if nothing else

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Weird rainmaker tactic some teams try on saltspray. Take the lead and then go and camp with the rainmaker in the top part of the map (as it is furthest away from the objective for either side).

Are they going to have to wall off that part of the stage too (like the side parts are in that mode).
Ha ha ha. That's really clever. Maybe I'll try that if I get the chance.

Zing

Banned
ranked battles feel like bullshit

1. it always seems like i'm on the team against 1-2 asshole rollers.
2. getting dc'd results in a negative, even when we won the game and the internet shits the bed.

the matchmaking seems really really off. i shouldn't be losing so much for being the top 1-2 player on the team so often.
Don't worry, the other team feels the same way about your bullshit rollers.

If you are "hardcore" enough to be posting on a video game forum such as GAF, you are already better than average for your rank, so get used to leading your team.

On another note, this game has incited me to learn Japanese Hiragana. I am about 25% there after just one day. I'd like to be able to read the names of everyone on my team. My daughter thought it was great that I could read the name a teammate on her team so she could add them to her friend list.

Jintor

internationalisation!

soon they'll add voicechat and then you'll have to learn japanese for "behind you!" or "I've got the rainmaker!"

Hmmm... maybe 裏だ!and ラーインメーカーが持ちるんだ?

Jintor

I don't even know this one Japanese guy's name that I've been watching for over a month when he streams. :/

link

name reading sucks if they're using kanji.

You might already know this, but Japanese people's names are often straight up just words, so it's like instead of being named Bob or John or whatever you're called Summer or Firefly. It's kind of cool.

Speaking of Japanese apparently using a Wii with homebrew to have a Mii name with Kanji in it than transferring that Mii onto your NNID can lead to these sorts of text displaying errors on English systems:
http://imgur.com/a/g0LYL
Last played together: Splatoon?
(source) I'm really curious what a super jump looks like in that situation (as in the circle indicator says).

Razmos

Oh my god. Just had a really frustrating match that was really close. They were at 51 distance and we were at 53, we had the rainmaker and were into extra time, the way to the goal was clear, all the guy with the rainmaker had to do was just run forward, and the bastard went backwards and tried going around, only to get splatted by a roller straight away.

I can't even. I really can't even. All he had to do was go forward just a tiny bit to get some distance.
rage.gif

Nico_D

Note to self: don't play Rainmaker in public rooms.

At Arowana Mall, we're in the middle all four of us. We have the Rainmaker. I'm shouting "To me - the left corridor is free, we can go! Look, I even painted the wall for you!"

The rainmaker carrier says: "No, I think I just stand here shooting with this shiny thing until the enemy can break through our two other guys guarding the way and come kill me."

Argh!

Razmos said:
the rainmaker had to do was just run forward, and the bastard went backwards and tried going around, only to get splatted by a roller straight away.

Exactly.

Razmos

Rainmaker on Arowana mall makes me cry. The map is fucking awful in every game mode, and coupled with the ridiculous amount of roller players at this rank, it's even worse.

I've lost pretty much every match on there now, and I'm Rank A- with only 1 point left.

Jintor

And yet today you never see a soul use the vanilla roller.

If you see a vanilla roller it's always a kraken. The invincibility toggle is just far superior to burst bombs. Otherwise it's carbon or dynamos for days.

I'm kinda nostalgic for the testfires lol

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Weird rainmaker tactic some teams try on saltspray. Take the lead and then go and camp with the rainmaker in the top part of the map (as it is furthest away from the objective for either side).

Are they going to have to wall off that part of the stage too (like the side parts are in that mode).

That's actually an interesting strategy and I wish we would've tried that last night. When I was playing with robotguy, Vader and Timeasis, Nintendos matchmaking gave us about 12/15 matches on Saltspray. Most matches we would get the Rainmaker to opposing teams spawn at around 35/40 and then after a minute or two get countered hard.

A couple of times I could've taken the rainmaker to the top of the map and placed beacons and I think we would've defended it till match was over. Some of these Japanese teams timing was on point with how they'd throw Splash Walls and then hit us with a Killer Wail keeping us in our spawn watching them put the Rainmaker away and ending the match in a knockout

Jintor

I wonder if there's a way to detect you're trying to lame out the timer on Rainmaker and dramatically shorten the ball hold timer

On a related note, there are a LOT of roller players in the A- rank. It's getting really frustrating to be honest.

I feel you.

Also on Saltspray, if they manage to get away with the rainmaker and camp with it, if you can grab it and suicide (jump off the map) so it resets to the middle where it first was. Can also sometimes help when the enemy is camping your spawn and you're fighting to get the rainmaker back, just jump in the water once you get it and you can win back some time. Depends on the situation of course.

Gsnap

I wonder if there's a way to detect you're trying to lame out the timer on Rainmaker and dramatically shorten the ball hold timer

One time when I was playing, I took a round about way to avoid enemies and the game flashed the words "don't retreat!" On my screen. They could make it so that, if you enter one of the dont retreat areas they put an automatically change your rainmaker timer to 10-15 seconds, and then once you make it back the timer goes to what it normally would be.

Razmos

Just a quick note to all the rainmaker players out there: YOU CAN'T WIN IF YOU NEVER MOVE FORWARD, IDIOTS.

That is all.

Top Bottom