• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

MrCompletely said:
Not to belabor, but just for the benefit of informing, you have to cancel an order and reorder to change to the prime release day shipping option. once an order is placed, you can only switch to the standard shipping options.
Not to double-belabor, but you're not the first person I know that has had to do it that way. In my "change shipping speed" options I have the choice of release-date delivery. I just did it before replying to your first post.

Not too long ago I had a long, and drawn out "dude, what are you blind?" conversation with a friend about the exact same thing regarding our GoW3 orders. Turns out he didn't have that option to switch to release-date delivery either. Why that is, I have no idea. Maybe Google might turn something up.

~Kinggi~ said:
Not true, i could edit the shipping speed within the order section for Alan Wake LE just the other day once Release Date shipping was available.

Thank God. Just preordered Alan Wake LE myself and was afraid they didn't offer release date delivery for it because it's a larger shipment. I'll try it again, thanks for the update.

Edit: Got release date shipping :D.

Hopefully there's some good deal within the month for Splinter Cell; I'd love to pick it up after finals and before Alan Wake comes out.

kaskade

9.3 I'm really excited for the game and I didn't even expect it to get that high of a score. I was thinking it would be in the mid 8 range. Oh well I got my preorder for 37 bucks so I'm happy. :D

kaskade said:
9.3 I'm really excited for the game and I didn't even expect it to get that high of a score. I was thinking it would be in the mid 8 range. Oh well I got my preorder for 37 bucks so I'm happy. :D

Not to sound like a cynic, but IGN has been running features on their front page for a couple weeks now. No way this game scored less than a 9.

eshwaaz

If the single player campaign really is only 5 hours long, I'm going to be mighty pissed. I know many people are really excited about the co-op, but I've never been a multiplayer guy. Besides, the Splinter Cell games have always been single-player focused experiences first and foremost, and the thought of the campaign in Conviction suffering in favor of co-op frustrates me to no end.

EDIT:
CloakedPuppet said:
Yeah - there was someone else in this thread that mentioned he'd put at least 10 hours in. I don't know if I've reached the 5 hour mark but I know that I'm no where near the end.
Good to hear. Please let us know when you've beaten it with an estimate of how long it took. Thanks for your continued impressions; aside from the concerns over length it sounds fantastic.

Pooya

Game informer 9/10

The magazine praised the streamlined controls, the beautiful environments of the game, the excellent co-op experiences, and the fluid animation of Sam Fisher’s moves, at the same time, they complained about the overuse of the black and white effect (The effect which shows the player if he is in stealth mode or not):

- Graphics:

The environments are beautifully rendered, and Sam’s animations are killer. Black and White effects are used to freely, resulting in a detachment from the world.

- Sound:
Sam’s gravelly tones are fueled by emotion and backed by a suprisingly score.

- Playability:

I never once had to fuss with the controls. The stealth mechanics are easy to embrace, and the gunplay offers razor-sharp precision.

- Entertainment:

A Satisfying conclusion to Sam Fisher’s tale coupled with one of gaming’s most rewarding co-op experiences.

- Replay Value:

Moderately High.

CrazedArabMan said:
I've heard the co-op is 5 hours while the regular campaign is around 8-10.

Yeah - that seems about right. I just put around another 2 hours in and I'd say in total I'm at around 6 to 7 hours. I'm not done.

Pooya

previous game didn't have very long story modes. Chaos Theory can be finished in ~8 hours for example, they had good replay value though, I've played through SCCT like 5 or 6 times.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I can do a speed run of Chaos Theory in 45 minutes (no kills).

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
dewm tew said:
dont be a dick, dick

I'm not a penis, I simply was pointing out that the guy wanted to disable all the features that make Conviction, Conviction.

Ether_Snake said:

I bet you get all the ladies.

I don't want to be left behind with no Splinter Cell as the last amazing one for me was Chaos Theory but there are just too many changes that don't scratch me the right way.

If Ubi were to offer a patch that allowed the Black and White filter optional I'd be sold on it. Like it really does irritate my eyes, it's weird. =/

Square Triangle said:
I don't want to be left behind with no Splinter Cell as the last amazing one for me was Chaos Theory but there are just too many changes that don't scratch me the right way.

If Ubi were to offer a patch that allowed the Black and White filter optional I'd be sold on it. Like it really does irritate my eyes, it's weird. =/

You may feel that way by watching videos but it very well could change when you've got the controller in your hand. I honestly barely notice it while I'm playing. It really works ideally with the speed that you go in and out of cover in this iteration.

If you are a big fan of CT, you'd really be missing out here. Since I posted earlier today and played some more, Conviction has actually started to close in on Chaos Theory territory for me. It's THAT good. A couple of the levels I've played so far are easily among the best environments I've seen in this series. There's some genius design here that just screams "replay me"!

Lunchbox

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
bet you need these

2lo183.gif

Phloxy

Problem is for me, the black and white literally gives me a headache. Their is certain parts where its like, black and white, full color, and so on an so forth and it makes my eyes strain unlike any other game I've ever played.

Playing earlier on split-screen really made it worse. Both sides going in an out of black n white and full color so fast so much just sucks. They need to either add an option to turn it off or I'm gonna have to hope somebody hacks the PC version when it comes out.

Other than that I really love the game though, ton of fun. Just wish the game didn't make my head hurt so much when I played it. Never had an issue with eye strain before, just weird.

Aklamarth

Few impressions from me. I'm almost done with the single player.

I was really intrigued when the first announced Conviction . It looked like they would do both character development with a intriguing story (bearded Sam rocks) and interesting gameplay (crowd control. Unfortunately the scrapped that and now we get a action game. Make no mistake stealth does play a part in this but this is ultimately a action game (yes...break the door and enter guns blazing it is an option. I'm playing on normal).

There isn't any character development and the overall story is weak. If you don't expect the old stealth game , then the gameplay is good. Different environments, good fights, smart AI , interesting terrain navigation....all good.

The graphics are mixed. You CAN see the low res (look at the sky textures) and more than a few muddy textures.

Lothars

CloakedPuppet said:
Wow.

Things are really hitting there stride here. Just now started messing with the gadgets and am having a ball. I was ready to defend where I thought things were going with this but I think Chaos Theory and old SC fans will actually be quite pleased. Things are now feeling like familiar territory with a a new coat of paint - if that makes sense. :lol

Also, the new gui or hud is really nice and well thought out.

I really don't want to spoil anything. ;)

I look forward to playing it even though I didn't really enjoy the demo to much but I will still be picking it up.

yup, seems like a great game. i love me them Clancy games.
great to see it's getting good reviews. now i need to find me a good co-op partner.. that's proabably the best part of the game.

above image: lol at people saying the claw is JUST in the right bottom and is barely noticable.

anyway, claw won't ruin my game.

AMUSIX

Ether_Snake said:
I really wish that were still possible.

For me, beating a Splinter Cell mission (at least in PT and CT) was about doing it zero-kill (or as few as possible). I'm liking Conviction, and it really is a very good game, but there is so much emphasis on killing everybody. And there are mandatory kills everywhere. I've had to learn to stop looking for ways to complete tasks undetected, and instead focus on ways to kill as efficiently as possible.

Sotha Sil

AMUSIX said:

For me, beating a Splinter Cell mission (at least in PT and CT) was about doing it zero-kill (or as few as possible). I'm liking Conviction, and it really is a very good game, but there is so much emphasis on killing everybody. And there are mandatory kills everywhere. I've had to learn to stop looking for ways to complete tasks undetected, and instead focus on ways to kill as efficiently as possible.

This.

I find it quite troubling character-wise. I don't picture Sam Fisher gunning down dozens of mooks, revenge or no revenge. Killing the guys who did/planned this? I guess. But I would have liked a no-kill/stealth option.

(Yes, I know that's a Tom Clancy franchise)

dream

Sotha Sil said:
This.

I find it quite troubling character-wise. I don't picture Sam Fisher gunning down dozens of mooks, revenge or no revenge. Killing the guys who did/planned this? I guess. But I would have liked a no-kill/stealth option.

I'm not usually a stickler for character motivations and such but I find it hard to not agree with this. Sam has never had such a cavalier attitude towards killing people before and it's a little jarring to see him mow down waves of people in Conviction without a second thought.

I'm more inclined to blame Double Agent for the disconnect though. That game just didn't convince me that Sam doesn't give a fuck anymore.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
As someone who didn't enjoy the earlier Splinter Cell games because of their style of game play i'm very much so interested in this.

Saw the IGN video review, whilst full of spoiler looking things that I now regret looking at, it still made the game look even better to me.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just finished writing my review of the Conviction, embargo on the 13rd though. Finished it with a friend once on normal, once on realistic.
AMUSIX said:

There are places where you can go around 10+ guards without having to kill even one. Heck, it certainly is much simpler (though not simple at all until you memorize the layout of the level) than killing them all.

Blimblim said:
Just finished writing my review of the Conviction, embargo on the 13rd though. Finished it with a friend once on normal, once on realistic.

Can you say anything about the length of the campaign ?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
LordPhoque said:
Can you say anything about the length of the campaign ?
Something between Modern Warfare 2 and Uncharted 2, but it's a very intense campaign with very little padding, so it's still satisfying.

Sotha Sil said:
This.

You'll probably like the Conviction novel better for the Sam of old. If Sarah's death is as big a part of the plot as the demo and ad campaign make it out to be, it's already drastically different from the book. Her death gets like a one paragraph mention and the rest is business as usual for Sam, albeit in Jason Bourne 'on the run' mode.

AMUSIX said:

This makes me sad =(

That release trailer has me listening to "God's Gonna Cut You Down" on repeat on my iTunes. :lol

Johnny Cash, making other people's songs way cooler since...whenever!

skyfinch

Big Ass Ramp said:
I'm not a penis, I simply was pointing out that the guy wanted to disable all the features that make Conviction, Conviction.

All the features? Yeah, buddy, you are a dick. I simply asked about two very annoying and unnecessary features. Black and White filter, because the game is dark enough as it is with Sam not having the night vision in past games, and projections because I don't need someone holding my hand the entire way. Projections are like "wave point indicators" in some games or "dynamic racing lines" in racing games. These games give you the option to turn them off, especially if it's your second play through or if, and once, you get better at the game.

Neither of these options add anything to the game, and in fact, would make the game a better experience if they weren't included. Don't tell me that after my second/third/fourth play through, that I have to sit there and have stupid projections clogging up the entire screen when I know exactly where to go and what objectives to do.

Anyways, if you think Splinter Cell Conviction was created just for the sole purpose of black and white filters and onscreen projections, you're a freaking idiot!

Wow the level in
Iraq is fucking terrible, the shooting and cover system when it's just full blown action feels like rogue warrior and the enemy ai being retarded isn't helping either, seriously sometimes they take cover on the wrong side of stuff so you can shoot them in the ass with ease :lol

Other than that the game is great, the stealth is still there most of the time and that is where the game shines

Milk Lizard said:
Wow the level in
Iraq is fucking terrible, the shooting and cover system when it's just full blown action feels like rogue warrior and the enemy ai being retarded isn't helping either, seriously sometimes they take cover on the wrong side of stuff so you can shoot them in the ass with ease :lol

Other than that the game is great, the stealth is still there most of the time and that is where the game shines

I agree it's pretty weak but I still had fun with it.
Also, it's relatively short. I really think they plopped it in there to get people in the mindset of the next Ghost Recon. It really seems kind of tacked on.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AMUSIX said:

For me, beating a Splinter Cell mission (at least in PT and CT) was about doing it zero-kill (or as few as possible).

Why did you leave SC1? It only had 1 forced kill, but PT has at least 10 forced kills.

tzare

wow, that IGN review is kind of weird, the overall score is above all partial scores :D

I'd really love the plot being a great part of the game, as in the previous games it was so-so. If that is the case i may forgive them changing the gameplay so much

Also, for those wondering about length, I think I'm somewhere around the 7.5-8 hour mark and it feels like I may be going into the last mission. Can't be sure though. I'll play more later and update.

Top Bottom