• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

You know, I just realized, even though there are four shows this season with some varying amount of incest, Game of Thrones is clearly the incest-winner this season. The fact that it has gotten millions of people and legitimate critics talking about incest as some kind of normalized act (ie, they all like Jaime so the incest is fine!) is hilarious to me.

That is a gross mischaracterisation of the reactions to Jaime's incest, and incest in Game of Thrones in general. Incest in Game of Thrones is not only taboo but a sign of degradation; our introduction to Jaime and Cersei at the beginning of the series makes this very clear. Where are you seeing it regarded as "normalised" and "fine"?

Regardless of that, Jaime and Cersei are at least given characterisations that extend beyond their incestuous love. The lead female in Mahouka, for instance, exists for no other reason than to fulfil an audience incest fantasy. The show's photography invites the audience to leer over her as she comes on to her brother and, by extension, the audience. She is defined almost exclusively through him because that's what the audience wants. I see this as very different from Game of Thrones; yes, the show sells itself at least partly on its sexual content, but tonally it is very, very different.

phaze

if you're not enjoying the stupid writing or the action, you might want to stop as it only gets worst (for me in a good way) from here on out. It's like the perfect example of why so many japanese people write light novels. I don't think these could pass for real novels.

Then again, Twilight. And vampire baseball.

Yeah my morbid curiosity got the best of me so far but I'm one step from calling it a day.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That is a gross mischaracterisation of the reactions to Jaime's incest, and incest in Game of Thrones in general. Incest in Game of Thrones is not only taboo but a sign of degradation; our introduction to Jaime and Cersei at the beginning of the series makes this very clear. Where are you seeing it regarded as "normalised" and "fine"?

Regardless of that, Jaime and Cersei are at least given characterisations that extend beyond their incestuous love. The lead female in Mahouka, for instance, exists for no other reason than to fulfil an audience incest fantasy. The show's photography invites the audience to leer over her as she comes on to her brother and, by extension, the audience. She is defined almost exclusively through him because that's what the audience wants. I see this as very different from Game of Thrones; yes, the show sells itself at least partly on its sexual content, but tonally it is very, very different.

This is a show here dude rapes his sister beside the corpse of his incest-baby. I just think it's funny trying to see people do the mental gymnastics required to resolve that stuff and the "fun" Jaime that they see hanging out with Tyrion.
Heck, after all the outcry from that rape scene, it was all forgotten and the finale is the greatest thing ever and so forth.
Hell, you're supposed to see the incest as a point of pride in the finale based on Cersei's final interaction with Tywin!

You know, I just realized, even though there are four shows this season with some varying amount of incest, Game of Thrones is clearly the incest-winner this season. The fact that it has gotten millions of people and legitimate critics talking about incest as some kind of normalized act (ie, they all like Jaime so the incest is fine!) is hilarious to me.

It only makes me wonder how ANN would review it if they treated it like anime, especially since I get the feeling that they probably all love the show there. lol

firehawk, we had this discussion a while back on this.

Madoka Magica 06

TqjbWyH.jpg

Some interesting stuff about the Soul Gems gets revealed. Stuff Kyoko didn't know about? Strange. Will this reveal improve relations or will they still fight eachother though. Oh, and Kyubey seems to really want Madoka to become a magical girl...

Jarmel

Banned
This is a show here dude rapes his sister beside the corpse of his incest-baby. I just think it's funny trying to see people do the mental gymnastics required to resolve that stuff and the "fun" Jaime that they see hanging out with Tyrion.
Heck, after all the outcry from that rape scene, it was all forgotten and the finale is the greatest thing ever and so forth.
Hell, you're supposed to see the incest as a point of pride in the finale based on Cersei's final interaction with Tywin!

Ugh. As a book reader, that scene pained me because of how badly the
sex scene next to Joffrey was
, the really directors fucked it up.

Also no it wasn't a
moment of pride or anything, it was Cersei taking a shit on Tywin. It has less to do with the act in of itself but rather Cersei pointing out how Tywin was such a godawful father despite his proclamations of family being first

Narag

This is a show here dude rapes his sister beside the corpse of his incest-baby. I just think it's funny trying to see people do the mental gymnastics required to resolve that stuff and the "fun" Jaime that they see hanging out with Tyrion.[/SPOILER]

Sounds like it's trying to carryover Jaime's presentation from the books? He's pretty much a non-character early on, mostly a douchey bogeyman, until you get into his head later with pov chapters and realize he's a fuckin' bro.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
firehawk, we had this discussion a while back on this.
Yeah, but with all the critical praise and people just accepting the incest as just another thing (along with dragons and
fireball elves
) I think it's just... "interesting".

Ugh. As a book reader, that scene pained me because of how badly the directors fucked it up.

Also no it wasn't a
moment of pride or anything, it was Cersei taking a shit on Tywin. It has less to do with the act in of itself but rather Cersei pointing out how Tywin was such a godawful father despite his proclamations of family being first
Sure, and right after she goes and
gets her onii-san to fill a hole in her... heart!

Sounds like it's trying to carryover Jaime's presentation from the books? He's pretty much a non-character early on, mostly a douchey bogeyman, until you get into his head later with pov chapters and realize he's a fuckin' bro.
Just through osmosis, he does his face turn during the whole Brianne thing and suddenly he's not a villain any more.

Of course, the internet being the internet and blaming women for everything, Cersei is still somewhat hated. lol

Jarmel

Banned

D&D aren't Yuasa. There have been numerous bad decisions in the GoT TV series, there were a number in the finale.

That said, Cersei is fucking crazy. She might have thought it was something to prideful of, because she's insane but the show never takes that stance.

Onii-sama is love. Onii-sama is life 12

Listen, onii-sama
Ain't no mountain high
Ain't no vally low
Ain't no river wide enough, onii-sama

If you need me, call me
No matter where you are
No matter how far
Just call my name
I'll be there in a hurry
If you're in my harem don't worry

'Cause onii-sama,
There ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough
Ain't no river wide enough
To keep me from Gary Stu'ing baby

firehawk12

Subete no aware
D&D aren't Yuasa. There have been numerous bad decisions in the GoT TV series, there were a number in the finale.

That said, Cersei is fucking crazy. She might have thought it was something to prideful of, because she's insane but the show never takes that stance.
Whether or not the show takes a stance is something else I guess, but I'm just more thinking of the critical and reader response. If GoT were the same, but anime (which I guess is an impossible thing to speculate on), would it get the same free pass? I'm not so sure.

Jarmel

Banned
Of course, the internet being the internet and blaming women for everything, Cersei is still somewhat hated. lol

Well Headey's shitty acting doesn't make it any easier. She also blames Tyrion for everything unlike Jaime who's a true bro to Tyrion. Then there is also the minor matter that Cersei is insane.

Jaime's only true crime in the series is chucking
Bran out that window
and considering how much I hate Bran's storyline, I wish Jaime had done a better job of it.

Damn Mike. You're really powering through Madoka. (I watched it one sitting)

Maybe I shouldn't have dropped Mahouka. I need a little Onii-sama in my life.

Yeah, but with all the critical praise and people just accepting the incest as just another thing (along with dragons and
fireball elves
) I think it's just... "interesting".

Just through osmosis, he does his face turn during the whole Brianne thing and suddenly he's not a villain any more.

Well again, that was something talked about way back when as well. I mean, as much as you say GoT makes it feel normalized, I don't think it's to the extent anime has done it, in where not only is it normalized (these days, giving who is being catered to), it isn't even treated as a taboo of sorts. GoT is like "It exists, we're not shying from it, and we'll represent it as it should be". Anime is like... well LNs mainly, is like.... they may as well not have been written by real people.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well Headey's shitty acting doesn't make it any easier. She also blames Tyrion for everything unlike Jaime who's a true bro to Tyrion. Then there is also the minor matter that Cersei is insane.

Bran out that window
and considering how much I hate Bran's storyline, I wish Jaime had done a better job of it.
In any other context, infanticide is a major crime. :p

And really, people hate Skylar also for being mentally weak and causing Walt to fail. As if she was the villain of Breaking Bad. lol

Jarmel

Banned
Whether or not the show takes a stance is something else I guess, but I'm just more thinking of the critical and reader response. If GoT were the same, but anime (which I guess is an impossible thing to speculate on), would it get the same free pass? I'm not so sure.

There aren't many anime that have that level of 'epic' storytelling and writing. We get adaptations of shitty LNs most of the time with Gary-Stus like Kirito and Mr.Perfect in Mahouka. Jaime is a somewhat deep character and has his own host of issues. Not many anime earn that level of critical analysis, KLK is a great example.

In any other context, infanticide is a major crime. :p

And really, people hate Skylar also for being mentally weak and causing Walt to fail. As if she was the villain of Breaking Bad. lol

Kid was old enough to be climbing towers. Should have listened to his mother.

Skylar is a very different issue.

Narag

No Game No Life 11

FKNNrhSl.jpg

9N0S0WQl.jpg

fuck everything

All caught up. That was probably the strongest ep, I think, certainly the most even as it were.

Anyhow, feels nice to be wrong about a show after initially dismissing it out of hand. It's really fun, well paced, funny as shit, and just good all around. Biggest complaint is obviously the fanservice but still expected it to be worse than what it was. I mean the Shiro stuff is really egregious but most other bits are usually gag related and not exactly out of line for this sort of show.

Hagi

Bran out that window

What about his cousin? Even given the situation that was fucked up.

I agree wholeheartedly with the Bran criticism his storyline is the worst thing about the show. I've yet to get past the first book but i hope it's not as drawn out and dull as they present it.

cajunator

Banned
Man I wish I could be watching anime right now. This programming test is proving to be a little tougher than I thought.

Programming scares me. I failed so hard even attempting a few courses.

The side-characters were the best thing about KLK by far.

Ryuuko ain't no Simon. She ain't even a Yoko.

Nonon is the best everything. Nui Harime is the cutest.

Sounds like hes got beef with monster of the week shows or something.

I never got around to watching any SM past the original season. I guess at this point I might as well just watch Crystal by itself because I'll get confused jumping back and forth

I feel the same way. I breezed through season one but so far R has been a rough and boring go. Ive only gotten a couple episodes in and its just blah.
If I can manage past that maybe I will enjoy SM more.

Happiness Charge TV broadcast:

Happiness Charge BDs:

The art really has taken a shit dive. wow.

I prefer scientist Honoka.

Honoka a best. No discussion.

Sorry but you're all just going to have to make room in your hearts for Hime too. You'd understand if you were watching the show!

Depressed Honoka was better.

uSUPmT0.png

That was my favorite of your avatars and it spoke to your desperation watching Max Heart. You were suffering.

The best way to experience any season really.

I don't even know whats airing next season so it will basically be 20 blind watches.

Same. Though Rail Wars is on my radar for the redhead. shes incredibly cute! I was squeeing at her since I first found Rail Wars manga art.

Okay so let me just make sure I've got all these straight

Punipuni means soft and squishy
Fuwafuwa means soft and fluffy
Mofumofu is pretty much the same as fuwafuwa but more specifically relating to tails, fur, etc.

Is that about right? Anything else I'm missing?

You are correct and what wonderful words they are. I particularly like dokidoki.

No Game No Life 5

E96pSmn.png

That battle of wits was incredible.

Gakkou Gurashi TV anime announced

Story:

TLDR:Cute girls doing cute things during a zombie apocalypse

Im ok with this! Though one of the cuties (or more) will probably die and put me in a rage.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There aren't many anime that have that level of 'epic' storytelling and writing. We get adaptations of shitty LNs most of the time with Gary-Stus like Kirito and Mr.Perfect in Mahouka. Jaime is a somewhat deep character and has his own host of issues. Not many anime earn that level of critical analysis, KLK is a great example.
The main heroes are pretty anime though. Especially John Snow and Dany. lol

Kid was old enough to be climbing towers. Should have listened to his mother.
Your hatred of the victim doesn't excuse the crime!

Skylar is a very different issue.
A different topic altogether, but I find it interesting that male characters are forgiven much easier than female characters.

Theonik

No Game No Life 11

All caught up. That was probably the strongest ep, I think, certainly the most even as it were.

Anyhow, feels nice to be wrong about a show after initially dismissing it out of hand. It's really fun, well paced, funny as shit, and just good all around. Biggest complaint is obviously the fanservice but still expected it to be worse than what it was. I mean the Shiro stuff is really egregious but most other bits are usually gag related and not exactly out of line for this sort of show.
So many mofus. I don't think I can endure this.

Jarmel

Banned
The main heroes are pretty anime though. Especially John Snow and Dany. lol
I take it you're not a book reader so this one I can't really discuss in any sort of detail. So,
they both have their own series of fuckups that are pretty major
. Also surprise, I think those are the other two worst actors in the show, Clarke being by far the worst.
Your hatred of the victim doesn't excuse the crime!
Kanye-Shrug2.jpg

A different topic altogether, but I find it interesting that male characters are forgiven much easier than female characters.

Skylar definitely had some misogyny going on even though she was also written to be antagonistic. She was 'ride or die' in the final season though.

Programming scares me. I failed so hard even attempting a few courses.

I like the challenge. You get to learn something new all the time and you get to make things that you hope many people will enjoy.

To me doing the same thing over and over again, day in and day out is boring. With programming you always get to tackle new things and walls where, when you break through, feels great.

If I can equate it to a show it would be like House. You come up against a tough problem and sometimes it takes minutes and other times (for really complex systems) can take days. But sometimes that little thing that makes you think outside the box can make you create something as good or sometimes better then you originally thought it could be. It's a super cool feeling.

As much as I said I don't get the love for Maki, there is something I'm willing to admit.

I think she has the best character design out of the Muse group.

Clov

Mushishi is the best show this season. NGNL is the second best, and only if one is able to ignore the fan service...

Close, but not quite. I think it's definitely Ping Pong, with Mushishi as the second best. A pretty close second best for me, personally. Very different shows, but both are excellent in their own way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
would it be weird to say that for me Chaika and NGNL are the winners of the season? I look forward to every new episode of these.
Yes.

I mean you could respond to me and say I can't possible imply that your own personal preference is wrong, but I can. And I'm telling you that your winner of the season is Puchimas.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 12
Well that got intense for a second there. It actually got exciting.

Haruhi is just so funny. It's great. I especially loved her reaction to being at the temple. Kyon's really grown on me. He's an alright dude. But as usual Haruhi is the life blood if this show and makes it hilarious.

Mahouka ep 12

The people love making Tatsuya do that one head turn and smile side shot, love it.

Active Air Mine technical description and display was fantastic, sounding pretty potent and looking that way too. Good description.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
would it be weird to say that for me Chaika and NGNL are the winners of the season? I look forward to every new episode of these.
These are the two I dropped after two episodes. Figures. lol

I take it you're not a book reader so this one I can't really discuss in any sort of detail. So,
they both have their own series of fuckups that are pretty major
. Also surprise, I think those are the other two worst actors in the show, Clarke being by far the worst.
I've read some of the spoilers, but I imagine when the next book rolls around in 2025, everything will work out for them. lol

Skylar definitely had some misogyny going on even though she was also written to be antagonistic. She was 'ride or die' in the final season though.
Cersei is basically like that from the start though!

cajunator

Banned
For people not watching Ping Pong, remedy this now.

FUNi put up the first 10 episodes on their YouTube channel.

No excuses. Go.

I keep confusing this show with the other Ping Pong. Seems like the same sort of show. Perhaps less pervy.

DAT Garterbelt.

Im not seeing the garterbelt. someone point it out to me.

Another watchbet with phoenix296 and this time it's:

Madoka Magica 01

Strange new transfer student, strange animal and strange places. So, pretty strange overall.

Oh now this will be fun!

You have no idea how much I want this.

Is it too much to ask for an anime where you see a happy-go-lucky couple just going around and being happy?

Slice of Life shows don't have to always focus on cute girls doing cute things you know!

You know that adorable little relationship between Sei and China in Gundam Build Fighters? Why can't I see something like that as the focus of an entire anime?!?

ADADADAHDADHADHAH-WHAT?!?!?

You never saw Madoka Magica? That's a pretty big shocker. What, did you never see TTGL too? I'd make a watchbet with you if you didn't.

Oh my god that is the cutest thing ever. I hnnng so much.

Madoka Magica 02

There's always time for tea.

Lots of explaining what's going on, and more fights against clip-art monsters witches in another labyrinth. And what would happen if one doesn't refill that Soul Gem, eh?

CLip art monsters/labyrinth is the most amazing thing about Madoka Magica. I love the art direction so much!
Its also something only the eclectic Shaft studio could really pull off.

Madoka Magica 03

Guess shit just got real. And that change in EDs. Haha.

Sayaka seems to have something obvious to wish for at least...

And NOW it truly begins.

Dragonar Academy 12

Wow, they actually went with the True CNET Ending.

This is the show with the cutie dragon loli in it right?
I forgot her name >_<

The anime I hear is not very good but theres one vey intriguing girl in it called Tarisa Manandal and shes a short haired bouncy brown girl. She seems adorable.

Madoka Magica 04

These girls should really get each-others cellphone numbers :p

Madoka seems quite traumatized, Sayaka makes that obvious wish and a new challenger appears.

best girl is coming

So I want you guys to add me on Steam. My username is (quote to see)

Gonna add you. My name on there should be obvious :)

Madoka Magica 05

The different magical girls certainly have their own ideas on how to best handle things.

It feels like some big plot point is still being kept in the dark for now.

BEST GIRL COMETH

Golden Time - 22

Why do I keep watching this show? The story is shit, the characters are bad and even the voice acting seems mediocre. I already felt like dropping this after the car accident but kept going anyway... Only 2 episodes to go, I hope I'll survive the rest :/

Everybody kind of slogged through this show. Koko made us do it because shes amazing and perfect. But the show is a mess from start to finish. It was highly disappointing.

Sounds like I should check out NGNL at some point

YES. A million times yes you should!

Do you consider chess to be a sport?

In NGNL its definitely SOMETHING. Maybe not a sport but it was special.

I just thought about it but we going to have SAO S2 and Mahouka going on at the same time.

Lord help us *draws a line in the sand.

Damn Mike. You're really powering through Madoka. (I watched it one sitting)

Maybe I shouldn't have dropped Mahouka. I need a little Onii-sama in my life.

anecdotal, but I kept bugging my friend to watch the show but since he doesnt like cuteness quite as much as me he resisted for a while. when I finally sat him down and we marathoned Madoka Magica, he proclaimed it one of the best anime he's ever seen. Keep in mind this guy is 36 and has seen a little bit of everything in anime. High praise indeed.

No Game No Life 11

I-I need to catch up with this show REALLY soon. Luckily thats going to be possible.

I like the challenge. You get to learn something new all the time and you get to make things that you hope many people will enjoy.

To me doing the same thing over and over again, day in and day out is boring. With programming you always get to tackle new things and walls where, when you break through, feels great.

If I can equate it to a show it would be like House. You come up against a tough problem and sometimes it takes minutes and other times (for really complex systems) can take days. But sometimes that little thing that makes you think outside the box can make you create something as good or sometimes better then you originally thought it could be. It's a super cool feeling.

Honestly I like challenge. Im a fuel transportation dispatch manager. Nights like last night CHALLENGED me lol. But programming is a kind of challenge my brain doesnt like. Its more structured and my chaotic brain doesnt like order. It loves disorder and mayhem.
So I cant really sit down and work out the details of a program its the worst kind of torture for me. I do agree that the feeling once I worked out how to fix a broken program was pretty good but as a living? Shoot me in the head.
Im more at home doing 30 things at one time, keeping tabs on fuel inventory, answering calls, setting up loads, talking to drivers, dealing with pissed off customers, and entering data and managing driver schedules and stuff with a bunch of pressure and deadlines to meet in a social environment. Thats how I function.

As much as I said I don't get the love for Maki, there is something I'm willing to admit.

I think she has the best character design out of the Muse group.

Maki is a cutie but Nico is my absolute favorite. shes also cuuuuuuuuute.

Rhapsody

Banned
NGNL is definitely my favorite of the season. People get annoyed at the fan service, but whatever. It's modern anime.

2nd goes to One Week Friends. Not rating JJBA since I've already read it.

Didn't watch Chaika but maybe I should.

Black Bullet I liked the manga and LN. But that was only because I read only volume 1. Once it reached volume 2 material in the anime, I've been putting it off lol
Doesn't help that the adaptation is pretty bad in terms of animation.

These are the two I dropped after two episodes. Figures. lol

It's not to late to catch up! NGNL is fun, I can't speak for Chaika.

anecdotal, but I kept bugging my friend to watch the show but since he doesnt like cuteness quite as much as me he resisted for a while. when I finally sat him down and we marathoned Madoka Magica, he proclaimed it one of the best anime he's ever seen. Keep in mind this guy is 36 and has seen a little bit of everything in anime. High praise indeed.
This was me except it was my fifth or so anime I had seen. (I only started watching last August) Someone recommended it to me and after the first two episodes I straight up asked him. "Wtf are you making me watch?" Then after the third episode everything clicked and it is now one of my favorite anime.

Maki is a cutie but Nico is my absolute favorite. shes also cuuuuuuuuute.

Yes! Nico is best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom