• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2

Using Servants as monsters-of-the-week is a masterstroke. Doubly so because the animation is gorgeous and makes the battles really pop out of the screen. (Other things that are gorgeous: Illya. hnnnnghhh) Their abilities and fighting styles seem remarkably true to the source material, which makes it fun for me to see them in motion since up until now I've only experienced them in text and static image form in the original VN.

(Incidentally, this is one reason I'm really looking forward to ufotable's FSN adaptation, because regardless of how they handle the different arcs, it's going to be such a blast for me seeing whatever content they do choose to cover beautifully animated. There is so much potential for cool spectacle in this franchise.)

Really enjoying all the cute little fanservicey callbacks to FSN that the show does, as well, like the Illya-facing-Rin shot in the first episode that mirrored the classic Shirou-facing-Saber CG, and the "threatening" letter that Rin sent in this episode. Feels like "HEY I GOT THAT REFERENCE": The Anime xp

Oh, and insufferable magical staff-san? You may be insufferable, but I can't deny you speak sense sometimes. Yes, Illya's cuteness is indeed her greatest weapon. Good job! (-.-)=b

jman2050

No Game No Life 8

80% of this episode was six people talking in a room and it was awesome.

...Okay, so more accurately it was less six people talking and two people putting on a show for the other four, but still, awesome. It's funny, cause the premise and setup makes you think this would be some sort of Game of the Week deal but it sets itself up as more than that. These past two episodes have been mostly talking and setup but it's still quite engaging to watch. Anywho, now we have
video games.
This really is GAF's wet dream anime!

And then the ending: wat?

No Game No Life 12 End

Great end to game but everything else was weak, which kind of set the tone for the anime as a whole. Just much everything outside of the really creative strategies to winning felt weak and uninteresting. The source remained strong throughout these moments in written form but on the screen just found myself dozing off or gazing elsewhere. Kind of wish they could have created something a bit more special.

Better than their Mahou Sensou but just far less good than the ongoing Mahouka. 7/10

At least it made the series popular so hopefully the story goes on for many years to come.

Chaika 12

A solid ending to the first half. Three things that stand out:

1. Lol at the stab. It was so non-chalant and I never expected that from a protagonist. He just turned around and with the most calm face stabbed the bad guy in the stomach without any effort.

2. God dammit White Chaika is going to win. Get your shit together Red Chaika.

3. Looks like Fredrica is finally over her lust for battle against Toru and finally admitted she was being tsundere and wants him as her contract partner. Which being that it's from the same author of Scrapped Princess and the offer is now on the table, he'll eventually take.

Either ways I really liked this show. It's forgettable sure. But not because it's bad. It just doesn't do anything better than any other show in a particular way, specifically plot. But it does everything it does, as average as it is outside of animation at points, very solidly.

I give this first half 8/10 Woofs

Chariot

No Game No Life 12 End

Great end to game but everything else was weak, which kind of set the tone for the anime as a whole. Just much everything outside of the really creative strategies to winning felt weak and uninteresting. The source remained strong throughout these moments in written form but on the screen just found myself dozing off or gazing elsewhere. Kind of wish they could have created something a bit more special.

Better than their Mahou Sensou but just far less good than the ongoing Mahouka. 7/10

At least it made the series popular so hopefully the story goes on for many years to come.
iAsxJYWUxvpyX.gif

Oh yeah, for anyone who follows US releases, has Sentai put out anything of note with special features of any kind? I think the last thing they did was Persona, but only on DVD because of the weird licensing deal they had.

Both the Blu-ray and DVD version of Queen's Blade Rebellion had CD soundtracks, along with audio dramas and omakes. Infinite Stratos, Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth, and Dusk Maiden are the other Sentai series with CDs. Hopefully whenever they release their Chunibyo premium edition some CDs and other extras are included other than nice packaging.

Lurky

Chaika 12

A solid ending to the first half. Three things that stand out:

1. Lol at the stab. It was so non-chalant and I never expected that from a protagonist. He just turned around and with the most calm face stabbed the bad guy in the stomach without any effort.

2. God dammit White Chaika is going to win. Get your shit together Red Chaika.

3. Looks like Fredrica is finally over her lust for battle against Toru and finally admitted she was being tsundere and wants him as her contract partner. Which being that it's from the same author of Scrapped Princess and the offer is now on the table, he'll eventually take.

Either ways I really liked this show. It's forgettable sure. But not because it's bad. It just doesn't do anything better than any other show in a particular way, specifically plot. But it does everything it does, as average as it is outside of animation at points, very solidly.

I give this first half 8/10 Woofs

You forgot
Vivi turning into a Chaika
and
"lol I'm not really dead, I've just turned into mini-Fredricka."
Unless those don't count.

Clov

Both the Blu-ray and DVD version of Queen's Blade Rebellion had CD soundtracks, along with audio dramas and omakes. Infinite Stratos, Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth, and Dusk Maiden are the other Sentai series with CDs. Hopefully whenever they release their Chunibyo premium edition some CDs and other extras are included other than nice packaging.

I'm really hoping they include an artbook with Chuunibyou, personally.

cajunator

Banned
No Game No Life 07

This show is very smartly written for what it is. On the outside it looks like just another show you can turn your brain off and enjoy, but some of this stuff is just too brilliant.
Jibril still best girl. Steph is a super cutie though. I want to hug her.
Also this episode had :MillenniumActress

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's an older release as well and I also own it. lol

It just seems that a lot of their stuff has been barebones recently, which is unfortunately if they are finding that premium releases aren't worth it anymore.

Their "upgrades" of Maria Holic kept the special features, but I assume that's because all the work has already been done and the same deals apply.

As much as I want to support this, I don't think I can justify buying Queen's Blade to myself. :p

The K-ON Movie also was packed with features. The only thing missing on the disc was the audio commentary.

No Game No Beautiful Things 12

Man what a fucking ride. Such a fun fucking show. Such a fucking shame I can't recommend it to anyone outside of people here in AnimeGAF because of #beautifulthings and the fanservice.

If there's a vote for best protagonist of the season, it has to go to Sora. I mean the #beautifulthings was just your typical genius child and brother complex mixed into one, but Sora was like Ledouche without the douche and more of otaku.

I hope and pray there's a second season. I won't hope for less fan service because obviously it won't happen. But I think I'm fine with that as long as the quality keeps up.

I'd give this series (possible season 1) 9/10 Woofs but it goes to an 8.5/10 Woofs due to the reasons you probably think I'm deducting points for.

You forgot
Vivi turning into a Chaika
and
"lol I'm not really dead, I've just turned into mini-Fredricka."
Unless those don't count.

Those too, but I don't care about what's her face at all. So tsundere. Also
did the blonde dude she was into die? I must've missed it as I was doing other shit

Dynedom

Chaika - 12

Man, that's a pretty damn good end to S1.

1) The Layla story is insanely tragic. Really well handled.

2) So many abrupt kills. The stab to Ricardo. The "bonk" to Gran. Lol.

3) Chibirica is just hilarious. A true "that's not even my final form" moment.

4) Vivi awakening was just icing on the cake. The way the episode was set up describing how it can happen made this scene really satisfying.

5) No way Gillette Mach 3 is dead but I wonder what kind of role he'll play.

Looking forward to S2.

[Also
did the blonde dude she was into die? I must've missed it as I was doing other shit

I doubt he's dead but of course the death was implied. Why else would Vivi awaken?

cajunator

Banned
No Game No Beautiful Things 12

Man what a fucking ride. Such a fun fucking show. Such a fucking shame I can't recommend it to anyone outside of people here in AnimeGAF because of #beautifulthings and the fanservice.

If there's a vote for best protagonist of the season, it has to go to Sora. I mean the #beautifulthings was just your typical genius child and brother complex mixed into one, but Sora was like Ledouche without the douche and more of otaku.

I hope and pray there's a second season. I won't hope for less fan service because obviously it won't happen. But I think I'm fine with that as long as the quality keeps up.

I'd give this series (possible season 1) 9/10 Woofs but it goes to an 8.5/10 Woofs due to the reasons you probably think I'm deducting points for.

Thats fine. Ill recommend it for you.

jman2050

No Game No Life 9

Waitwaitwaitwait so let me get this straight.
Sora needs an elf to handle whatever game the animal girls force him to play, and the only elf he knows is Kurami's friend. Like hell she'd help him, of course. His entire rationale for betting the human race was to goad Kurami into challenging him, allowing him to set up this elaborate gambit using Othello wherein he begins to lose on purpose and willingly sacrifices his entire existence to her in an effort to give her his memories and eventually gain her trust, while at the same time providing an outlet for Shiro to participate and eventually win the game in his stead (since he'd be unable to give the fact that, well, he no longer exists) despite Sora not being around at all and her having no actual knowledge of the Othello match in progress. In the end he wins the game, gives back Kurami's existence/memories while letting them retain each other's memories, gains her trust as a result, and now has an elven ally to help against the animal girls, all without actually losing anything.

0miWRkz.gif

SoraShiro must win all the games.

Lurky

Aww but she's so cute! I want her to verbally abuse me. And
they hinted that he died but there's no body. Probably because of the giant laser beam though.

cajunator

Banned
I know it's car names. But let's be completely honest. If anything most people will notice the shaving blade.

(last episode spoilers)
and if he comes back people can say "man he survived? what a close shave!

Its hard to say which. But yeah I mean

Chaika
Trabant
Acura
Kleeman
Steinmetz
Gillette
Callaway
Kenworth
Lancia
Abarth
Skoda
Scania
Gaz
Koenigsegg

Its a car lovers nerd fantasy. Literally.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 15

Speedwagon has returned to narrating things in this show! YESSSSSSSSSS.

Well that's certainly one way to time your opponent!
Cutting your opponents wrist so that they bleed out into unconsciousness in a minute. And he refers to it as a wristwatch.

This show man, this freaking show, lol.

Chaika The Coffin Princess 12

Great ending to the first season/first half of the show. A tad disappointed in the final battle between Toru and crazy guy but overall it gave us quiet a bit of teasers for the second season. I kind of want to believe that
Gilette is truly dead
but the fact that
Vivi turned into a Chaika
raises a LOT of questions and was certainly not the final tease I expecting.

7/10 all in all a very solid first season entertaining enough to keep me engaged but not so amazing that I'm going to jump up and down singing it's praises.

Acosta

Finishing with Giant Killing. No chance of second season, right? Maybe I should read the manga (but I like more watching anime...).

I think I'm going to buy Football Manager, lol.

cnet128

Banned
Fate/Zero 1

Well, now I'm torn.

See, I'm quite confident in my appraisal of Prisma Illya as the best thing ever. But then how come this is also the best thing ever? Can there be two best things ever? Is that physically possible? Such mystery. Much philosophical. Wow.

But to translate into sane-people talk, yeah, I loved this. I must confess I didn't pay attention to the runtime before starting the episode, so I was a little surprised when it turned out to be a double-length setup episode of epic proportions, but there's no doubting it was a pleasant surprise. It felt pretty good watching the episode take all the time it needed to set up each piece on the board and lovingly illustrate each of their backgrounds and motivations.

And what a cast we've got assembled here. Kiritsugu and Kirei are compelling-as-fuck characters, I knew to expect that much going in, and that whole sequence where they were each analysing one another from afar was pretty delicious. But to be honest, out of the cast we've got so far, I don't think they're even the ones I'd want to "support" in this contest. (Well, inasmuch as choosing sides makes sense when I already know the outcome >.>)

For fairly obvious reasons, I'd probably throw my lot in behind Kariya, who I can only consider some kind of miracle. God, I love this guy. Born into the most twisted family in this whole godforsaken setting, yet he still manages to grow up into a nice decent guy with, you know, morals and values and shit (no thanks to you, Zouken, you utter bastard), and yet he's willing to throw his whole life away and serve the very family he turned his back on just for the sake of one little girl's happiness.

He's doomed on so many levels it's not even funny.

I also really like this Waver kid, with his simple goal of proving his own worth. I admire his guts, stealing that artifact from his teacher, coming all the way to Japan and hypnotising some old couple into giving him lodgings just so he can take part in the Grail War. He appeals to my desire to support the underdog. He seems a tenacious one. ...He's also very likely to end up crushed utterly.

Honestly the character I care least about in this picture is Rin's dad, who is quite the dapper gentleman but aside from that doesn't really seem to have much going for him to be honest. But that's okay. It's nice to have someone around who I don't mind seeing get horribly destroyed. Lord knows that's probably going to be the outcome for most of these characters.

But yeah, this feels like a really strong cast already, and we've only really met five out of seven Masters and none of the Servants. I can tell I'm going to love this show.

...Oh, and this probably goes without saying, but loli Rin is crazy adorable. Hot-headed and strong-willed even at such a young age, I see. She never did let Kirei give her any shit. God help me I love that girl.

jgminto

No Game No Life 12

That was a fairly entertaining finale to the season. I don't think I'll continue the show if it returns though, the loli smut ruins it for me. If they removed it I'd keep watching but that would never happen.

/XX/

I was simply highlighting that female directors have been known to work on such material in the past, rather than a condemnation of their work or an attempt to guess their reasoning behind making what they make.

You're certainly right to say that we cannot understand the motivations of particular individuals, which is especially true without direct interviews (not to mention the language barrier) but given that limitation we can still attempt to read something into the minds of the creators, as foolish as an exercise as that might be. After all, we attempt to do just that with all kinds of movies, TV shows, books etc.

So, just as an exercise, I will return to my two original examples. Firstly we have No Game No Life directed by Atsuko Ishizuka. This series features an abundance of what I'd call 'standard' fanservice shots. Upskirts, cleavage zooms, steamy bath scenes, scanty clothing and the like. It's all the basic stuff you've come to expect from anime and all the scenes are framed and presented as you'd expect. You've seen it a thousand times before and it's extremely boring and passionless. It feels entirely perfunctory, which is to say that it exists for cheap thrills. I haven't seen enough work directed by Atsuko Ishizuka, but I'd still guess that this had been thrown in to sell the show.

I get a very different feeling from the works of Sayo Yamamoto. Specifically, Lupin the Third: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine[ because that's a show dripping with nudity. While some of the fanservice in that series feels a little artless, on the whole I get a completely different impression from the nudity in that show then I do to something like No Game No Life. Fujiko features more creative and even sensual 'fanservice' than most anime.

The ED for that series especially feels like it falls more towards the 'erotic' side of the spectrum than the 'fanservice to pander to otaku' side of the spectrum (lets just assume for now that 'erotic' means classy nudity). I really got the impression that Sayo wanted to make Fujiko a sexy and powerful figure and that there was no shame in her nudity and that's how she was depicted in the series. It definitely felt like something that came from the creator of the series, rather than an external 'shadowy force' demanding that she insert a bunch of fanservice scenes into the show. It felt like an integral part of the entire project that she wanted to include.
Now this is the kind of complete argumentation I like from you! I did find lacking how you first exposed Ms. Yamamoto as an example the way you did earlier, but with all the little nuances and differences you asses for it well laid out on a post like this one I can only agree with you here, my pal.

But just saying... the artistic value perceived can act as a pretended camouflage or excuse, and it sometimes feels to me more innocent the ones that do it more in-your-face while true to themselves. Mushi-Pro's Animerama works played this too well... :p

cajunator

Banned
I only noticed they were all cars at Keonigsegg and Kenworth.

I noticed basically when they announced her name Chaika Trabant. The only other show that went this nuts with car names was Magic Knight Rayearth. I really enjoy this kind of thing.

Fate/Zero 1

Well, now I'm torn.

See, I'm quite confident in my appraisal of Prisma Illya as the best thing ever. But then how come this is also the best thing ever? Can there be two best things ever? Is that physically possible? Such mystery. Much philosophical. Wow.

But to translate into sane-people talk, yeah, I loved this. I must confess I didn't pay attention to the runtime before starting the episode, so I was a little surprised when it turned out to be a double-length setup episode of epic proportions, but there's no doubting it was a pleasant surprise. It felt pretty good watching the episode take all the time it needed to set up each piece on the board and lovingly illustrate each of their backgrounds and motivations.

And what a cast we've got assembled here. Kiritsugu and Kirei are compelling-as-fuck characters, I knew to expect that much going in, and that whole sequence where they were each analysing one another from afar was pretty delicious. But to be honest, out of the cast we've got so far, I don't think they're even the ones I'd want to "support" in this contest. (Well, inasmuch as choosing sides makes sense when I already know the outcome >.>)

For fairly obvious reasons, I'd probably throw my lot in behind Kariya, who I can only consider some kind of miracle. God, I love this guy. Born into the most twisted family in this whole godforsaken setting, yet he still manages to grow up into a nice decent guy with, you know, morals and values and shit (no thanks to you, Zouken, you utter bastard), and yet he's willing to throw his whole life away and serve the very family he turned his back on just for the sake of one little girl's happiness.

He's doomed on so many levels it's not even funny.

I also really like this Waver kid, with his simple goal of proving his own worth. I admire his guts, stealing that artifact from his teacher, coming all the way to Japan and hypnotising some old couple into giving him lodgings just so he can take part in the Grail War. He appeals to my desire to support the underdog. He seems a tenacious one. ...He's also very likely to end up crushed utterly.

Honestly the character I care least about in this picture is Rin's dad, who is quite the dapper gentleman but aside from that doesn't really seem to have much going for him to be honest. But that's okay. It's nice to have someone around who I don't mind seeing get horribly destroyed. Lord knows that's probably going to be the outcome for most of these characters.

But yeah, this feels like a really strong cast already, and we've only really met five out of seven Masters and none of the Servants. I can tell I'm going to love this show.

...Oh, and this probably goes without saying, but loli Rin is crazy adorable. Hot-headed and strong-willed even at such a young age, I see. She never did let Kirei give her any shit. God help me I love that girl.

A lot of people didnt like the exposition in this episode but I thought it was a perfect way to setup the hsow and get all the information out of the way, Keeping track of so many players in this game is not an easy feat to do and I think they did an admirable job so you know who is who and what their motives seem to be. Not everything is quite obvious at first and some hidden motives and ideals will be revealed later on but you have a solid idea of where this is all going. As for Rin, yes shes completely adorable and Cnet is going to love episode 10 so much.

AniHawk

I am soooo excited trhat NISA got it but it makes me wonder given how they package things how many releases it will be and how they will divide it up given the two thinpack nature of their current releases. they havent attempted a release of this size before.

all discs look to be inside one box for the premium edition, and then for the standards it's split between three dvd cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom