• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

I like weekly free DLC: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63302
Free downloadable content for the just-released Xbox 360 edition of Splinter Cell: Conviction is to arrive on a weekly basis, publisher Ubisoft has revealed.

The flow of free goodies kicks off tomorrow, April 15, when a new gun--MP7A1 Machine Pistol--will be available as an Xbox Live download via the game's EXTRAS menu.

Addition content will follow every Thursday, according to Ubisoft, with future goodies including "new weapons, skins and even a brand new Deniable Ops map."
koshunter said:
4th level spoilers, I think.
After you rescue the scientist and go down the elevator, getting past the first 5 guards without them even realizing it felt so amazing.

I'm trying to do the rest of the level the same way but I don't think I can. And now I'm sad.
I retried probably fifty times and couldn't pull it off - what's your secret? I tried sticky cams but they didn't move from their positions, tried portable EMP and rushing past them, tried shooting out all the lights but there are so many in that room that they eventually caught on to my position. You're talking about the room right after you see the scientist die in front of you, right? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

JambiBum

BigKaboom2 said:
I retried probably fifty times and couldn't pull it off - what's your secret? I tried sticky cams but they didn't move from their positions, tried portable EMP and rushing past them, tried shooting out all the lights but there are so many in that room that they eventually caught on to my position. You're talking about the room right after you see the scientist die in front of you, right? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

There is a path to your right if I remember correctly. It's kind of hard to notice it if you aren't paying attention. If I'm wrong on the level hopefully the guy you quoted can correct me.

BigKaboom2 said:
I like weekly free DLC: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63302

I'm talking about the one where a male and female scientist get shot by the soldier who says something to the effect of that the scientist can't even die like a man. To get past that, you have to mark the soldier that walks into the hallway, and move into cover to the table in front of where the two soldiers stand and talk. From there, you can move into cover on the wall near the soldier who walks into the hall, and sit right beside him until he turns around and leaves.

God damn that's confusing. I'll try to make a video.

i love the new approach ubi has taken this. the new fast paste, aggressive gameplay makes sense of the story.. sam is pissed and he's not taking any names. i would imagine this is how sam would be(like bourne) and it's believable. but i just hope they would change it back to the old sam fisher when it is warranted by the story.

VegaShinra

If anyone is interested. Pics of the Starter Kit Ubisoft sent out for the game.

DSC01019.JPG

DSC01032.JPG

JambiBum

macfoshizzle said:
i love the new approach ubi has taken this. the new fast paste, aggressive gameplay makes sense of the story.. sam is pissed and he's not taking any names. i would imagine this is how sam would be(like bourne) and it's believable. but i just hope they would change it back to the old sam fisher when it is warranted by the story.

That fast drying paste sure is marvelous isn't it?

MMaRsu

What do you guys think are the sales for this game? Normally I wouldn't care about sales, but if this sells worse then previous SC games then maybe..MAAAYBE they will go back to the older SC style. I think the demo didn't do the game any favors either.

I'll pick this up eventually though, just bought an HDTV so don't have any cash left. Next month = Alan Wake & Red Dead :p.

I'm loving this game so far, the faster paced gameplay fits the way I usually play SC better the older games. I'm only 3 or 4 levels into it so far so I still have quite a bit of time left.

I just realized how awesome a silenced shotgun would be ala No Country for Old Men / Far Cry 2 DLC. Seems like it would fit the aggressive stealth theme perfectly.

MomoPufflet said:
I just realized how awesome a silenced shotgun would be ala No Country for Old Men / Far Cry 2 DLC. Seems like it would fit the aggressive stealth theme perfectly.

you will get your wish eventually since it was GameStop's pre-order bonus

MMaRsu said:
What do you guys think are the sales for this game? Normally I wouldn't care about sales, but if this sells worse then previous SC games then maybe..MAAAYBE they will go back to the older SC style. I think the demo didn't do the game any favors either.

I'll pick this up eventually though, just bought an HDTV so don't have any cash left. Next month = Alan Wake & Red Dead :p.

This series same as the other Clancy ones aren't going back to their roots anytime soon don't hold your breath. This will sell pretty good, but even if it didn't they would try to "reboot" it in some other more casual friendly direction rather than go back to the more "hardcore" style of the older games

JambiBum

Hey guys, the MP7A1 machine pistol is up now. It's the first thing that is part of the free content Thursdays deal Ubi is doing. Apparently they just put it up early. You have to go to the extras area where the stuff like the silenced shotgun is listed.

Also, I just beat the game. I really enjoyed playing the
entire DC level, from starting outside and making my way inside.
It was a pretty enjoyable experience and I felt like they ended the game well. Also I think they did a good job of setting it up for another game by mentioning
that company or guy that starts with a M. Can't remember the name
throughout the entire game. They didn't just throw it on you in the last level like some games do.

Barakov

I just finished it. It definitely has the best story of all the Splinter Cells. And the faster paced aggressive stealth gameplay definitely fits it. While I think it's a very good game I wouldn't put it above Chaos Theory. I definitely prefer the stealth of the previous SCs. That might of been the longest credit sequence I've ever seen.

JambiBum

Barakov said:
I just finished it. It definitely has the best story of all the Splinter Cells. And the faster paced aggressive stealth gameplay definitely fits it. While I think it's a very good game I wouldn't put it above Chaos Theory. I definitely prefer the stealth of the previous SCs. That might of been the longest credit sequence I've ever seen.

You could have scrolled through it faster by holding the right trigger. Or just hitting the B button to back out of it.

JambiBum

squicken said:
What's the latest on Uplay? Does that thing ever work at launch for Ubi games?

It's worked just fine for me the entire time. Have all the content and actions done for it. Works for my friends too.

squicken

Weird. I can't access it. It just boots me back to the game.

Edit: and of course now I can access it. Is anything worth buying?

Dan Yo

Banned
JambiBum said:
Hey guys, the MP7A1 machine pistol is up now. It's the first thing that is part of the free content Thursdays deal Ubi is doing. Apparently they just put it up early. You have to go to the extras area where the stuff like the silenced shotgun is listed.

Also, I just beat the game. I really enjoyed playing the
entire DC level, from starting outside and making my way inside.
It was a pretty enjoyable experience and I felt like they ended the game well. Also I think they did a good job of setting it up for another game by mentioning
that company or guy that starts with a M. Can't remember the name
throughout the entire game. They didn't just throw it on you in the last level like some games do.
Are they putting up free stuff every Thursday? Is it only free for one day?

Lunchbox

Banned
fucking ubisoft taught me to use mark and execute the wrong way

you dont take one guy out and then shoot the guys......then you end up with no marks left.
you get behind someone mark/shoot the OTHER three and THEN melee/jump the guy near you

that way you take everyone out and have another execution left for the next fight, and the only way to survive the later waves in hunter/laststand

Spike6663

I'm about half way through and have majorly mixed feelings. Similar to Batman - it's very easy to romp around and feel like a badass but, even with all these crazy gadgets and options - you can complete most scenarios by employing the same tactic. Run up to a guy, press B, run away, wait for the guards to go back to their path patterns and repeat.

Visually it's verrrry rough too. There's also a very obvious lag between executing an animation and Sam actually performing it.

It's great fun though at times.

I nearly smashed my controller earlier though. This one fucking level with stupidly frustrating checkpoints and annoying triggers for enemy spawns all mixed in with this wanky wank platforming-esque part with laser grids. :evil:

Dan Yo

Banned
About how long will the co-op last? I'm considering getting it with a friend but if there isn't much replayability then I'll probably just wait for a price drop or two.

JambiBum

squicken said:
Weird. I can't access it. It just boots me back to the game.

Edit: and of course now I can access it. Is anything worth buying?
The infiltration mode and the weapon.

Dan yo said:
Are they putting up free stuff every Thursday? Is it only free for one day?

Every Thursday as far as I know.

Lunchbox

Banned
Spike6663 said:
I nearly smashed my controller earlier though. This one fucking level with stupidly frustrating checkpoints and annoying triggers for enemy spawns all mixed in with this wanky wank platforming-esque part with laser grids. :evil:

that level was the closest to all the old splinter cells. closed offices, lasers, instant deaths

that kinda puts things into perspective how much more approachable/fun they made conviction for you kiddies, and theres still crying

Spike6663 said:

I'd been playing for a good portion of the morning and had to stop at the part you're talking about because I found it incredibly frustrating for the same reason. I don't hate all the checkpoints, but I did hate that one because I had to deal with the same handful of guards over and over. I just got past it about ten minutes ago.

Had a moment of pure awesome when I was spotted, and accidentally threw a sticky camera into a wall rather than emit an EMP. Climbed onto a balcony to evade my Last Known Position and when I opened up the camera remote I saw three guards huddled around it...

...BOOM.

I'm having mixed feelings...and not even from a Splinter Cell fan's perspective, just as a gamer. I feel less like a stealthy badass and more like Batman, with more chaos than I care for. It's a lot of taking someone out, hiding and doing it until they're all gone, and not so much fun stealthy "use your head" progression.

I'm about an hour and a half in. I'm happy I only spent 9 bucks renting it instead of $40-$60, I'll have no problem beating and saying goodbye to this game come Monday.

d0c_zaius

Spike6663 said:
I'm about half way through and have majorly mixed feelings. Similar to Batman - it's very easy to romp around and feel like a badass but, even with all these crazy gadgets and options - you can complete most scenarios by employing the same tactic. Run up to a guy, press B, run away, wait for the guards to go back to their path patterns and repeat.

Visually it's verrrry rough too. There's also a very obvious lag between executing an animation and Sam actually performing it.

It's great fun though at times.

I agree with most of this. The lasers were annoying only for the first group because of the awkward perspective the camera can take when moving through the first two lasers, but once I got down the timing it wasnt so bad.

Lunchbox

Banned
Dan Yo said:
Thanks. Do you have any info about the length of the co-op? The replayability of it?

each campaign is around an hour or so and theres 4 of them, enemy spawns are sometimes different. hunter/last stand etc. modes are like horde from gears so they're meant to be replayed

JambiBum

Lunchbox said:
each campaign is around an hour or so and theres 4 of them, enemy spawns are sometimes different. hunter/last stand etc. modes are like horde from gears so they're meant to be replayed

Last stand is really the only one that is like horde mode. Just waves of enemies coming at you. With Gears you never really have anywhere to go in horde but in hunter you do. But I guess since it's got a set number of enemies I can see the similarities. Just semantics really

Dan Yo

Banned
Lunchbox said:
Hmm. Do you think some of the more difficult achievements in co-op will take awhile? Perhaps the horde achievements?

I want to convince my friend to get it but if we do it will be mostly for the multiplayer, and 4 hours doesn't seem like much.

JambiBum

Dan Yo said:
Hmm. Do you think some of the more difficult achievements in co-op will take awhile? Perhaps the horde achievements?

I want to convince my friend to get it but if we do it will be mostly for the multiplayer, and 4 hours doesn't seem like much.

It's 4 hours if you play it on normal. Around 6 if you play it on realistic. There is plenty of replayability with the different game modes and such. My least favorite mode is the last stand mode, just because I don't think it really works too well with the way the game plays.

All I've done in the game so far is played Hunter online with a friend, and WOW. Co-op goodness. Some of the levels are taking us quite a while even on Normal because you really can't take a lot of damage which is a very good thing. I haven't even touched the singleplayer or co-op story, or any of the other co-op modes and it's already well worth the $45 I paid for it :p

Lunchbox

Banned
about the ending
was that lambert talking to vic? it looked like him from the back

Dan Yo said:

co-op should be the main reason you get this game. its amazing. singleplayer is more like a sidequest compared to the co-op

Dan Yo

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
All I've done in the game so far is played Hunter online with a friend, and WOW. Co-op goodness. Some of the levels are taking us quite a while even on Normal because you really can't take a lot of damage which is a very good thing. I haven't even touched the singleplayer or co-op story, or any of the other co-op modes and it's already well worth the $45 I paid for it :p
What is hunter mode?

Dan Yo said:
What is hunter mode?

IDK if you've ever played Terrorist hunt in Rainbow Six, but it's like a progressive version of that. You have 4 or 5 "areas" to clear out 10 enemies in each area. If you get detected, they call for backup, and sometimes when you die/retry, the enemy paths are slightly different. After you clear out each area, you have a weapon stash checkpoint to switch gear, and prepare for the next area. Pretty fun with a friend, and the dual executions, or when a plan goes perfectly is badass.

Infiltration is like Hunter except detection = FAIL.

TripOpt55

I played through the first two levels (well the tutorial level and the next one). I really like it so far. Seems to be a good amount of options in the second level on how to approach things. It was a bit on the easy side. I'm playing on normal though and it is the beginning of the game. I like the projected objectives and cutscenes, but I could do without them telling me where I can climb a pipe. I'm guessing that's just because it's the beginning of the game. I'm enjoying it though. A lot of fun so far.

JambiBum

Net_Wrecker said:
IDK if you've ever played Terrorist hunt in Rainbow Six, but it's like a progressive version of that. You have 4 or 5 "areas" to clear out 10 enemies in each area. If you get detected, they call for backup, and sometimes when you die/retry, the enemy paths are slightly different. After you clear out each area, you have a weapon stash checkpoint to switch gear, and prepare for the next area. Pretty fun wish a friend, and the dual executions, or when a plan goes perfectly is badass.

Infiltration is like Hunter except detection = FAIL.

Hunter is definitely a lot of fun. I only have two levels left to get the achievement.

Also I just finished all of the Splinter Cell challenges. The one where you have to throw a guy through a window and break the glass eluded me for so damn long. Every time I tried either the window was unbreakable, there was no window, or I get screwed over and the guy gets stuck in the middle partition and half his body hangs out of the window and the other half hangs inside :lol . Wish I could of taken a picture of it.

kamspy

Game is pretty great.

There are nits to pick, but the gameplay get's you over them.

No it's not classic Splinter Cell gameplay in any way shape or form, but it's god damned fun.

The image quality ranges from Xbox1 to ZOMG sometimes in the span of 5 seconds, but the average quality is pretty good.

I hope somehow, someway, the PC version get's the DRM stripped and a few mods are snuck in. With just a few tiny tweaks this game could be soooo much better.

After renting the 360 version, I'm really really itching to try it on PC. But so much fucking red tape. The UbiDRM is one thing, but a much larger concern for me is the quality of the Double Agent PC build. It's entirely broken.

Still, 360 owners, do not hesitate. This game is the shit. Once you really wrap your head around all the ways to use mark and execute and the portable EMP you feel like a fucking navy seal nitro ninja.

Ephemeris

koshunter said:
I'm talking about the one where a male and female scientist get shot by the soldier who says something to the effect of that the scientist can't even die like a man. To get past that, you have to mark the soldier that walks into the hallway, and move into cover to the table in front of where the two soldiers stand and talk. From there, you can move into cover on the wall near the soldier who walks into the hall, and sit right beside him until he turns around and leaves.

God damn that's confusing. I'll try to make a video.

Are you talking about where you first get the sticky cam?

JambiBum

So I found something out about the Kotaku review just now. Totilo played the second half of the co op campaign by himself with two controllers because the guy he played the start of it with wasn't able to finish it before they had to send back their review codes. Seriously? Just find someone else to play with you. He says he struggled through it and couldn't beat the final area playing this way. Still. It's a damn co op campaign. Find someone else to play with. I don't even know why this angers me, because I don't pay attention to Kotaku reviews but it still irks me.

Top Bottom