• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Does anyone know if there are still any deals going around for pre-order? Splinter doesn't seem to work anymore and the dell deal is dead.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
skyfinch said:
Any option of disabling the black and white filter, or projections?

I'd also like to replace Sam with someone else. Could I also change the title screen? Can I also make this first person?

For those wanting reviews, Jeff Gerstmann mentioned in the latest Deadly Premonition endurance run(ep 4) that he was playing this game. So, it's in reviewer's hands.

EDIT:
JambiBum said:
IGN said that they will have their "review" up on Friday by 5 pm PST.

Eh, beaten I guess.

MMaRsu

Big Ass Ramp said:
I'd also like to replace Sam with someone else. Could I also change the title screen? Can I also make this first person?

For those wanting reviews, Jeff Gerstmann mentioned in the latest Deadly Premonition endurance run(ep 4) that he was playing this game. So, it's in reviewer's hands.

EDIT:

Eh, beaten I guess.

Yeah cause those wishes are totally the same right?

-_-

skyfinch

Big Ass Ramp said:

WTF does that have to do with anything?

Raide

The Black and White is here to stay. Its just another Light and Shadow bar without it actually being a bar.

As for the Projections... I really don't notice them after a while. I am concentrating on stalking around, I only notice them for a split second if they tell me to do something. :lol

JambiBum

Updated the OP with the Edge score. I'll try and keep up with reviews as they come in but once I get my hands on the game that will slow down quite a bit.

The black and white works great and I've found it really supports the gameplay. The projections are not intrusive and mostly come up at key moments.

I've got some time to play today and will keep posting impressions.

One thing I didn't mention yet is that Sam's animations are quite fluid and, not to be a broken record, but I can again see the influence of 2 iterations of Assassin's Creed here. It would be interesting to find out how much cross pollination was happening with the development.

Amazon's not offering free release day delivery for Prime members on this one, and the SPLINTER code has expired. Looks like I'll be waiting till the inevitable $40 deal day to use my $20 Battlefield Promo credit.

MrCompletely said:
Amazon's not offering free release day delivery for Prime members on this one, and the SPLINTER code has expired. Looks like I'll be waiting till the inevitable $40 deal day to use my $20 Battlefield Promo credit.

Good thing I got mine pre-ordered while I could.

miladesn said:
EDGE - 8/10
8 is a high praise from EDGE!

Nice, I like EDGE a lot and respect their reviews, and an 8 from them is really good. Considering they say a 5 from edge is like a 7 from other reviewers.

Alright - now that I've had some time to see a few more environments, I can honestly say that I don't think people are going to be "wowed" by the graphics. That said, I think the visuals are still very acceptable and, as mentioned, art direction and keen attention to level detail are exceptional. The lighting is especially nice here and, really, Conviction is not an ugly game. It's just that at this point in this generation and quite recently, we've seen some very impressive stuff. In this light, Ubisoft's latest may seem, at times, a little behind the curve.

That out of the way, I can safely say that this is easily one of the most enjoyable Splinter Cell games I've ever played. The increased pacing and attention to speed and slick cover techniques have completely won me over. I do love the old games and their methodical pace. It's just that the retooled mechanics here make for a more engaging experience by comparison (at least, for me). Don't get me wrong, though, this still has that old Splinter Cell feel through and through. It's just taken to a different level and one that I'm thoroughly enjoying.

...back to it!

Just ordered this on Amazon. Had a $25 gift card, signed up for the Amazon credit card which gives you a $30 credit, and signed up for the free trial of Amazon Prime, so free 2-day shipping. So all in all I basically got Conviction shipped for $1. Pretty good deal.

Lakitu

st5fu
CloakedPuppet said:
Alright - now that I've had some time to see a few more environments, I can honestly say that I don't think people are going to be "wowed" by the graphics. That said, I think the visuals are still very acceptable and, as mentioned, art direction and keen attention to level detail are exceptional. The lighting is especially nice here and, really, Conviction is not an ugly game. It's just that at this point in this generation and quite recently, we've seen some very impressive stuff. In this light, Ubisoft's latest may seem, at times, a little behind the curve.

That out of the way, I can safely say that this is easily one of the most enjoyable Splinter Cell games I've ever played. The increased pacing and attention to speed and slick cover techniques have completely won me over. I do love the old games and their methodical pace. It's just that the retooled mechanics here make for a more engaging experience by comparison (at least, for me). Don't get me wrong, though, this still has that old Splinter Cell feel through and through. It's just taken to a different level and one that I'm thoroughly enjoying.

...back to it!

Thanks for the impressions! Can't wait.

Also...

those who are GRAW fans should feel right at home at one point.

I'm seriously itching to get this online once more people have it.

Raide said:
The Black and White is here to stay. Its just another Light and Shadow bar without it actually being a bar.

But it's really fucking annoying when playing, easily the worst thing about the game. Well and the cheesy cutscenes of course but we expected that.

AMUSIX

Once again...a game without an attract reel. Whatever happened to Microsoft requiring them? This sucks. I want it running in the store, but as it is, it's only the title and three swirling red glows.

Then again, due to a screw-up in ordering, I ended up with way too many. So now I've got to figure out what to do with them all. Fun...

Lothars

so I preordered the Collectors edition today, I can't wait to play it

The demo was alright but I have faith it will be better than the demo is.

Lothars

CrazedArabMan said:
Good thing I got mine pre-ordered while I could.

Nice, I like EDGE a lot and respect their reviews, and an 8 from them is really good. Considering they say a 5 from edge is like a 7 from other reviewers.

Im not a fan of EDGE at all but I am really surprised that it did get such a high score from them.

Lothars

CloakedPuppet said:

...back to it!

Would you say this is on par with Chaos Theory? I ask because Chaos Theory is the standard of splinter cell games, I love that game.

Milk Lizard said:
But it's really fucking annoying when playing, easily the worst thing about the game. Well and the cheesy cutscenes of course but we expected that.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I haven't found it at all annoying and there are times where I've found myself preferring it over the old light indicator system.

I don't want to come off as an apologist or blind fan of this game. I'm not what you would call a cynical gamer either. I tend to enjoy games for their strengths and SC Conviction has a LOT of them. You can argue that the old mechanics were fine but I really felt like it was time to move on after Double Agent. In the end, individual preferences will prevail but I'm happy for the changes.

Lothars said:
Would you say this is on par with Chaos Theory? I ask because Chaos Theory is the standard of splinter cell games, I love that game.

That's a tough one given the changes. I'd also place Chaos Theory as the best in the series.

If pushed I'd say that it falls a bit short of CT but not as much as some may lead you to believe. It's up in the top 3 for me so far.

[edit - I think I may pop in Chaos Theory today to do a little contrasting and comparing. Also, I'm curious to see how well it holds up]

eshwaaz

CloakedPuppet said:
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I haven't found it at all annoying and there are times where I've found myself preferring it over the old light indicator system.

I don't want to come off as an apologist or blind fan of this game. I'm not what you would call a cynical gamer either. I tend to enjoy games for their strengths and SC Conviction has a LOT of them. You can argue that the old mechanics were fine but I really felt like it was time to move on after Double Agent. In the end, individual preferences will prevail but I'm happy for the changes.
I felt the same way. I've always been a big fan of the series, but I was starting to get burned out after Double Agent. I'm still not completely sold on Conviction's approach, but I'm trying to go into it with an open mind.

Lothars said:
I think it's better to look at this game as a spiritual successor to Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 since it seems to be mostly the same team and emphasizes a lot of the same concepts. I'm hoping the premises of the missions truly justify the use of force if they're not going to let me full stealth through it like I've done in every other SC game (except for the level in current-gen DA where you have to KO everyone on the tanker :lol ).

Well, I just gave Chaos Theory a go for shits and giggles. I haven't touched it in a few years but I'm really impressed with how good it still looks. Right off the bat and fresh from playing the new game, it took a little time to forget about the new cover mechanic. :lol

CT really pushed the original XBox and makes the graphics of the Conviction seem like a pretty minor step forward given the time that`s passed. From the very first game, this series was always reliable as a true looker and, given that, I can understand people's disappointment. The new game doesn't leave you with that same feeling you had when you first feasted your eyes on those pre-order or OXM Mag demos back in the day. It's hard not to be disappointed that Ubi seems to have dropped the emphasis on ground breaking visuals for Conviction. However, like I said, if you can get beyond that, you're in for a really good time.

Game-play wise, Chaos Theory really does feel like a step backward for me. The sluggish pace and robotic AI are pretty glaring nowadays. The game is still a lot of fun for sure but I really feel like the developers were at the peak of what they could do with the old mechanics when this game was released. It`s for that reason that I think folks felt Double Agent was filler and really shouldn`t be so quick to judge the new game.

The fun tactics of distraction / cover and cat & mouse are still there in Conviction but they now feel more immediate and (for lack of a better term) visceral in comparison.

Anyhow, I`m glad I went back to to what I still feel is an excellent game. If nothing, it proved to me that Ubisoft was really ahead of it`s time with that game. It also removed those rose colored glasses for at least a while. :lol Now back to this gen.

burgerdog said:
Impressions, now!

sorry gave it to my friend. i'm still trying to finish dragonage. i can wait for next week to get another copy. looking forward to playing coop most then anything else

JambiBum

CloakedPuppet said:
Well, I just gave Chaos Theory a go for shits and giggles. I haven't touched it in a few years but I'm really impressed with how good it still looks. Right off the bat and fresh from playing the new game, it took a little time to forget about the new cover mechanic. :lol

CT really pushed the original XBox and makes the graphics of the Conviction seem like a pretty minor step forward given the time that`s passed. From the very first game, this series was always reliable as a true looker and, given that, I can understand people's disappointment. The new game doesn't leave you with that same feeling you had when you first feasted your eyes on those pre-order or OXM Mag demos back in the day. It's hard not to be disappointed that Ubi seems to have dropped the emphasis on ground breaking visuals for Conviction. However, like I said, if you can get beyond that, you're in for a really good time.

Game-play wise, Chaos Theory really does feel like a step backward for me. The sluggish pace and robotic AI are pretty glaring nowadays. The game is still a lot of fun for sure but I really feel like the developers were at the peak of what they could do with the old mechanics when this game was released. It`s for that reason that I think folks felt Double Agent was filler and really shouldn`t be so quick to judge the new game.

The fun tactics of distraction / cover and cat & mouse are still there in Conviction but they now feel more immediate and (for lack of a better term) visceral in comparison.

Anyhow, I`m glad I went back to to what I still feel is an excellent game. If nothing, it proved to me that Ubisoft was really ahead of it`s time with that game. It also removed those rose colored glasses for at least a while. :lol Now back to this gen.

I hate you. But at the same time I love you for posting impressions. How if I may ask did you manage to snag a copy early?

JambiBum said:
I hate you. But at the same time I love you for posting impressions. How if I may ask did you manage to snag a copy early?

Mom and pop shop. I actually debated grabbing it since I have a copy of the LE on order through Amazon. I caved though - couldn't resist. I'll trade this copy in once my LE arrives. I just have to look at it as an expensive rental.:lol It was worth it for me in order to play the game at least a week early since Amazon will take at least a couple of days to ship.

Just finished with another level and am pretty struck by the different kinds of scenarios - definitely more than dark corridors in this game.

dream

CloakedPuppet said:
You can argue that the old mechanics were fine but I really felt like it was time to move on after Double Agent. In the end, individual preferences will prevail but I'm happy for the changes.

That's not fair. The Chaos Theory style of Splinter Cell was never given a chance to evolve on a next generation platform. I don't completely believe that Ubi Montreal pushed it as far as it could go with the XBox version of Double Agent.

burgerdog

MrCompletely said:

"Get it the day it comes out!
Pre-order and Release-Date Delivery is FREE with Amazon Prime. See details."

What?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I have four copies of the game I'm giving away. Pm me for more details. If the demand is high, ill post the details in this thread.

burgerdog said:
"Get it the day it comes out!
Pre-order and Release-Date Delivery is FREE with Amazon Prime. See details."

What?
strange, is wasn't giving me the option earlier when I was trying to check out.
I've had that problem in the past with Amazon though, maybe just a fluke ?

MrCompletely said:
strange, is wasn't giving me the option earlier when I was trying to check out.
I've had that problem in the past with Amazon though, maybe just a fluke ?
They must have just changed it. It wasn't offered when I ordered it yesterday. You can change your order, but I'm sure you already knew that.

dream said:
That's not fair. The Chaos Theory style of Splinter Cell was never given a chance to evolve on a next generation platform. I don't completely believe that Ubi Montreal pushed it as far as it could go with the XBox version of Double Agent.

Conviction might end up being fantastic, but I still have to agree with this.

BCD2 said:
They must have just changed it. It wasn't offered when I ordered it yesterday. You can change your order, but I'm sure you already knew that.
Not to belabor, but just for the benefit of informing, you have to cancel an order and reorder to change to the prime release day shipping option. once an order is placed, you can only switch to the standard shipping options.

Wow.

Things are really hitting there stride here. Just now started messing with the gadgets and am having a ball. I was ready to defend where I thought things were going with this but I think Chaos Theory and old SC fans will actually be quite pleased. Things are now feeling like familiar territory with a a new coat of paint - if that makes sense. :lol

Also, the new gui or hud is really nice and well thought out.

I really don't want to spoil anything. ;)

Lunchbox

Banned
HOLY SHIT GHOST RECON !!!!!! :lol YEAS

btw, people who are sensitive to light spoilers dont watch the IGN video review.
But do, cause its awesome

~Kinggi~

Banned
MrCompletely said:
Not to belabor, but just for the benefit of informing, you have to cancel an order and reorder to change to the prime release day shipping option. once an order is placed, you can only switch to the standard shipping options.
Not true, i could edit the shipping speed within the order section for Alan Wake LE just the other day once Release Date shipping was available.

Lunchbox said:
HOLY SHIT GHOST RECON !!!!!! :lol YEAS

btw, people who are sensitive to light spoilers dont watch the IGN video review.
But do, cause its awesome

That review has a lot of douchey spoilers in my opinion. People should avoid the video review.

Also, I think Goldstein is pulling that 5 hour thing out of his ass.

Lunchbox

Banned
CloakedPuppet said:
That review has a lot of douchey spoilers in my opinion. People should avoid the video review.

Also, I think Goldstein is pulling that 5 hour thing out of his ass.

he did say he was on his 3rd playthrough, so i guess it would be possible to finish it in 5 hours after you already beat it twice and know exactly how the game pans out.

but the first playthrough should be/probably is way longer.

Lunchbox said:
he did say he was on his 3rd playthrough, so i guess it would be possible to finish it in 5 hours after you already beat it twice and know exactly how the game pans out.

but the first playthrough should be/probably is way longer.

Yeah - there was someone else in this thread that mentioned he'd put at least 10 hours in. I don't know if I've reached the 5 hour mark but I know that I'm no where near the end.

Top Bottom