• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
10/10

Currently marathoning SAO. What. A. Show. God bless Reki Kawahara and his creative mind. Truly a visionary.

WdXgl7r.gif

Mokoi

Banned
It's like a modern-day Shakespeare.

I haven't watched it.

Modern day shakespeare alright. Also don't watch it.

“I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret. - Kirito”

“We definitely don't exist just for the sake of welcoming death someday; I believe we live for the sake of living on." —Kazuto Kirigaya "Kirito" (Sword Art Online)”

“There's no one who can't fight! There are only those who give up on fighting!”
―

source- Reki Kawahara aka Truly a visionary.

I don't understand...

Above

10/10

Currently marathoning SAO. What. A. Show. God bless Reki Kawahara and his creative mind. Truly a visionary.

Others may be baited by your troll, but I won't be

I'll just go troll myself

Soul Eater Not 6

Well... that was actually pretty decent, watching moe girls get wrecked by Liz and Patty was great. Watching Tsugumi try to moe her way into their cold hearts was also enjoyable and a nice way to show how the Thompsons got from where they started in their origin story from SE to how they became who they were in the present time of that series.

The ending also felt straight out of SE with a real plot seemingly underway

Clov

Certainly stranger things have happened!

That's true! For example, I never expected Mononoke (2007) to get a release in North America at all. Now, some company called Cinedigm is releasing it over here on DVD this July. Came out of nowhere!

jman2050

You will be lucky to get out of this thread alive.

Oh please, the Onodera contingent are a bunch of paper tigers. cajun wouldn't hurt a fly, Pshyco is like an annoying chihuahua, all bark and no bite, and I know I could take cnet in a fight as long as I can throw a volume of Comic LO in his direction to distract him and there's no one else of note to even consider.

My position is definitely secure, of that I'm sure!

Soma

Oh please, the Onodera contingent are a bunch of paper tigers. cajun wouldn't hurt a fly, Pshyco is like an annoying chihuahua, all bark and no bite, and I know I could take cnet in a fight as long as I can throw a volume of Comic LO in his direction to distract him and there's no one else of note to even consider.

My position is definitely secure, of that I'm sure!
STOFWp6.png

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hunter x Hunter (2011) 21-25

So Gon's special power is to let people beat the shit out of him until they get bored and give him his way. I was definitely not looking forward to a protracted rescue arc immediately coming off of a twenty-episode introduction, so I appreciate that it was mercifully brief. Not every character introduced as part of a group of antagonists has to fight; who knew? Unfortunately, it still had an episode whose synopsis could accurately be summarized as "Gon and friends push on a door until it opens."

There's a training arc next, because Luffy really wants to defeat Buggy the Clown.

jgminto

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 21-25

So Gon's special power is to let people beat the shit out of him until they get bored and give him his way. I was definitely not looking forward to a protracted rescue arc immediately coming off of a twenty-episode introduction, so I appreciate that it was mercifully brief. Not every character introduced as part of a group of antagonists has to fight; who knew? Unfortunately, it still had an episode whose synopsis could accurately be summarized as "Gon and friends push on a door until it opens."

There's a training arc next, because Luffy really wants to defeat Buggy the Clown.

Don't you talk shit about Hisoka.

jman2050

I haven't really been watching new anime at all for reasons so I feel like I want to mix it up a bit and hatewatch something on purpose for a change. What's the stupidest nonsense this season has mustered?

I'm leaning towards WIXOSS but suggestions are welcome.

cnet128

Banned
I know I could take cnet in a fight as long as I can throw a volume of Comic LO in his direction to distract him

Oh, come on, who's going to be tempted by physical ero-media in the modern age. With the internet at our fingertips, we're swimming in the stuff.

(...okay, I might still be distracted for an instant.)

I haven't really been watching new anime at all for reasons so I feel like I want to mix it up a bit and hatewatch something on purpose for a change. What's the stupidest nonsense this season has mustered?

No Game No Life is the best anime of this season

Probably Brynhidlrlrlrlr or M3. Hear a lot of good/bad things about WIXOSS too

Clov

Out of what I'm watching, Black Bullet is the worst I think.

Perhaps I should be more specific, I'm looking for something generally considered to be bad, that show seems good.

I already saw the first episode and thought it was... okay. I'm immunized to Shaft shenanigans anyway so that's not quite what I'm looking for!

Ahh I didn't read it fully, my bad not your fault. In that case Mahouka and Black Bullet

Superflat

Perhaps I should be more specific, I'm looking for something generally considered to be bad, that show seems good.

Brynhildr is the closest thing. It's so bad that it's sorta enjoyable to the point that it's actually irredeemably bad and unfulfilling. It's akin to a Syfy original. Don't nobody come out of it for the better.

cajunator

Banned

Brynhildr seems fitting

Midonin

Kamisama Kazoku 11-13 + Final Thoughts

From my research, I can tell this adapted the first three novels of the series. Just enough to fit within the limits of a one cour series. In some ways, it's like a lot of romcoms, but in plenty of other ways, it's unique. Tenko and Samataro may still be working on being honest with each other - and Tenko's a pretty good distillation of both tsundere and childhood friend in one package - but the show was really all about them, even moreso than the titular family. Meme was pretty cute, but the family was really secondary to the young love going on. The way Shinichi and Ai kinda sorta became a couple was also an angle I don't see taken very often, and making it all about a family of gods also allowed it to play freely with the rules.

It never quite got as heavy theologically as Kyousogiga. Probably the most notable moment was the conclusion of the Ai arc, where Samataro's dad explains how Tanabata functions for them, mostly it was comedy. Not the most spectacular entry in the romcom genre, but I found it easy to get into, and I liked the art design. OP and ED were both good, even if the show leaned on the OP theme for its BGM a bit too much. The Kumiko arc's conclusion has some implications for more episodes, but that's what the "read the novels" pitch for this sort of show is.

I was entertained.

Man and God have both been seen, but coming next? I'll add Machine. (Demonbane's next for the backlog.)

jgminto

It's also an introduction to one of the most interesting and creative power systems ever made in a Shounen.

Also Hisoka is awesome.

Ehh it's not really that interesting. The fights don't really benefit from it later on. It feels like it just turns into enhanced punching or a special move. I don't think they've really done anything interesting with it since Yorknew.

Articalys

Oricon total sales rankings for light novel series in the first half of 2014 (tracking Dec. 2 2013 to May 26 2014):

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-24356.html
http://www.oricon.co.jp/entertainment/ranking/2014/bookrank0602/index26.html
1) Kagerou Days -- 814,638
2) Mahouka -- 651,405
3) SAO -- 592,669
4) Monogatari Series -- 519,732
5) Oregairu -- 487,397
6) SAO Progressive -- 331,987
7) Index NT -- 318,987
8) Kuroko's Basketball Replace -- 281,325
9) No Game No Life -- 255,348 (Kadokawa published)
10) Date A Live -- 243,659
11) Strike The Blood -- 243,652
12) Log Horizon -- 236,474
13) Hataraku Maou-sama -- 204,995
14) BakaTest -- 190,718
15) Black Bullet -- 178,055
16) Hidan no Aria -- 171,115
17) Tokyo Ravens -- 169,136
18) No Game No Life -- 168,701 (Media Factory published)
19) Nourin -- 149,621
20) Accel World -- 144,263
Apparently NGNL is on there twice because it technically switched publishers or something between its fourth and fifth volumes, causing their sales to get counted separately by Oricon. So if you combine them you get a total of 424,049, putting it in sixth place just below Oregairu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom