• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

TheVampire said:
Damn all of them in 1st?

Your a monster......

HA, some of them needed patience but they aren't by any means out of the realms of possible. I'd love to crack the Dev times to get the Platinum, maybe I'll check the YouTube vids to see if they can help.

I didnt know the Airport level had at that first area where you can route change, and second route change, where you are on the runway going beside the passenger boarding area of the airport area and then opens up onto the actual main runway on the level.

Yeah that was one thing I loved about that track it had more depth to it under an original Route Change. I believe only Dry Docks is the other track with 3 route changes. Most others only had one and Power Plant and Construction Yard didn't have any.

There are several areas on that track where the road is so narrow that you'll sometimes get waves of missiles that are impossible to evade perfectly. Plus, there are lots of curves... which is good for drifting, but horrible for seeing the missile targets and plotting a path if the heli launches a wave right after you clear a turn. Maybe I needed to use a different vehicle, I dunno. I replayed it numerous times and the best I could get is sixth place. Ugh.

You can indeed evade all his attacks perfectly, and I believe the only way you're going to do that one, because there's no time to waste. It's how I managed it. Maybe there's some Youtube vids you can watch to help you get an idea. I think I had a car that you unlock near the end but I don't know if that makes a difference.

Goddammit! 1.98 secs seperate me from a Platinum.

I knew I didn't like that Power Plant level for a reason. Jees that's some serious crap. It's really just those nasty corners on the very last section (where the shortcut is) that gets me.

crispyben

Katana_Strikes said:
Goddammit! 1.98 secs seperate me from a Platinum.

I knew I didn't like that Power Plant level for a reason. Jees that's some serious crap. It's really just those nasty corners on the very last section (where the shortcut is) that gets me.
Hey, I got 1st on all events like you, and I managed those Trophies, so you can do it! I think I used the Cobretti 530 GTS for both, following the Youtube videos helped too. Gor for it!

mrklaw said:
Is there a 'best' car? I'm really liking the cobretti gt 500 ( I think that's what it's called). I keep winning what should be way better cars on paper, but they seem slower in races. Is it because the race lineup changes based on your chosen car, so if i choose a fast one, everyone else has a fast one too?
See above, but it's really personal, and it varies if it's online or a Detonator...

DrAndonuts said:
So... are the cars named after action stars? I noticed Hanzo (Sonny Chiba played Hattori Hanzo in a Shadow Warriors and Kill Bill), Ryback (Seagal as Casey Ryback from Under Siege 1/2), and Cobretti (Stallone as Marion "Cobra" Cobretti in Cobra). Those are the only 3 manufacturers I've got so far in the game. Are there any others?
Nice find!

Katana_Strikes said:
Yeah that was one thing I loved about that track it had more depth to it under an original Route Change. I believe only Dry Docks is the other track with 3 route changes. Most others only had one and Power Plant and Construction Yard didn't have any.

They thought Power Plant has it when the Tower thing falls (via the power plant detonator track). Also, I thought it also has it when the Nuclear Generator things explode and cause you unable to take the shortcut underneath them?

dankir

So I just picked this up blindly. Huge fan of PGR and Burnout played many many hours of those titles. How does this stack up?

Dedication Through Light said:
They thought Power Plant has it when the Tower thing falls (via the power plant detonator track). Also, I thought it also has it when the Nuclear Generator things explode and cause you unable to take the shortcut underneath them?

Sorry, just meant PowerPlay Level 2 Route Changes Symbol. Yeah, these tracks have alt routes but don't have the symbol come up as an official route changer. The construction Site track has a really cool alt route done by bringing that building down.

Hey, I got 1st on all events like you, and I managed those Trophies, so you can do it! I think I used the Cobretti 530 GTS for both, following the Youtube videos helped too. Gor for it!

OHMYGOSH! Thank you a million times. I was trying to do it with the Elite like in the Youtube vids I'd seen but just couldn't get 2 seconds off. I then tried some usually reliable cars I liked to use and no joy with them either. But this car... where has it been all my life. I mean it's so weird. Stat wise it's not as good and it's harder to control (least for me) yet it's somehow faster. If I could actually control this car I'd have knocked 8 seconds off that time :lol I wall bumped and grinded so much on the lap and still made the time. Yet perfect laps (to a degree) with the other cars and I'm seconds slower.

Finally got the Platinum thanks to your help.

So I just picked this up blindly. Huge fan of PGR and Burnout played many many hours of those titles. How does this stack up?

It's more like the older Burnouts but with a cool twist of being able to blow up parts of the track/use the environment to take out other racers. It's a really good game and one of the best arcade racers I've ever played.

crispyben

Katana_Strikes said:
OHMYGOSH! Thank you a million times. I was trying to do it with the Elite like in the Youtube vids I'd seen but just couldn't get 2 seconds off. I then tried some usually reliable cars I liked to use and no joy with them either. But this car... where has it been all my life. I mean it's so weird. Stat wise it's not as good and it's harder to control (least for me) yet it's somehow faster. If I could actually control this car I'd have knocked 8 seconds off that time :lol I wall bumped and grinded so much on the lap and still made the time. Yet perfect laps (to a degree) with the other cars and I'm seconds slower.

Finally got the Platinum thanks to your help.
You're welcome :D I just need the online trophies fro Platinum, but that seems so hard to get to form 1...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
crispyben said:
You're welcome :D I just need the online trophies fro Platinum, but that seems so hard to get to form 1...

Nah. That was the easiest trophy for me (got Platinum today). You'll do it in an afternoon.

Mdk7

This game is insane, really.
I'm at episode 11, i don't wanna beat it. :(

It's probably my favorite arcade racer ever, surely the best of this generation BY FAR.

Why the fuck most of the people are ignoring this beauty, why?!?

I got Split/Second yesterday (Best Buy sale) and it's incredible. Just soooo much fun to play. Definitely has that addictive "just one more game" aspect to it. Love it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Not sure what everyone was talking about before, Online is really fun once you've beat Season mode and pretty much know each track inside out. I don't even have the best cars, either, yet I can still win races.

Trick is to not waste your power bar on Level 1s, as the top players will be able to dodge them with relative ease... save them all up for the red bad boys. :D

Liberty4all

Banned
Tycho seems to like it ...

884439093_ECK33-O.jpg

Tycho said:
Split/Second - I will honor them by maintaining the slash - is an incredibly solid product. You can play the demo as many times as I did, which (between you and me) could well be described as a fuck-ton, and emerge from it with a sense that you have a firm handle on its bombast and can therefore skip the final release. It will be more of this, you might say to yourself. You'd be wrong; I certainly was.

Would you be surprised to learn that the demo map might be the least ridiculous one on offer? Or that its got alternate gameplay modes that split the difference between balls-out racing and bullet-hell shmups? They maintain that demo polish throughout the experience with frankly amazing UI work, amazing car design, and everything refined down into an infinitely suckable lozenge.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/5/31/

The rest of his post was a rant against Blur.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I bought Split/Second Sunday at Best Buy. I am LOVING it. It reminds me so much of Burnout Revenge, I love it. What I like about it is the fact that though it is an arcade racer, there is a real sophisticated driving model at it's core.

The first time I saw that plane coming down at me on the Airport level made me actually crack a huge smile. It has been a long time since I game made me feel that happy.

Just made it onto the third episode, and Goddamn if this game isn't fucking tough as nails. I have never played a racing game before where I've had to drive so defensively to keep 1st place.

But man alive, it's awesome. My friends and I are having a blast playing. So many "WHOA LOOK OUT FUCK" moments have been had.

Ceebs

Been playing a ton of the PC version. Absolutely love the game, but the online is pretty crap and the AI makes me want to throw gamepads. What grabs me the most about the game is the sound. It's just flat out amazing. I crank up the sound and as I blast under overpasses I hear the the deep woosh, the explosions shake the furniture and the engine noises are icing on the cake. If you have a good sound system you owe it to yourself to show it off with this game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
crispyben said:

See above, but it's really personal, and it varies if it's online or a Detonator...

Nice find!

cheers. I think the 530GTS is my next unlock, so I'll look forward to it.

crispyben

Dahbomb said:
Only 4 more Detonation races to go until I get 1st for every race. They are hard as fuck...
A Youtube user was kind enough to upload all season Detonators, which helped me greatly... Only Episode 12's was missing, but I found another video of it, which led me to completing it in bumper cam, something I never do :D

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
crispyben said:
A Youtube user was kind enough to upload all season Detonators, which helped me greatly... Only Episode 12's was missing, but I found another video of it, which led me to completing it in bumper cam, something I never do :D
Bumper cam is the only way to play racing games.

Any other cam and it's like controlling an RC car.

cjelly said:
Not sure what everyone was talking about before, Online is really fun once you've beat Season mode and pretty much know each track inside out. I don't even have the best cars, either, yet I can still win races.

Trick is to not waste your power bar on Level 1s, as the top players will be able to dodge them with relative ease... save them all up for the red bad boys. :D

That's the problem though, anyone just going into Online who hasn't progressed in the Single player won't stand much of a chance. You really have to have cars unlocked and know the tracks if you want to rise up the ranks. Otherwise you'll be moving up and down ranks by a few places and getting nowhere. Bit of a frustrating experience.

I rarely use Powerplays though Online (heh, when you're first all the time there's no one to use them on ;))... generally keep them to open shortcuts or for emergancys. Getting a good start to the race and driving well means you'll leave a lot of players in the dust.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Katana_Strikes said:
That's the problem though, anyone just going into Online who hasn't progressed in the Single player won't stand much of a chance. You really have to have cars unlocked and know the tracks if you want to rise up the ranks. Otherwise you'll be moving up and down ranks by a few places and getting nowhere. Bit of a frustrating experience.

I rarely use Powerplays though Online (heh, when you're first all the time there's no one to use them on ;))... generally keep them to open shortcuts or for emergancys. Getting a good start to the race and driving well means you'll leave a lot of players in the dust.

Yup it's all about what lap you are, where you are and how many powerplays you have available. Definitely situational (especially in deciding when/when not to use them for shortcuts). The thing about powerplays even single ones is that you want to use your lvl 1's in areas where they are a few close together. As already pointed out pro's will dodge that stupid garbage truck backing out easily, but the garbage truck followed by the explosion might catch some folks... then there are other solo spots (like blowing the train car off the track, or those thing road bus/truck toss/explosions) that are guarantee to regularly catch ppl.

But I agree don't bother going online til you finish the game. Once you do, you are in for a tons of fun. I've gone back and forth with some folks them catching me with lvl 2's, outracing lvl 2's, power sliding past someone right at the finish line, great stuff, and this is coming from someone who NEVER plays online games.

crispyben

Played online races for two hours, went up 25 ranks... I wreck myself more often than the others do :lol I guess Platinum is only a matter of time now, which I have only so much of... And then Joe Danger will steal my heart :D

dankir

Yeah I played it for a few hours yesterday after buying it just outta the blue.

Very very cool game, love the insanity taking place on the track.

Thumbs up!

Hey guys, I got sent 2 codes from Game.co.uk for the Xbox360 version of the game (i've never bought a 360 game from them before...) its a car and a track apparently, if anyone wants the codes shoot me a PM.

Finished the game today with ALL Golds in the Season mode. Overall I'd say Season 5 was the hardest, with 7-11 being incredibly easy. Only a couple of races (the last Air Revenge was tricky) in Chapter 12 were hard.

Now I have a few things to do:
- The two Time Trial trophies
- A trophy for getting past five trucks in Survival Mode. This is VERY hard or I am doing it wrong!
- Play online. Not touched it yet.

Does anyone have tips on the air strike/revenges where there is a solid wall of missiles? I can't not get hit, and I'm stuck at 2nd/3rd place for a lot of them. Faster car? Bigger truck? It's annoying me.

Do you have a car called the Slipstream? I found that very helpful at the end of the game, even though its a car you get probably around halfway.

It's important on the Air Revenge to save the attack until you have all three bars full, they do much more damage than the two single attacks. Also, keep drifting as much as you can as that fills the bars up.

There is usually a route through the wall of missiles, you just have to learn the patterns.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
allegate said:
Does anyone have tips on the air strike/revenges where there is a solid wall of missiles? I can't not get hit, and I'm stuck at 2nd/3rd place for a lot of them. Faster car? Bigger truck? It's annoying me.

2 tips. Pick a car with good strength, great strength isn't need just good enough strength to deal with shockwaves...

Secondly don't look where the first and second missiles are going to hit, look further down the track and use your peripheral vision to see the early shots... there's going to be a path through the shots either a straight line through the middle or on the sides (or a combination) but you need to be looking at where the end missiles hit and chart your path through it that way... if that makes any sense.

I don't have that car, but I think I'm close to getting it. Thanks for the advice, I'll try that out next time I play.

Had an amazing race today: I was in 7th place on the first reactor track with just that last 180 degree turn to go until the finish. I almost gave up, but then I hit that last shortcut that takes you through the turn instead of around it and drifted through it to get one last bar and hit the pipes right before the end to wreck the first place car and suddenly I was in first place. This all happened in the span of about 5-7 seconds too. I went from "oh well, try again" to "holy shit"

allegate said:

Slow down and dodge. However, the stupid helicopter will change one of the target locations if you slow down a bit too much .

crispyben

Up to rank 24 now, but the game is acting weird... I'm sitting in a lobby, and everybody gets into a race but me, I wait for them to finish, and then rinse & repeat. I quit the lobby, go back to matchmaking, and get dumped into the same lobby. Will I get to race? Who knows!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
allegate said:
I don't have that car, but I think I'm close to getting it. Thanks for the advice, I'll try that out next time I play.

Had an amazing race today: I was in 7th place on the first reactor track with just that last 180 degree turn to go until the finish. I almost gave up, but then I hit that last shortcut that takes you through the turn instead of around it and drifted through it to get one last bar and hit the pipes right before the end to wreck the first place car and suddenly I was in first place. This all happened in the span of about 5-7 seconds too. I went from "oh well, try again" to "holy shit"

I got the 'zero to hero' trophy, was in 8th place and triggered a level 2 (cooling tower) and fucked everyone up so I was in first place and won the race.

any tips for sharp corners? I think thats where I'm losing time on my detonator levels - do you brake and drive round? Drift?

edit: oh, and how is split screen multiplayer? Am considering a more 'serious' racer to play with my son (nearly 9), and this could be an option, or how about blur (haven't played that yet)

also looking forward to 'gas' if it ever comes out (Mashed spiritual sequel)

crispyben

mrklaw said:
I got the 'zero to hero' trophy, was in 8th place and triggered a level 2 (cooling tower) and fucked everyone up so I was in first place and won the race.
Feels good, man :D

mrklaw said:
any tips for sharp corners? I think thats where I'm losing time on my detonator levels - do you brake and drive round? Drift?
It depends on the car and on the track... The Youtube videos are a really nice indicator of the driving style required for the requisite combination. I think I drove the Detonators more like a sim, i.e. easing off the throttle to take some turns. Of course, online all I do is drift and wreck, but I got my (sixth) Platinum.

Starting playing online tonight and it's rather basic in what is available. It also has the annoying ranking system which you lose points if you lose a race. I get that, I really do, but I also find that frustrating simply because I don't think a game like Split/Second should feature such a cruel system. What is wrong with the PGR2 system where it was more like an attendance rating which simply increased based on position, and how you raced? I know PGR2 is super old now, but we all know it shit's all over the awful '3 and '4 :D

Anyway, its fun online, and I got to rank 73 after about an hours play. I think if you can get ahead and drive well you'll typically win lots whilst everyone else is fighting each other in the background.

Back to the online comments:
- The lobby is very basic, you can't spectate or even view a map with icons driving around whilst waiting for the race to finish, you just get a percentage complete bar.
- There is no game list to join, it just finds you one once you have selected the mode you want. I've entered in-progress games lots of times and its annoying. This is 2010 ffs
- There are no kick options
- Online code in general is flakey as fuck and voice chat is AWFUL

FatBaby

Finished up the game with all gold last night.

I hope the ending means that there will be a "Split/Second Season 2" or something. Not too sure if I'd want paid DLC though, I mean in terms of splitting up the online community or something

I am so damn close to my very first Platinum. I think all I need is the Beat the Team II, the one where you need to overtake 5 trucks in sudden death, the wreak rivals with the boat slide, the 1,081 miles driven and the 1,000 rivals wreaked.

Beat the Team I is probably going to be the biggest pain in the ass though, but I must have that Platinum! :)

parasight

Online just isn't as fun as I thought it would be. Very few power plays, and big gaps in-between groups of racers. I guess that has to do with car rating disparity.

parasight said:
Online just isn't as fun as I thought it would be. Very few power plays, and big gaps in-between groups of racers. I guess that has to do with car rating disparity.

Oh yeah, that's another thing. Why THE FUCK isn't there a car class filter system in the game? It's so badly designed I don't know why they bothered.

Dahbomb

Anyone got any tips for the Ryback Cyclone RS Detonation challenge at power plant? It's the only one I need to get all 1st.

Like for example at sharp turns am I supposed to lower my speed and make a cut or just do a drift turn. The car they give you is really shitty for a map with so many cuts, it goes out of control so easily making you lose precious seconds. I saw the youtube video and the guy does drift turns in a couple of cuts and just hugs the corners at a lower speed. I am surprised he was able to do that mission without hitting a wall once... and still he barely made it (like 60 microseconds short).

Dahbomb said:
Anyone got any tips for the Ryback Cyclone RS Detonation challenge at power plant? It's the only one I need to get all 1st.

Like for example at sharp turns am I supposed to lower my speed and make a cut or just do a drift turn. The car they give you is really shitty for a map with so many cuts, it goes out of control so easily making you lose precious seconds. I saw the youtube video and the guy does drift turns in a couple of cuts and just hugs the corners at a lower speed. I am surprised he was able to do that mission without hitting a wall once... and still he barely made it (like 60 microseconds short).

My strategy was the same for every track and that was just to let off the gas slightly to make sharp turns. You never need to brake and drifting is a major mistake because it eats up time very quickly. Because of that you want to avoid being caught in any explosion that causes your car to lose grip. That track probably took me 10 times before I got it right due to either accidentally drifting or being caught in an explosion.

Top Bottom