• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

AgentOtaku said:
This makes me sad =(

The levels have been designed so that you can finish the whole game without killing anyone. Just like previous Splinter Cell title, so don't worry, they thought about old fans of the series.

SketchTheArtist said:
The levels have been designed so that you can finish the whole game without killing anyone. Just like previous Splinter Cell title, so don't worry, they thought about old fans of the series.
you can finish the game WITHOUT killing a single person? you sure?

Pooya

CloakedPuppet said:
Also, for those wondering about length, I think I'm somewhere around the 7.5-8 hour mark and it feels like I may be going into the last mission. Can't be sure though. I'll play more later and update.
Did you play on realistic difficulty?

eshwaaz

CloakedPuppet said:
Also, for those wondering about length, I think I'm somewhere around the 7.5-8 hour mark and it feels like I may be going into the last mission. Can't be sure though. I'll play more later and update.

8 hours sounds just about perfect for me; I feel like I can start officially getting excited for this game now. Thanks for the frequent updates.

miladesn said:
Did you play on realistic difficulty?

Nope. Normal. Saving realistic for next play-through.

eshwaaz said:
8 hours sounds just about perfect for me; I feel like I can start officially getting excited for this game now. Thanks for the frequent updates.

No problem. Hope you get around the same time out of it. I really don't know how someone could get through this a LOT faster on their first time through.

I would Suggest that you read this month'S gamepro. John Davison's article on Conviction goes in-depth on what happened between 2006 and the games release. Awesome write-up Davison.

Raide

miladesn said:
so I think 10+ hours is a good estimate for realistic difficulty, thanks.

For the SP that sounds about right. Add a good chunk more for the various co-op bits as well.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So for those who have finished the game, was the part in the demo where you go into the basement and rescue the scientist in the actual game itself as it was in the demo?

I would also ask something else but it would be too much of a spoiler. :p

Darkmakaimura said:
So for those who have finished the game, was the part in the demo where you go into the basement and rescue the scientist in the actual game itself as it was in the demo?

Yep - it's in the game.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Darkmakaimura said:

Yes, but obviously the beginning, and also the ending of the level are different.

K' Dash

Anyone knows of any retailer selling this early, I usually get my games 1 or 2 days before launch (a friend from a friend) but couldn't get on this :(

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
SketchTheArtist said:

This is completely wrong. I have been in several forced showdowns in which killing enemies was required.

seriously. what is the answer?.. cause i'm not getting any.

can you finish the game without killing ANYONE?

for the record: it's not something i would do. i love stealth killing. but i want to know.

Always-honest said:
seriously. what is the answer?.. cause i'm not getting any.

can you finish the game without killing ANYONE?

for the record: it's not something i would do. i love stealth killing. but i want to know.

no, even in the stealth video created by ubisoft they had to kill someone.

TimeLike

skyfinch said:
All the features? Yeah, buddy, you are a dick. I simply asked about two very annoying and unnecessary features. Black and White filter, because the game is dark enough as it is with Sam not having the night vision in past games, and projections because I don't need someone holding my hand the entire way. Projections are like "wave point indicators" in some games or "dynamic racing lines" in racing games. These games give you the option to turn them off, especially if it's your second play through or if, and once, you get better at the game.

Neither of these options add anything to the game, and in fact, would make the game a better experience if they weren't included. Don't tell me that after my second/third/fourth play through, that I have to sit there and have stupid projections clogging up the entire screen when I know exactly where to go and what objectives to do.

Anyways, if you think Splinter Cell Conviction was created just for the sole purpose of black and white filters and onscreen projections, you're a freaking idiot!

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. What you described is like the exact opposite of what the projections and the new cover indicator are and do.

SketchTheArtist said:

man I hope so!

AMUSIX

SketchTheArtist said:
If so, I'll happily go back and replay everything I've done so far...but I honestly don't believe it can happen. There are no non-lethal take-downs, there are no distraction tools. Am I completely missing the ability to whistle? Or to pick up a can and throw it?

If you've played it this way, or if you know how, please, please, please tell me. Heck, take the beginning of the second mission. Tell me how to pick up the C4 and plant it without being detected/without killing? (spoilered, of course)

I'm just not seeing the 'slip in, slip out undetected' gameplay anymore. I did one level without being seen, got to the final room, and in it were two guards on high alert screaming out threats to me. I had no other choice but to kill them.

I really, really hope that I'm completely missing something and you're right, but situations like those three guards around the C4 just make it seem impossible, not to mention how you're supposed to plant the C4.

That, and I'm continually hearing the dev team talk about the character of Sam as if he's the ultimate predator, an incredibly efficient killing machine, but this isn't the way I've ever played Sam. He's always been the ultimate Shadow, the guy who could do a job without anyone even sure if he was there or not.

Oh, and the praise for the AI that I've been seeing...the AI's not bad, and runs some nice sweeps, but know that I've seen a number of situations where they're just not aware. If two guards are standing with their backs to adjacent windows, and you kill one of them by pulling him out, the other guard will not notice. It's as if they have zero peripheral vision. On the other hand, sometimes if you use a silenced pistol and shoot out a light, they instantly scream "Fisher!" no matter how unaware they were of your presence.

I'm liking the game, honestly, would give it a 4/5, but it is so not a Splinter Cell game for me.

raphier

Banned
Jesus christ, I just pulled a guy in front of another guard and remained undetected! :lol Playing this at friends house. Gotta say without the M&E and slower movement it feels abit like home and is more satisfying.

The story here, however is weird. Past character personalities suddenly are changed, lol Grim anyone?!

EDIT:
K' Dash said:
you're doing it wrong?
You can't pass the entire game without killing anyone. There's occasions where you're forced to kill. For intance the flashback scene, where it's a pure shooter. Most levels have occasional areas where killing is necessary in turn to pass, like this narrow area where three guys just stood and stood and there's no other routine.

SketchTheArtist said:

At one point you have to gun fire like some kind of gears/uncharted... Only with worse shooting and a terrible cover system (for shooting... good for the stealth).

LordPhoque said:
What about the graphics ? Is the final version sub-HD ?

Well I haven't exactly counted pixels but it does look pretty sub-hd at times. The game overall looks good though, especially in crowded places it can look pretty damm good. Biggest complain is easily the AI which at times seems even more retarded than in the demo, only playing on normal though but that is no excuse for the enemies for example getting into cover on the wrong side so they are fully exposed to you in a middle of a gunfight.

Milk Lizard said:
Well I haven't exactly counted pixels but it does look pretty sub-hd at times. The game overall looks good though, especially in crowded places it can look pretty damm good. Biggest complain is easily the AI which at times seems even more retarded than in the demo, only playing on normal though but that is no excuse for the enemies for example getting into cover on the wrong side so they are fully exposed to you in a middle of a gunfight.

Thanks. Waiting for more reviews & impressions, but I'll probably buy this day one.

Also :

* Co op Story mode - Conviction also has it's own co op story which serves as a prequel to the main single player story. It is said that this prequel story will last between 6 and 8 hours

True ?

CAVE343

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I didn't know there was an Iraq level. Are there videos up anywhere?
It's in the IGN vid review.

Game looks very good, but I hate that Sam holds his gun sideways. That's just stupid gangster shit

JambiBum

bad-joey said:
It's in the IGN vid review.

Game looks very good, but I hate that Sam holds his gun sideways. That's just stupid gangster shit

It's not stupid gangster shit.. It's actually a way to increase reaction from target to target. They talked about it in an interview somewhere. If I can't find it hopefully someone else can.

CAVE343

JambiBum said:
It's not stupid gangster shit.. It's actually a way to increase reaction from target to target. They talked about it in an interview somewhere. If I can't find it hopefully someone else can.

Yeah I've seen it (Giant Bomb) still looks silly

edit: ah I see, it's the Center Axis Relock system. Kinda makes sense now

dream

AMUSIX said:
If so, I'll happily go back and replay everything I've done so far...but I honestly don't believe it can happen. There are no non-lethal take-downs, there are no distraction tools. Am I completely missing the ability to whistle? Or to pick up a can and throw it?

In fact, you
break the necks of almost everyone you interrogate

I'm so excited for this game to come out. I just love playing the demo over and over and over again.

I keep finding new ways to be entertained. I know it's nowhere near as good as Chaos Theory but oh man it is fun in its own little way.

Nothing beats walking behind someone, taking them hostage and tossing them into a huge group of people and then proceeding to try and roll into them like bowling pins :lol

Bah, whatever. Decided I won't cancel my pre-order and will pick this up on the 360. Seems like there's still a Splinter Cell game there and I enjoyed the demo for the most part. I'm quite excited for the co-op stuff in fact.

Those who are playing it, how's it fare in comparison to the other games?

MattKeil said:
This is completely wrong. I have been in several forced showdowns in which killing enemies was required.

Not really. There are instances where the requires you to kill enemies but they're pretty rare.

Just like in Chaos Theory where you had to kill the revolution leader on the boat. The game forced you to kill him, even when you did a non-lethal takedown, it played the animation for the lethal one but didn't count as one.

S1kkZ

for the people who already finished it: ign mentions replay value for the single-player. are there different endings or unlockables?

I hit one area (right when you get the sticky cam) that I must have replayed over 15 times. First few times I died (playing on realistic) but I then kept getting past it. I kept going back to that checkpoint to replay the scene and try new things - simply because the game is FUN. It's a different splinter cell game but it's no less awesome. Here are some things I've noticed that stand out:

level design: in this game, more than any other splinter cell, you can use the environment to your advantage. In an given level there are at least 3 or 4 ways to get from point a to b. Pipes, windows, ledges, dynamic lighting are all extemely prevalent and only limit you to your own creativity.

Cover system: is simply perfect for a stealth action game like this. You can move so swiftly from cover to cover and There's never any second guessing on whether you are in an enemy's line of site. Simple visual cues let you traverse the environment without thinking about it. Shooting from cover is slick and satisfying

personal emp: maybe the best gadget in any splinter cell game. This gadget (in addition to disabling all electronics in your area) sends a wave of blind confusion over your enemies, allowing you to exercise creative freedom in harassing them (or simply getting past them). Fun to combine this with other gadgets and see what you can accomplish, whether it's wrangling enemies out of your path or killing as many as possible at once.

Pec challenge system: I haven't seen this talked about much at all but the game rewards you for combining moves and using stealth. You get points from completing these challenges to spend on weapon upgrades. One of the challenges is to complete a level without being detected and without using a bullet. There's a fair amount of these challenges, completionists will need mulitiple playthroughs to hit them all.

Other content: there's quite a bit of content on the disc with the coop modes. You can play most of the content single player as well, and it's perfectly doable; I can't attest to whether debiable ops is balanced for single player, but it feels like it is. I haven't tried the stuff in coop yet. Seems like a fair amount of attention was given to the non campaign portion of content.

Chrange

Banned
SketchTheArtist said:
Bullshit.
To interrogate the one guy you need to kill everyone else in the room. You can't defend the computer during the hack sequence without killing anyone either.

You can generally avoid people during exploration and traversal of the levels, but you are forced to kill people during the game.

S1kkZ

MrCompletely said:
Pec challenge system: I haven't seen this talked about much at all but the game rewards you for combining moves and using stealth. You get points from completing these challenges to spend on weapon upgrades. One of the challenges is to complete a level without being detected and without using a bullet. There's a fair amount of these challenges, completionists will need mulitiple playthroughs to hit them all.

Other content: there's quite a bit of content on the disc with the coop modes. You can play most of the content single player as well, and it's perfectly doable; I can't attest to whether debiable ops is balanced for single player, but it feels like it is. I haven't tried the stuff in coop yet. Seems like a fair amount of attention was given to the non campaign portion of content.
that sounds great. is there other stuff you can unlock with the pec system? i heard that you can customise your outfit in coop.

Top Bottom