• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I mean, they just finished with Kyoukai no Konata and Chuu2-2. Neither of those are exactly wholesome, to say the least.
They don't really carry a lot of ill proportioned characters in them though, outside of cat mom. Cat mom is horror incarnate though.

Cat mom was only the daily reminder of "in case you forgot this is anime, FUCK YOU HERE'S A CAT MOM. Also we'll be having an episode where they all become idols and dance/sing because *fart noises*"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So much of what you said here mirrors my own feelings about the show. It's incredibly frustrating to me, or was, since at this point I've accepted it's not what I was hoping for. I won't go into to much detail, but for me the interest doesn't come so much from the battle scenes, but from the broader aspects of the setting itself. Unfortunately it's almost entirely unwilling to focus on those things I find interesting, and inconsistent in execution even when it gets to them. I plan to check out the manga, but all I really expect are better art and hopefully pacing. Maybe afterwards I'll come back and air my grievances in full.
I don't know if the world building is actually interesting, or if it's just a matter of seeing if the author can explain the insanity of the setting. Like with Attack on Titan and the stupidity involving the walls.
Certainly it doesn't evoke the same feelings of wonderment and excitement as Aria or even the early episodes of Gargantia anyway.

That said, I'm sort of glad that they are mostly show-don't tell with a lot of their stuff. Instead of blahblahblahing about the lack of inertial dampeners, they can just show people going splat when the ship decelerates quickly and you get the same idea.

Of course, why would you build a ship like that is a whole other question entirely that isn't really addressed. lol

Selector Infected WIXOSS - 05

Come one girls , it's a hidden magical battle for wishes to be granted , and NONE OF YOU ever wondered what happens when you lose ?

This set of events was predictable.
What i just don't understand is WHY did she accept a battle like that ? Your point was to NOT battle other selectors ? that's what you said in the card shop ?
Even if you didn't know, you can refuse , right ? Your partner should have been able to tell you that much ?

WHY in the godness incarnate did you accept ? Did your 2 previous loses weren't enough ?

I can't even say that the punishment was harsh, since if i'm participating in a twisted game like this , it's clear that there are rules like that involved. Better , there was more than enough warnings.pick up the hints , little girl !
But hey it's over ...

In other news , even tama can NOT be battle hungry when her master is angry. Akira that was a masterfull provoke ( AGAIN ) , but i'm pretty sure you're gonna be wrecked..at least i hope so.

Jex

Seems like an odd comparison to make, the two shows aren't even remotely similar.

If you want to talk SHAFT, I actually dislike Hidamari Sketch for many of the same reasons I dislike K-On. But that's not quite as well-known!

I, at least, appreciate your consistency.

Free 03

dRd5NLV.gif

So a guy who doesn't know how to swim joins the swim club. I guess he assumes they'll teach him. His calculation thing was over the top but I guess they wanted to demonstrate the contrast between his style and how "free" Haruka is. Nagisa's fawning over Rei was a bit much. I'm going to assume these guys' sexuality is never stated.

Jex

Free 01

H8FJTGh.gif

So all the guys have girls names and were all in some sort of swimming club together. Two of them seem to have attitude problems.

Oh boy is this show ever manservicey. Lots of stripping and swimmer upper bodies.

Fixed.
The weirdest thing about Free's "manservice" is that it isn't even... attractive. It's super weird. They hardly look like humans at all. I can see what they were kinda going for with the designs, but it really doesn't work.

How can you know duckroll????? Are you the targeted demographic????

Branduil

TRIGGER is going to Anime Expo

iuWUomfEKTeJA.jpg

Hello everyone! We’d like to update our lovely backers on the next event that TRIGGER will be attending in the US. Our next stop is Anime Expo in LA!

While the Little Witch Academia crew will not be attending this event, you will be able to meet other TRIGGER staff, the Kill La Kill crew and voice actresses, and also meet us up close at the autograph sessions! Also be sure to drop by the Good Smile booth, where a Japan-exclusive Little Witch Academia illustration released in Ultra Jump magazine will be sold as a poster in the US for the first time! Along with Little Witch Academia 2, we also have two new series’ in the making, which we will talk about at the TRIGGER panel! We look forward to seeing everyone there!

http://www.anime-expo.org/
https://guidebook.com/guide/19309/schedule/#date/07-03-2014

Selector Infected WIXOSS - 06

Soooooo MUCH DESPAIR,

So much crying..

Still not at the black rock shooter level , but we're getting there.

I thought they would keep hitoe out of the picture but they keep showing her to bring sadness ...

So akira actually brought down the frail girl in order to get free wins ?
, that's dirty ..you're not intresting anymore i guess.

But that part :

Selector%20Infected%20WIXOSS%20-%2006.jpg

You bet i was

So much SALT
So much hypocrisy

You bet she was enjoying this , since you baited her out of anger to battle you, you just didn't realise that your stratégy was bollocks if you can't actually use your opponent wish at your advantage. So focused on her opponent , she didn't see the giant cliff in the front .. That turn of events at the studio was masterfull.

Jex

I posted this in the Ping Pong the Animation OT, but got no reply, so I figure I'll repost it here - it's also an opportunity for me to reiterate my appreciation for the show and the gaffers who introduced it to me:

[...]

One question about the final episode: what did people get out of the scene where the older generation reunites outside the match? Koizumi expresses what seems to be the closest thing to outright resentment he's capable of, asking Kazama directly about the Butterfly Jo affair. Kazama reacts completely tactlessly, shrugging it off. Koizumi challenges him, and he continues to be a total sleazeball, offering Tamura one of his wares. None of this appears to be a joke. Then the tone of the scene completely changes. Koizumi says some things that are intentionally obscured and the three seem to reconcile, "returning" to their earlier days. I can't help but feel like I missed something significant here. I'll probably feel like a fool when someone explains it to me.
The key here, is context. The context is the very close relationship these three characters have had and it's also the decades that have passed since the original incident. The key line is probably when Obaba says "Liar! That's very you, though". It's pretty clear that Kazama's response to Koizumi is pretty typical of how Kazama is as a person and that's always been a part of his personality, but they were still friends with him before, which is why Koizumi laughs it off. Kazama doesn't do what he does maliciously, it's just part of who he is. Decades may have passed but these people are still the same and this particular situation has brought them together in a manner that allows them to remember the old days. That's all.

Branduil

Cat mom was only the daily reminder of "in case you forgot this is anime, FUCK YOU HERE'S A CAT MOM. Also we'll be having an episode where they all become idols and dance/sing because *fart noises*"

Not sure how that's a reminder when the entirety of the show is low-rent anime tropes, right down to the incest jokes and implied beautiful things.

probably the wrong place to ask but might as well.

Anybody going to AX and needs a roommate? Friends bailed and I was originally going to commute but I want to see my options.

Link Man

Banned
So, wow. Seems I missed a lot today.

If it's not in poor taste to ask, is cnet's ban permanent?

And what happens to discussions of shows such as Black Bullet?

Branduil

Of the episodes I watched, the idol one was the only one that didn't make me hate myself.

Because it's the only episode that embraces the show's inherent stupidity. Every other episode is a serious business plot draped over anime caricatures and hackneyed cliches.

Selector Infected WIXOSS - 07
Wooow

just woow

The crazy falling into madness continues , this time witha a bit of adrenaline rush.
Selector%20Infected%20WIXOSS%20-%2007.jpg

"it" means what it means , not what you guys think it means.

And some SdBurton.
Just like Hitoe , akira is still in the picture! And she hasn't lost her memories..i kinda want to see how her wish got reverted , but that face is ... well not the brightest thing i had in mind !

It's going to be one hell of the set of events.
What happens in WIXOSS when you deck runs out ? do you just shuffle and continue ? Because eternity battles might just be possible at this rate.

Rainbow 01

Well this is something.

This starts post world war 2 with prisoners boarding a public bus with their guard, odd but lets go with it. After taking a beating and being shamed by a medical inspect from the prison doctor our prisoners meet Kiritsugu of Fate/Zero. They decide to pick a fight with him, bad idea kids.

4iJsF7a.gif

Good episode, you really get the dark tone they're going for. The animation style kind of reminds be of AOT. Big contrast to the other anime I just started. Looking forward to see where this goes.

Ban was permanent.

As for discussion of shows that are either inherently lewd or hold elements of unacceptable lewdness, no idea.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just to be clear, we are referring to shows that are actually lewd like f...bu (I'm being extra careful here) vs say OH EM GEE they held hands lewd lewd lewd ・:*:・(*/////∇/////*)・:*:・

Why wouldn't you be able to talk about Black Bullet as long as you don't post lewd images or talk about creepy stuff? Most of the talk about that show is complaining about the poor writing anyway. People seem to be over-thinking Duckroll's warning. I would think it would be pretty obvious what's over the line.

Why wouldn't you be able to talk about Black Bullet as long as you don't post lewd images or talk about creepy stuff? Most of the talk about that show is complaining about the poor writing anyway. People seem to be over-thinking Duckroll's warning. I would think it would be pretty obvious what's over the line.

All I want to know is if we can discuss the strength of the nuanced writing and themes in Boku no Pico.

I guess I also want to know how my ..."Show" reviews for things like f...bu and later works like La .... Girl would fare at this point, since I mainly use euphemisms instead

Thoraxes

Is it really still called Star Blazers? That seems silly.

Yes. They're just using the legacy name after all. Plus it's easier to say than Uchū Senkan Yamato Ni-ichi-kyū-kyū (not that anyone outside of a really nice audience like myself are going to buy them anyways though). I suppose it wouldn't matter one way or the other!

All the subs, character names, and Yamato itself are appropriately subtitled on the releases though.
In before firehawk complains that there's no dogfighting at that point in the show.

I'll brace myself!

Defuser

From what I interpret from duckroll's post imo is that shows like black bullet or any lewd shows.etc can be still discuss just make sure your post doesn't come off disturbing/creepy to others like professing your preference/love to lolis/fanservice pointlessly.etc

If that is the case cajun would have a hard time surviving in animegaf if he doesn't keep his overbearing love for cute things unfortunately in most underage girls in check.

Hidamari Sketch 12 END

Overall Hidamari Sketch started well but became kind of average as it went along. The art was endearing enough to keep going. None of the jokes did anything for me and sensei's shtick was a little too absurd for me. They also managed to show Yuno in the bath every episode. Miyako was the highlight of the show, her wide faces were the best and she is just adorable.

Overall I'd give it 2 wide faces out of 3.

Aw :\ Well, at least you liked some parts of the first season. There's 2 OVA episodes that's a part of season 1 too though.

And cnet got perma'd? RIP

Aw :\ Well, at least you liked some parts of the first season. There's 2 OVA episodes that's a part of season 1 too though.

I was laughing during the first two episodes but then it stopped. I don't know if the humour got old or if there was a writing drop off but it just didn't click with me after that. I'll probably come back to the second season at a later time.

fertygo

Bah Cnet got perma? aww.. I don't always agree with the guy and sometime you know yeahhh.. but beside Corvo he one of poster that sure can express his thought with word.. Shame he can't cut off his tendency then.

Quasar

Is that even possible with the stuff they talk about it in there?

Certainly it would be tough posting images from say Nana to Kaoru, Prison School, or Minamoto-kun Monogatari (manga I read) without running afoul. At least if you wanted to post memorable images.

Pooya

kara no kyoukai 1-7 rewatch

I watched these some years ago, didn't really care about any of them. I decided to watch them again before I watch the new one and stay night for science stuff, being stuck in bed post surgery I don't have much to do right now anyway.

At the time I thought these movies actually looked good, now I dislike it. They don't look as refined as f/z does, faces look kinda off often, action scenes are no where as good , the little there is.

I still rolled my eyes through the stories, only 5th one is remotely enjoyable and actually feels like a movie. Aozaki fight scenes are closest thing to something I could say I like. Mahoyo anime by ufotable after fsn could be cool if it happened...

I've seen concerns about director of 6th one being director of fsn now, I'm not sure what's wrong with that one in particular that would be the director's fault specifically, it didn't feel worse than the rest to me, 5TH one aside. It's not like Ei Aoki one is any good either...

overall huge waste of time, I find most of it too incoherent and jumpy to care about or follow.
now onto watching the new one...

Theonik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom