• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

The Wind Rises
Let's start with the two obvious points. I actually loved Anno's performance in this. The sound effects were right weird though and I didn't really 'get' the need for them to be done in this way.

With that out of the way, I really liked this film. It was gorgeous as you would expect from a Ghibli theatrical feature. The music was also very pleasing as one would again expect.

Direction wise, this was a pretty solid film and most of the content was given the appropriate time to breathe. And while it was meant to be based on a real figure it's pretty clear that Miyazaki doesn't care lol.
Would I see it again? Probably, while I'm still more excited about seeing Kaguya-hime, it's definitely the best thing Miyazaki's done in the last 10 years however.

cajunator

Banned
You don't have to self insert to be entertained by this. I'm getting tired of unnecessary drama in a romance. Like do the writers not thing that good character writing and realistic issues are not good enough to let the show be good?

But nothing I'm tired more of than anime's need to add moe girls to something and make a show out of it.

Battleship? Add moe girls

Giant robots? Add moe girls

A bloody war showing the most disgusting habits of mankind, with gore and blood and guts everywhere that is a social commentary on what the true nature of humanity is? Add moe girls

Nah that part is AOK.

Miss Monochrome 13

tArmpDp.jpg

Some goals achieved and a new fan gained.

Another one of these short shows. I quite like this one though. It's a bit weird but still funny. Hm... I guess the humor is kind of dry or even... monchrome? :p

Anyway... I give it 4/5 Ru-chans:
vAZSbP0.png
vAZSbP0.png
vAZSbP0.png
vAZSbP0.png
f70ys5c.png

There might be a slight Yui Horie and Kikuko Inoue bias in this score too

You know what, I really really like the CGI openings of Jojo.

Wish there was a game with graphics like that. That also didn't suck.

Captain Earth 8

Yes Captain Earth this is what you're supposed to do, if you're gonna have incomprehensible technobabble and stupid plot at least give us the decency of a pretty mech battle at the end to keep us coming back.

Jarmel

Banned
So I'm gonna have to take some stuff back about what I've said about Sawano. I'll go into lengths a bit later.

cajunator

Banned
Miss Monochrome 13

Some goals achieved and a new fan gained.

Another one of these short shows. I quite like this one though. It's a bit weird but still funny. Hm... I guess the humor is kind of dry or even... monchrome? :p

Anyway... I give it 4/5 Ru-chans:
vAZSbP0.png
vAZSbP0.png
vAZSbP0.png
vAZSbP0.png
f70ys5c.png

There might be a slight Yui Horie and Kikuko Inoue bias in this score too

Its one of my favorite short series. Im not particularly fond of the formal but it was a standout for me. I found it really endearing.

:D

Captain Earth how the fuck am I supposed to concentrate on your plot when you have PLOT in a bikini licking ice cream in the background?

Brynhildr in the Darkness - 09

New witch whoo, the harem grows!!!!

Nothing much to say, a few fanservice scenes but they were short enough not to detract from the show too much. That journal though, I see what he did there...

One Week Friends - 09

Oh geeze, the amnesia trope strikes again. Ah, guess I should've saw it coming but damn does it leave a sour taste in my mouth.

So the new transfer dude comes in and from what happened I'm guessing that the drama is all miscommunication, or more specifically lack of communication:
Kaori and the new dude back in childhood apparently had a promise which I assume consisted of meeting up with each other. Kaori got hit by a car and thus amnesia happened and the new dude never got told. Hence him calling Kaori a 'traitor' when he sees her again. Apparently said promise was really big as his presence hit Kaori hard resulting in fainting and losing memories of Hase (again).

But yeah very predictable and reminds me eerily of Golden Time which is not a good thing, but I guess it can't be helped since amnesia is a prominent theme in this show. Hopefully the next few episodes handle this development well as the show had for all the previous episodes so far.

And Shogo is still best bro.

cnet128

Banned
Gokukoku no Brynhildr 9

Possibly the best episode yet. Nanami is great and I really hope things work out for her.

That said, I have a horrible feeling her story isn't going to have a happy end. The cliffhanger at the end of this episode doesn't bode well, but even aside from that, I just can't see her joining the protag's team because her power is so goddamn OP that with her on their side the series might as well be over. There would be next to nothing they couldn't achieve >.>

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 3
ibcHI7bjnleQJ2.JPG
iM8eAYWajCGab.JPG

The cut from storage unit to office mid-conversation was super slick in this scene.

I'm really liking how the show's pairing up Al and Bernie. Seeing their naive, differing viewpoints put into greater focus has helped this show regain its footing. And it seems that distancing itself away from the school and Al's friends has lessened the tonal inconsistencies too.

Also, Bernie is way more competent under pressure than he lets on. Dude has the potential to be really devious.

Captain Earth 9

You're an idol who gets to run around in a bikini on a giant jumbo tron eating ice cream, nobody hates you

Well I guess if you go evil and try to blow up the planet yeah everyone is gonna hate you

<_<

Hattori

Banned
Non Non Biyori 3

Nice episode. Liked when Natsumi was picking on Komari for being scared after watching that horror movie. Sweet scene in their old hideout too.
Next Up: Best Episode

-------

Digimon Adventure 1
It's so weird watching this with subs (and on Netflix at that.)

No Game No Life 8

Jibril a best servant.

lol shota Sora and him pulling out the Yugioh cards.

Nice to see Izuna and her bad mouth finally.

Pretty disappointed with Shiro's reaction at the end. She didn't look nearly as traumatized as she was in the LN.

Jex

I lost like five paragraphs yesterday when my browser crashed and it didn't recover. I might just do a combined Ep9/Ep10 later this week :/

This is why I write my serious posts in a word editor of some sort so that they're always backed up!

This is why I write my serious posts in a word editor of some sort so that they're always backed up!

Yeah, it's always wise to write mega-long posts in a word editor than on GAF. For that reason and the dreaded accidental Tab-Enter.

Hell, one time I was writing a joke post about Ace Attorney in AnimeGAF, where the accidental Tab-Enter happened. The main problem though, was that I was continuing to write my post completley unaware of the fact that it was already posted.

Shit was embarrassing.

Seriously Captain Earth episode 8 should have been like episode 3 or 4, pace the plot something like this

Episode 1: He gets in the robot, and is confronted by sibling kiltgang

Episode 2: Mech battle, Teppei turns into his kiltgang form and all 4 are taken out

Episode 3: Race to find the other machine children begins

Would be way more condensed and a lot easier to follow

CorvoSol

Yamato 11

We now interrupt our laying it on really thick with the anti-war stuff to show you a whole lot of space cheesecake. Try not to break your neck in the mood whiplash.

No Game No Life 8

Jibril a best servant.

lol shota Sora and him pulling out the Yugioh cards.

Nice to see Izuna and her bad mouth finally.

Pretty disappointed with Shiro's reaction at the end. She didn't look nearly as traumatized as she was in the LN.

Pretty sure that's because that picture is just what will happen at the start of ep 9. ( before
jibirl tries to solve things her way
)

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, I think the format is what prevents me from scoring it any higher. Trying to use the ANN score thing :p

It has an impressive squees per minute ratio.

Yeah, it's always wise to write mega-long posts in a word editor than on GAF. For that reason and the dreaded accidental Tab-Enter.

Hell, one time I was writing a joke post about Ace Attorney in AnimeGAF, where the accidental Tab-Enter happened. The main problem though, was that I was continuing to write my post completley unaware of the fact that it was already posted.

Shit was embarrassing.

Its mega annoying writing large posts on mobile too.
On PC I definitely copy all my long posts, especially if I have links in there.

Hattori

Banned
As I'm watching Digimon Adventure right now, and it's still the best one in the franchise which got me thinking --Which anime shows in a franchise completely surpassed their predecessor?

cajunator

Banned
Yeah long post on mobile doesn't fly. I wish there was a preview post option on mobile.

Also apparently if you try to post too quickly it doesnt warn you, just fails to post. Also sometimes you multiquote and it doesnt work. It will just give a blank reply screen.
I would post a lot more if I wasnt mobile so often.

So what I gather is that I should generally stay away from MAhouka and Brynhfgdfhsdlfhlfsdlhl unless I really hate myself.
I can't speak for the anime, but Brynhildr's one of my favourite ongoing mangas. It has some cute girls, including a gothloli, so you should give it a shot. Alright, their life expectancy is a little lower than average, but I'm sure they won't all die. Maybe.

Going by the comments here, the anime's still on Nanami's arc so Hatsuna hasn't shown up yet, but she's currently tied with Kana for best girl.

Well... At least it's not Nico :p

I thought Nico would be part of best girl trio, unfortunately her forced persona she put on just turned into cringe and annoyance with only a select few scenes in the show where she is actually enjoyable, atleast she isn't Honoka though.

cajunator

Banned
I can't speak for the anime, but Brynhildr's one of my favourite ongoing mangas. It has some cute girls, including a gothloli, so you should give it a shot. Alright, their life expectancy is a little lower than average, but I'm sure they won't all die. Maybe.

Going by the comments here, the anime's still on Nanami's arc so Hatsuna hasn't shown up yet, but she's currently tied with Kana for best girl.

Well youve got my attention there.
A shame the cuties dont live very long.

Also apparently if you try to post too quickly it doesnt warn you, just fails to post. Also sometimes you multiquote and it doesnt work. It will just give a blank reply screen.
I would post a lot more if I wasnt mobile so often.

The same happens here.

I thought Nico would be part of best girl trio, unfortunately her forced persona she put on just turned into cringe and annoyance with only a select few scenes in the show where she is actually enjoyable, atleast she isn't Honoka though.

This post started out good and then it ended horribly ;P

cnet128

Banned
Love Live! S2 9

Fuck yeah that was like the perfect example of how to do a big climactic performance episode in a show like this. Family, friendship, drama, determination, tears, and above all, snow! Snow makes everything better, this is fact. Even the song itself was pretty good, and I always think the songs are the weakest part of Love Live.

Top quality stuff.

Articalys

The Haikyuu OST itself is good, but it's the way they use it in the show that's really great. Is it just the sound director(s) who are in charge of that sort of thing, or other people too?

Mokoi

Banned

Woah! liking Nico over Honoka
YQj6oKQ.gif

Yu gi oh arc v 6

Well the kid was a way better duelist then he first let on, thankfully Pendulum monsters are BS and have whatever power the plot needs them to so Yuuya can still win. Guess I can't bitch cause that's just par for the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom