• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin 11 END

And so everything was resolved by Tensai's best girl powers. That's our Tensai!

This felt like a fairly satisfying cutoff point for this season, but it certainly left me feeling like I wanted more. A quick look suggests that the anime covered the first three of a total seven novels so far (eight if you count the Tensai spinoff), so it seems likely there's enough material for another season. Here's hoping we get one at some point.

Narag

Ping Pong 11 FIN

NIpacivl.jpg

What an immensely satisfying conclusion. Enjoyed how prominent the characters became over the sport in that second half. Sure it'd been done before but not quite so overtly.

===

My current AOTY rankings look like this:

1. Ping Pong
  2. GBF
  3. GBF S2
  4. ???
  5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
  6. ??
  7. ??
  8. ??
  9. ??
  10. ??

Why didn't they just use an emp on the NerveGear to disable all the electronics
So none of the NerveGear engineers wondered why there was a goddamned high-power capacitor in the unit (the only thing that could 'fry' a brain quicker than you could force it off)
None of the NerveGear schematics were read to determine with the worlds greatest minds how to stop the kill-signal from being sent/disabling the battery

So everyone's doing this hand to hand combat requiring a ping of 0 playing over public internet and latency is never an issue
Maybe Kirito was the best goddamned thing since sliced bread because he was the closest one to the Server?

So everyone knows who did it, and what game it is, yet the server is never siezed, and the dev team never made to push an update that grants God Mode to all players until they get the situation worked out

Ping Pong 11 FIN

What an immensely satisfying conclusion. Enjoyed how prominent the characters became over the sport in that second half. Sure it'd been done before but not quite so overtly.

===

My current AOTY rankings look like this:

1. Ping Pong
  2. GBF
  3. GBF S2
  4. ???
  5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
  6. ??
  7. ??
  8. ??
  9. ??
  10. ??

but gbf s2 hasnt even aired yet, aldnoah.zero could be the more definitive mecha.

So everyone's doing this hand to hand combat requiring a ping of 0 playing over public internet and latency is never an issue
So everyone knows who did it, and what game it is, yet the server is never siezed, and the dev team never made to push an update that grants God Mode to all players until they get the situation worked out

You're trippin me out man, I lost track of what year it was for second

but gbf s2 hasnt even aired yet.

It's enough that it exists.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Maybe Kirito was the best goddamned thing since sliced bread because he was the closest one to the Server?

Kirito is the chosen one even the system and villain appoint him as that (something about having the highest speed thing)

Jarmel

Banned
Nananana-fin

Ugh, as much as I like Tensai I really don't want another season of this. Also Tensai took the idiot stick this episode. Like why not
shoot him with the rubber bullet gun?

All in all, this show felt really trope-ish in the worst ways despite there being some interesting elements to it. It really didn't do anything interesting with the setup or characters and just meandered for the most part.

Soma

Ping Pong Episode 11 End

T4kNLlT.png

Me right now.

Fucking beautiful show.

I hate to sound like a fanboy but it's only halfway through the year and I can't see anything surpassing this (it'd be nice to be surprised though).

Based Yuasa. Based Matsumoto.

Caesnd

I think Gundam Build Fighters 2 has the potential to be even better than the first season. They now have a lot of experience with the template and they really have all eyes on them, so I think we could be in for something truly special.

Jarmel

Banned
I think Gundam Build Fighters 2 has the potential to be even better than the first season. They now have a lot of experience with the template and they really have all eyes on them, so I think we could be in for something truly special.

Or they fuck it up like pretty much every major Gundam/Sunrise sequel of late.

cajunator

Banned
That's because the author claimed that the stories and style of Yotsuba&! are not well-suited for anime. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-04/yotsuba&creator-kiyohiko-azuma-addresses-anime-rumors

This also means any chance of seeing Yoshitoshi ABe's Ryuushika Ryuushika as an anime probably won't happen either seeing as it's quite similar to Yotusba&!'s storytelling.

This makes me sad. Yostuba& has such pleasing artwork and I just know it would be really adorable animated. Cant go against the own creators wishes though.

So I tried that Gargantia web game for a bit.

http://fly.gargantia.jp/

The actual flying game isn't too much -- just a basic "follow the path through the rings" thing for now -- but the story/VN part of it is pretty neat. There's quite a lot of the brand-new, fully voiced dialogue (even with a couple branching choices that, admittedly, only affect the next handful of lines) and it's definitely worth a couple runs through if you enjoyed the show.

I'll look forward to when they release the next part.

The story stuff is meh but Im a little bit ADHD so I couldnt concentrate anyway. I like the flying though.

I hear a lot of people like to pretend the second season of Darker Than Black doesn't exist. Just how bad is it? I really enjoyed the first season.

It has Suou which to some is everything good about it and to others everything bad about it. I side with the former.

Its weird. That was part of what turned me off. Which makes no sense given I continued watching Onii-sama, If her flag breaks, and Kawaii Complex.

Yeah I dunno why but that kinda thing doesnt even bother me anymore. Ive seen a lot of anime though. I just see it and Im like "of course theyd do that" and then I move on to squeeing at the cuteness.

Heh. I liked it too. Though I preferred Aishiteruze Baby in terms of guys having to be parental figures shows. Even if the animation is low budget.

Aishiteruze Baby is good even though it has no budget but its every bit as sweet and cute as Usagi Drop. The only thing that always sticks out to me though is onigiri.

Tableflip emoji here. lol

This is where someone says the whole series is like that.

I mean, if you're not interested in the psychological realism being depicted, then it's just a show with good animation at some point.

Im interested in the psychological realism of Misaki. By far the best and most interesting girl in the show. I will always stand by this.

But it's the best show...

Chaika best! Ducky approve! Cute!

No Game No Life 11

*Panties get removed from 11 year old character* Oh boy, you sure do make me want to drop you, NGNL. I think I will next time something like that happens. It can be an entertaining show but it's incredibly repulsive when it does shit like that. The incest stuff is pretty bad too. Not SAO or Mahouka bad but pretty bad.

again, this sorta thing just gets glossed over when I watch anime.
I acknowledge it happened and then just move on to the rest of the show.
Not even surprised.

Gun >> Die anytime for me.

I'm not haters of any, but Rika is clearly the most interesting pick.

Rikka is easily the best Haganai. Way above the others. Maybe Kobato comes close with her chuuni complex.

This right here is the difference between a self-respecting individual and the people who continue to watch Black Bullet! Come on AnimeGAF. You're better than that! Stop watching pandering garbage! :(

I watch a little bit of everything though. Anime is just entertainment. Any anime is as entertaining as any other.

She's the only character with any real personality. If the rest of the characters were as well done as her, maybe I would've liked the show.

Watch Planetes.

I second, third, fourth this as necessary. Its reaaaaallly good.

He didn't even use 3D cameras for Gravity! Fraud!!!! Lol.

Gravity was a gorgeous show with a shitty story. I still like it but I wasnt super amazed like I was hoping.

Watched 3 episodes of Basquash.
Pretty awesome and interesting mech ish sport anime, love the drive and the action in the anime. Plot is not the best, but action covers that.

Ive been interested to watch Basquash for years but never got around to it. Is it streaming anywhere?

Why am I being judged for watching black bullet and enjoying the over the top plot and yet you can continue watching soul eater not? I am tired of being persecuted. I see the internet as a place I can be honest about who I really am, and whenever somebody insults a show I l- Pfffffff I'm just fucking with you.

But I do enjoy the show especially when lolis die. Which is like most episodes.

You monster :( I really hate it when that happens in a show. Hate it so much.

Blue Chaika is worst Chaika. She doesn't even have broken Chaika-speech. :(

Thats disappointing. But at least theres the other two.
Cant wait to see what she looks like.

I think it'll be pretty hard to top some of the episodes in the first season, but it's doable.
I just hope there's better fights throughout the entire thing, my only complaint is that the fights dropped in quality in the second half.

Noooooooooo

What a great nod to the fandom that'd be!

That made me spit out my drink, thanks

Caesnd

I suppose it depends on what aspects of Gundam Build Fighters they decide to focus on. If they just play it straight then I really can't fathom any conceivable way for them to fail.

Although I have a feeling that whenever I get overly optimistic about anything I tend to jinx it. It has happened way too many times in recent memory for me to be comfortable thinking about it.

Chaika-11

Chaika is absolutely useless in this show.
Oh that Frederica scene was dead hilarious btw.

Ugh, seriously.

Hitsugi no Chaika - 11

Okay episode, a lot people sang praises for this episode, so after watching it myself, I was somewhat disappointed. But yeah the only two characters worth shit so far are Toru and Akari. Vivi is horrible, and Gilette is hilariously dumb.

I want Red Chaika and her group back.

Caesnd

I think it'll be pretty hard to top some of the episodes in the first season, but it's doable.
I just hope there's better fights throughout the entire thing, my only complaint is that the fights dropped in quality in the second half.

I don't know. I don't think it's hard to figure out what made some of the fights as good as they were. If they were to focus less on just one protagonist I think the formula would be much improved, since there would be less need for repetitious encounters.

Actually, I would like the studio behind this to make an SRW-like anime. Or maybe I don't. I don't know if I could take that...

Jarmel

Banned
One noitaminA season ends, another one gears up its PR!

Terror in Resonance now has a full page devoted to its soundtrack, with some striking cover art and - more importantly - several clips. No OP or ED on the album, but it sounds like vintage Kanno.

There also appears to be some kind of tie-in with the Japanese branch of MENSA, called "A Challenge from SPHINX". The video advert for it is currently region locked, but essentially it seems to be some kind of brain teaser quiz that will be set after each episode with prizes (probably awful ones, but there you go).

My major worry with this show is the script. I don't know if Watanabe is up to being the lead scriptwriter for a show like this.

Oh and whether MAPPA can pump out an entire show as the visual level displayed in the trailers.

Acosta

Date a Live 9.10

Ah, that was fun. I fully approve emo-
Tohka
but it was gone way too fast. The "darling" thing at the end was funny.

Looking for that movie, it's supposed to be a continuation of the series or something new? I guess we will see a S3, right?

Now I will have to watch Ping Pong now you all gushing about it :p I left it in Ep 5 (but I kinda liked that episode more than others, so I maybe it will be a turning point for me, let´s see.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah summer anime preview is out on randomc

I will definitely watch

Probably watch

Give these a try

The idol shows I'll check out at my own leisure and watch if I like them

I have yet to finish this seasons batch but I already see a few shows. Its going to be a wait and see thing for me though.

This is actually cheaper than Rightstuf. Ill have to take this offer.

It's been a long while since I watch Hyouka but I'm likely to be wrong on a few things.

Mayaka rubs me the wrong way because other than liking Satoshi, throughout the whole show she does almost nothing but criticised, doubts,insults Oreki and that was it. The school festival and Valentine's day did nothing for her development and the Valentine's arc was more of Satoshi's instead.

Oreki, Satoshi and Chintanda(?) all have something going on for them in the past/present and able to progress in some way whereas Mayaka is still stuck somewhere which is why I believe she is the weakest link in the series.

Mayaka is fucking useless and the worst. Nobody likes her.

I think I'm going to rewatch NGNL from yesterday because of Jibril.

Jibril is amazing. I want a figure of her and I wont take no for an answer.

I have a bit of a question regarding SAO, so apparently if you die in the game your brain doesn't get instantly fried. So then what prevents someone from ripping off the headgear immediately if there is a delay of a minute essentially?

Dont insert logic into a show where it doesnt belong. Also I would have probably at least labelled this series mediocre if it hadnt completely thrown that whole idea away in the middle of it. Its all so stupid its one of the few series that legitimately makes me rage.

No Game No Life 11

Amazing OP 10/10. Was really fun seeing the whole fps battle take place, but dam that last loli shot was pretty repulsive.

Jibril still reamins the best thing about the show.

I think its pretty clear now that Jibril is the best everything in NGNL.

I finished with Humanity Has Declined.

It was a lovely trip, awesome art, adorable fairies and a great protagonist. I said before but I loved that combination of cynicism and kindness and her internal monologues. And yes, the OP is awesome.

My only "concern" is that I have the feeling that I missed something important. The series is hard to follow, I don't know when is talking of the past or the present, and I have the feeling there is more than what I got about the argument and characters.

For example

I didn't understand the ending, did they try to pull a "this was just a dream"? I got a bit confused about it

And the most important thing:

WHY THE PROTAGONIST DOESN'T HAVE A NAME? :(
As for highlights, the one when she arrived to the isolated island with the fairies was one of the ones I most enjoyed. The one when
they get into a manga and must make it work creating new plots
was awesome too. And I was shocked at the one with the
the temporal loop
is one clear example of something I felt I didn't fully understand.

Anyway, I am really glad of having watched this.

This show brings me endless joy and confusion. Ive seen it several times and still trying to make sense of some things. Its probably ambiguous on purpose.

I dunno man, when I picture every poster they're a combination of their avatar and their username!

I actually posted a picture of me in here.

So none of the NerveGear engineers wondered why there was a goddamned high-power capacitor in the unit (the only thing that could 'fry' a brain quicker than you could force it off)
None of the NerveGear schematics were read to determine with the worlds greatest minds how to stop the kill-signal from being sent/disabling the battery

Again, there would be ways to do it but for the interest of furthering a plot point that the author barely cares about himself, all solutions were rendered meaningless.

wait, there's going to be a Gundam Build Fighters 2?

It's the only Gundam anime I've watched and I LOVED it, I'm excited.

Hell yeah there is. Im still in the middle of S1 but loved it so far. It really is angelic Layer with Gundams. And then theres Aila and China. The show is pure joy.

trejo

I usually dont like discussing this, but its not exactly incest, Shiro is adopted. Something they have touched up on a couple of times now in the show. Her being 11 years old is another matter all together.

Using the "not actually blood related" defense is pretty much on the same level as using the "actually 1000 years old demon/dragon/thing" defense.

cnet128

Banned

Kayaba Akihiko is the SAO world's greatest mind. He almost single-handedly developed the whole NerveGear technology. Sure, it still takes maybe a little suspension of belief to accept that he was able to develop a foolproof system that no other scientist in the world was able to overcome, but I think a little suspension of belief is reasonable considering this is the central premise of the series you're questioning.

"Just use an EMP" isn't necessarily a foolproof solution. I believe it's possible to insulate things against EMPs even with today's technology, so it's not that hard to imagine that with his significantly more advanced technology Kayaba would be able to build the NerveGear to resist such measures for the matter of seconds it would take to deliver the kill.

As for the high-power capacitor or whatever, I don't pretend to be an expert on technology or anything, but this is a sci-fi series that takes place in a future in which machines can feed information directly into your brain, which sounds potentially pretty dangerous by itself. I don't find it that difficult to accept that the guy who invented that technology would be able to design the equipment to also have the ability to cause fatal damage to the brain.

The series is set in a future where technology has progressed to the point where a fully-immersive virtual reality MMO that feeds directly into your brain has become possible. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that their internet has become a little more advanced than ours too. It seems like a given that latency has been wildly reduced, or such a game wouldn't be remotely possible in the first place, so presumably it's been reduced to the point where human reaction times are the bigger bottleneck.

The "dev team" is Kayaba. Sure, there were other people involved in the development, but he was the leader, and presumably after he set his plan in motion he wasn't idiot enough to allow anyone else to have access, let alone start pushing out updates.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think I recall the server was never seized because Kayaba went into hiding in a secret facility, and nobody was able to actually locate him or the server. The fact that nobody was able to locate the server despite all these people being connected to it over the internet is perhaps the most tenuous part of the equation, but not completely out of the realm of possibility in a sci-fi world.

Even if the location of the servers was public knowledge, though, it's easy to imagine ways for Kayaba to prevent them from simply being seized. He'd just have to threaten to send out a kill signal to all the SAO players if anyone tried.

cajunator

Banned
Kayaba Akihiko is the SAO world's greatest mind. He almost single-handedly developed the whole NerveGear technology. Sure, it still takes maybe a little suspension of belief to accept that he was able to develop a foolproof system that no other scientist in the world was able to overcome, but I think a little suspension of belief is reasonable considering this is the central premise of the series you're questioning.

"Just use an EMP" isn't necessarily a foolproof solution. I believe it's possible to insulate things against EMPs even with today's technology, so it's not that hard to imagine that with his significantly more advanced technology Kayaba would be able to build the NerveGear to resist such measures for the matter of seconds it would take to deliver the kill.

As for the high-power capacitor or whatever, I don't pretend to be an expert on technology or anything, but this is a sci-fi series that takes place in a future in which machines can feed information directly into your brain, which sounds potentially pretty dangerous by itself. I don't find it that difficult to accept that the guy who invented that technology would be able to design the equipment to also have the ability to cause fatal damage to the brain.

The series is set in a future where technology has progressed to the point where a fully-immersive virtual reality MMO that feeds directly into your brain has become possible. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that their internet has become a little more advanced than ours too. It seems like a given that latency has been wildly reduced, or such a game wouldn't be remotely possible in the first place, so presumably it's been reduced to the point where human reaction times are the bigger bottleneck.

The "dev team" is Kayaba. Sure, there were other people involved in the development, but he was the leader, and presumably after he set his plan in motion he wasn't idiot enough to allow anyone else to have access, let alone start pushing out updates.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think I recall the server was never seized because Kayaba went into hiding in a secret facility, and nobody was able to actually locate him or the server. The fact that nobody was able to locate the server despite all these people being connected to it over the internet is perhaps the most tenuous part of the equation, but not completely out of the realm of possibility in a sci-fi world.

Even if the location of the servers was public knowledge, though, it's easy to imagine ways for Kayaba to prevent them from simply being seized. He'd just have to threaten to send out a kill signal to all the SAO players if anyone tried.

The shitty part of this whole assfuckery is that it ISNT the central premise and it just gets thrown out like the interesting character in the show. It ended up just being another asspull of many.

cnet128

Banned
The shitty part of this whole assfuckery is that it ISNT the central premise and it just gets thrown out like the interesting character in the show. It ended up just being another asspull of many.

Just because the series moves on and explores other things (which I don't think should be seen as a negative) doesn't change the fact that this is the whole initial premise. I think it's reasonable to expect some measure of suspension of disbelief during the initial setup of a soft sci-fi story. If people only wrote stories about situations that could be realistically expected to happen in real life, fiction would be much more boring.

Besides, it's not like this premise suddenly becomes irrelevant after the Aincrad arc is over. It's just as relevant in the ALO arc, since
people are still being held captive using Nerve Gears by a colleague of Kayaba's
, and the ongoing effects of Kayaba's technology, research and questionable ideals are a theme that stays relevant throughout the series.

cajunator

Banned
Just because the series moves on and explores other things (which I don't think should be seen as a negative) doesn't change the fact that this is the whole initial premise. I think it's reasonable to expect some measure of suspension of disbelief during the initial setup of a soft sci-fi story. If people only wrote stories about situations that could be realistically expected to happen in real life, fiction would be much more boring.

Besides, it's not like this premise suddenly becomes irrelevant after the Aincrad arc is over. It's just as relevant in the ALO arc, since
people are still being held captive using Nerve Gears by a colleague of Kayaba's
, and the ongoing effects of Kayaba's technology, research and questionable ideals are a theme that stays relevant throughout the series.

I dont buy it. Its still one of the worst series to come out in a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom