• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I only ever read the manga, but Watamote never struck me as mean-spirited. I mean, Watamote herself was definitely an incredibly damaged and flawed character and probably the deepest, deepest end of adolescent self-loathing without going full on psycho-nuts, but it felt very, shamefully relatable - as if the author was like "Hey, these feelings are more common than you'd think"

The anime might be a different story for all I know.

Link Man

Banned
Wagnaria!!2 12

Inam-he?

iA4NzZn88JW1i.jpg

Of course he uses the kitten as a background.

Oh god, Yamada-kun.

Poor Yamada-san.

i2g6U5cHaYQNH.jpg

Ah, Inami's cute when she smiles!

ifNZruoZ0YPGm.jpg

Sailor Moon 11

Usagi and Rei's rivalry works really well and adds a lot to both characters. Battles continue to be a lot more enjoyable with the group attacks and various elements of strategy that come into play because of it. All in all a very enjoyable episode

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 24

EEmVzld.jpg

YtYtNRy.png

THIS IS A SHOW ABOUT SPACE

Great episode, feeling the conclusion coming around. Excited to see how it plays out.

Although the fucking preview spoiled that Dessler survived.

I still maintain Watamote was a horrible, vile, mean spirited and repetitive creation and its tanking was the sign that sometimes the universe knows what it is doing.

It tanked? Guess highly popular manga series don't always translate to highly popular anime series.

Superflat

It tanked? Guess highly popular manga series don't always translate to highly popular anime series.

The anime was lackluster production-wise, and I found the manga to be the ideal format for its premise and skits. Whether it was through mediocre directing or writing, the show just didn't get much acclaim or attention.

I really enjoyed the voice work for Tomoko and the quirky music though.

Sailor Moon 12

Whoever decided to have so many Usagi only focused episodes should be flogged, this series is 100x better with the supporting cast. Jadeite is getting the shit end of the stick here yeah he keeps failing but it's not like anyone else in Queen Beryl's whole army is doing shit or even trying to help him.

Syrinx

Non Non Biyori 9

Natsumi and Komari like to complain how tough their mother is on them, but I think that having to put up with Natsumi being your kid kinda makes you that way by default. And Candy Store's the same way with her, because she's a pain in the ass for her as well. Lol at Natsumi playing that tape at the end, especially after reading Komari's first grade essay to them.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So, I honestly had my reservations about Gintama' after the amazing first 201 episodes of... Gintama, but Gintama': Enchousen or Season 6 or whatever the fuck it's called was a true return to form. The 13 episodes were true Gintama perfection: ie the amazing blend of gut-splitting funny, heart-wrenchingly sad induced feels, and over the top shonen serious/action. Definitely the best way to send the series off.

Now if you don't mind me, I'm going to go cry now that it's all over.

I still maintain Watamote was a horrible, vile, mean spirited and repetitive creation and its tanking was the sign that sometimes the universe knows what it is doing.

Wholeheartedly agree. The main character is unlikable at the start, unlikable through the show, and unlikable at the end.

But guys you haven't talked about the best part about Watamote!

THE OP!

Its easy to be the "best part" when its the only redeemable part.

Link Man

Banned
Clannad 1

Did the cameraman go drunk?

iRdMBTpBX7nm4.jpg

ibbrDvKhH1ZGNf.jpg

...just what have I gotten myself into?

Suddenly CG(?).

Protagonist seat. Of course.

Wait. Protag is a senior. His class president has an older sister. Are they twins?

Biker gang. Mohawk guy and pompadour guy. Of course.

This music, sounds like it came straight from a ... visual novel. This started out as a visual novel, didn't it.

Just how big is this bakery, anyway?

Okay, Nagisa's dad is pretty great.

Show is starting out very cliche-ridden. I shall endure, though.

mankoto

Psycho-Pass 01
I started watching this when it aired but I had to drop it (around episode 5) due to life getting really busy. Man, I honestly forgot how intense it could be.

Love Live! School Idol Project 01-04
The last time I tried something music based (K-ON) I was bored to tears and couldn't get into it no matter how many times I tried (and I've tried to make it to episode 5 3 times and couldn't.) And the time before that, I was really young so I didn't know what was going on in Beck. This however, this was really enjoyable and I actually laughed at a few parts.

Yowamushi Pedal 08-10
My favorite thing about this series so far has to be the characters. Besides the "know-it-all" they're all really likable and everyone's motivations are pretty clear.

Akame no Riddle 11
I saw this coming a mile away. It only made sense.

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Wait, if he gets any stronger he'll
destroy the world?
What?

H2 - 10~15

I don't know why, but I love these repetition jokes Adachi likes to do.
It's nice to see a story where there are already relantioships and they are kind of normal, it was a breath of fresh air to see Hideo and Hikaru going out like it was nothing since they are a couple, and the way they met.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clannad 1

Did the cameraman go drunk?

iRdMBTpBX7nm4.jpg

ibbrDvKhH1ZGNf.jpg

...just what have I gotten myself into?

Suddenly CG(?).

Protagonist seat. Of course.

Wait. Protag is a senior. His class president has an older sister. Are they twins?

Biker gang. Mohawk guy and pompadour guy. Of course.

This music, sounds like it came straight from a ... visual novel. This started out as a visual novel, didn't it.

Just how big is this bakery, anyway?

Okay, Nagisa's dad is pretty great.

Show is starting out very cliche-ridden. I shall endure, though.

It begins. Yes, it was a visual novel. Yes, they're twins. Yes, Akio is like the best character in the show, you'll probably adore him. And yes, the first season is pretty cliche, but there are some standout moments and it leads into After Story. Glorious, glorious After Story. Please stick with it. /takesoffpsychomantismask

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sailor Moon 12

Whoever decided to have so many Usagi only focused episodes should be flogged, this series is 100x better with the supporting cast.
As I've said before and elsewhere, the main engine of the show is character interaction, and that doesn't really get going until both Ami and Rei show up.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yami 5

ONDONDE!

I'm gonna eat like this from now on.

Loony-toons sound effects? Jesus christ. Between Garganuta's posing and these goblin fuckups, I'm losing my mind.

Yes, let's go. Let's get the FUCK away from these weirdos.

"Whoa, momma!" Quile...dear lord. The QUEEN of the brown girl anime waifus right here, holy.

this some stupid shit

why is Quile so perfect

this sounds like I'm playing a video game. Actually, it sound IDENTICAL to Eurfloria!

holy fuck how is this
massage scene
allowed

DEAR LORD

SDBurton, tell me you've watched this show.

School Days 4

You're exhausted in this relationship? YOU DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN ANYWAYS GODDAMN IT FUCK YOU

Damn, you're moving really fast, moron.

You're just a stick in the mud who thinks with his dick. THERE IS NO DEPTH TO YOU. NONE.

And you, Katsura, you just can't speak up and stand up for yourself. You're at fault here somewhat too. Grow a spine.

That wastebin doesn't surprise me in the least, Mokoto. NOT IN THE LEAST.

NO. MOKOTO. DO NOT PROCEED. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT 200 SEKAI DOLLARS. DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER

41d.png

I'm done. That's enough anime for tonight.

Syrinx

Yami 5

ONDONDE!

Loony-toons sound effects? Jesus christ. Between Garganuta's posing and these goblin fuckups, I'm losing my mind.

"Whoa, momma!" Quile...dear lord. The QUEEN of the brown girl anime waifus right here, holy.

this some stupid shit

why is Quile so perfect

this sounds like I'm playing a video game. Actually, it sound IDENTICAL to Eurfloria!

holy fuck how is this
massage scene
allowed

DEAR LORD

He watched it. And hated it. Because he's a fraud.

I found the Watamote anime to be fine honestly. I found that being able to emphasize with her plight was one of the show strengths, but it doesn't show how that problem is ultimately dealt with, so the show feels aimless.

Sword Art Online - 8

I'm not going to lie, it is kind of interesting to me on how the players have integrated into the system and have adapted to the world before them and have a plan of some sort. The lesser-experienced players have done things like open-up shops and businesses inside the game while they let the more experienced players handle the problem of finishing the game and setting everybody free. They've taken the world before them and sort of reshaped it a bit to allow themselves to fit in until they can get out.

The show does that part all right, I guess. But again, I could probably have taken this a lot more seriously if the main protagonist was a noob who had never played a game like this before (LIKE KLEIN!!!!). Make the focus on someone struggling to adapt to that kind of life. It's hard to get a real grip on the whole "survival" aspect of this show when our main character is getting it all good with the ladies and is seen tanking hits from other players and is dubbed a beater (bahahaha). It just doesn't work.

So now there's less than 500 players left. You can just barely call this an MMO any more.

jbug617

Banned
I found the Watamote anime to be fine honestly. I found that being able to emphasize with her plight was one of the show strengths, but it doesn't show how that problem is ultimately dealt with, so the show feels aimless.

I had a similar feeling to the show. You sort of wait to see if things change but they don't

TUSR

Banned
I need an anime adult

Fate Stay Night
(24x Episodes, 1x Movie, 1x OVA)
Fate/Zero (25x Episodes)

Is this the right order to watch these in?

Narag

I need an anime adult

Fate Stay Night
(24x Episodes, 1x Movie, 1x OVA)
Fate/Zero (25x Episodes)

Is this the right order to watch these in?

Here's the correct order.

Fate Stay Night[/B] (24x Episodes, 1x Movie, 1x OVA)
Fate/Zero (25x Episodes)

If you insist upon F/SN, wait for the ufotable adaptation in the fall.

cajunator

Banned
Yami 5

ONDONDE!

this some stupid shit

why is Quile so perfect

holy fuck how is this
massage scene
allowed

DEAR LORD

School Days 4

You're exhausted in this relationship? YOU DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN ANYWAYS GODDAMN IT FUCK YOU

Damn, you're moving really fast, moron.

You're just a stick in the mud who thinks with his dick. THERE IS NO DEPTH TO YOU. NONE.

And you, Katsura, you just can't speak up and stand up for yourself. You're at fault here somewhat too. Grow a spine.

That wastebin doesn't surprise me in the least, Mokoto. NOT IN THE LEAST.

NO. MOKOTO. DO NOT PROCEED. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT 200 SEKAI DOLLARS. DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER

41d.png

I'm done. That's enough anime for tonight.

This is entertainment baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom