• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are cruel, I wanted to forget that :( I'm left with nobody to cheer.

At least Giant Killing it's not about Japanese players winning the World Cup.
Cheer for us in Colombia. We're one of the underdogs that haven't entered a world cup in ages. Plus la pasión of the dance. Or you could go for a safe bet like germany or netherlands.

Or go balls to the wall crazy and be patriotic with us muricans.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You are cruel, I wanted to forget that :( I'm left with nobody to cheer.

At least Giant Killing it's not about Japanese players winning the World Cup.

U S A

U S A

U S A

Germany won't know what hit them after tomorrow.

prepared to drown out my sorrows with lots of beer and anime.

No Game No Life end

It takes a lot of creativity to keep games with such fantastical designs and the protagonist's means of victory consistent right to the end.

This is definitely going to be top 10 for 2014. Hoping we get a season 2.

Jex

No Game No Life 8-9

After having the boldness to go with that altered ED in episode 8, I kind of wish they'd been more inventive during episode 9.
Just going to a black-and-white palette to show Shiro's loneliness without her brother around feels cliche. The series demonstrated earlier that both characters are practically paralyzed with fear when they lose contact with each other, so I feel like a more creative director would have done more with perspective and lighting to play up Shiro's fear at a world where Sora is gone.

I mean, as you said earlier, the show doesn't really do the serious tone very well, either on the writing or directing front. This isn't a big problem because they don't often aim to catch that tone, but when they go for it they really fall flat.

Next time someone complains of 3DCG in anime, we can link this!

lokscreen2jpg-b68d3c_960w.jpg

cajunator

Banned
It's not.

I saw a few KLK posts in there and it reminded me of that guy who sent PMs to a bunch of us who posted in the KLK thread about harassing Platinum. I'm actually interested in how this turns out because Platinum makes really fun games.

Exactly.

Gaf has too much fucking drama for drama's sake. Every game decision is the worst decision ever. Every anime falls off a cliff. Every sport is bloodsport. People need to lighten up and squee more.

Acosta

Cheer for us in Colombia. We're one of the underdogs that haven't entered a world cup in ages. Plus la pasión of the dance. Or you could go for a safe bet like germany or netherlands.

Or go balls to the wall crazy and be patriotic with us muricans.

hahaha, I will be happy for you if Colombia wins, that works for me (football it´s funnier when you want someone to win).

TUSR

Banned
Gaf has too much fucking drama for drama's sake. Every game decision is the worst decision ever. Every anime falls off a cliff. Every sport is bloodsport. People need to lighten up and squee more.
Agreed. I've never watched Legend of Korra but seeing Platinum attached to it makes me want to.

People need to lighten up.

Midonin

Chaika 11-12 + First Half Final Thoughts

My favorite thing about this show remains Chaika. The original one, the title character. Even if it is that question of free will again, she really is the heart of the show. And while I'm on the fence about Toru's sudden easiness to find his raison d'etere, when contrasted against the people in the floating castle, at least he's not actively trying to start a war. That's madness, plain and simple. Which is also why I'm starting to find Gilette's crew to be more sympathetic than they appeared at first glance. As far as fantasy shows for this season go, I like Escha & Logy a little more, but this was entertaining. I'll return for the second half in October.

jman2050

No Game No Life 3

This isn't Chess!

This isn't Chess at all!!!!

And yep, just as I thought, rampant cheating and rules bending galore. What's the point of a world where all conflict is decided by games if the games don't even have a properly constructed ruleset? You might as well just have people try to kill/con each other just as before! Oh yeah this show kinda owns too.

Jex

[No Game No Life: End]

That was a pretty solid ending. Yet.

Sorry to sound like a broken record or unimaginative commenter but:

- Most of the content of this episode = good
- Creepy little girl fanservice = really, really bad.

I can't really ignore how skeevy this show is, despite it's undeniably good qualities. It's a real shame. I wouldn't normally knock a show down so heavily for fanservice, especially in a series this silly, but it's so egregious that I have no choice.

fertygo

NGNL - 12

The galgun's conclusion and loli fanservice are lame, but the rest is great.. the build-up is pretty hype, will watch if there's S2.

Chaika
And now my number 2 show of the season has ended. Luckily there is a second season coming in the fall. The thing with Vivi turning into a Chaika surprised me though, didn't expect that to happen.
Yay, Toru and Chaika kissed! Yay, Fredrika Lives!

duckroll

Chaika - Episode 12 (End of Season 1)

Not as polished and exciting as episode 11, but a pretty decent stopping point. The highlight of the episode is definitely
the SD Frederica reveal. That was sooooo cute. Lol.
There are some decent hooks for season 2, but they didn't make it too evil of a cliffhanger. Would have liked to see better beam effects from BONES though. I guess they were rushed for time. Looking forward to season 2 in Fall. If they follow the novels, it should start off with another Red Chaika story. Mmmm. :)

[No Game No Life: End]

That was a pretty solid ending. Yet.

Sorry to sound like a broken record or unimaginative commenter but:

- Most of the content of this episode = good
- Creepy little girl fanservice = really, really bad.

I can't really ignore how skeevy this show is, despite it's undeniably good qualities. It's a real shame. I wouldn't normally knock a show down so heavily for fanservice, especially in a series this silly, but it's so egregious that I have no choice.

I always find it interesting when shows like this, with such heavy objectification of females, are directed by a woman.

Chaika - Episode 12 (End of Season 1)

Not as polished and exciting as episode 11, but a pretty decent stopping point. The highlight of the episode is definitely
the SD Frederica reveal. That was sooooo cute. Lol.
There are some decent hooks for season 2, but they didn't make it too evil of a cliffhanger. Would have liked to see better beam effects from BONES though. I guess they were rushed for time. Looking forward to season 2 in Fall. If they follow the novels, it should start off with another Red Chaika story. Mmmm. :)

Glad to know there's a second season coming. Only 2 episodes into the first but I'm enjoying it so far!

The melt down in the Legend of Korra by Platinum Games thread is amazing.

Platinum lost their way.

Well, Korra is trash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Game No Life 12 END

d79787739e.jpg

:cajun

So as expected
Steph came in and saved the day. But I think by the end of the series I was starting to get tired of the over elaborate super computer calculations for every game.
Despite that, entertaining series. I hope for a S2. That cliffhanger...

Jex

I always find it interesting when shows like this, with such heavy objectification of females, are directed by a woman.

I suppose it really just speaks to the state of the industry and the market in Japan. I mean Saya Yamamoto, the Michiko & Hatchin director, storyboarded some pretty over the top fanservice in Highschool of the Dead.

Of course, KyoAni get to escape this trend and actually keep their work pretty clean.

/XX/

Yes, you are right of course. Sloppy mistake of mine!

I suppose what I meant with underrated is that it doesn't get brought up very often when discussing older works. It is one of the best examples of its era I think.

It is indeed a peculiar work, but personally I adore the tone and the design of it all. It is very distinct, and creates this mythological, larger than life feel that works well with its presentation. There are also countless beautifully framed compositions in the span of just about an hour, it is is one of the most respectful and endearing adaptions I can think of.

That, and a romantic vagabond Wakamoto just feels right for some reason.
Hey, Caesnd... are you a visitor of the forums at GEARS Online? Because if not, totally recommended! Not many around there right now, but not too far away in the future with the incoming release of the 13th volume (which will include additional material) and Gothicmade probably stopping to be show at cinemas at every opportunity so they can focus on a following digital disc release (that it's definitely coming) it will get more interesting and lively for sure!

Also, didn't you have the Tatsunoko Productions' logo as an avatar? I liked that. :)

Girls und Panzer 5.5

Hm... Broccolini, eh?

Well... Recap episode. At least all the characters gets introduced here. Oh, and I guess Nishizumi did something that made Kuromorimine lose and not get 10 wins in a row.

Chaika - The Coffin Princess 12 Season 1 END

Holy shit. Did not see that hidden Chaika! Can't wait for season 2 in October. I think this was definitely my favorite show this season.

Rankings!

1. Chaika - The Coffin Princess (season 2 coming)
2. Selector Infected WIXOSS (season 2 coming)
3. The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostels
4. Knights of Sidonia
5. Brynhildr in the Darkness (latter half adaptation is not as good due to crunching)
6. No Game No Life
7. The Irregular at Magic High
8. Baby Steps
9. Nanana's Buried Treasure
10. One Week Friends
11. Black Bullet
12. Akuma no Riddle

Fall 2014 Anime Season is going to be so awesome with all these second seasons!

1. Chaika - The Coffin Princess Season 2
2. Selector Spread WIXOSS
3. Log Horizon Season 2
4. Psycho Pass Season 2

Midonin

Dai Shogun 11-12 + Final Thoughts

I think I'm the only one who's been consistently posting about this show. My completionist tendencies can be like that. The animation was nothing spectacular, and it wasn't full 3D either. The mecha and characters looked cool, at least. And while some may "objectively" call it the worst or some such, why would I want to be objective? What I took away from the show shapes things as much as what the show gave me. And while it was a mess, I enjoyed it more than the first halves of M3 and Mahouka.

The idea of combining a Japanese historical fantasy (with more than a few lionizing traits) and a classic anime genre has been done before. This is almost word for word the plot of Samurai Girls/Bride, but that ultimately pulled the concept off a little better. I don't mind dirty jokes or exploration of Japanese politics, but the politics didn't seem to have much of a thrust beyond "Keiichiro needs to become the Emperor", and the dirty jokes weren't quite as clever as Daimidaler. The idea of a robot with various forms always has interested me, and the mecha fights could be decent, if explodey. There's some potentially good ideas here, but none of them were articulated to the fullest extent that they could be.

All of the girls were likable. Chiharu, Kiriko, Hyougo even Houkouin. But the show's idea of sexuality feels less refined compared to the similar themes being expressed in Daimidaler. Ritz had much better control and a more positive portrayal of her sexuality than Houkouin, for example. While the heroes' mecha piloting had much less groping, it also felt somewhat more arbitrary. But it was never boring, and I did care about the characters to some extent. Using the scale for failures as established in My Year of Flops, I'd call it a Fiasco.

Chaika 12
Solid finale.
While Frederica surviving thing is certainly a level of BS, I don't care since mini her is adorable. Chaika and Toru were cute cute almost kissing. Too bad Gillette is "dead". Also did Vivi really turn into a Chaika. Thought she went gray because of the shock.

/XX/

I suppose it really just speaks to the state of the industry and the market in Japan. I mean Saya Yamamoto, the Michiko & Hatchin director, storyboarded some pretty over the top fanservice in Highschool of the Dead.
Most sexy Stocking's bondage on her episode for P&SwG, plus the explosive ED she conceived for Lupin the Third: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine... you know, I'm not sure if the industry is forcing her to pick doing such things when she had a proper creative control over the content. Maybe, could be, that she just likes to do that!

I didn't want to seem insolent with that response... I understand well that position and I share part of the concerns, Jexhius, I sure do... it is isolating personal examples (unclear to me) with which I see faults in that argument. It is easier to blame it all on an intangible shadow forcing it all than knowing well what exactly wants to achieve each person in question.

Because, really, I don't think we should be judging the motivations behind specific individuals we don't nearly know as well to do that, that's all! It can be insulting (and even more denigrating that whatever "bad habit" anyone can be accused of) to just attribute one's passion for anything to mere circumstances foreign to your own will, as if someone is only an immature human without volition and understanding of what anyone "should be rightfully doing" instead.

cajunator

Banned
Most sexy Stocking's bondage on her episode for P&SwG, plus the explosive ED she conceived for Lupin the Third: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine... you know, I'm not sure if the industry is forcing her to pick doing such things when she had a proper creative control over the content. Maybe, could be that simply she just likes to do that!

I approve of this

No Game No Life 8-9

The way this game played out reminded me enough of weird Death Note shenanigans that I had fun. The rules were fuzzier than usual this time around (
If Sora's existence was "erased", but Shiro was allowed to remember him because she was his partner for the game, then why did she lose some memories and keep others?
), but that weirdness ultimately led to a pretty satisfying unraveling of a logical thread.

I still wish the show wasn't making so many overtures to the sorts of people who like 11-year-old cameltoe (see: Warbeast ambassador being a little girl, Shiro feeling up Steph). But now that they've established their willingness to be tasteless, I'm glad they sometimes play off that expectation they've created to produce comedy. If this series wasn't so willing to poke fun at itself and at its characters (protagonists included), it'd be a lot harder to put up with its faults.

After having the boldness to go with that altered ED in episode 8, I kind of wish they'd been more inventive during episode 9.
Just going to a black-and-white palette to show Shiro's loneliness without her brother around feels cliche. The series demonstrated earlier that both characters are practically paralyzed with fear when they lose contact with each other, so I feel like a more creative director would have done more with perspective and lighting to play up Shiro's fear at a world where Sora is gone.

Regarding the rules of the game , that was actually a trap made by sora in the rules.
Each part is supposed to be a part of you , but he made it so that the necessary parts for winning were left behind on purpose so that shiro not only have the winning moves but enough memories so that she could look for him after he gave his memories during the game.
When he was saying " it can be anything" he was lying but at the time you couldn't prove the cheat.( the fact that sora having devised the game knew what part were for each piece ) kurami did start to have suspicions during the game but it was too late and couldn't prove that sora knew.
All sora had to do was to force kurami to play a certain way so that the 3 piece left were those ones to win . it was yet again a game decided before the game had started.

Syrinx

Happiness Charge Precure 21

More or less what was expected to happen. I'm not sure how Princess, Lovely, and Honey will be able to help Fortune now that she's fighting Phantom in
the Precure graveyard
, but they'll find a way and Fortune will probably join up with them after that.

I didn't get how Yuuko and Megumi were telling Hime to go tell Iona that she didn't mean to unleash all this evil and chaos on the world when she opened the box. Like...do they think that will make her feel better? Is she supposed to say "Oh wait, you didn't mean to unleash the forces that seek to destroy the world and fill it with despair upon the world, getting my beloved sister captured in the process? Oh we're totally good then!" There are some things you can't fix by saying you're sorry.

I did like how Hime told Megumi and Yuuko to stop brushing off what she did with "It can't be helped" and whatnot. Because she's right; that's a massive burden on her shoulders and they really don't know how that feels.

Jex

[Chaika End]

I had kind of hoped for some nice animation for the battles in this episode but it pretty much looked like a standard episode, which is a bit disappointing.

Otherwise, as my man cosmicblizzard said, this was an average ending to a forgettable show. It simply filed the time between better shows. It doesn't do anything substantially better from a directorial, story, animation or writing standpoint than any other show in this ilk and as such it's not really worth recommending or even remembering.

Hitsugi no Chaika 12 END

super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-new-challenger-approaching.gif

I think? Maybe?
Did Vivi just turn into a fucking Chaika? What the hell?

I told you guys
Frederica did not die. But I was NOT FUCKING EXPECTING THAT 10/10 EPISODE JUST FOR THAT

Fairly enjoyable series. Will certainly watch the second season.

Midonin

If Her Flag Breaks 11-12

A story that starts out a fantasy, segues into a
virtual reality sci-fi story involving the little sister of one of the main characters. This is bringing up good memories of when I played World's end and happy birthday.
Though there are many shows out there that integrate the VN mechanics into an anime, they've all gone about it in different ways. Kaminomi ultimately used it as a means of socialization, NouCome used it as the tale of a dickish god playing around with mortals, but here it's some kind of science-fantasy. Concepts, such a moldable thing. Though exposition heavy, episode 12 was really enjoyable, and Serika's a nice, if rather last minute, addition to the cast. I'm glad this gets one more episode for the dungeon crawling party to do their thing, because this is another example of what I'm talking about. My favorite shows aren't necessarily the ones that avoid "anime tropes", but the ones that embrace them and play around with them, using the art of intertextuality. I'll try to decode exactly what Gaworare was trying to say next week, but it almost certainly does have something.

fertygo

Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG - 12

Holy shit.. that's some sight, man this 2nd season is much more pleasing me.. three previous episode before this also effing awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom