• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akainu

Saving anime never stops feeling good.

2014-06-2802.01.03ydkew.jpg
? That's not Hunter x Hunter.

I'm looking at my CLAMP collection right now. Yeah, I think I am!

Well there's the problem you become attracted to noodle people.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
During the Animation Do short, the UPPER BODIES were a lot softer around the edges and more realistic. In fact, the designs were, overall, superior to what we got in the anime, which took the kind of boniness that characterizes certain shounen sports manga/anime (PoT, KuroBake) and cranked it up to 11, so now it's just uncanny valley and razor sharp hard corners everywhere.

It's kind of like the Sailor Moon -> Sailor Moon Crystal shift, with the latter fully embracing its shoujo heritage while the former was kind of a middle ground between Shoujo Art™ and the Takahashi-esque style of the 90s.

Theonik

I think largely production factors into that.
Going from a 1-2 minute short to a full cour series certain corners must be cut.

Shergal

The Wind Rises
I really enjoyed it. "Enjoy" might not be the best word, I'd rather say my time with it was satisfying.

Some scattered thoughts:
-Perhaps because of my priorities and interests, but I can't watch the movie and NOT think about animation and being an animator in Japan. All the parallelisms are so there, from the romanticized aura given to a rather "cursed" (as the movie liked to put it) endeavour, to the dilemma between creating what you love and delivering the expected product. Jiro, of course, is Miyazaki's mirror image.
PxkNX1r.jpg
TZGYEgJ.jpg

I read this dialog and I'm like "Oh you".

-It stood out to me how much of the screentime is spent travelling, or generally moving around, preferable in a vehicle. Cars, trains, carts, boats, walking, planes of course. There's such an emphasis on this, it makes the film feel restless. And conceptually, too: whenever it seems like we are having a quiet moment, something arises for Jiro. Be it Honjo wanting to go for a walk, or an emergency call about Nahoko's sickness, or the Earthquake itself, or the Special Police searching for him. I think the only moments of solace and rest he gets during the film are with Naoko, and the one that is most emphasized, where he falls asleep as if finally letting go, is the last time they meet. It got to be a very stressful life, sure came through.

-As has been said multiple times, this is a film only Miyazaki could have made. He more than anybody else understands the position of the main character, but it's not just about that. The level of meticulousness on every single shot of this film is off the charts, even for him. There is of course a very big budget and a very ample schedule to work with, but the subject being so specific and the movie covering so many places and times, it has to come from an obsessed creator. Miyazaki is certainly the most obsessed one when it comes to planes, and it carries over. I doubt anyone else in the entire film industry could make a period movie as thoroughly researched as this, down to the littlest drawing on a corner.

Haly

I think largely production factors into that.
Going from a 1-2 minute short to a full cour series certain corners must be cut.

But the designs haven't gotten less complex at all, it was entirely an art style shift.

The faces, in particular, were softer and rounder in Animation Do Sexy Swimming, which I assume their artists are more familiar with than the PERFONA sharp faces of the anime proper. So they were moving further away from their comfort zone.

(Which, I guess, partially explains the shift, because they were chasing that lucrative shounen/yaoi demographic and didn't want Free! to be associated too closely with their moeblob properties.)

Dynedom

Started watching the LodossTV series.

:(

What did they do to you, Deedlit?

The Welcome to Lodoss Island bits are hilarious though.

Maybe I should have limited my exposure to this to the excellent OP only. :(

Theonik

Maybe I should have limited my exposure to this to the excellent OP only. :(
We warned you.

I'd say they actually sharpened the corners.
When you cut a corner you create more corners. Cornet 101.

But the designs haven't gotten less complex at all, it was entirely an art style shift.
Sharp is easier to draw and animate actually. More simple geometry without losing detail.

/XX/

How come we didn't get anything on the Friday Road SHOW! TV programme yesterday (Friday, 27 in Japan) and instead we get the first couple of animated cuts from When Marnie Was There on a web CM for a house-construction company? A new kind of Studio Ghibli's film promotion or is NTV slacking? :p

-Perhaps because of my priorities and interests, but I can't watch the movie and NOT think about animation and being an animator in Japan. All the parallelisms are so there, from the romanticized aura given to a rather "cursed" (as the movie liked to put it) endeavour, to the dilemma between creating what you love and delivering the expected product. Jiro, of course, is Miyazaki's mirror image.
Should have gone through with making him an anthropomorphic pig again to give even more emphasis to it, like he first did on the graphical novel. Conservatives that lauded Jirō Horikoshi's image would have gone even more vehemently after him, and it would probably have been found disrespectful by the relatives of Mr. Horikoshi... but it also would have repelled suspicions from uninformed people on Mr. Miyazaki's allegorising message that some of them attributed to this work, especially after coinciding this film in theatres with a new wave of apologist cinema like, for example, The Eternal Zero is.

cajunator

Banned
jeebus rabbit cafe 12

was too cute :O

seriously wtf happened here? something about cameltoes? no more borderline lewd stuff?

I guess stick to cute gifs.

iRIc7dgAsH6QK.gif

Im ok with this

Seems like an odd comparison to make, the two shows aren't even remotely similar.

If you want to talk SHAFT, I actually dislike Hidamari Sketch for many of the same reasons I dislike K-On. But that's not quite as well-known!

smfh

Okay, I've watched too many cute girls doing cute things recently. Anyone have any recommendations that aren't too moe? I'm also willing to do watchbets if anyone is interested.

From The New World

Texhnolyze
Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Boogiepop Phantom
Planetes
Paranoia Agent

Also these are fine choices

I really wanted to buy Toradora bluray but I have the DVDs already.

Same buuuuut...I might double dip. Looks like I have to decide soon!
Im ending up with a lot of dvd extra copies when I upgrade to bluray. might sell off some of them if I can bear to part.

If NGNL is one of the most praised shows of the season coming off a Spring like this then there really is a problem.

NGNL is legit good.

dot dot freakin' dot. Apparently winning isn't actually enough to win.

This is actually the best possible outcome if Kurumi didnt win though. Trust me KYH is very worthy.

I mean, they just finished with Kyoukai no Konata and Chuu2-2. Neither of those are exactly wholesome, to say the least.

Bless them for those two

man, I can't believe I only saw Haly's League/Dota 2 analogies now otherwise I would have had something to say :/

anyway, anyone here have a date for the Akame ga KILL! anime and what online service it's on? I've got a Crunchyroll sub, so if it's on that it would be great.

I've recently caught up with the manga and need more Esdese in my life.

cajunator

Banned
Cat mom was only the daily reminder of "in case you forgot this is anime, FUCK YOU HERE'S A CAT MOM. Also we'll be having an episode where they all become idols and dance/sing because *fart noises*"

She was the best part of KNK though!

TRIGGER is going to Anime Expo

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Selector Infected WIXOSS - 06

Soooooo MUCH DESPAIR,

So much crying..

Still not at the black rock shooter level , but we're getting there.

I thought they would keep hitoe out of the picture but they keep showing her to bring sadness ...

So akira actually brought down the frail girl in order to get free wins ?
, that's dirty ..you're not intresting anymore i guess.

But that part :

So much SALT
So much hypocrisy

You bet she was enjoying this , since you baited her out of anger to battle you, you just didn't realise that your stratégy was bollocks if you can't actually use your opponent wish at your advantage. So focused on her opponent , she didn't see the giant cliff in the front .. That turn of events at the studio was masterfull.

The trail of sadness that Madoka hath wrought. Im not surprised that there are imitators but I never expected so many so soon.

From what I interpret from duckroll's post imo is that shows like black bullet or any lewd shows.etc can be still discuss just make sure your post doesn't come off disturbing/creepy to others like professing your preference/love to lolis/fanservice pointlessly.etc

If that is the case cajun would have a hard time surviving in animegaf if he doesn't keep his overbearing love for cute things unfortunately in most underage girls in check.

Nah I doubt I have to worry much at all.

/XX/

I'm in that constant fear that the anime will not do the manga justice.

But we'll see.

I was just scouring Satomi Akesaka's credits to see if I know her from anywhere as Esdese's voice is priority #1 for me, but I've not seen anything she's in.

Also, I wonder if they'll use the terrible official romanised names? I guess they'll have to, but that would make me so sad.

Less Esdeath, more Esdese.

I was just scouring Satomi Akesaka's credits to see if I know her from anywhere as Esdese's voice is priority #1 for me, but I've not seen anything she's in.

Also, I wonder if they'll use the terrible official romanised names? I guess they'll have to, but that would make me so sad.

Less Esdeath, more Esdese.
Esdeath is just such an awful change and I refuse to refer to them as those new names. In fact I intend to pretend like they do not exist like many people in the Hunter x Hunter fanbase did with their names.

That said nailing Esdese, Akame and Wave's VAs are huge for me. The others I can get by with whoever.

Esdeath is just such an awful change and I refuse to refer to them as those new names. In fact I intend to pretend like they do not exist like many people in the Hunter x Hunter fanbase did with their names.

That said nailing Esdese, Akame and Wave's VAs are huge for me. The others I can get by with whoever.

yeah, agreed. Although I'm not too bothered with Akame, people will see why when they watch the anime.

It's a fun manga, hoping for a quality production.

URGENT COMMUNITY MESSAGE

I feel a bit guilty since largely when I complain about lewd stuff I don't genuinely feel uncomfortable with it (outside of beautiful things) but I agree with this. I know I'm not popular when it comes to this topic but I genuinely want to be able to surf this thread and talk with the community in public places and not have to scroll fast and pray somebody didn't see a half naked girl over my shoulder. Heck I want people in other communities to reference AnimeGAF and not immediately think we're only about waifus and perverted stuff.

Jintor

Heck I want people in other communities to reference AnimeGAF and not immediately think we're only about waifus and perverted stuff.

Most of those people who do that probably never come in here and thus will remain ignorant of any changes we make in this thread.

Not that I disagree with Duckroll's line by any measure. But that specific goal, at least, is futile.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Most of those people who do that probably never come in here and thus will remain ignorant of any changes we make in this thread.

Not that I disagree with Duckroll's line by any measure. But that specific goal, at least, is futile.

This is how people see anime anyway:

aifjlol.gif

You can't win. lol
It's like trying to convince your grandfather that games are a legitimate medium for artistic expression!

the issue was that even if they attempted to come here, barging in and it being a picture dump of girls didn't really help. I feel this might be the snapping point of DTL though. If he's not allowed to post suggestive images of men, I don't know what he'll do.

I'm most curious about which parts get cut out or scaled down since there are a lot of graphic deaths and rapes.

i.e. Chapter 23.5

yeah. and
Wild Hunt
legitimately made me uncomfortable. Although I doubt the anime will get that far.

the issue was that even if they attempted to come here, barging in and it being a picture dump of girls didn't really help. I feel this might be the snapping point of DTL though. If he's not allowed to post suggestive images of men, I don't know what he'll do.

he'll just post more in MangaGAF

No but it can fix the image in other places on gaf that discuss largely Japanese anime/manga/games both toonami gaf and manga gaf I've seen discuss duckrolls post which I think is generally a good thing not just for those communities but this one too.

Chariot

Why should anyone that isn't interested in anime come here? People who hate anime will just stay out. I think the main focus are people who are actually already here and feel uncomfortable.

Haly

I feel a bit guilty since largely when I complain about lewd stuff I don't genuinely feel uncomfortable with it (outside of beautiful things) but I agree with this.

Don't, because this change was a long time coming. There were maybe 2 years of discontent and grumbling behind this shift.

It's kind of like WWI, with cnet's post being Archduke Ferdinand's assassination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom