• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admiral's Log: Day 331

Today I have discovered that lewdness in anime discussions will be no longer allowed. All is going according to keikaku.

Note to self: Keikaku means plan

Second Note to self: Now the plan can proceed to the next phase. Moe anime girls you're next

Tw3TdYA.gif

the issue was that even if they attempted to come here, barging in and it being a picture dump of girls didn't really help. I feel this might be the snapping point of DTL though. If he's not allowed to post suggestive images of men, I don't know what he'll do.
While true a lot of people have their own notions about anime in general so if they think its nothing but moe and lewd, then you're out on one point if they come in here and see a post like chickdigger802 who posted a completely innocent gif of a scene from Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka then they feel their position is reinforced.

That said I certainly don't promote lewd and image spam and totally agree with everything duckroll said.

Chariot

Don't, because this change was a long time coming. There were maybe 2 years of discontent and grumbling behind this shift.

It's kind of like WWI, with cnet's post being Archduke Ferdinand's assassination.
I think that metaphor has bad implications :,D

The World is Still Beautiful 3

I stopped watching this ages ago because I couldn't get over the low quality sound, but seems I stopped at the wrong time!

Nike's awesome. Nice to see their relationship progress.

Although her rain song being pseudo-Jpop still sorta weirds me out.

The fact that somebody made a metaphor/analogy about a world war and didn't choose Nazis means they have earned my disdain.

Also on the topic of "hot X" threads, anybody remember that thread in gaming? Where the OP wanted to sound so smart he chose the most fucking annoying word for "beautiful" he could find? It was fucking page after page of pure lolz

BluWacky

Some time ago, duckroll suggested a summer of BONES. As my summer has just about started, I thought I'd see how much of it I could stick out. I can't watch to a schedule - life doesn't work that way - and I have no particular intention of watching everything in the right order or not getting bored with things, but I thought I'd try and revisit some old favourites and watch bits of the shows that I either never finished or never tried.

So, up first:

Clockwork Fighters - Hiwou's War 1

BONES's first official show (leaving aside the Escaflowne movie, I guess, which I could do with rewatching someday soon) from 2001. This is one of the BONES shows I've never seen anything of beyond OP/ED clips on Youtube.

This show is undeniably aimed at children (virtually its entire principal cast is about 10 years old) but there's something more charming about its typical adventure story vibes and vibrant animation than most shows of this ilk. It's also not really "selling" anything - perhaps the intention was to merchandise the clockwork machines/toys that figure so prominently, but they don't seem like an immediate selling point.

The "clockwork" conceit is a good one - it lends itself to some amusing scenes, such as the clockwork retelling of the Hakkenden story that Hiwou decides to mess up or even the very Escaflowne-esque awakening of the Homura, the giant clockwork robot stored in the village shrine by Hiwou's father that can only be unlocked by the family heirloom. The design of the machines is also entertaining - I enjoyed the giant clockwork spider that the villain rides, for instance.

The show I believe is not digitally animated - it looks reminiscent of the better mid-to-late 90s shows in terms of colour palette and softness of look, rather than the harshness of much early digital anime from the 00s. Visual design is generally interesting and direction sound; there's one great shot which "zooms in" on the villain, and I'm sure many here would appreciate the Dezaki end cards! Music is odd but I can't quite put my finger on why - there was a point where I thought something had been taken from the Chrono Cross soundtrack, of all things.

I wouldn't necessarily "recommend" this show but it seems decent enough for what it is. I would also recommend not making fun of me for the number of times I have written "giant clockwork" in this post.

Ok Aldnoah Zero. Looks like you have my interest once again. Mainly because I had forgotten Urobuchi was writing you. And unlike others here I still hold that name in high regard. Also I have no hope for that blonde guy and girl of being in a relationship, since they'll probably die or betray each other or something really dark.

Pooya

maybe aldnoah's ost isn't going to be so bad.

I'd make ot thread for it if someone isn't making one already, I won't leave this one for dead like last time promise :3 i'll watch this to the end no matter what...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
maybe aldnoah's ost isn't going to be so bad.

I'd make ot thread for it if someone isn't making one already, I won't leave this one for dead like last time promise :3 i'll watch this to the end no matter what...

I was sure duckroll was going to do it. I'm pretty excited for the show. Some of the character designs have grown on me.

I feel a bit guilty since largely when I complain about lewd stuff I don't genuinely feel uncomfortable with it (outside of beautiful things) but I agree with this. I know I'm not popular when it comes to this topic but I genuinely want to be able to surf this thread and talk with the community in public places and not have to scroll fast and pray somebody didn't see a half naked girl over my shoulder. Heck I want people in other communities to reference AnimeGAF and not immediately think we're only about waifus and perverted stuff.

I might be blind , but i don't recall such things being posted here.
i thought that was the point of why we had the self imposed rule of posting things NSFW as links in case people want to see a specific information.

I did distance myself from this thread the past month ( i'm posting less often )but i still don't recall specific moments where something like that was posted.

And for the other communities , they are biased, that's why they are so quick to accuse "anime avatars" no matter what you're talking about in a heated debate. It's not even about what we do but what they think we're doing and this is misconceptions that themselves don't try to correct.

Jarmel

Banned

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The music is definitely similar to Unicorn. If he's channeling his stuff from Unicorn, I'll be very happy. Still that 3D....

Urobuchi isn't writing it though.

Despite the last two episodes of F/Z being sort of iffy I'm in for Aoki.

jbug617

Banned
Is there any big Dragonball news coming? Funimation for the past week have been tweeting about their history with the Dragonball series.

Defuser

With Urobuchi busy with Kamer Rider Gaim I don't think he has time for others. I won't blame him since Gaim is sooooooo fuckin good.

Tenumi

Banned
Is there any big Dragonball news coming? Funimation for the past week have been tweeting about their history with the Dragonball series.

Not that I'm aware of, besides Battle of Gods having a theatrical release date.

With Urobuchi busy with Kamer Rider Gaim I don't think he has time for others. I won't blame him since Gaim is sooooooo fuckin good.

Oh yeah. Although he's probably getting close to the end of Gaim.

HappinessCharge Precure 21

YuuYuu does what YuuYuu pleases! RUN AROUND AS A CHICK! BOMB THE FUCK OUT OF COUNTLESS TERRIBADS BECAUSE THAT'S HOW I ROLL!

Who needs Cure Nafe when I'm capable of

HEALING
SUPPORT EFFECTS
BOMBING THINGS
TELEPORTING

We seem to be very capable people!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So anyone remember Anime Sols? I forgot about them myself since I missed the first boxset of Oniisama e and just figured I would wait until everything is done before thinking of picking up the whole series in one go.

Anyhow, the dude running it all was on ANNCast for an update: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2014-06-27/.76044

• Creamy Mami and Oniisama e are fully funded and the first volume of each are available to buy on Rightstuf if you didn't get it through their site.
  • In that regard, Creamy Mami, Oniisama e, and Black Jack are the only successful shows on the site.
  • He concludes the reason that is the case is because those are the only three shows that they have featured that have been fully fansubbed, so this is a built in audience that they're reaching.
  • ...And because of that, no one actually watches anime on Anime Sols. Most of the box sets were sold to 250 people, and each episode only gets double digit viewing figures.
  • They're basically selling anime to people who are already fans and just want to own the show and the related point is that anime fans are more interested in watching new anime than they are in watching old anime.
Thus, the Firehawk Effect in action. lol
He basically described me to a tee anyway, since I only followed the site for Oniisama e and didn't take the time to watch any of the other anime they had put up on their site.

Other random notes.
  • Each box set sold a minimum of 250, which allows them to produce a thousand copies and make a profit.
  • They have about 600 unsold DVDs, after sending off copies to backers and retailers.
  • Japanese companies are more interested in destroying unsold DVDs than selling them at a discount.
  • The LLC will either dissolve in three years or be renewed. If it is dissolved, all the copies will probably be destroyed.
  • The company needed to fund 1 box set a month to be profitable/sustainable. They only managed to do 9 in a 12 month period, so pretty sketchy ground.

This leads to their new plan:
  • Rather than go through with DVD crowdfunding, they are just doing streaming crowdfunding.
  • They are selecting 9 shows from the companies involved in the LLC and subbing three episodes each.
  • People can then fund each show if they want to see the show completely subbed.
  • The companies may not care if they lose money on this because they want to have English subs of catalog shows in their back catalog on the off chance they want to show them to other sellers.
  • Tezuka's Dororo is one of these planned projects.

So that seems to be the future of resurrecting old anime at this point. People want to buy old fansubbed anime, but not old unknown anime. Since I am assuming that they are out of fansubbed shows that they can offer, they are now just trying to cast a wider net and set a smaller goal with streaming crowdfunding instead of dvd crowdfunding.

Some final random notes:
  • They looked into Bluray remasters, but there's no real plans but they said that it would cost 2.5 times the current goals that they've set for DVDs, which of course is untenable.
  • Future Boy Conan was immediately shut down as a possible project for them.
  • Japan had budgeted a library archive for anime that academics could have accessed at a library, but this as killed when the new government took over.

There's some really good info on this podcast if you care about the behind the scenes aspect of the industry (also very little Zac and Justin).

Edit BONUS CONTENT:
  • They are embedding Crunchyroll's Kindaichi Files Returns stream and are putting up a crowdfunding effort to get a box set released.
  • If this does well, they may go into the Kindaichi archive.

Finally:
  • I have no idea why I used bullet lists in this post.

Jex

Most of those people who do that probably never come in here and thus will remain ignorant of any changes we make in this thread.

Not that I disagree with Duckroll's line by any measure. But that specific goal, at least, is futile.

This is how people see anime anyway:

aifjlol.gif

You can't win. lol
It's like trying to convince your grandfather that games are a legitimate medium for artistic expression!
You say this, but cnet's post had already made it to OT. This is a way to stop that kind of thing for happening again, at the very least.

Also, there's hundreds of people who watch some anime who don't post in this thread so this also indirectly benefits them if they want to stop by.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You say this, but cnet's post had already made it to OT. This is a way to stop that kind of thing for happening again, at the very least.

Also, there's hundreds of people who watch some anime who don't post in this thread so this also indirectly benefits them if they want to stop by.
I'm just talking about the "anime avatar = ignore" people that you see all the time. It's just a reality that "Japtoons" are always going to be the creepy tentacle robot rape shows to some people and nothing will change that.

Clov

I remember reading somewhere that Anime Sols was interested in funding Blu-Rays for the Black Jack OVAs. Not sure if it's true, but that's pretty neat if it is. I don't expect a company as small as them to do Blu-Rays, but I'd be interested if they tried. I'm just glad they're hanging in there.

Jex

[*]Japanese companies are more interested in destroying unsold DVDs than selling them at a discount.

[*]Japan had budgeted a library archive for anime that academics could have accessed at a library, but this as killed when the new government took over.

Japan, why you so stupid?

Also, it was crazy for them to try and sell DVD's for old anime to people. I'm not surprised it hasn't really worked out.

Chariot

I'm just talking about the "anime avatar = ignore" people that you see all the time. It's just a reality that "Japtoons" are always going to be the creepy tentacle robot rape shows to some people and nothing will change that.
Yeah, but those people aren't important in that regard, aye? There are lot of people who are on a neutral position towards anime, or don't like them but are not hostile by default. Confirmation of clichees can't hurt our reputation and the stand of these people and push them in the direction of the people who hate anime no matter what.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember reading somewhere that Anime Sols was interested in funding Blu-Rays for the Black Jack OVAs. Not sure if it's true, but that's pretty neat if it is. I don't expect a company as small as them to do Blu-Rays, but I'd be interested if they tried. I'm just glad they're hanging in there.
Given that they've barely met their goals each time, it would take the right project. They did bring it up on the podcast though, and that it is something they are thinking about since the Bluray remasters already exist.

Japan, why you so stupid?
Cutting off your nose to spite your face. I guess they don't want to see the "shame" of bargain bin anime or something.

Syrinx

This isn't about those people. It's about the people currently posting in here, or who could potentially post in here, that were uncomfortable with a lot of the stuff that duckroll pointed out that was going on. Of course we shouldn't be concerned what people who hate anime and anime fans think about this thread because they aren't going to be contributing here or any anime thread other than "anime sux" threads and the like.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, but those people aren't important in that regard, aye? There are lot of people who are on a neutral position towards anime, or don't like them but are not hostile by default. Confirmation of clichees can't hurt our reputation and the stand of these people and push them in the direction of the people who hate anime no matter what.

This isn't about those people. It's about the people currently posting in here, or who could potentially post in here, that were uncomfortable with a lot of the stuff that duckroll pointed out that was going on. Of course we shouldn't be concerned what people who hate anime and anime fans think about this thread because they aren't going to be contributing here or any anime thread other than "anime sux" threads and the like.

I'm just not sure anything will necessarily change with the new rules. I guess we'll see if the people who left the thread come back and if any lurkers decide to join in.

Articalys

I am going to predict that even after watching the final Mekakucity Actors episode, I'll still only understand about 70% of what happened. Maybe less!

Syrinx

I'm just not sure anything will necessarily change with the new rules. I guess we'll see if the people who left the thread come back and if any lurkers decide to join in.

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that. However, in the meantime, if the new rules mean less cnet-like shit and discussions about who has the best ass in [insert series here], then it's already a change for the better, even if it's just between the active members here.

Jex

Still waiting for Lafiel's impressions of Yamato 2199.

Still waiting for firehawk12's Utena impressions.

Still waiting for myself to write Doremi impressions!

NeonZ

Ok Aldnoah Zero. Looks like you have my interest once again. Mainly because I had forgotten Urobuchi was writing you. And unlike others here I still hold that name in high regard. Also I have no hope for that blonde guy and girl of being in a relationship, since they'll probably die or betray each other or something really dark.

Urobuchi isn't even Aldnoah Zero's actual main writer though, his credits are just as "original creator", even though this is an original anime. This really seems more like a marketing stunt than anything else at this point.

Chariot

I think the main problem was not how it was, but where it went. So at least duckroll most likely prevented a spiral down. But yeah, we have to see how effective and useful the rules turn out.

Unfortunately Ive had it stalled for a year now, just lacks the fun and surprise of Sket Dance. Maybe Ill get back to it at an episode a day or something.

Surprised Beelzebub anime is up there, didnt it have issues with diversions from the source material/

Well for Beelzebub it did divert at the end, not following the manga. Definitely I was disappointed but everything else I loved. The way the characters were animated, voice actors, and the superb comedy that entertained me. It also doesn't hurt the fact that the manga is one of my favorites, damn you shonen jump for cutting Beezlebub.

Oh yeah you should definitely get back to Gintama because once your hooked there's no going back.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When are we getting our firehawkstarter rewards anyway?

Need ETA, budget plan, constant email updates, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom