• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbon

This is all true, but I still agree with Basileus777 on this one. Characters having issues adjusting to a postwar society is nothing new.

edit: 2 late

Chariot

Mikakunin De Shinkoukei needs a second season because reasons
Who needs reasons. One reason is enough:

ibi8WELPwGCJe8.gif

fertygo

Shaming implies that a value judgement is being passed. I'm not passing a value judgement on the series for being otaku-bait. That doesn't bother me.

I will, however, pass judgement on it for being loli-incest-bait. That's reprehensible.
I guess that's fair, of course I can't defense that shit but sometime you just can clearly split to what viewer actually enjoy from the content, I mean the obligatory HBO's sex scene in True Dectective is obviously not what people enjoy the most from the show, is just there.

Same for otaku LN/anime, that what you get from it.. seeking that kind of element or not. Its just there. You say NGNL can be still the same without those kind of element from otaku culture.. you obviously talking about the lewd and fanservice content, I agree.. its woyld be nice if we can detract that but its also mean the content designed for that kind of media and culture, if you change chat, is NGNL still have universe breaking shiratori as one of the game, are they still playing
Gal-gun
? the animanga culture jokes references? that's some point that people like from the show, and its safe to say the show only have it because the packaging designed for certain demographic.
You're right, not every generic, otaku-trope filled show sells well.

However, there are plenty of crappy, otaku-trope filled shows that do sell very well on the back of being otaku-bait.

Yeah, I don't deny that tough?
But there's always selection process even in that crowd. You can't expect XEBEC making gangbuster sales even with slapping all kind of incest, boob and ass with their minimal effort.

Theonik

Sketchbook Full Colors - 1-7
I'm a bit conflicted about a few things in Sketchbook. There are aspects of it that make me think it could be a really great healing anime, but the more I watch, the more it becomes an ensemble cast comedy.
There is one answer to this. More Hidamari!

Chariot

All nerd protagonists should be like the girl from Watamote.
Jesus Christ!
I hated Watamote. A friend of mine hyped the show beforehand and I was pretty patient with it, but it was very unsettling to watch her. As my hope for development was shattered by another friend I dropped it against the wall like a frog.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watamote is a great starting point to becoming a better person. Unfortunately, it never happens.
I think it's something special to see someone just wallow in their nerdy insecurities. It just serves as a great counterpoint to the other end of the spectrum that we get with nerd shows.

Besides, it's not like we'll ever get more Aku no Hana anyway.

Thank god you're not in charge of anything.
Jesus Christ!
I hated Watamote. A friend of mine hyped the show beforehand and I was pretty patient with it, but it was very unsettling to watch her. As my hope for development was shattered by another friend I dropped it against the wall like a frog.
See, this is why she was good!

jgminto

I don't know why people were expecting her to change. Changing who you are is fucking hard, especially when you're a dumb teenager.

Chariot

I think it's something special to see someone just wallow in their nerdy insecurities. It just serves as a great counterpoint to the other end of the spectrum that we get with nerd shows.

It'S something special, alright. It was supposed to be funny, but I found the show very depressing. We have a girl that is socially disconnected from society and want to rejoin it, but she just can't. Every attemp fails and she has to see how her friend is not only successful in her dream, but also able to keep the nerdfun. I felt like watching a show entirely about Shinji and his miserable life.
I don't know why people were expecting her to change. Changing who you are is fucking hard, especially when you're a dumb teenager.
Actually teenager tend to change more than, say, adults, I think. Btu that's not the point. It's a show and it could tell a story about somebody who learns a bit late how to fit into society.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It'S something special, alright. It was supposed to be funny, but I found the show very depressing. We have a girl that is socially disconnected from society and want to rejoin it, but she just can't. Every attemp fails and she has to see how her friend is not only successful in her dream, but also able to keep the nerdfun. I felt like watching a show entirely about Shinji and his miserable life.
You're German though! You should be able to appreciate the schadenfreude. lol
It's really a problem of being too inside her own head, which causes her to defeat herself before she even tries. It's a depressing endless cycle, because she spirals back to her husbandos every time she fails, but there's something to be said about the fact that she tries.

I just like the fact that say, unlike TWGOK, she doesn't automatically learn social skills because she's played hundreds of dating sims.

Chariot

You're German though! You should be able to appreciate the schadenfreude. lol
That's racist!
I always wanted to say that.

It's really a problem of being too inside her own head, which causes her to defeat herself before she even tries. It's a depressing endless cycle, because she spirals back to her husbandos every time she fails, but there's something to be said about the fact that she tries.

I just like the fact that say, unlike TWGOK, she doesn't automatically learn social skills because she's played hundreds of dating sims.
I didn't mean that she should learn it from games. I'd had something like Kimi ni Todoke in mind, just with more nerdism instead just shyness. Friends that help her realizing how she can fit in without renounce her core, with maybe her helping them to realize the positive sides of pulchritudinous characters.

I didn't mean that she should learn it from games. I'd had something like Kimi ni Todoke in mind, just with more nerdism instead just shyness. Friends that help her realizing how she can fit in without renounce her core, with maybe her helping them to realize the positive sides of pulchritudinous characters.

Oh you!

That thread is still not locked, eh?

I wanted to know if there was Yukiatsu Menma cosplay and I was not disappointed.

http://i.imgur.com/k8CMbY6.jpg

Looks more popular than regular Yukiatsu cosplay then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's racist!
I always wanted to say that.

The show actually refers to Kimi ni Todoke and how she wishes she was Sawako. lol
I just think it's interesting that a manga would basically tell its reader that life isn't as easy as it is in... well, another manga. Sometimes it just doesn't work that way unfortunately.

Can Love Live save Japan in this world up?
http://i.imgur.com/AthPKsH.jpg
The whole team is busy with the Eli event. RIP.

Chariot

That thread is still not locked, eh?
No, why should it?
Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif

The show actually refers to Kimi ni Todoke and how she wishes she was Sawako. lol
I just think it's interesting that a manga would basically tell its reader that life isn't as easy as it is in... well, another manga. Sometimes it just doesn't work that way unfortunately.
Well, I guess that's what's it going for. I just wanted to explain why I didn't like it. It made me really uneasy because it played depressing social issues as joke.

That looks shopped.

Seriously who would wear those ugly headphones.
Kotorifans apparently.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I believe it's shopped,it just seems Japanese think Honda is Kotori fan(though there was a news about he do watch anime)
xjz5oYj.jpg

Now this pic looks legit.

Him being obsessed with Love Live would explain his incredibly shitty club performance this year.

I've never actually watched some Love Live but I feel like its a rabbit hole I shouldn't jump into.

jgminto

Haikyuu!! 12
These "girl coach is pretty" bits are really starting to bug me. The only time she's ever mentioned is because she's so pretty, what kind of character is that? She hasn't had any interesting lines or jokes, she's had about 5 lines of dialogue total and she doesn't seems to have any opinion or unique personality at all. She's basically a nothing character whose only purposes seem to be for self insert and unnecessary male gaze shots. The majority of the cast is so strong, why would you reduce the one female character to a role like that?

Baby Steps 12
I guess that's what you get when you combine a training episode with a recap episode. Then you don't show the apparently exciting match where Ei-chan
destroys his opponent
because why would anyone want to see that? If it weren't for Mike, this episode would have been totally horrible.
iYfQC798eRdzk.png

You best be hitting that up, Ei-chan!
There weren't any Zombies of the Court shots this episode, aside from the recaps to the previous one. The preview of the next episode looks like it'll have me covered at least:

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Baby Steps Episode 12:

Well, I suppose it is good that we didn't have this training extended over a few episodes like Ace No Dimond loves to do. ALso, I am pretty sure Mike needs to be on a few watchlists.

duckroll

Regarding what I posted about Anime Mirai yesterday, I completely missed a vital piece of information. The Japanese cultural ministry is still very much funding the entire project. It seems that they simply elected not to continue with JAnicA as a partner, and have chosen AJA to run the program moving forward. I wonder if we'll ever find out what they were unhappy with with regards to JAnicA's operations.

Jintor

Regarding what I posted about Anime Mirai yesterday, I completely missed a vital piece of information. The Japanese cultural ministry is still very much funding the entire project. It seems that they simply elected not to continue with JAnicA as a partner, and have chosen AJA to run the program moving forward. I wonder if we'll ever find out what they were unhappy with with regards to JAnicA's operations.

That is vital. In fact, it kind of flips the entire privatisation thing around... ish

/XX/

So, any juicy impressions coming from neutral people for the Japanese premier of Lupin the IIIrd: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone? Saw Yūya Takahashi mentioning something about a good reception at one of the first showings (https://twitter.com/yuya_takahashi/status/480374680486825984), but I wanted to see opinions from more... impartial watchers.

That is vital. In fact, it kind of flips the entire privatisation thing around... ish
I'd still be concerned about what exactly the reasons were, and what they would want to change about this initiative...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Chaika ep 1

The eyebrows were more manageable than they appeared in screenshots so that's good. Wtf was up with the bread scene, bones plz

Chaika herself is pretty funny

Acosta

Giant Killing is SO good, it cover its sport from every angle with balance and credibility, it has fantastic character development, a nice narrative pace and a great style. I'm hooked to it.

Clov

Yep, that's why I loved the show. It made me cringe so much, because she literally just kept making everything worse for herself. Tragic, but amusing!

Now I'm sad again. :(

Madoka Magica 12

Madoka finally finds something to wish for. And what a wish.

Great show. Quite the ride with lots of twists and turns. It gets dark at times and really sad too. It's the first 1 cour show I've watched that have managed to invoke such strong emotions of sadness. Interesting visuals with the monsters, and the music is fitting. Liked both the choral/classical sounding music and the more house/techno stuff. Oh, and that OP is such a lie. Haha.

I give it 4.5/5 soul gems:
aSxtOnR.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, I guess that's what's it going for. I just wanted to explain why I didn't like it. It made me really uneasy because it played depressing social issues as joke.

Kotorifans apparently.

Yep, that's why I loved the show. It made me cringe so much, because she literally just kept making everything worse for herself. Tragic, but amusing!

Yeah, I just wanted to add, the reason why she works is because the people who would be watching anime or reading a manga would be able to identify with her in some way. Either because they feel her insecurities, or because they know people with those insecurities.

It's like the Sheldon character from The Big Bang Theory but actually realistic and not a pander protag who makes Star Wars references every other second.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
my god, jexhius slashing and burning overnight. LN writing never deserves the benefit of the doubt.

dhMeAzK.gif

I'm sorry but Brynhildr has without a doubt the best opening of the season in OP 2. I don't care what shitty pop song you enjoy. OP 2 is like God himself ate a bad burrito, and as he is passing the diarrhea that occurs comes out and produces this noise. All of this glorious noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom