• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Captain Boring

LLQgPAN.jpg

IfRTfWA.jpg

AHAHAH, WAT? I wish I could into .GIF because this scene was CG level of stupid.

Link Man

Banned
Mekakucity Actors 10

Really interesting episode, the other world was sufficiently creepy and unnerving (kind of reminds me of SMT Nocturne, now that I think on it). Seemed to fly by, though.

Teekyu 3 10-12

The world gets saved, a new OP gets shown and a test gets taken.

It's more of the same just with less more fanservice. So it gets the same score as the first second season from me, 3/5 tennis balls:
NWtBypa.png
NWtBypa.png
NWtBypa.png
MUwWRxp.png
MUwWRxp.png

Mahouka 8
So he just invented flight magic when they spent half the episode on how no one had come close to figuring it out. This guy.

like i said the anime pacing makes zero sense. so many random tangents.

from what i gather from reading the first book or so of the LN, that super oniisama is pretty much mewtwo or something like that?

Nafe

Happiness Charge PreCure!

Episode 19

KirbYuuYuu are you also this interested in rice and food? Haha.

I like how the girls outfits had these little soccer ball hair clips to them. I also liked the scene where Fortune was taking out the minions and they seemed to increasingly have more sweat marks appearing, knowing they were far outmatched. By the time it got to the last guy, he put his hands up in a "time out/I give up" type of gesture before Fortune knocked him away,haha.

Who said Nafe was being mean this episode? I just had to show madp how it's done. ;p

I haven't seen this past weekends episode so it might have gone more into it. While on the one hand Fortune seemed a bit mean and hypocritical during the soccer match, it did seem like she possibly trusted and worked with Princess before and it cost her something very important to her. Just in the first episode where it's mentioned Princess has never won and Fortune said she wasn't there to save her but basically clean up her mess so things didn't get ruined further.

They'll probably all become friends and we'll see how that happens but for now I could at least see why she acted like she did. This one person can't seem to do anything but these other two actually seem competent and can get stuff done, so maybe I should team up with them. I forget if it was shown that Fortune saw the others identities but that, "yeah I'm Fortune", bit at the end was kind of funny.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 11

First half with Sayaka's weaknesses was great. I love the character interactions in this show.

I'm sad that there's only one episode left. Hopefully there'll be a show like this I stumble upon next season like I did with this.

Link Man

Banned
One Week Friends 11

ibs456ODk5tbEh.jpg

So, we finally learn the why of her memory loss, only for Hase to lose his spine once more. Does he not realize that making himself distant from Kaori will hurt her even more than getting close to her will?

irCPxVjNbmJ9h.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Happiness Charge PreCure!

Episode 19

I haven't seen this past weekends episode so it might have gone more into it. While on the one hand Fortune seemed a bit mean and hypocritical during the soccer match, it did seem like she possibly trusted and worked with Princess before and it cost her something very important to her. Just in the first episode where it's mentioned Princess has never won and Fortune said she wasn't there to save her but basically clean up her mess so things didn't get ruined further.
It's something they've been hinting at not so subtly since the beginning: Hime opened the box, and Iona knows, therefore she blames Hime for everything that happened including the loss of her sister.

cajunator

Banned
One Week Friends 11

ibs456ODk5tbEh.jpg

So, we finally learn the why of her memory loss, only for Hase to lose his spine once more. Does he not realize that making himself distant from Kaori will hurt her even more than getting close to her will?

irCPxVjNbmJ9h.jpg

More frustrating than 50 first dates or whetever it was called.
Much cuter girl though because I dont like Drew Barrymore at all.

I just realize that Chaika's simple sentence structure would make for great image macros.

Lol yeah I noticed that too.

Yeah, pretty shameful that he forgot to mention watching Home and Away while having a shrimp on the barbie during all that clam digging.

That sounds more like New Zealand.

Australians say "put the shrimp on the baaahbie"

while New Zealanders say "put the shrimp on the baaaaahbie"*

*this joke from Flight of the Conchords doesn't transfer too well in text form**
**I assure you it was very funny when they said it

cnet128

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal 36

I'm pretty sure a human being's tongue should not be able to reach their own ear.

What species are you, Midousuji?

Link Man

Banned
Kawai Complex Guide 11

Hmm, could be referencing both Inagami&Nekoyama and Gochiusa, not sure.

ifQSX0aYFm8nM.jpg

I detect the potential for shed.mov jokes. Bonus points if you know what I'm referencing.

That's a really cute outfit Ritsu's wearing.

HH DxD gets a third season while Hataraku Maou Sama doesn't even get a season 2 :mad:
It's a matter of "priorities"
Saint Seiya (1986) 16

Considering I know who Athena is and that there are more than 1 Gold Cloths (yay hindsight!), this exposition isn't exactly accurate. You can tell Toei phoned it in. Also... why does the Pope look so demonic?
I don't see the différence :p
Bodacious Space Pirates 09-13

The Serenity plotline was kind of interesting, but I'm more interested in what's coming next, since I think Marika is going recruiting for her crew next. Why she doesn't just ask her friends in the yacht club, I've no idea.
This last sentence ..i - can't ....
Fairy Tale 02-10

FAIRY, WHERE ARE YOU GOING?

This probably has one of the most catchy OPs I've heard in a while. I'm enjoying the show a-plenty, but as it stands Lucy is probably the least useful mage in the guild (that I've seen).
Glad you enjoy it since IMO you're in the weakest part of fairy tail ( except the
Exceed
arc ) ..the show get better from the point you are , so enjoy it !
Lucy has one of the most catch-up to do from a character in a shonen out of all i've seen. yeah she is not that great ATM, but this is going to get better , little by little.
Watamote 04-05

And finally picking this show back up... It's as awkward as ever.

I should finish this show.

cajunator

Banned
It's a matter of "priorities"

I don't see the différence :p

This last sentence ..i - can't ....

Glad you enjoy it since IMO you're in the weakest part of fairy tail ( except the
Exceed
arc ) ..the show get better from the point you are , so enjoy it !
Lucy has one of the most catch-up to do from a character in a shonen out of all i've seen. yeah she is not that great ATM, but this is going to get better , little by little.

I should finish this show.

Yeah you should finish Watamote. People said it was cringeworthy but it isnt.

Nananananananananana 10

All this golden ratio and Fibbonaci Sequence talk

Gyro_smile.png

I have no clue what anyone's goal is in this show. I can't help but feel this show would be better if it was just treasure hunting hijinx and not all these organizations and 20 different people with all their different goals and dumb fight scenes. Nothing is really coherent.
But I do know that Edgemaster McLamevillain Sugita decked Tensai, and that ain't cool.

cnet128

Banned
M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane 9

The truth is out, surprising nobody.

Well, I suppose Akashi himself was pretty surprised. Though other words might be more appropriate.

jgminto

I think Watamote was great. Tomoko is a really fun character and I love that kind of satire that pokes fun of itself and its audience. I could definitely relate to her in some of those scenarios. Shame it sold like shit, would have liked another season.

Yowamushi Pedal 36

Abu indeed!
Hayato losing to Midousuji was pretty devastating. He's my favourite of the Hakone riders. HE DESERVED THAT HIGH FIVE!!!

I wish it was Toudou in that scene, now it has to be left to imagination and doujins for him :(

Plot
Cheatdousoji, wow!!!, but at least the singing while climbing afterwards made me laugh

Teshima is amazing cheerer!

cajunator

Banned
i get what watamote wanted to do ... i've watched 3 or 4 eps ... but it "struck so close to home" at times that i had a hard time having fun watching it.

Man. Im a total loser but I didnt feel an ounce of shame watching it at all.

You know what the problem is? People think being like Tomoko is bad. Its not.

Superflat

i get what watamote wanted to do ... i've watched 3 or 4 eps ... but it "struck so close to home" at times that i had a hard time having fun watching it.

For me it was more the agony of feeling second hand embarrassment that made the show hard to watch at times. I think Watamote's strength is how it's able to make a wide variety of people relate to her situations in one way or another.

But they really don't pull many punches as far as relaying unfiltered thought processes, no matter how petty, selfish, or pathetic they are, and that made for some real uncomfortable "I'm not sure if I wanna keep watching this train wreck" moments. It's one of the more unique shows I've watched in the past year.

Man. Im a total loser but I didnt feel an ounce of shame watching it at all.

I don't think so either... I even think that it's ok that at her age she actually question what happens in her life to the extreme..i think it's better than many other school oriented characters that only have a "surface" and nothing else.

Well my backlog is kinda full ..curse you FF14 !

For me it was more the agony of feeling second hand embarrassment that made the show hard to watch at times. I think Watamote's strength is how it's able to make a wide variety of people relate to her situations in one way or another.

But they really don't pull many punches as far as relaying unfiltered thought processes, no matter how petty, selfish, or pathetic they are, and that made for some real uncomfortable "I'm not sure if I wanna keep watching this train wreck" moments. It's one of the more unique shows I've watched in the past year.

Yeah THIS 100 %

cajunator

Banned
I don't know, the episode with her younger cousin made her look really pathetic.

Nah. She cant help the way she is. Stays in her room a lot. So what? You wanna know what I do at work? I screech like this http://vocaroo.com/i/s0D5JKbwczQb
would that embarass you in public? I do it a lot.
its no less odd than anything Tomoko does. Probably a lot more. Tomo is just really shy. Shes completely adorable and I would hug the hell out of her.

Superflat

I like her core character. But her narcissistic tendencies paired with delusion and self-destructive qualities I would say are pretty bad. It's hard to say if being like her is okay or not because she constantly doesn't approve of herself.

As far as her being a lone wolf and having a hard time opening up with others, there's nothing wrong with that of course.

Mekaku City Actors 10

Pretty decent episode, but this show took far too long to get anywhere or explain anything.
At least it's not as bad as Captain Earth is with that stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Look the ONLY reason that anyone is ashamed of any of this is because society says they should be. Fuck what society says. The only thing that matters is that you do your best. If you think youre just useless then you simply havent found your niche.

Think I was born with a silver spoon and thats why Im always happy? My grandparents and aunt were murdered when I was 11. My dad used a huge oak paddle to administer justice (or a belt). He has called me a worthless piece of lazy shit ever since I could remember and I began believing it. I couldnt even look people even relatives in the eyes until I was 18. I was teased for being a short, skinny, glasses wearing chinese kid in a mostly black school on the poor side of town. I always liked both boyish and girly things. I struggled late in high school and all through college wasting money pursuing three different degrees and eventually quit. My first job was at a broken down cinema in a ghetto. I mean yeah I know what life can throw at a person but you know what? I fought it. I didnt just feel sorry or embarassed for my situation and what society expected, I did what was best for me. I worked my ass off both at home and wherever I was employed and didnt expect special treatment or sympathy. I took a job that terrified me because Id have to talk to people on a phone and face to face, some of whom can be very angry. It was a job that guaranteed high pressure and the boss wasnt fully confident I had the personality to make it work. I made life and society work for ME. I didnt conform to what it wanted from me and I refuse to.
Thats why the show didnt bother me. It still showed my faults in ways but I said to myself despite all this Im still making my way in the world and I was fucking PROUD of myself warts and all. In a way that show just made me feel like there are a lot of people struggling like I did and I felt more at peace with myself than I did before. It made me feel less alone.
Watamote is thusly one of the most important anime ever created for many of us and you should enjoy the challenge society has presented, not ashamed of it.

M3 The dark metal Episode 9: Blue Heart of Steel

These people really dont respond much to a scientist operating on the border of ethics.
Though he could have explained a bit more before opening the system that Aoshi did volunteer for this affair. Was a bit surprised that the system relied on actual humans, though necrometallicized, to operate. Akashi ought to have taken his anger out on the scientist and the lady though

Good episode.

Articalys

The problem I have with Watamote is that not only does it go the "let's all laugh at how miserably pathetic this person's life is" style of comedy, but it also implies she has a near-zero chance of breaking out of her routine, something she desperately wants to do, which, even though it's all fictional, is still somewhat uncomfortable for me to think about.

Narag

I think Watamote was great. Tomoko is a really fun character and I love that kind of satire that pokes fun of itself and its audience. I could definitely relate to her in some of those scenarios. Shame it sold like shit, would have liked another season.

I want to finish this for the reasons quoted.

The problem I have with Watamote is that not only does it go the "let's all laugh at how miserably pathetic this person's life is" style of comedy, but it also implies she has a near-zero chance of breaking out of her routine, something she desperately wants to do.

Because it is a comedy, that should be fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom