• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Exactly. That's his entire character.

His character is that he has no character, that's how bland of a character he is. He isn't a character, he's a caricature. A caricature of what might constitute as a good character from some other better anime character that actually has a character.

All I can say about Kirito is that he has a defined character design. Also a voice. Those are his defining features.

sonicmj1

You're just in too deep, sonic! The show went too far from the first episode.

It really must be the expectations then. I think I let a lot of the random jiggling boobies stuff go in episode 1 because I was just grateful that the lead wasn't molesting his little sister.

Oh god I really am lost aren't I

Defuser

I have a bit of a question regarding SAO, so apparently if you die in the game your brain doesn't get instantly fried. So then what prevents someone from ripping off the headgear immediately if there is a delay of a minute essentially?

That would have made too much sense.

TUSR

Banned
I have a bit of a question regarding SAO, so apparently if you die in the game your brain doesn't get instantly fried. So then what prevents someone from ripping off the headgear immediately if there is a delay of a minute essentially?

maybe your consciousness is trapped in the game, or just plot

NeonZ

It's not that the NerveGear takes that long to fry your brain, that's done almost instantly. It's just that it waits for a bit before frying the player's brain, after his character has died. So, if you attempt to remove it forcefully, the "brain frying" gets activated automatically and the player is dead.

Mokoi

Banned
No Game No Life 11

5JQ.png

Amazing OP 10/10. Was really fun seeing the whole fps battle take place, but dam that last loli shot was pretty repulsive.

Jibril still reamins the best thing about the show.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh how I'm looking forward to the QnAs for series 2.

Wasn't the delay only for when you die in the game as it takes time to register or something? It seemed to imply it actually is instant if you tamper with the headgear.

Or maybe I'm remembering wrong, IDK.

Chariot

Jibril is so good.

Its a shame Steph disappeared though?
She surely plays a bigger role. I think it was the point of Sora and Shiro shooting her and making her appear useless, so she would be ignored by the Warbeasts.

Also: Jibirl is best.

TUSR

Banned
She surely plays a bigger role. I think it was the point of Sora and Shiro shooting her and making her appear useless, so she would be ignored by the Warbeasts.

Also: Jibirl is best.

Im going to bring back my Jibril avatar, but this time it will be smug Jibril = best Jibril.

But yeah I agree
next episode I expect her to be useful for something to redeem her grandfathers name

jman2050

That's the end of the series, or just the most recent LN? If it's the former, that's an even bigger troll ending than Oreimo and the most random harem pick in the entire genre.

That's part of the confusion! There's another volume coming out but the author himself said he plans to make it an epilogue volume, whatever that means.

Frankly I have no clue where this trainwreck is heading.

Jarmel

Banned
It's not that the NerveGear takes that long to fry your brain, that's done almost instantly. It's just that it waits for a bit before frying the player's brain, after his character has died. So, if you attempt to remove it forcefully, the "brain frying" gets activated automatically and the player is dead.

That doesn't make sense though, is there a gyrosensor in there that notices quick movements? Seems like it would be relatively easy to fool the gear with that minute delay.

There would have to be a delay function in there somewhere for minut internet disconnections.

That doesn't make sense though, is there a gyrosensor in there that notices quick movements? Seems like it would be relatively easy to fool the gear with that minute delay.

There would have to be a delay function in there somewhere for minut internet disconnections.

Thinking too deeply about Sword Art Online is hazardous to your health.

fertygo

There would have to be a delay function in there somewhere for minute internet disconnections.

Let be real, no way JSDF, CIA, KIA or whatever can't hack the shit off..

We're fucked if shit actually happened to Oculus aren't we?
Thinking too deeply about Sword Art Online is hazardous to your health.

Eh Shigeru's hate just reminded him to the thing.

cnet128

Banned

I recall there is indeed a feature in the program that allows it to be safely disconnected from the internet for a few hours at a time or something (Kayaba specifically informed the world of this so that the authorities would be able to safely move all the SAO players to hospitals).

Try to tamper with the NerveGear itself or disconnect it from the player's head, though, and it'll just fry them.

jman2050

Also those Haganai spoilers - holy fuck
Sena x Yozora
is canon? I approve of this twist. Honestly the best possible outcome.

Relevant post from a Certain Location!

Well Yozora saves Sena from being lynched, and they end up spending Christmas together.

The conversation they have then is pretty nice too.
Yozora: Back in primary school I realized I wasn't a special existence.
Sena: Stupid STUPID
Yozora: I shouldn't have said that to you.
Sena: Don't worry about it you are special...I'll make you a special existence. Hey Yozora, become my friend.
Yozora: What random thing are you saying, after all we are... we are already friend

You're right, Chaika is definetenly the best BONES show since Soul Eater Not.
that's a nice way to say nothing
3rd Episode of Phi Brain.
I'm srsly loving this, but villains kinda boring right now and they are the same tho i've seen only two.
The vilains haven't appeared yet ..all you've seen so far were generic goons ...

If you die in the game , you have 60 secs to use a revival item ( very rare ) to live again , after this countdown the brain get fried.
if you try to remove the headgear , there is no countdown , the "safety" will try to fry the brain if it detect an attempt at removal. the safety will also fry the brain if the internal battery level get low ( before it doesn't have enough power to fry it of course ).
This stuff has been explained by the author , the anime just choose to not tell you.
Let be real, no way JSDF, CIA, KIA or whatever can't hack the shit off..

They aren't trying to.
( spoiler but hey )

Acosta

I finished with Humanity Has Declined.

It was a lovely trip, awesome art, adorable fairies and a great protagonist. I said before but I loved that combination of cynicism and kindness and her internal monologues. And yes, the OP is awesome.

My only "concern" is that I have the feeling that I missed something important. The series is hard to follow, I don't know when is talking of the past or the present, and I have the feeling there is more than what I got about the argument and characters.

For example

I didn't understand the ending, did they try to pull a "this was just a dream"? I got a bit confused about it

And the most important thing:

WHY THE PROTAGONIST DOESN'T HAVE A NAME? :(
As for highlights, the one when she arrived to the isolated island with the fairies was one of the ones I most enjoyed. The one when
they get into a manga and must make it work creating new plots
was awesome too. And I was shocked at the one with the
the temporal loop
is one clear example of something I felt I didn't fully understand.

Anyway, I am really glad of having watched this.

Jarmel

Banned
Black Bullet aka Attack on IQ-11
Oh god, just when I thought I had hit the bottom of the stupidity barrel last episode. So there is the obviously bad leadership this episode, no surprise there. Of course nobody has radios or any sort of communication device to properly convey where they're going. Anyway Satomi makes the correct decision and of course is punished for it. Despite the melodrama worthy of Araki, I'm fine up to this point. This is when I feel that whoever wrote/is writing this, was hit multiple times on the head. So apparently they know they need to defeat this other 'Super Gastrea' which displays this ridiculous ability of shooting energy beams everywhere (oh and there better be a good reason as to why the Gastrea randomly withdrew), and to do so they're going to let Satomi do a one man rush on this Gastrea despite it being heavily guarded. Now I can understand forcing someone to do a suicide mission as a form of punishment (Suicide Squad anyone?), the problem is when the fate of the rest of your army depends on it. Like if he fails, you're all fucked. So common sense would dictate that you would send in a specialized squad and provide backup to defeat the Energy Beam spamming Gastrea. Of course, you just send in one guy. uwotm8? Oh and you send in the only guy who actually showed some combat insight. It's anime so whatever, that's par for the course. I still love how the show spends so much time setting up the adjuvant,
only for it to boil down to Satomi in the end
. Thanks for wasting my time.
Oh and we then get the re-arrival of
the Joker
. lol de fucking lol. Oh and I would love to hear the reasoning about why
he's helping Satomi considering he was trying to destroy the town, the last time they met.
There was also a scene where I noticed Satomi was staring at the camera instead of the character he was talking to. Minor detail though.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 137 (engDub)
Emerald Shield, Paschal is one of the better cards but overall the Aqua Force deck continues to have some of the best looking cards for a clan in the series. I may have to invest in building Leon's deck because its too good.

Яeverse Ali Fazil keeping his personality is hilarious, his lines are too good and hilarious.

Link Man

Banned
Nanana 11

Afte the awesome fight from last episode, we get...a breather episode. :(

Inugami&Nekoyama 11

Welp, SDBurton
will have blue balls

Ping Pong the Animation END

Profound sadness at this being over. Easy AOTS.
Ending went pretty much as I expected, but I'm really glad we got the after scenes.
Also even the traveling guy came back, a guy with like 8 minutes total screen time was one of my favorite characters.

I need the OST for this series.
Best OP and probably best ED this season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Notamina Presents Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11:

The World Cup is proving to be terrible for my watching of the anime as I have to speed through this episode before the next match, anyway, yes that was a pretty good good end but really I think the show hit its emotional climax with the impervious episode. Still, the overall show the the season by my estimation.

cnet128

Banned
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka? 11

Adorable Christmassy happiness. I think my heart may have melted into goo while watching the scene with
Chino waking up to find presents...and Cocoa

phaze

Ping Pong the Animation 11

Is it wrong that I wanted more of actual Ping Pong in a show finale about Ping Pong ?* Episode 10 was much superior in that respect.

The epilogue tidied up things nicely. Yay for a happy
Kong ending.

Yes, yes it's not about the sport but characters but still ...

BluWacky

One noitaminA season ends, another one gears up its PR!

Terror in Resonance now has a full page devoted to its soundtrack, with some striking cover art and - more importantly - several clips. No OP or ED on the album, but it sounds like vintage Kanno.

There also appears to be some kind of tie-in with the Japanese branch of MENSA, called "A Challenge from SPHINX". The video advert for it is currently region locked, but essentially it seems to be some kind of brain teaser quiz that will be set after each episode with prizes (probably awful ones, but there you go).

Tenumi

Banned
Date A Live II (END)

Something that this season taught me: Even a strong harem lead can't save a story. The show was alright for what it was, nothing spectacular. Unlike another show from this season (Love Live), this season didn't feel tacked on to make more money. I liked the first season, but this one, not quite as much, unfortunately.

cnet128

Banned
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 11

Hmmm, Nekoyama-san's family seems to consist of...a big sister. This feels like a missed opportunity. Clearly she should have multiple imoutos, since if there's one thing that's cuter than cats, it's KITTENS.

The yuritasticness in this episode was delicious,
even if part of it was only a dream, lol

Jarmel

Banned
Ping Pong-fin
As this show comes to its conclusion, it strongly reminds me of Tsuritama. Mainly in that the shows are focused around stuff I have absolutely no interest in real life (in that I somewhat hate fishing and I find Ping Pong boring as I play tennis). However in both cases, the shows use these activities as a vehicle for character development and growth and make me invested in these hobbies in a way I wouldn't have been before. In the end, I'm strongly reminded of the creed that "It's all about the characters". Here in Ping Pong, the climax really focuses not only on the relationship between Smile and Peco but also Smile's development as an individual. I know people have claimed that Smile is a boring character and static but I really disagree that analysis because the show has spent a lot of time on his inner turmoil and mental issues even if he doesn't display them in an outwards manner such as Peco.
The finale had some really great sakuga cuts in there and in general had a lot, and I mean a lot, of animation going on. The background art did seemingly just give up mid-way through and I'm not sure if that was production issues or a stylistic choice. The show as a whole had a really strong distinct artistic vibe to it that at times were offputting to me but I do like the change compared to the generic shit we see day and day out now in anime productions. The OST is god-tier. One of the strongest I've heard in a very long while. I really enjoyed the laidback tunes in the OST as it's both very electronic but also soothing.
iflVWWOeNIbJw.jpg

Hey Shinji, get in the fucking robot.
This really felt like a 'mature' production in a lot of ways in both how the characters were handled but also aspects like the art and soundtrack. It's a show that's not out to be an advertisement but is rather confident in being its own work and trying to tell a story. For that I have to applaud Yuasa in trying to use the medium in a way not done often nowadays.
I have to say that I really enjoy tales of friendship like these where the relationship serves not just to exist in of itself but also used to enhance the characters as individuals.
I found it funny how the two most driven people in the show essentially give the sport up while the more laidback guys actually accelerate. I thought this was really effective at highlighting that what it matters is love of the sport. Both Kazama and Smile had little interest in Ping Pong in of itself.

Na na na na, hey-ey-ey, goooooodbye end

Watching this after Ping Pong is painful.

At least there was Tens- HEY WAIT THAT THE RED HAIRED GIRL SHOWED UP FOR 5 SECONDS, GOOD EPISODE

Wait, that was the last episode? Could've fooled me, didn't feel like it.

Theonik

My only "concern" is that I have the feeling that I missed something important. The series is hard to follow, I don't know when is talking of the past or the present, and I have the feeling there is more than what I got about the argument and characters.
That's because the events in the series are told out of order. The chronological order of episodes should be pretty obvious actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom