• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
[Chaika End]

I had kind of hoped for some nice animation for the battles in this episode but it pretty much looked like a standard episode, which is a bit disappointing.

Otherwise, as my man cosmicblizzard said, this was an average ending to a forgettable show. It simply filed the time between better shows. It doesn't do anything substantially better from a directorial, story, animation or writing standpoint than any other show in this ilk and as such it's not really worth recommending or even remembering.

Its not groundbreaking but I wont soon forget how cute Chaika is!

Girls und Panzer 07

PEwtpz0.jpg

Don't think that's helping much...

Some backstory about Nishizumis match for Kuromorimine. A training montage, more tanks gotten and then the next match. Uh... Ok? That was over fast :p

Narag

No Game No LIfe 12

Good end to a good show, kinda hope we get more. Going to echo what others have said and lament the pervasiveness of "beautiful things" in this show, making it something I probably wouldn't recommend to most viewers.

cnet128

Banned
No Game No Life 12 END

A highly satisfying way to tie up this wonderful series...for now. Even bath fanservice is improved by mofu! And Sora's best gambits are always the ones where
the rewards for winning are themselves an integral part of the deception

If we don't get a second season of this, someone somewhere is doing something very wrong.

No Game No Life 12

I figured
Stephanie would be part of the plan in some way.
With the way it ended there is no way it's not getting a second season.

Chariot

No Game No Life 12

I figured
Stephanie would be part of the plan in some way.
With the way it ended there is no way it's not getting a second season.
Well, there were quite a few anime that ended on cliffhangers or incomplete. Because Light Novels and Manga never fucking ends.

What's important are the salesnumbers. Hopefully they're going to be good.

cajunator

Banned
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I suppose it really just speaks to the state of the industry and the market in Japan. I mean Saya Yamamoto, the Michiko & Hatchin director, storyboarded some pretty over the top fanservice in Highschool of the Dead.

In Yamamoto's case, I'm pretty sure she gets off on this stuff.

Until you said that, I didn't realize that NGNL was directed by the same woman who directed the Ryunousuke Akutagawa episodes in Aoi Bungaku. Those episodes also had their share of bold color choices.

Yeah, Ishizuka likes her vibrant, eye-catching (sometimes garish) color schemes. You can see that in Hanayamata too.

Dammit Baccano! You better not have just comedically
killed off Isaac. I refuse to believe that he went out in such a silly manner. Well, knowing Isaac, I COULD believe it. I just refuse to.

jman2050

No Game No Life 4

So the entire premise for this series is basically a giant game of Civ.

So SoraShiro's solution to fixing a backwater medieval fantasy country's broken socioeconomic climate is to... apply the principles of the socioeconomic policies of their own world's states (even if it's a simplified form from the Civ games). That's remarkably straightforward and practical of them.

You know what, usually I'd be okay with the standard play of "have the MC fail to best learn how to later succeed" but screw that, I hope Sora and Shiro win every game they play from here on out. And I hope they win in the most smug, condescending way possible every time.

Link Man

Banned
Saw How to Train Your Dragon 2 this afternoon (it was great!), so I'm a little late.

Chaika 12

Inception, :cnet style.
Even tinier lolis inside lolis.

Turtle Chaika.

:O

RAMMING SPEED!

Shave and a haircut! Two bits!

HELL YEAH AKARI!!!

:O!!!

What?!

Now THAT is how you end a season! Awesome!

Eagerly anticipating October!

Black Bullet 12

I don't see what everyone is upset about.
This is the fate of cursed children. Eventually they become the monster they are fighting.
Actually what
cat eared loli did was quite noble
. When Rentaro let that one
bodyguard go we knew he would come back to screw everything

And the fact now that the
Joker dude is helping out now is awesome

Edit: Honestly I was more upset about
blonde loli in episode 4 dying than cat loli
. No one should be getting upset about this. Honestly this episode was better and more eventful than episode 11. This is artificial anger.

jman2050

No Game No Life 5

In which SoraShiro uses degrading fanservice as an allegory for the consequences of inadequate knowledge and preparation. Yep, this is anime alright.

Also new character incoming!

cnet128

Banned
Hitsugi no Chaika 12 END

A solid final episode for a solid series.

Frederica's...unconventional return
was hilarious and the best outcome for that plotline I could possibly have hoped for. Gilette's flunkies' reactions were especially amusing.

And on the Chaika side of things...hot damn. I think she rose a whole best girl level this episode, and she was already pretty damn high.
Tossing her coffin over the edge and then throwing herself down god knows how far after Tooru with barely the slightest hesitation
was a godly moment of beautiful decisiveness that caught me quite off guard, but the
tender moments between the two of them and of course dat kiss
that followed were perhaps even better. Chaika so love <3

...Oh, and one other little moment this episode that I really enjoyed was the shot of Tooru
climbing up the side of the flying fortress while it was being bombarded by an unholy magical assault from the OTHER flying fortress.
Brief though it was, I felt like that lent a real epic quality to this whole finale, as well as affirming Tooru's badass status like never before.

Bring on the second season!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
[.

Rankings!

1. Chaika - The Coffin Princess (season 2 coming)
2. Selector Infected WIXOSS (season 2 coming)
3. The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostels
4. Knights of Sidonia
5. Brynhildr in the Darkness (latter half adaptation is not as good due to crunching)
6. No Game No Life
7. The Irregular at Magic High
8. Baby Steps
9. Nanana's Buried Treasure
10. One Week Friends
11. Black Bullet
12. Akuma no Riddle

Fall 2014 Anime Season is going to be so awesome with all these second seasons!

1. Chaika - The Coffin Princess Season 2
2. Selector Spread WIXOSS
3. Log Horizon Season 2
4. Psycho Pass Season 2
Is this real life

Silvawuff

NGNL 12 - I really hope we get a Season 2. It's a very clever series that flows really well from start to finish, with interesting characters and a story with plenty of twists and "gotcha" moments.

Chaika 12 - I can't wait for October! Also, hammer to the face. I love how this anime has lots of "Whoa, did that just happen?" moments.
I hope Toru makes that contract with Fredrika! omgomg

jman2050

No Game No Life 6

Pay attention in school kids. Those boring science terms that make you fall asleep might just allow you to
win a game of Shiritori via destruction of the known universe by means of an artificial big bang.
Also hey, an instance anime where barbie doll anatomy actually makes perfect sense!

Jibril owns. Steph is basically a mascot character at this point and they aren't even trying to pretend otherwise. I'm okay with this.

This show man, This show.

cajunator

Banned
Chaika 12

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Good ending. Did
Vivi turn into a chaika? WIll we see that next season maybe?

Also Chaika is a top tier waifu. That was so sweet. I love this show so much!

Jex

Most sexy Stocking's bondage on her episode for P&SwG, plus the explosive ED she conceived for Lupin the Third: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine... you know, I'm not sure if the industry is forcing her to pick doing such things when she had a proper creative control over the content. Maybe, could be, that she just likes to do that!

I didn't want to seem insolent with that response... I understand well that position and I share part of the concerns, Jexhius, I sure do... it is isolating personal examples (unclear to me) with which I see faults in that argument. It is easier to blame it all on an intangible shadow forcing it all than knowing well what exactly wants to achieve each person in question.

Because, really, I don't think we should be judging the motivations behind specific individuals we don't nearly know as well to do that, that's all! It can be insulting (and even more denigrating that whatever "bad habit" anyone can be accused of) to just attribute one's passion for anything to mere circumstances foreign to your own will, as if someone is only an immature human without volition and understanding of what anyone "should be rightfully doing" instead.
I was simply highlighting that female directors have been known to work on such material in the past, rather than a condemnation of their work or an attempt to guess their reasoning behind making what they make.

You're certainly right to say that we cannot understand the motivations of particular individuals, which is especially true without direct interviews (not to mention the language barrier) but given that limitation we can still attempt to read something into the minds of the creators, as foolish as an exercise as that might be. After all, we attempt to do just that with all kinds of movies, TV shows, books etc.

So, just as an exercise, I will return to my two original examples. Firstly we have No Game No Life directed by Atsuko Ishizuka. This series features an abundance of what I'd call 'standard' fanservice shots. Upskirts, cleavage zooms, steamy bath scenes, scanty clothing and the like. It's all the basic stuff you've come to expect from anime and all the scenes are framed and presented as you'd expect. You've seen it a thousand times before and it's extremely boring and passionless. It feels entirely perfunctory, which is to say that it exists for cheap thrills. I haven't seen enough work directed by Atsuko Ishizuka, but I'd still guess that this had been thrown in to sell the show.

I get a very different feeling from the works of Sayo Yamamoto. Specifically, Lupin the Third: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine[ because that's a show dripping with nudity. While some of the fanservice in that series feels a little artless, on the whole I get a completely different impression from the nudity in that show then I do to something like No Game No Life. Fujiko features more creative and even sensual 'fanservice' than most anime.

The ED for that series especially feels like it falls more towards the 'erotic' side of the spectrum than the 'fanservice to pander to otaku' side of the spectrum (lets just assume for now that 'erotic' means classy nudity). I really got the impression that Sayo wanted to make Fujiko a sexy and powerful figure and that there was no shame in her nudity and that's how she was depicted in the series. It definitely felt like something that came from the creator of the series, rather than an external 'shadowy force' demanding that she insert a bunch of fanservice scenes into the show. It felt like an integral part of the entire project that she wanted to include.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I finally got a chance to watch the Dusk Maiden BD commentaries... but does anyone know who is actually doing them? They never introduce themselves and of course Sentai provides zero information. lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No Game No Life 4

You know what, usually I'd be okay with the standard play of "have the MC fail to best learn how to later succeed" but screw that, I hope Sora and Shiro win every game they play from here on out. And I hope they win in the most smug, condescending way possible every time.
Damn right

Hyouka 10
Hahahaha. Wow...

In the picture above is actually when the lightbulb in my head went off and came to the same conclusion that Oreki did. I have to say his deduction was great and makes for actually a pretty good
murder mystery movie
. However, I also facepalmed when Mayaka
brought up the rope
. I was like "fuck that's right".

All in all this was a fantastic episode and it had a lot of twists and turns. It seems we have yet to fully solve this case though...

cajunator

Banned
No Game No Life 6

Pay attention in school kids. Those boring science terms that make you fall asleep might just allow you to
win a game of Shiritori via destruction of the known universe by means of an artificial big bang.
Also hey, an instance anime where barbie doll anatomy actually makes perfect sense!

Jibril owns. Steph is basically a mascot character at this point and they aren't even trying to pretend otherwise. I'm okay with this.

This show man, This show.

This is one show where I love the smug confidence. They just outwit everybody and its so fun to watch because nobody can stop it.

Jex

I finally got a chance to watch the Dusk Maiden BD commentaries... but does anyone know who is actually doing them? They never introduce themselves and of course Sentai provides zero information. lol

You have to buy another release to find out. It's their new marketing scheme!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I really like the end of episode 9(8?) of NGNL when
they made it look like it would be some shameless fanservice with shiro and sora and kurami and her elf gf, but it was actually a pretty cute, funny, and even heartwarming scene where they cry holding eachother because they never wanted to experience not existing again.

I thought it was Yuuko's seiyuu, Yumi Hara, but I cannot say for sure. I watched all 13 episodes subbed on one weekend followed by all the commentaries the next day, and I was certain the commentator sounded like Yuuko.

EDIT: Checked the product description (bottom of Description in Japanese) of the first BD single from CD Japan. Appears that Yumi Hara indeed does the commentaries, assuming Google Translate is correct.

jman2050

No Game No Life 7

So the old king was sandbagging the whole time to attain first-hand knowledge of their opponents.

That's quite the long con he had going there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You have to buy another release to find out. It's their new marketing scheme!
The Sentai way! At least this was before OVAs being separate releases and whatnot. lol

I thought it was Yuuko's seiyuu, Yumi Hara, but I cannot say for sure. I watched all 13 episodes subbed on one weekend followed by all the commentaries the next day, and I was certain the commentator sounded like Yuuko.
Yeah, that's what the one Bluray.com review suggested as well. I assuming the JP packaging it's just prominent on the package that she's on it or whatever, but it's weird that she doesn't introduce herself and Sentai didn't bother to identify her on their own packaging.

--

Oh yeah, for anyone who follows US releases, has Sentai put out anything of note with special features of any kind? I think the last thing they did was Persona, but only on DVD because of the weird licensing deal they had.

Shergal

Hyouka 10

Hahahaha. Wow...

In the picture above is actually when the lightbulb in my head went off and came to the same conclusion that Oreki did. I have to say his deduction was great and makes for actually a pretty good
murder mystery movie
. However, I also facepalmed when Mayaka
brought up the rope
. I was like "fuck that's right".

All in all this was a fantastic episode and it had a lot of twists and turns. It seems we have yet to fully solve this case though...

A heads up, remember to watch episode 11.5 in between 11 and 12. It's chronologically there and it also came out in-between the two episodes while the show aired, so there's no issue with watching it there. There are some... clashing postures regarding the relevance of the episode in the series, thematically speaking.

Soma

Haven't seen Dresden post here in a while.

Did the (somewhat) positive reception to No Game No Life kill his drive to associate with us? :(

cajunator

Banned
The Sentai way! At least this was before OVAs being separate releases and whatnot. lol

Yeah, that's what the one Bluray.com review suggested as well. I assuming the JP packaging it's just prominent on the package that she's on it or whatever, but it's weird that she doesn't introduce herself and Sentai didn't bother to identify her on their own packaging.

--

Oh yeah, for anyone who follows US releases, has Sentai put out anything of note with special features of any kind? I think the last thing they did was Persona, but only on DVD because of the weird licensing deal they had.

Well, http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=sfimc100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom