• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Wasn't Luke's prosthetic covered in skin-like material at the end of Episode 5 ? I think the metal aspect is just a fashion statement (also looks cooler on-screen, while the "flesh-like prosthetic" was convenient for Ep 6).

Considering how big his hologram is, I expect real Snoke to be tiny. Maybe he's from the same species as Yoda. :)
Also what kind of name is Snoke for a villain ? Sure the trend of having obvious "Darth Badguyous" names was ridiculous, but they didn't have to counter it with the extreme opposite.

it got damaged in E6 during the attack on Jabba. It's why he wore the MJ glove.

30 years no upkeep... skin probably deteriorated

PopeReal

I really hope they recast Kylo Ren in the next two movies. The casting for the rest of the characters is so spot on, so it makes it stand out even more how they botched the villain. Adam Driver's acting is Hayden Christensen level bad, but at least Hayden had good looks to soften the blow a bit. It's not a good sign when people in the theater giggle when Ren pulls off his mask for the first time. Yikes.

Worst casting decision since Mark Ruffalo took over as the Hulk.

I think you watched a different movie. ;)

Either way they are not recasting him. I honestly don't know why you would even hope that. It is a waste of your hope.

Anyway Diver was awesome. If his looks bother you I don't know what to say. But I really feel that you don't understand what bad acting is. I guess it doesn't matter.

Knoxcore

I really hope they recast Kylo Ren in the next two movies. The casting for the rest of the characters is so spot on, so it makes it stand out even more how they botched the villain. Adam Driver's acting is Hayden Christensen level bad, but at least Hayden had good looks to soften the blow a bit. It's not a good sign when people in the theater giggle when Ren pulls off his mask for the first time. Yikes.

This is a joke right? Please tell me it's a joke. Please...

Ahhh don't know about that one. Acting-wise Driver was considerably better than Hayden, granted he also had much better material to work with. I don't know an actor alive that could make some of Anakin's dialogue sound convincing. Looks-wise, yeah he does have almost a certain 'goofiness' to his features, but I think they wanted the deliberate contrast between his face and his masked appearance.

And worst casting decision since Ruffalo as Hulk? Wow, I mean opinions and all, but damn....

Just got back from seeing this and, whilst I enjoyed it overall (my jaw even dropped at the Han Solo death scene), I felt that the end was a rather badly written rush job.

Had a second viewing yesterday, definitely enjoyed it more than the first time as I was paying more attention to the plot nuances instead of the spectacle of seeing Star Wars on the big screen again. As for the ending, I did note( and I felt this way the first time) that Poe's maneuvers at the end, leading to the destruction of the base, didn't have quite the same tension that you felt with Luke's climatic trench run in A New Hope. Just that sequence overall didn't have the same weight as the original trench run. But, I think they flipped the script there, meaning in A New Hope the death star attack was the main event, with the saber battle taking overall second billing. In TFA, the base attack seemed to be just a backdrop to the main even being the duel between Kylo and Rey/Finn.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
wtf I can't tell if you are serious

both Ruffalo and Driver killed it in their roles.

Kylo is everything Anakin should have been. Adam Driver nailed the whole conflicted and angry bad guy thing without coming off like a whiny bitch which Hayden Christensen was 100% the entire time.

cJLYltg.gif

That's EXACTLY how Kylo Ren came across. Whiny and annoying with zero likeable qualities.

Episode VII was better than the OT, but the villains in the OT (Vader, Palps) are far superior.

I think you watched a different movie. ;)

Either way they are not recasting him. I honestly don't know why you would even hope that. It is a waste of your hope.

Anyway Diver was awesome. If his looks bother you I don't know what to say. But I really feel that you don't understand what bad acting is. I guess it doesn't matter.

GStIX0K.gif

Sure I do. Good acting = Charlize Theron in Mad Max: Fury Road. Bad acting = whatever the hell Adam Driver was doing in Episode VII. I'd trade Captain Phasma for him in the next film tbqh.

It's time Star Wars gets a strong, female villain and Brienne of Tarth could have been it smh. A missed opportunity.

Skinpop

just came back from seeing it.

it's a carbon copy of A New Hope - with lots of fan service.
It's a movie made by a coward who doesn't know how to do anything but imitate others. jj Abrams is the definition of mediocre and safe. even Lucas excites me more because while he might be awful at dialogue and writing he is still a brave director who tries to do new stuff.

it's a well made copy though and I like the cast well enough, but still its existence is pointless.

some plot issues: Finn's backstory ruins the storm troopers for me. the fact that he is killing them in the movie is like the saddest thing ever.

rey: becomes a world class pro at anything after five minutes of practice. I'm sure fans will defend this crap saying we might get an explanation in future movies but it just doesn't work, it's bad writing end of story. even worse, it makes me dislike her as a character(always easier to sympathize with an underdog).

While the Rey Kenobi theory is a neat one, I think it's pretty clear at this point that Rey is connected to Anakin Skywalker, be it biologically or spiritually. John Williams has already given that much away in his composition for Rey's Theme. It's got nods all over to the Imperial March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlWC2KWtjJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecyzyct4OAc

If Rey somehow isn't Luke's daughter, then the only real option I can think of would be that she's like the Avatar Korra to Anakin's (corrupted) Avatar Aang or something.

Iceternal

Ahhh don't know about that one. Acting-wise Driver was considerably better than Hayden, granted he also had much better material to work with. I don't know an actor alive that could make some of Anakin's dialogue sound convincing. Looks-wise, yeah he does have almost a certain 'goofiness' to his features, but I think they wanted the deliberate contrast between his face and his masked appearance.

And worst casting decision since Ruffalo as Hulk? Wow, I mean opinions and all, but damn....

He has a point though, many people laughed when he removed his mask ...

I'm not sure it was intended and Disney might've screwed up a little.

Though Driver put up a great performance...

But I'm afraid that the crowd's bad reaction is going to cause Disney to back down and put Kylo to the background, I hope not though.

Lagamorph

Had a second viewing yesterday, definitely enjoyed it more than the first time as I was paying more attention to the plot nuances instead of the spectacle of seeing Star Wars on the big screen again. As for the ending, I did note( and I felt this way the first time) that Poe's maneuvers at the end, leading to the destruction of the base, didn't have quite the same tension that you felt with Luke's climatic trench run in A New Hope. Just that sequence overall didn't have the same weight as the original trench run. But, I think they flipped the script there, meaning in A New Hope the death star attack was the main event, with the saber battle taking overall second billing. In TFA, the base attack seemed to be just a backdrop to the main even being the duel between Kylo and Rey/Finn.

Thing is, it was everything after that point that felt like a rush. You basically just got bombarded with plot points. Everything after the planet exploded felt like they lost the script and were filming from a fanfic written by the writers 10 year old child. "And then they went back to the planet and then R2-D2 woke up and then they had the whole map and then they went to find Luke and then they found Luke The End"

Finn's backstory ruins the storm troopers for me. the fact that he is killing them in the movie is like the saddest thing ever.

That's an interesting take, care to expand on that? I thought Finn overcoming his training was an interesting plotpoint, not sure how it ruins stormtroopers or how him killing them is sad.

Sure I do. Good acting = Charlize Theron in Mad Max: Fury Road. Bad acting = whatever the hell Adam Driver was doing in Episode VII. I'd trade Captain Phasma for him in the next film tbqh.

It's time Star Wars gets a strong, female villain and Brienne of Tarth could have been it smh. A missed opportunity.

Sorry man but you don't. His acting was excellent.

That's an interesting take, care to expand on that? I thought Finn overcoming his training was an interesting plotpoint, not sure how it ruins stormtroopers or how him killing them is sad.

Stormtrooper are impressed into service from birth. So killing them is killing unwilling participants.

Boke1879

cJLYltg.gif

That's EXACTLY how Kylo Ren came across. Whiny and annoying with zero likeable qualities.

Episode VII was better than the OT, but the villains in the OT (Vader, Palps) are far superior.

GStIX0K.gif

Phasma is at this point nothing but a Chrome Stormtrooper she was never going to be "The Big Bad"

And Adam Driver killed it as Ren. He wasn't a whiny bitch like Anakin. He made the role believable. Conflicted, emotional, and unstable. .

Ren comes off as better than he is, but is afraid he'll never live up the Vader's legacy and Driver totally nailed that point home. Excellent casting and acting.

But I'm afraid that the crowd's bad reaction is going to cause Disney to back down and put Kylo to the background, I hope not though.

Oh don't get me wrong, I kinda of like 'wha' when he removed his mask too. But then I recall that I had seen the actor's face several months prior, but he had a beard going on. I wasn't expecting the mask to come off, at least this early in the trilogy anyway.

I think the facial scar was a deliberate choice to give him a more sinister look going forward. I think the mask blew up with the planet, so at the very least we know for sure he will have a new look in the next movie(s).

Alx

That's EXACTLY how Kylo Ren came across. Whiny and annoying with zero likeable qualities.[/QUOTE]

That's also what makes him interesting IMO. Everybody complains that TFA is a carbon copy of ANH, but at least the "villain" is not just another Vader. The fact that Ren is an angsty teen is probably the part of the movie I liked most, because that was unexpected.

I saw TFA in two crowded theaters and no one laughed when Kylo took off his mask either time. Perhaps people are different.

I think Driver nailed his role and I can't wait to see how Kylo develops going forward.

Shaanyboi

Banned

So many awful opinions in one post. Driver nailed it - a misguided kid who has learned all the wrong lessons from history and has allowed himself to be inducted into a cult by someone insisting that he's "special". An insecure child who views his conflicted morality as a weakness as he maims and murders for a sinister manipulator.

Also not sure why you insist on the villain having "likable qualities." He's a fucking villain and the motherfucker who murdered Han Solo.

T"And then they went back to the planet and then R2-D2 woke up and then they had the whole map and then they went to find Luke and then they found Luke The End"

Yeah lol, it did feel that way. The ending could have used an extra 10-15 minutes to let a few elements breath a bit more.

Stormtrooper are impressed into service from birth. So killing them is killing unwilling participants.

That's an interesting point, didn't look at it from that angle. But it's more than just Finn killing stormtroopers, the resistance would be just as 'guilty'.

PopeReal

Kylo into the background? Ummmmm not going to happen.

Starkiller Base is a straight up mess, story-wise. Nothing about it makes sense. It is implied that it can move though, or else it'd only be able to fire once. And it fires its beam through hyper-space. Which I suppose is the only explanation for how it's visible across the galaxy.

I'm fine with it being a two shots only weapon. They have destroyed the fucking republic with one and was going to destroy the Resistance with the next one, it is already way too OP.

Some are taken from there families

I think the ones that are "impressed into service from birth" are the fighters and the ones kidnaped from families start out as janitors or Death Star construction slave workers before moving up the killing ladder.

Regardless, Finn and the rest of the galaxy have to defend themselves from killer pawns.

Finally saw this last night. It was kind of disappointing. I haven't read any of this thread or read any TFA reviews so I have no idea what everyone's been saying about this movie. Should be noted I've been a HUGE SW fan my whole life (age 31 male).

Here are my quick impressions:

-super derivative.
-poor casting on Kylo Ren. Poor character in general. Not only does he physically look nothing like Ford or Fischer, but he's yet another whiny Force kid that is quite reminiscent of Hayden Christensen in Sith. Why does he wear a mask? Should we even care? I hate that he survived and we have to sit through more of him in the sequels. (note: I agree that Driver did a great job. my problem is with the character not the actor)
-BB8 is an R2D2 clone
-Carrie Fischer should not have been in this movie. She looks and sounds like she's been smoking cigarettes for 40 years. Wish they would've killed her off instead of Han Solo because Harrison Ford was great and still looks the part.
-on that same note, Anthony Daniels sounded different too. I would've preferred an impersonator at this point.
-new "big bad" we know nothing about, seemingly just for the sake of having a big bad. He's like Poor Man's Emperor Palpatine.
-why we still got all these 100% CGI characters? come on, son.
-Poe was criminally underused.
-Luke was criminally underused.
-Phasma was criminally underused.
-weak score, even compared to the prequels. What happened, Williams?
-overall story problems. How the hell did the First Order get so powerful and so wealthy? How are the rebels/resistance still so weak and scrappy? This was not properly explained.
-why we gotta start on another desert planet that is exactly like Tatooine?
-Millenium Falcon's door is wide open on a desert planet. And the keys are in the ignition right in the middle of a low-income community. okay.

+loved the idea of using the Force to stop a laser beam.
+good casting on Finn and Rey.
+Poe was the best new character.
+fleshing out the character of Chewbacca a little bit was a nice surprise
+sound effects were top notch
+Luke's new character design looked great. I wish he would've said something though. I would've had him say, "did you happen to find the hand that came with it?" as a way to break the tension with Rey.

Also not sure why you insist on the villain having "likable qualities." He's a fucking villain and the motherfucker who murdered Han Solo.
Everyone loves Darth Vader. He's scary and awesome. Ask any little boy.

The Galactic Empire is bad ass. Ask any grown man.

Villians should be "cool" for the most part. Kylo Ren and his giant CGI boss are not.

Wreav

Banned
Had my one and only viewing last night. You Driver haters need to step outside and get some fresh air, he turned in a great performance. I could have definitely lived without Finn existing in this universe, as he felt so contrived and forced the entire time.

In general, the movie was just A New Hope: The New Class with rehashed plot points and a ridiculous level of fan service, but I'm hoping all that is out of the way and we get two solid movies now. The table has been set, the nostalgia has been hung out to dry, and now it's time to take the series somewhere new.

Chewie was the best character by a landslide.

Athreous

After watching all the past 6, I didn't enjoy this one that much...

The movie felt short, Rey was good, han solo too, but finn was just meh...

Chew was good, but the vilain, omg, it was horrible...

I loved the giant being! (I can't remember the name though, lol)

well, the gif IS slowed down to make the effect more dramatic than it actually really is. When I watched it the third time, I looked for this particular part, and at normal speed, it doesn't give you the same vibe.

Yeah.. he's just glad the man that saved his life, not only survived but completed his mission. The last thing he heard before they crashed was Finn wanting to get away from the First Order, not rescue some droid and deliver it to the Resistance.

Skinpop

he was taken from his family as a child and was then brainwashed to become a storm trooper. the implications of this is basically that we should feel sorry for the storm troopers and that the movie really should be about liberating them. I mean, finn even turns on them because he won't kill innocent people, but he's still fine with massacring these storm troopers.

Finns backstory should have been different.

Also the nazi-imagery. come one... that's been done so many times, it instantly brought me out of the movie.

Daemul

The Sith are a particular dark side cult, so you can be a dark side user without being a Sith.

Oh man, I really wish that the movies touched more on the occult side of the Sith. The Clone Wars delved a bit into it and it was really cool.
Kylo is everything Anakin should have been. Adam Driver nailed the whole conflicted and angry bad guy thing without coming off like a whiny bitch which Hayden Christensen was 100% the entire time.

LOL what? Driver's character was a petulant child with daddy issues constantly throwing tantrums, like Hayden he would have been a shit Anakin. Anakin has been portrayed correctly once and only once in the canon, and that was in the Clone Wars.

anakin.jpg

This Anakin was confident, bold, passionate with a bit of cockiness, but also selfless and willing to lay down his life for those around him. The Clonetroopers who served under him loved and admired him because even though his plans were at many times reckless, they knew that he would never ask them to do something risky and dangerous without he himself putting his own life at risk as well. He showed loyalty to his friends, Ashoka, Obi Wan, Padme, the Republic and even the Jedi Council, until later events in the series started to shake his trust in the Council, and this time it's actually completely justified. He had an anger in him that would come to the fore when those he cared about were in danger, which was what ultimately led him to the dark side, but he always did things with the intention of helping others.

This was the Anakin whom Obi Wan was describing to Luke when he called him "a good friend", not Drivers character and certainly not Hayden's character. Fuck the later movies for making people think that Anakin was meant to be a whiny, emo bitch.

Interfectum

Kylo Ren is one of the biggest if not the biggest character in this new trilogy. If anything, Episode 8 is going to focus a lot on him.

PopeReal

Finally saw this last night. It was kind of disappointing. Note - I haven't read any of this thread or read any TFA reviews so I have no idea what everyone's been saying about this movie. Should be noted I've been a HUGE SW fan my whole life (age 31 male).

Here are my quick impressions:

-super derivative.
-poor casting on Kylo Ren. Poor character in general. Not only does he physically look nothing like Ford or Fischer, but he's yet another whiny Force kid that is quite reminiscent of Hayden Christensen in Sith. Why does he wear a mask? Should we even care? I hate that he survived and we have to sit through more of him in the sequels.
-BB8 is an R2D2 clone
-Carrie Fischer should not have been in this movie. She looks and sounds like she's been smoking cigarettes for 40 years. Wish they would've killed her off instead of Han Solo because Harrison Ford was great and still looks the part.
-on that same note, Anthony Daniels sounded different too. I would've preferred an impersonator at this point.
-new "big bad" we know nothing about, seemingly just for the sake of having a big bad. He's like Poor Man's Emperor Palpatine.
-why we still got all these 100% CGI characters? come on, son.
-Poe was criminally underused.
-Luke was criminally underused.
-Phasma was criminally underused.
-weak score, even compared to the prequels. What happened, Williams?
-overall story problems. How the hell did the First Order get so powerful and so wealthy? How are the rebels/resistance still so weak and scrappy? This was not properly explained.
-why we gotta start on another desert planet that is exactly like Tatooine?
-Millenium Falcon's door is wide open on a desert planet. And the keys are in the ignition right in the middle of a low-income community. okay.

+loved the idea of using the Force to stop a laser beam.
+good casting on Finn and Rey.
+Poe was the best new character.
+fleshing out the character of Chewbacca a little bit was a nice surprise
+sound effects were top notch
+Luke's new character design looked great. I wish he would've said something though. I would've had him say, "did you happen to find the hand that came with it?" as a way to break the tension with Rey.

Lol a negative is a door was open. Ok enough for me today I am off to work. :)

Saw the movie for the second time last night. Better than the first viewing. I'm now convinced the haters either weren't paying attention or they want to be contrary for some ugly reason.

How can she fly the Millennium Falcon and why is she such a good mechanic for example. Or why she has the reaction that she has when Finn grabs her hand.

I feel like the movie does enough to give context for this.

She explicitly states that "we have [a pilot]" in reference to herself; after they escape in the Falcon, her and Finn have the "omg how did we do that moment" and she says she has flown ships but never like that before. It also seems pretty evident that she has worked extensively on the Falcon. She says it hasn't flown in "years" not decades, so maybe she was on board as whats-his-name tested his modifications out.

I didn't think the reaction to Finn's hand grabbing was supposed to mean anything, other than "I can take care of myself". The movie clearly wants us to realize that she isn't a damsel in distress, as she is constantly saving Finn, while Finn feels a duty to protect her.

Lagamorph

.....How did they get Luke's original Lightsaber back after he lost it on Bespin? Was this explained in some EU thing that's still canon?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Oh man, I really wish that the movies touched more on the occult side of the Sith. The Clone Wars delved a bit into it and it was really cool.

LOL what? Driver's character was a petulant child with daddy issues constantly throwing tantrums, like Hayden he would have been a shit Anakin. Anakin has been portrayed correctly once and only once in the canon, and that was in the Clone Wars.

anakin.jpg

This Anakin was confident, bold, passionate with a bit of cockiness, but also selfless and willing to lay down his life for those around him. The Clonetroopers who served under him loved and admired him because even though his plans were at many times reckless, they knew that he would never ask them to do something risky and dangerous without he himself putting his own life at risk as well. He showed loyalty to his friends, Ashoka, Obi Wan, Padme, the Republic and even the Jedi Council, until later events in the series started to shake his trust in the Council, and this time it's actually completely justified.

This was the Anakin whom Obi Wan was describing to Luke when he called him "a good friend", not Drivers character and certainly not Hayden's character. Fuck the later movies for making people think that Anakin was meant to be a whiny, emo bitch.
Of course he was. If he wasn't, Lucas wouldn't have written him that way. The problem is that this vision also happens to be incredibly shitty, and a bunch of writers had to come in and salvage that character with an animated series that is largely irrelevant to a lot of the people watching these movies.

Halcyon

People are entitled to opinions, but there have been alot of bad opinions in the last page or two.

I will admit the things I didn't really think worked well about TFA were:

Finn turning on the first order so non-nonchalantly. He starts firing on others in the hangar. He clearly had friends(the guy with the bloody hand). This then lead to a "hey we are now bros immediately" dynamic with Poe that I think was a bit forced.

I cringed when they were referencing Snoke in some of the dialogue. It just sounded a little goofy.

There was a shot of Finn and Rey in closeup that I didn't think they earned how earnest they were being with each other.

Sylas

If you think them casting a guy that looks like Adam Driver was a mistake, I don't know what to say.

They knew precisely the sort of reaction Kylo unmasking himself would achieve. He looks harmless under that intimidating mask. He doesn't look like the sort of dude you'd be afraid of. That was literally the entire point.

You could even break it down and call it downright symbolic that he looked like a normal person under the mask that he put on so he could be a big badass.

prag16

Banned
Saw the movie for the second time last night. Better than the first viewing. I'm now convinced the haters either weren't paying attention or they want to be contrary for some ugly reason.

I know, opinions and such, but the laundry lists of nitpicks people have been posting are almost more frustrating than the driveby "it sucked" type posts. (Almost.)

The pretentious critiquing that goes on just sucks all the fun out of the room. I should probably leave these threads.

Chewie was the best character by a landslide.

Chewie had some fantastic little moments and reactions. His banter with Han, the "you must be very brave", his killstreak when Han dies, and those sad little wookie grunts :(

I also love the curious little look he gives Rey when they approach Luke's island.

Interfectum

If you think them casting a guy that looks like Adam Driver was a mistake, I don't know what to say.

They knew precisely the sort of reaction Kylo unmasking himself would achieve. He looks harmless under that intimidating mask. He doesn't look like the sort of dude you'd be afraid of. That was literally the entire point.

You could even break it down and call it downright symbolic that he looked like a normal person under the mask that he put on so he could be a big badass.

Rey's reaction even echoes what you just said. She was expecting a monster behind that mask.

I think people need shit spelled out for them anime style these days or some shit.

So, how did nobody at Maz's place realize that the one First Order scout there was, well, with the First Order? She looked like a Sith! She might as well have been on one of those Covergirl Star Wars ads promoting the dark side!

I know, opinions and such, but the laundry lists of nitpicks people have been posting are almost more frustrating than the driveby "it sucked" type posts. (Almost.)

The pretentious critiquing that goes on just sucks all the fun out of the room. I should probably leave these threads.

You're not the only one, I don't know why I keep coming back, it's a cycle that just keeps repeating itself since the first spoiler TFA topic. There's legitimate criticism to be had beyond cynical nitpicks and an apparent need of at least 20 minutes worth of exposition to explain everything.

Top Bottom