• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

Just started playing this and so far it's quite fun but no 360 controller support for PC as far as I can tell? What the hell? K+M is superior for many things, but not racing games. :(

1920x1080, Very High:
ss1jpoj.jpg

ss25p0t.jpg

5850, 955BE, 4GB RAM. Solid 30fps, and it looks even better in motion!

I can see myself tiring of it quickly, but it'll be a fun ride when it lasts. The Bombcast is what really sold me on trying it out. :)

I've only done quick races so far, though, so I'll dig in to career tomorrow and see how that is. I'm interested in trying out all of the different modes.

panda21

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just started playing this and so far it's quite fun but no 360 controller support for PC as far as I can tell?

it does. maybe you have to turn it on in the options or something? its definitely in there though. doesn't swap out the button labels though :S

Wag

panda21 said:
it does. maybe you have to turn it on in the options or something? its definitely in there though. doesn't swap out the button labels though :S
360 pad works fine in the PC demo for me, how do you access the options though?

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just started playing this and so far it's quite fun but no 360 controller support for PC as far as I can tell? What the hell? K+M is superior for many things, but not racing games. :(

I'm using a Dualshock 3 working with a Xbox 360 controller emulator and it works fine, so standard controller should work as well.

Ogs said:
360 pad has to be plugged in/turned on if wireless prior to launching the game :)
Ahh. A rookie mistake. :p

Thanks for correcting me, guys. The ability to use an analogue stick has instantly added a few more hours to the time I spend with thie game. :lol

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Foliorum Viridum said:

1920x1080, Very High:

5850, 955BE, 4GB RAM. Solid 30fps, and it looks even better in motion!

I can see myself tiring of it quickly, but it'll be a fun ride when it lasts. The Bombcast is what really sold me on trying it out. :)

I've only done quick races so far, though, so I'll dig in to career tomorrow and see how that is. I'm interested in trying out all of the different modes.

I envy you... GTX 470 with 8gb of ram in my machine but can't play the game on any resolution at high or very high. Must be the CPU like I've thought, you also have a strong CPU.

Wag

panda21 said:
maybe you can't in the demo, its just an entry in the main menu
If there are no config options in the demo it would be lame because it definitely looks wrong on my display.

bee

Thunderbear said:
I envy you... GTX 470 with 8gb of ram in my machine but can't play the game on any resolution at high or very high. Must be the CPU like I've thought, you also have a strong CPU.

must be, never drops from 30fps (ewwwwwww) for me on very high with a gtx 480

ZeMMiK

for the money you al spend on graphic cards you can buy 2 xboxses ":)
why not buy one and hook up on your monitor? at least you can play and enjoy instead of looking at fps and other troubles....

bee

ZeMMiK said:
why not buy one and hook up on your monitor? at least you can play and enjoy instead of looking at fps and other troubles....

oh man someone will be silly/drunk enough to bite i'm sure,not me though, why do u care?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ZeMMiK said:
You can't play Xbox unless you're on a comfy couch. Duh.

ZeoVGM

Banned
xSL4INx said:
Ok, after about 4 hours of play and getting up to Episode 6 of the career mode, I've decided the game isn't worth the frustration that it's becoming. The rubberband AI is simply awful in this game. I'll give it that it's fun and flashy, but the fact that I can be 3 seconds ahead in first, then after nudging a corner from not taking the absolute perfect line possible in a turn and drop to being behind in 4th place and 9 seconds behind is just plain ridiculous.

I liked the game for what I got out of it, but it's turning into the same problem that PURE had with its rubberband AI, and I simply don't have the time or patience to sit with this game racing the same monotonous race to earn enough credits to get a car that still isn't fast enough to overtake the AI. Burnout Paradise is still the king of fast pace racing this generation.

The rubberband AI is nowhere near that bad. Yes, you can fall behind fast but it's really only if you screw up. You don't need to take the "absolute perfect line". You got to episode 6 in 4 hours so obviously it's not giving you that hard of a time.

I don't get the Paradise love, to be honest. A massive disappointment.

TheFreshPrince said:
Does anyone feel that you actually do better when you just drive straight?

I feel like drifting and drafting and going for power/explosions hurts my driving....it's almost easier to just drive as if none of that existed.

Thoughts?
Having just put the game in and not completing a single elimination until I stopped drifting, I have to agree with you. Wth kind of racing game that requires you to drift to gain powerups makes drifting suck?

edit: so after being one of the top posters in the Burnout Paradise thread you start this one. :lol nice.

beast786 said:
Lets just put it this way. It did not end well :lol

http://i.imagehost.org/0114/SplitSecond_2010-05-21_23-07-37-93.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imagehost.org/0515/SplitSecond_2010-05-21_17-04-27-65.jpg[/QUOTE]

lol youre in the wrong place for that airplane in trying to do a detonator. I hate how sometimes the shockwaves will pull you into the middle of the airplane or one of its engines causing a crash :(

allegate said:
Having just put the game in and not completing a single elimination until I stopped drifting, I have to agree with you. Wth kind of racing game that requires you to drift to gain powerups makes drifting suck?

Once you get farther into the game you're going to have to learn how to drift and how draft. There's no other way to win as you're going to need your Power Play bar filled. But drifting really isn't difficult. The main thing to remember is that you need to feather the gas rather than hold it down. The drifts are easy to control like that and you'll keep your speed up.

I'm sure that as I get further along - more experience and more cars - the game will open up for me.

Just finished a race where I wrecked within sight of the finish line. I'm not even sure what I ran into, because it wasn't one of the "wrecked by" wrecks. I just hit something.

GitarooMan said:
True, the actual problem is that they don't allow for car class limits in multiplayer which would even things out considerably.

Yeah, this is actually the problem and not the car unlock dlc.

Just beat the game in first place in every episode. I've got to say that i'm surprised that
the game has an actual ending. They set up the sequel with it surprisingly enough.

Anyway, Black Rock is definitely one of the best arcade racing game devs around at the moment. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Haunted

Just saw a (well done) TV commercial for this during the run up to the Champions League final. Must've been pretty expensive.

crispyben

allegate said:
So after being one of the top posters in the Burnout Paradise thread you start this one. :lol nice.
THE top poster, in numbers at least :D No one volunteered for this thread, so I said I'd do it since I was getting the game. I'm in Switzerland for the week-end so I remain stuck in second place for the bonus Detonator event in episode 6, and RDR should have arrived by the time I get home...

chixdiggit

Just came today from Amazon. Any legal way to install the retail version so I don't have to have the disc in the drive to play? (PC version obviously).

So I'm really liking this game so far, and my friend and I played a fair amount of split screen multiplayer last night, and not once did we get the option to do a route changing power play even though we had enough power to do them.

Can you not do them in split screen? I'm looked through all the reviews I could find, and checked on the official site and barely any of them say anything about split screen multiplayer other than that it exists.

domlolz

Banned
I was looking forward to trying the pc version out but it looks fucking terrible because it doesn't want to run at any other resolution but 1280x1024 (yay squashed cars) and it's inability to recognise my 360 controller...awesome

beast786

domlolz said:
I was looking forward to trying the pc version out but it looks fucking terrible because it doesn't want to run at any other resolution but 1280x1024 (yay squashed cars) and it's inability to recognise my 360 controller...awesome

As per the controller. You need to have it hooked up and on prior to starting the game. I had same issue but after starting the controller prior to launching the game it works perfectly.

I am not sure what your resolution issue is... Mine is at 1080p at very high setting without any issues. The screen shots doesnt do justice to the game.

domlolz

Banned
beast786 said:
As per the controller. You need to have it hooked up and on prior to starting the game. I had same issue but after starting the controller prior to launching the game it works perfectly.

I am not sure what your resolution issue is... Mine is at 1080p at very high setting without any issues. The screen shots doesnt do justice to the game.

It's the demo...I should of mentioned that. And yep the controller has been plugged in all the time-I've took it out and put it back in, restarted and whatever.

Who's stupid idea was it to take out all the options?

it's only a demo and not really worth the fuss but yeah it's a bit crap

Spent most of today on this game (PS3 version) and I am finding it 90% awesome, 10% frustration. It's a cool game for sure with some spectacular stuff going on, but it has the ability to really piss you off when it gets hard because you often feel like you were cheated out of victory.

The sound is amazing and it looks nice (although the framerate takes a hammering at times on certain tracks) and the handling is good too, if a little unrefined compared to games such as Ridge and Burnout. Overall Split/Second is a solid racing game, off to play more in a minute :)

bee

doubt you could play this game at 60fps on very high, i get 25fps on very high with 3D vision enabled, unless there's more than the usual 50% ish framerate hit with 3D. pity the game is fucked in 3D with the shadows etc all at the wrong depth, if they patch it to fix 3D dirt 2 style then i'd buy it instantly

domlolz said:

I was really looking forward to this but the comments regarding poor performance with weak cpus (screws over both my main rig & my htpc as both have pretty standard dual cores) and the 360 controller issues etc. is really putting me off.

I'll have to give the demo a go and see. If it doesn't run well then I guess i'll be waiting to see how Blur holds up on the PC.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Just played the demo on PC and it was actually enjoyable. Rather easy though, second play through i won by 12 seconds :lol .

The drifting seems iffy and i've seen people in here mention that it slows you down, which makes me sad. No issues here with using a keyboard, it took me two laps to figure out it was Right shift and control, not the left for the destruction :lol

FatBaby

evlcookie said:
The drifting seems iffy and i've seen people in here mention that it slows you down, which makes me sad.

Yeah, its weird. Drifting, especially in the Elite races and online is a sure fire way to make sure you will lose. It's kind of a bummer since its the best way to gain power, but I guess it gives other people a chance to make you crash and catch up.

Has anyone else got a single row of purple pixels at the right side top of the screen? It only occurs during loading screens. It's a pixel in height and it flashes. I guess they thought it would be hidden in the overscan. I noticed it on the PS3 demo and its in the retail version too.

Anyone else seen it?

FatBaby

KennyLinder said:
Has anyone else got a single row of purple pixels at the right side top of the screen? It only occurs during loading screens. It's a pixel in height and it flashes. I guess they thought it would be hidden in the overscan. I noticed it on the PS3 demo and its in the retail version too.

Anyone else seen it?

Yeah, this happens to me.

Dedication Through Light said:
So Im in I guess Episode 10 and just let me say, Detonator truly is rubbish trying to get first place. Ive been doing it for 3+ hours and this is the closest Ive come, lol! Arggh

tumblr_l2s3t7joia1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Just beat it, this one actually requires drifting in order to get through those tight 90 degree turns.

Ceebs

I had been playing a bit of the PC version on high since I heard Very High trashes performance. I just jacked it up to Very high to check the visual difference and found that it runs at a buttery smooth 30fps on my comparatively modest system. (Phenom II X2 550, 1GB 4870, 4 GB RAM).

The AA really makes difference and caused the game to go from looking good to looking awesome. Lots of fun but I can see the AI throwing a wrench in the fun.

crispyben

Anyone know why the thread title was changed? I don't mind, but I'm surprised as it wasn't one of those lengthy ones

EDIT: nevermind, just saw it's all threads

Top Bottom