• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This analogy just doesn't work. The destiny is not the plot. The force is not the destiny. "Rey was more calm and once she was reminded the fact that she can use the plot, she used the plot to overpower Kylo who was too hurt both physically and mentally to be able to use the plot properly". Nope.

I think the force is rather a tool than a god. I don't agree that the force has a will of its own, because the whole "plot" of the Star Wars series is based on the struggle between the two sides of the force. With a will there won't be two sides. If the force has a will, there is no Star Wars.

She spends months on Jakku to repair a Ghtroc 690 freighter.
The destiny kind of is the plot when played completely straight (when the actual plot itself involves changing destiny it's obviously not).

In this first film it was played completely straight however. The force (e.g plot), determines the outcome of the battle. The fact the force (e.g plot0 guided her to victory is also pretty obvious.

it seems fairly strange that you've only now realised the force was a plot device in Star Wars movie (and an extremely strong one in this movie in particular).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The destiny kind of is the plot when played completely straight (when the actual plot itself involves changing destiny it's obviously not).

In this first film it was played completely straight however. The force (e.g plot), determines the outcome of the battle. The fact the force (e.g plot0 guided her to victory is also pretty obvious.

it seems fairly strange that you've only now realised the force was a plot device in Star Wars movie (and an extremely strong one in this movie in particular).

That's a stretch. The plot is built around the force, but the force being the plot itself is a bit way too philosophical.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's a stretch. The plot is built around the force, but the force being the plot itself is a bit way too philosophical.

The force has always been in part a plot device, and talking of the force of "an active player" is basically indistinguishable from the destiny trope played completely straight.

So is snoke a sith or his own evil thing?

I don't think anyone mentioned the word sith once

Also losing the said hands seems to be genetic and that's why I hope Rey isn't a Skywalker, she has nice hands.

Surely fake hand tech has come along in the 30 years to make something skin coloured.

Or maybe they turn the idea upside down and she loses a leg?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The force has always been in part a plot device, and talking of the force of "an active player" is basically indistinguishable from the destiny trope played completely straight.

A plot device, yes. But I see it more like a "passive player". The device used by the active players to drive the plot forward. The force being an active player would mean the action of the other players are useless in driving the plot, seeing how powerful the force is. So, human struggles, mind training, all of these become practically useless, because everything is driven by the will of the force. That would make the force a god instead of the godly power who can make humans gods under certain conditions.

Surely fake hand tech has come along in the 30 years to make something skin coloured.

Obviously not far enough, seeing Luke's hand.

tumblr_nzvxc51nlm1v2w3lfo1_500.gif

Come on dude. Look at this. Poe is thirsty for that Chocolate.

Not only that but the context of that gif was Poe telling Finn to keep his jacket because it looked good on him, :p

Chase17

The real hero of the movie is that one random stormtrooper who kicked Finn's ass.
He's the only competent enemy stormtrooper in the entire saga. The rest of them can't hit you with a blaster even if they stood next to you.
TRAITOR!

The best storm trooper.

Drencrom

After thinking about the movie for awhile I must say the film is at least a pretty competent action film and that it was very enjoyable overall.

I do must say that the film being essentially a beat by beat retread of "A New Hope" is a big disappointment to me and is hands down my biggest gripe with the film. I really hope the sequels do their own thing storywise without resorting to "it's like poetry, it rhymes" story beats and expands the Star Wars lore and character arcs more in new and refreshing ways.

starkiller_base-1024x429.jpg

Trying to understand this bit.

Now, I know this is Star Wars and super weapons and plasma swords are the lore.

However, I'm a bit perplexed by how the beam got to Hosnian Prime so fast.

Here it looks like Kylo is able to watch the beam from a stationary Star Destroyer outside Star Killer Base's orbit.

If the beam travelled at hyperlight speeds, it should be impossible to see it, correct?

Also, the movie did a piss poor job of explaining if the Base jumped to hyperspace and moved closer to the Hosnian system. I have to assume that's what it does otherwise, it would have only 1 star to swallow and that's it.

Teletraan1

Banned

Luke had a fully realized fake hand that looked real at the end of Empire. It was damaged on Jabba's sail barge when some jabroni that was standing right next to him manage to shoot his hand above his head.. He has also spent years in isolation without medical droids. It is probably easier maintenance wise to have a fully metal hand than have one that is purely aesthetic in nature. So the technology is there to make fake limbs that behave as real ones but probably like anything require some sort of maintenance.

Drencrom

Luke had a fully realized fake hand that looked real at the end of Empire. It was damaged on Jabba's sail barge when some jabroni that was standing right next to him manage to shoot his hand above his head.. He has also spent years in isolation without medical droids. It is probably easier maintenance wise to have a fully metal hand than have one that is purely aesthetic in nature. So the technology is there to make fake limbs that behave as real ones but probably like anything require some sort of maintenance.

Yeah, Luke most likely don't care about having an aesthetically realistic looking hand.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Here it looks like Kylo is able to watch the beam from a stationary Star Destroyer outside Star Killer Base's orbit.

If the beam travelled at hyperlight speeds, it should be impossible to see it, correct?

Also, the movie did a piss poor job of explaining if the Base jumped to hyperspace and moved closer to the Hosnian system. I have to assume that's what it does otherwise, it would have only 1 star to swallow and that's it.

From the novelization it moves through space rather than across.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The real hero of the movie is that one random stormtrooper who kicked Finn's ass.
He's the only competent enemy stormtrooper in the entire saga. The rest of them can't hit you with a blaster even if they stood next to you.

seriously that was so random. why wasn't that phasma lol...her role was nothing after all the advertising hype.

Guy.brush

Starkiller base is just a perplexing construct.
If you can install a (hyper)drive into a planet, you would have all kinds of artifical star systems across the galaxy. A cold desert planet? Just move it closer to its sun!
Also what happens to starkiller base's flora, fauna and atmosphere when it travels through (hyper)space? All those trees would be killed instantly by lack of sun.
The thing really feels inline with transwarp-beaming, communicating across the galaxy and other shit JJ did with StarTrek. Sure StarWars is way more fantasy than it is sci-fi but starkiller base is just a dumb idea no matter if fantasy or sci-fi.

Drencrom

This!

We need more competent, badass troopers like him. Getting really tired of only seeing useless and non-threating stromtroopers and grunts throughout the SW saga.

Lach

I don't think we have a clear source on this. My interpretation is that it's not mobile and stays in its solar system. It does not completly deplete the star. The star recovers after some time and it shoots at solar systems far away. Of course that means that for your question on about how kylo (and Han & Co) can watch it slowly travel while it has to move at FTL speed, there isn't an answer that makes sense in terms of physics. But to me the answer "It's Star Wars" is enough.

You know, I've never been a big Star Wars fan and this movie pretty much cemented why I'll never be a big Star Wars fan. I have to jump through way too many suspensions of disbelief for my liking of the series. The planet sized death star, Rey going from scavenger to Force master in a few scenes - which I'm sure they'll explain in the future movies and the use of the Force as a plot device.

I think it's cool that it's such a huge cultural phenomenon but it's going to be one that I will never understand.

Guy.brush

I don't think we have a clear source on this. My interpretation is that it's not mobile and stays in its solar system. It does not completly deplete the star. The star recovers after some time and it shoots at solar systems far away. Of course that means that for your question on about how kylo (and Han & Co) can watch it slowly travel while it has to move at FTL speed, there isn't an answer that makes sense in terms of physics. But to me the answer "It's Star Wars" is enough.

It would have been so much easier to digest if TFA had Kylo's stardestroyer Finalizer with a specially equipped weapon that can shoot at a sun and then it goes supernova or becomes a Red Giant, engulfing its orbiting worlds. Then the endbattle would have been around this one literal STARDESTROYER and not been so typical sequel hyperbolic. They could even have played it as a extortion device the First Order uses on worlds. We haven't really seen a properly structured space battle centered around one capship. It would have been easily enough as a climax and would have left room for EPVIII and IX to come up with bigger threats. It feels like they wrote themselves into a corner there. How much bigger can they go from a multi-planet destroying giant planet sized superweapon? (that shoots through hyperspace?!)

Teletraan1

Banned
This!

We need more competent, badass troopers like him. Getting really tired of only seeing useless and non-threating stromtroopers and grunts throughout the SW saga.

I suffered through the prequel trilogy before seeing this movie (it is my lot in life) and I was kinda irked how the Jedi in the prequels had no regard for the Clones in the clone army. The only one who even has a passing interest in saving one is Anakin and he is instructed not to. I think having huge battles of droids vs cannon fodder really took any thrill out of those battles. I think ditching the clones does allow them add a little bit more personality to the grunt stormtroopers. Which was welcome.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You can't tease me like that! Why does she have a problem with hand-holding?

She has a problem with trusting people. Most of the scavengers on Jakku worked in teams, to be more efficient, but she was working on her own and thus making her life more difficult because of these trust issues. So she's used to solve the issues by herself.

Not only that, but she has an even bigger problem with thieves.

Combine that with the way she met Finn makes her reaction very logical.

Edit: yeah, also the vision , but I don't think she remembers that when she meets Finn. Maybe just something stuck in her subconscious?

I suffered through the prequel trilogy before seeing this movie (it is my lot in life) and I was kinda irked how the Jedi in the prequels had no regard for the Clones in the clone army. The only one who even has a passing interest in saving one is Anakin and he is instructed not to. I think having huge battles of droids vs cannon fodder really took any thrill out of those battles. I think ditching the clones does allow them add a little bit more personality to the grunt stormtroopers. Which was welcome.
You'd probably enjoy the Clone Wars. A lot of it is based around the relationship between the clones and the Jedi. The clones actually have personalities too.

sphagnum

Banned
So is snoke a sith or his own evil thing?

I don't think anyone mentioned the word sith once

Maz mentions the Sith when she describes the evil through the ages (the Sith, the Empire, now the First Order).

Snoke is not a Sith. The Sith were destroyed by Anakin in RotJ when he purged Vader from himself and killed Palpatine. The Sith are a particular dark side cult, so you can be a dark side user without being a Sith. Nobody really knows what his story is yet.

Starkiller Base is a straight up mess, story-wise. Nothing about it makes sense. It is implied that it can move though, or else it'd only be able to fire once. And it fires its beam through hyper-space. Which I suppose is the only explanation for how it's visible across the galaxy.

Lach

I wouldn't judge her just on this movie. This is a trilogy after all. We have two more movies to see what she can do.

I was thinking about Phasma. I hope we'll learn that she was discharged after fucking up big time (her lowering the shield is what made the destruction possible). Maybe they even wanted to execute her but she get away. After that she has nothing more to live for and goes on a journey of vengeance after Finn.

Teletraan1

Banned
You'd probably enjoy the Clone Wars. A lot of it is based around the relationship between the clones and the Jedi. The clones actually have personalities too.

I had avoided that since the prequel movies burnt me out on those clones and the franchise in general. This franchise was a huge part of my childhood, I even remember going to see empire when it first came out in theaters. (I am old) I will probably check it out now that this new movie has rejuvenated my love of Star Wars.

Teletraan1

Banned
I was thinking about Phasma. I hope we'll learn that she was discharged after fucking up big time (her lowering the shield is what made the destruction possible). Maybe they even wanted to execute her but she get away. After that she has nothing more to live for and goes on a journey of vengeance after Finn.

I think that she was referenced as this series Boba Fett by a member of the production staff. Won't play a huge central role but will have a story thread that goes through the entire trilogy.

She has a problem with trusting people. Most of the scavengers on Jakku worked in teams, to be more efficient, but she was working on her own and thus making her life more difficult because of these trust issues. So she's used to solve the issues by herself.

Not only that, but she has an even bigger problem with thieves.

Combine that with the way she met Finn makes her reaction very logical.

Edit: yeah, also the vision , but I don't think she remembers that when she meets Finn. Maybe just something stuck in her subconscious?
Probably, yeah. And all that info is awesome. You can definitely tell in the film that she has trust issues. When she first meets Finn and BB8, she often acts indignant towards them, like how they should know stuff they possibly can't.

To BB8, "Don't follow me! Town is that way!"
To Finn on the Falcon, "I got to get back to Jakku."

Like, duh!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Probably, yeah. And all that info is awesome. You can definitely tell in the film that she has trust issues. When she first meets Finn and BB8, she often acts indignant towards them, like how they should know stuff they possibly can't.

To BB8, "Don't follow me! Town is that way!"
To Finn on the Falcon, "I got to get back to Jakku."

Like, duh!

I'm now at a part in the story where I assume some people who followed her around are going to steal the ship that she was working on for months. So, that adds to the trust issues.

My only question would be, is Hux actually trying to embarrass Ren or is it just that every time he has a conference call with the Emperor Kylo's straight fucked things up again and he's left thinking, "How much longer are you going to make me put up with this asshat and his temper tantrums? I'm running out of rooms full of space monitors for him to fuck up."

Couldn't have said it better myself. I like how the movie shows Kylo being out of control quite a bit. I am guessing that the next movie shows a calm and calculated killer. Hex will get his in the next movie.

Alx

Wasn't Luke's prosthetic covered in skin-like material at the end of Episode 5 ? I think the metal aspect is just a fashion statement (also looks cooler on-screen, while the "flesh-like prosthetic" was convenient for Ep 6).

Snoke is not a Sith. The Sith were destroyed by Anakin in RotJ when he purged Vader from himself and killed Palpatine. The Sith are a particular dark side cult, so you can be a dark side user without being a Sith. Nobody really knows what his story is yet.

Considering how big his hologram is, I expect real Snoke to be tiny. Maybe he's from the same species as Yoda. :)
Also what kind of name is Snoke for a villain ? Sure the trend of having obvious "Darth Badguyous" names was ridiculous, but they didn't have to counter it with the extreme opposite.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I really hope they recast Kylo Ren in the next two movies. The casting for the rest of the characters is so spot on, so it makes it stand out even more how they botched the villain. Adam Driver's acting is Hayden Christensen level bad, but at least Hayden had good looks to soften the blow a bit. It's not a good sign when people in the theater giggle when Ren pulls off his mask for the first time. Yikes.

Worst casting decision since Mark Ruffalo took over as the Hulk.

Clearly she isn't useless in TFA. We don't know how they are going to handle her. They will explain how she became a captain and what happened to her in the next movie. Don't worry about it

prag16

Banned
The end of this movie was weird.

Despite having their base destroyed, the Order essentially succeeded in their primary goal. The Resistance/Rebels/Republic just had decades of work wiped away and it wasn't really touched on at all.

Of course things would be in disarray, but I think a lot of people are overstating this. Turning D.C. into a hole in the ground doesn't mean the U.S. is "wiped away", for example.

I don't think it automatically trivializes the end of ROTJ or the following decades. But it does put the galaxy in a very interesting state,and they can go a lot of directions.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I really hope they recast Kylo Ren in the next two movies. The casting for the rest of the characters is so spot on, so it makes it stand out even more how they botched the villain. Adam Driver's acting is Hayden Christensen level bad, but at least Hayden had good looks to soften the blow a bit. It's not a good sign when people in the theater giggle when Ren pulls off his mask for the first time. Yikes.

futurama_fry_looking_squint.jpg

FloatOn

wtf I can't tell if you are serious

both Ruffalo and Driver killed it in their roles.

Kylo is everything Anakin should have been. Adam Driver nailed the whole conflicted and angry bad guy thing without coming off like a whiny bitch which Hayden Christensen was 100% the entire time.

Lagamorph

Just got back from seeing this and, whilst I enjoyed it overall (my jaw even dropped at the Han Solo death scene), I felt that the end was a rather badly written rush job.
Setting aside Finn (best character in the film) getting sidelined and going ahead a little, we had,

Death Star 3 Weapon Planet exploding, the Resistance heading back to their base planet, Finn being offloaded, R2-D2 waking up for no reason other than it being convenient to the plot and just happening to have a map of exactly where Luke was going that, for some reason, also happened to be in the Imperial archives, then Rey and Chewie fly off there with barely any hesitation, then you see Luke, then it's over.

Did they just run out of time for the end of the film? Or could they just not work out a decent way to end it and went with whatever?

Top Bottom