• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Hehe. I should get the series on Blu-ray.

The first 2 movies are recaps of some kind? Are they worth watching?

The Blu-Rays for the series are great! Subtitles look a bit strange, but they're still better than the ugly yellow ones that some companies still use. The ones on the Rebellion import look pretty great, though.

The first two movies just retell the series. I saw them when they were in theaters here and thought they were neat. You can watch them if you want, but it's not necessary. I think the second movie adds this cool new scene with Homura in a graveyard.

Selector infected WIXOSS - 02

So it's time to final go back and see this show.
Selector%20Infected%20WIXOSS%20-%2002.jpg

DAT "I win" pose
That Idol girl was pretty good. I don't root for her , but when i was playing card games my main strategy was also to keep my opponnent "card-free" as possible so i can relate.

I also don't mind psychological warfare.

In short aside from the fact that "that" girl is still looking for a way to marry her brother , it was quite alright.

Chariot

I can only go by online reviews, but when the chapters were rearranged some notions about Kino's characters were revealed too early. Take for example
Heh, I shoudl've said that I am german and have of course the german version. We had the same problem, but it was approached differently.
I think the Translator didn't know what gender Kino was or wanted to be msileading, he just referred to her completely as a "he", which was later very arkward.
But as I said, that wasn't the problem. I can totally understand, that this is not working out so easy in a translation. But the writing itself was horrible. Could be part to german translation, but I doubt that translation would've butchered the stories that much.

The Blu-Rays for the series are great! Subtitles look a bit strange, but they're still better than the ugly yellow ones that some companies still use. The ones on the Rebellion import look pretty great, though.

The first two movies just retell the series. I saw them when they were in theaters here and thought they were neat. You can watch them if you want, but it's not necessary. I think the second movie adds this cool new scene with Homura in a graveyard.

Oh, ok. Looks like it's just the series itself that's out in UK yet anyways.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Here's a wiki list of a good portion of light novels. Most are original series, but there appear to be a few adaptations so you will have to check out individual articles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_light_novels Take note for all you Chaika fans, that's a LN too!

Greatest series in the history of anime is a light novel (according to Wikipedia - so probably not accurate)

its legend of the galactic heroes just in case you dummies were thinking it was mahouka

Chariot

Greatest series in the history of anime is a light novel (according to Wikipedia)

its legend of the galactic heroes just in case you dummies were thinking it was mahouka
And here is what I meant. I think Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu are regular novels.
I could be wrong tho

Heh, I shoudl've said that I am german and have of course the german version. We had the same problem, but it was approached differently.
I think the Translator didn't know what gender Kino was or wanted to be msileading, he just referred to her completely as a "he", which was later very arkward.
But as I said, that wasn't the problem. I can totally understand, that this is not working out so easy in a translation. But the writing itself was horrible. Could be part to german translation, but I doubt that translation would've butchered the stories that much.

I will have to take your world for it, but I am sure having a terrible translation wouldn't help enjoy the series. I would only assume the original Japanese LNs flow much better than the other translations.

That list is no good. A few of the entry are regular novels apparently.
I think TV Tropes is better.

This was just the first list to come to mind. The TV Tropes may work even better than some wiki article.

And just what is the defining line between a light novel and a regular novel? Is it simply having the illustrated pages or something more? I know page length is not the issue after seeing how thick those Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere LNs are.

This was just the first list to come to mind. The TV Tropes may work even better than some wiki article.

And just what is the defining line between a light novel and a regular novel? Is it simply having the illustrated pages or something more? I know page length is not the issue after seeing how thick those Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere LNs are.

The line between Light novels and regular novel is getting blurier the more you look ..at this point it's just a matter of pedigree from the author and the audience the book is intended² for.

Light novels are supposed to be easier to read ..but "supposed" as some of those can become quite insane. Regular book also don't have illustrations in between the chapter ( or during them ) something the line novels often use.

/XX/

Giant Killing is SO good, it cover its sport from every angle with balance and credibility, it has fantastic character development, a nice narrative pace and a great style. I'm hooked to it.
God timing watching this, lots of 'giant killing' going on right now at the FIFA WC... ( ;_;)

Well, as a consolation its opening song by THE CHERRY COKE$ is now playing inside my head. That's good!

Narag

demographic target was the main deciding factor i thought

/XX/

I think it depends on how the publisher wants to market the product and what kind of demographic attract in the process, nothing more.

Defuser

Pretty sure it's about the demographic which publishers aimed for. Light novels are aimed to middle/high school youths.

Selector Infected WIXOSS - 03
Idol girl #1 is so scary but i still can't hate her because that psychological warfare was golden.

Selector%20Infected%20WIXOSS%20-%2003-02.jpg

More proof that animegaf is wrong

In the meantime , shy green girl is finally making friends by using the tatic everyone uses , go for the weakest first !
Selector%20Infected%20WIXOSS%20-%2003-01.jpg

How blunt !

Too bad she is weak as hell too , well she isn't but that was the main heroine she was against..she had no chance.

Main heroine , cna you please decide what you want ? All this talk of being unworthy is meaningless ! Just enjoy the crazy and think of a wish afterwards...so what you're crushing everyone else dreams ? WHO CARES! aren't they crushing your potential dream too ? STEP YOUR GAME UP LITTLE GIRL.

Madoka Magica 12

Madoka finally finds something to wish for. And what a wish.

Great show. Quite the ride with lots of twists and turns. It gets dark at times and really sad too. It's the first 1 cour show I've watched that have managed to invoke such strong emotions of sadness. Interesting visuals with the monsters, and the music is fitting. Liked both the choral/classical sounding music and the more house/techno stuff. Oh, and that OP is such a lie. Haha.

I give it 4.5/5 soul gems:
aSxtOnR.png

Yay! Glad you liked it. You half-filled Kyoko's gem though. :(

It's going to take me a lot longer to finish Hidimari Sketch. It's not an anime you can marathon and it's better in small bursts.

Welp on some family vacation and now in the Phillipines. Apparently the country has limited licensing so no anime for me for 2 and half weeks... bleh.

Yay! Glad you liked it. You half-filled Kyoko's gem though. :(

It's going to take me a lot longer to finish Hidimari Sketch. It's not an anime you can marathon and it's better in small bursts.

I put the gems in the order the characters appeared so no bias. I liked all of them in the end.

You'd overload on cute if you marathoned Hidamari so no worries. ;)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Mahouka 12

This episode was boring and offensive at the same time. Also there is no sense of time. At all. This shit is so rushed I don't even...

hahaha, I enjoyed reading your fast reviews. Glad you enjoyed it, such a great series. I think it its mostly responsible of me watching anime at full force nowadays.

That reminds me I need to watch Rebellion. I plan to do it once I rewatch the whole series in Blu-Ray.
Ahh Rebellion, it's quite a ride. It will single-handedly destroy what you loved about the series or make you love it even more. (I loved it)

Hehe. I should get the series on Blu-ray.

The first 2 movies are recaps of some kind? Are they worth watching?

First 2 movies are recaps of the series with small changes in animation such as making backgrounds feel livelier. The script is the same as the series and I think the series is paced better but I watched them because I love Madoka. They're not worth watching if you want something new but if you want to see the same story told with slightly better animation it might be worth it to check them out.

Also, you're starting Girls Und Panzer? That's a fun anime too. The upcoming OVA shows one of the battles skipped during the series and it should be coming out soon. Add that on my to watch list for summer season.

Mahouka 12

This episode was boring and offensive at the same time. Also there is no sense of time. At all. This shit is so rushed I don't even...

Rushed? Did we even watch the same episode? I thought they kind of went a bit slow considering we arent even at any official round match up yet, and the episode only showed another match of battle boards and tons of analyzing.

Clov

How does Ef hold up now, anyway? I remember enjoying them when I first watched them, but it's been years. I love the visuals during the openings.

Chariot

How does Ef hold up now, anyway? I remember enjoying them when I first watched them, but it's been years. I love the visuals during the openings.
I don't know, I still like it. It's not that old, there isn't anything that has really aged.

Ef: A Tale of Memories was pretty good. I really liked
the relationship between Renji and Chihiro. Those two were adorable.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
One Week Friends ends with
a three and a half minute credit roll over a series montage.
How can anyone say nothing happens?

If there was any show I wish they chopped in half it was this one.

Chihiro arc was amazing. The other one was terrrrrrrrible.

I didn't even bother to watch the sequel, Melodies because I looked up what happens in it and from what I read,
Renji and Chihiro barely show up in it. Like, they're there, but apparently they have no significance to the story any more.

Not that it really matters, since Memories had a perfectly satisfying conclusion to their relationship (one of the sweetest things I've ever seen when it comes to romance anime) and it's not retconned or anything, so thank goodness.

Clov

I don't know, I still like it. It's not that old, there isn't anything that has really aged.

I didn't really mean aging when I asked how it held up; sometimes anime I liked when I was younger I don't like nearly as much now. That's all I meant, really; if impressions here are still positive, I'll probably like it again when I rewatch it. I should look into the Blu-Rays at some point.

Mahouka 12

Rushed? Did we even watch the same episode? I thought they kind of went a bit slow considering we arent even at any official round match up yet, and the episode only showed another match of battle boards and tons of analyzing.

I don't think this episode was rushed either , in fact they are going at the same pace pretty much every episode.
I won't argue that it can be boring for some. But that was 200% world building

_Slay

Couldn't help but notice the ef disccusion and have to pop in as its in my top 3 of all time. I've seen it a few times and read the VN.

If there was any show I wish they chopped in half it was this one.

Chihiro arc was amazing. The other one was terrrrrrrrible.
Heh I've read a lot of discussions about ef and if there is one thing I learned is that you can tell a lot about what a person enjoys depending on what part of Memories they prefer.

Granted I haven't seen the anime version of it, but eye-patch amnesiac girl was by far the worst part of Ef.

The anime version of Chihiro's arc is MUCH better than in the VN which is something you don't see very often in adaptions. There are a few scenes which exhilarate and make the whole experience much more enjoyable. Although if you disliked it that much I don't think it would make a difference.

I didn't even bother to watch the sequel, Melodies because I looked up what happens in it and from what I read,
Renji and Chihiro barely show up in it. Like, they're there, but apparently they have no significance to the story any more.

Not that it really matters, since Memories had a perfectly satisfying conclusion to their relationship (one of the sweetest things I've ever seen when it comes to romance anime) and it's not retconned or anything, so thank goodness.
I'd recommend Melodies to anyone who enjoyed even one half of Memories. Melodies is much more darker in tone and much more controversial(it really cranks the melodrama up to 11) but some really prefer the more emotional story.

cajunator

Banned
Well, I suppose twelve seconds of a new Kalafina song are better than none.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fhpPDo9dvk

Any amount of a Kalafina song is sweet sweet nectar.

Madoka Magica 09

Hm... So what happened here then?
That explosion took them both out?
And I'm not sure I understand the full reason for
the self-sacrifice

Kyubey is thinking a couple of steps ahead of everybody else. And this line:
"So if you ever feel like dying for the sake of the universe, please call me anytime."
Oh, wow.

The episode that spawned a million fanarts. I approve of it too. The relationship between those two seemed to be one of mutual respect and its not a far reach to see why this happened. I think it was a beautiful little detail in the story and a fitting way for that episode to end.

Hyouka 1

And here we go! Starting another Kyoto Animation show.

The show is beautifully animated. Like really, really well done. The show has a very intriguing premise and I like all the characters introduced so far. Oreiki seems to have some mad deductive skills. I look forward to seeing how his character progresses with Eru. He seems quite enamored with her. I thought it was amusing when he handed his application for the Classics Club over to her with like this look on his face of "Why did I just do that?"

I am really looking forward to seeing more of this show.

Seeing how you enjoy slower paced stuff, you might like Hyouka, but be warned the mystery stuff itself is quite mundane. I mean ridiculously simple dumb things. The show explores the characters and teir progression and thats the more interesting part of it, though the show doesnt really let them shine until the latter half of the series. The main fault I would put on this show is it presented potentially interesting characters with a mind numbing situation half the time and it didnt really give them much to do. The festival arc becomes a much more lively and intriguing part and thats where the show finally found its legs. Chitanda is a cute drunk and Misaki is best girl. Irisu is cool too. Mayaka is a dumb bitch.

No Game No Life Episode 1
Honestly, im liking the main character
show has my interest atleast.

No Game No Life Episode 2
HOLY SHIT, this episode, like the first episode was interesting and all, interesting characters and learning about stuff, but this episode truly delivered, im officially hooked.
How come nobody told me about this sooner?

This show gets so badass. It just gets better and better really. So over the top but so much FUN. Then Jibril shows up and steals your heart.

Senati is doing one in NA according to their press release.

I'm going to be all over that one; I loved this show. It was fun and even made me laugh.

I needa watch this one.
Kaiwasou right?

And for AHB, at least for a little while, the world was a better place.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Guys if you want to get non lewdgaf people to watch this ngnl show you'll have to do better than "apart from the blatant fan service where naked girls show up on the loser protag's doorstep and 12 year old cameltoes are flashed on screen for your enjoyment it's actually good and non fan servicey I sweeeaaaarrr"

Nobody really cares about the fanservice content. Its just there. The focus is on what the show is saying about gamers and NEETs and just having fun with itself.

Yea the artstyle is awful, the filter is annoying.

It's just that the lead MC is a professional conman cheating his way through a fantasy world full of cheaters. Like everybody is cheating in the fantasy world. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say the MC is legitimately insane.

It's really not like Mondaji at all. It's much better for one.

lol yeah its even better than Mondaiji and that show was really enjoyable too. But moreso because of Kuro Usagi and Shiroyasha.

Oh, and one final thing I forgot to mention about No Game No Life that's a sign of when it was created - the main character is a complete NEET who can't deal with social situations. Just more pandering to the audience by reflecting a more powerful version of themselves back at them.

Its a sign of social changes within Japan that anime reflects the current situation and what Otakus see themselves like. Marketing anime requires people who will buy it and like it or not thats how those people are. Its not gonna sustain itself but for now its selling merchandise.

There are times where using terminology like this is why I don't feel like modern day anime (well LNs really) are written by real people.

Someone has to take source material and adapt it into a semi bleievable story in such a way that it makes sense and is enjoyable. An untalented editor or director could just as easily screw up a story like this with lack of experience. that it is such a fun series is testament to them doing it right.

The show even jokes about the NEET term. They don't appear to have job or go to school either.

Demographic questions aside, the number of "NEET"/Hikikomori" protaganists in anime has increased in recent years, even the guy at the start of Chaika says he hasn't been in work for ages. Creators obviously feel that it's useful to have characters with this trait, for whatever reason, and given the state of the global economy combines with Japan's own problems I imagine that's a safe bet for them to make.

Again its just reflecting what otaku are like in Japan in order to make anime more identifiable to them. The ideal is like my job, wherE I work a full time amount of hours, but due to scheduling I also have a week off where I can literally live the life of a NEET if I choose to.

Chaika, you mean the show with the colour-coded collect 'em all loli's, the pet dragon loli, and the 'we're not blood related' brother-sister incest jokes?

As much as I enjoy these shows, I'm not going to let them pass on the shit they pull. I even think No Game No Life is pretty good and it would be a lot better without certain questionable elements.

Chaika is wonderful. theyre trying hard to sell figurines to me and I definitely want some.
I dont think Chaikas characters are lolis agewise and especially not the latest chaika. Hard to say. Fredrica is probably the closest to that but shes adorable so who gives a shit.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 12 END

I really hope this gets a second season
it won't, Brain's Base

The ending was about what I expected from a show where the main relationship moves so slowly
they exchange phone numbers. That's it
but I didn't hate it.
Drunk Ricchan was pretty good too.

I just hope I can find a show like this next season, for the good of my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom