• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second season confirmed?

Chaikan agree with that!

xyi0eWf.jpg

good night folks

TBeB4Hx.jpg

CorvoSol

Clannad and After Story final impressions

It is with the utmost of restraint I begin this writing, and not without the least bit of agitation I confess that I have undertaken this task. The shortest version of what I am about to write here is that Clannad is a horrible show, but rather than just say that, I had hoped to spend a moment to demonstrate and truly articulate to the community why this show is one of the worst anime I have ever seen. I realize these words are already rather bold, but I aim not to hyperbolize nor exaggerate in my explanation of all I feel is wrong with this series as I go forward. It is my firm belief that these points are inarguable, however, and as such I will advance them and let them speak for me hence.

Let us begin with the first and most obviously bad part of the show, specifically the character designs themselves. I do not argue for the sake of photo-realistic character design in anime (and I dare say we all know one or two stills from rotoscopped shows like The Flowers of Evil which we might say were jarring at the very least) and I do in fact favor more stylized looks, but not all styles are created equal, and Clannad’s is one I dare to call malformed. Eyes consume no less than fifty percent of the skulls of every character, with mouths and nasal passages being no more than a dot and an afterthought. Limbs are perhaps best described as vestigial, and it falls to the age old lot of eye color and hair styles to distinguish characters. There is more to the visuals than this offense I will speak on later, but I cannot stress how false the statement “Clannad is not a show you can judge by how it looks!” is. These are the character designs of every bad hentai dating VN rolled into one.

But let’s table that for a minute for something I feel is much, much more important: Namely, that the entire show is perhaps the most ingenuine, insincere, cloyingly desperate production I have ever watched. Clannad wants very badly to be funny and at the same time emotionally inspiring, but rather than make honest efforts toward this point, the entire product is built up for the sole sake of wringing these from you without earning them. The show has all the humor of a child’s slap-stick (if not less) and the inspirational prowess of a Hallmark channel original movie, but I do not feel that it is just the subtle ploys utilized to garner affection that cheapen the experience. Ultimately there is nothing wrong with using your full arsenal to reach the viewer’s emotions. Indeed, one could well argue that that’s what it is all about, and when done properly and with writing that truthfully makes the effort to earn the audience’s heart, it can make for some wonderful experiences in entertainment. Where Clannad pushes beyond even this in its sins, however, is that the word subtle simply does not exist in the writers’ lexicon. Everything is laid on entirely too thick. All humor must be loud, explosive, and exaggerated. All emotional moments are filled with intense sobbing, and rather than let you think about why something is really warming your heart, the show must show it to you in explicit detail. Set ups which are perfectly acceptable are ruined entirely by the staff’s need to add too much to them just to hammer across points which are plain and simple enough that the viewer does not need so much thrown in their face.

The perfect example of what I am discussing is Clannad’s second (third?) arc, focused on Kotomi Ichinose, or as I came to know her, “Purple Dumb” based upon her hair color and personality type, which is all characters in Clannad really are: hair color and personality archetypes. In any case, the general lay of the Kotomi arc is that resident Idiot-Savant Kotomi’s folks shuffled prematurely off this mortal coil, and she is suffering from some recently trudged up memories of the event. These memories are triggered by witnessing a bus crash, even though her parents died in a plane crash which she herself did not witness. All the same, Kotomi is reduced to screaming incoherently and holding her head in agony. She then skips out on school, which doesn’t matter since she doesn’t attend classes anyway, but is treated as a big deal, even though the arc makes no huge deal out of Okazaki skipping. None of this is important other than that attendance is treated as a matter of life and death at one point in After Story, but I digress. Because this is a dating sim, Okazaki takes it upon himself to help Kotomi any way he can through her emotional troubles by cleaning her yard. Which I grant is not really an offensively illogical method and is fairly in keeping with his role as the protagonist who will fix all these broken girls. The arc disables itself, though, by having Okazaki and Kotomi know one another from childhood. What purpose does this serve? Would he not have aided her if they hadn’t? Why does she withhold this information when they meet? It is a useless twist that only serves to further complicate the arc. Afterward we find out that not only did Okazaki know Kotomi before hand, it was shortly before her birthday, which was the exact day her parents died, and also he failed to bring anyone to her birthday party, and also her birthday is coming up again! A series of contrivances piling one upon another which just detract from the previously built up image of Okazaki as a genuinely nice guy willing to help other people for the sake of “intensifying the stakes.” It is telling that none of this serves any real purpose beyond getting you to think that it does when you realize that for all that Okazaki has done for Kotomi, and for all that they allegedly are to one another, neither of them will ever really interact again. Ask yourself: when is the next time Okazaki and Kotomi are alone together, ever talking about anything? The answer? As far as I got, never. Kotomi is shunted almost immediately into the pile of backup girlfriends as soon as the arc concludes, and does not so much as correspond with Okazaki after graduation.

This isn’t all that the arc does, though. It is most obvious and blatant infraction is when Kotomi receives the bear her folks had promised her before they died. This would be perfectly fine on its own until someone says “that bear must have traveled the world to reach you!” After this announcement, the audience is then left to watch as the bear literally travels the entire world to reach them. This is exactly the kind of beating the viewer over the head with obvious stuff that I found the show to be thoroughly rife with. It is not, however, the only part of the arc that demonstrates the show’s commitment to cheating emotional response from the viewers.

Color Psychology is the study, in part, of how color effects one’s mood and behavior. It holds that color can carry a specific meaning, and it holds that the range of red to yellow is for negative issues, as well as romantic, excited and comforting ones. It is no surprise, then, that so much of this arc makes frequent use of orange, yellow, red and purple. Or rather, it’s not really puzzling to figure out why so many moments in this arc, and throughout Clannad in general, take place at sunset. Sunsets set the mood, and the dazzling array of colors distracts the mind in such a way that it may perceive issues as more dramatic, important, or meaningful than they would be, quite literally, in another light. The frequent use of certain songs in the show are meant to tell the audience the exact way they ought to be feeling by using the low, wordless singing of female voices in tandem with this. As a third and important part, female voices are constantly quavering upon the edge of tears in this show. It’s difficult to name an episode of Clannad in which at least one girl, usually Nagisa, did not sound like she was on the edge of tears. All of this is meant to lure the audience into the appropriate emotional state where, rather than see the comically exaggerated melodrama for what it is, they find themselves wiping a tear from their eye, licking its salty goodness from their finger and excitedly whispering in the shadows: “the feels!”

All of this goes into demonstrating how the visuals, sound, writing and voice directing are meant to persuade one into feeling things which the writing does not frankly merit, but I do not think this is the only sin which the show is guilty of, and it is not the sole one I wish to address here now.

Clannad, for all that it tries desperately to wring even a tiny positive emotional response from the viewer, is in fact capable of doing so exactly one time in the show. The Fuko arc is in many ways terrible, not the least of which being the author confusing “mind of a half-mad two year old” for “funny high school girl” as personalities, but it does in fact succeed in earning those much coveted “feels” in the end. It focuses upon the dying Fuko, a young girl who (aside from being a spirit) wishes only for her sister’s wedding to go happily for fear her medical condition is holding her back. So Nagisa and Okazaki help the girl out, but there’s a catch: everyone is slowly forgetting her existence. Although the arc is full of what I would later discover were typical Clannad contrivances, I do confess that the concept of everyone who knew you forgetting you is a good one, and that the show’s decision to have her meet her end in peace and have everyone accept her departure peacefully was the one good moment in the entire production.

Fuko’s emotional death is immediately thrown out in the next arc for a one minute magical girl crane game gag.

Aside from sending the clear message that there is no reason to trust the show, consider with me if other works took famous character deaths and worked them that way! Imagine if in Book Seven Dumbledore came back to help Harry win a game of Solitaire! Or if Obi Wan Kenobi popped up to help Luke beat Han at arm wrestling! Or if Jean Grey had gotten back up to teach Scott how to duggy. It’s “funny” but it sort of cheapens the character’s death. I mean, more so than even just coming back from the dead does. It wastes all efforts spent building to the previous arc’s finale, and for what? A throw-away gag of no importance.

There’s a serious lack of coherence throughout the series, to boot. Stories all feel exactly like the separate routes they are haphazardly slapped one onto another. In the much lauded “Clannad After Story” which is supposedly “better” than Clannad, multiple episodes are spent upon a flashback for a side character and the romance between her and her cat. Okazaki and the gang guest star in a gang war that has nothing to do with them and Okazaki gets to prove he’s totally strong in addition to being cool as he meddles in business which ought by rights to end with a knife between his ribs. Indeed, for most of the first half of After Story the allegedly main characters play no real role, save it be in the arc about Sunohara, which reaches an enormously melodramatic climax despite being fueled by the writers’ trademark stupid lies. For some reason viewers are meant to dislike Sunohara while he mistreats his little sister, but laugh when she mistreats him. Compounded into this is the incomprehensible, recurring, and unrelated story of a little cgi girl and her cgi robot wandering a wasteland where light falls upward in search of "friends." Presumably this pays off in some way at the end of After Story, but for 30 long episodes its only bearing upon the plot was an allusion to it in Nagisa's incredibly melodramatic interpretative dance PTSD very special episode. You begin to see the point, I hope.

Perhaps the most annoying aspect of the entire show is the relationship between Okazaki and Nagisa, which I believe is meant to be romantic and endearing, but lacks any real chemistry. This is because in Clannad, everything goes entirely by the books, and unlike Hyouka, where it is about proving that old things can be done in an extremely well thought out way, it’s just about checking off boxes on a list. Characters in Clannad, as I suppose you tire of hearing at this point, are base archetypes and nothing more. Okazaki is the cool, disaffected teenage guy who has “a troubled past” that in no significant way affects him. Sunohara is his requisite loser friend that he treats like shit and keeps around to make himself look good. Nagisa is the demure pure girlfriend who probably weeps profusely during sex. There’s the noisy class rep, the “smart girl who is dumb/dumb girl but she’s actually smart!” and of course the “cool girl the fans should really be rooting for!” If you’re an absolute pervert, there’s also Sunohara’s little sister. Since Okazaki is a creep who gets off on that, enjoy it in After Story! Weren’t those twenty five episodes “worth it”?

Taking a page from Clannad’s writing, let me beat you over the head with that point: After Story isn’t worth it. Unless you want to spend two episodes learning about why a lonely bachelorette makes love to a cat. Unless you like seeing every boring, droll, unfunny piece of newly conceived trauma meant to wrench your precious “feels” from your bosom, avoid it as you would a leper, a thing unclean, a plague or an anime thread in the OT.

As I grow weary of this telling, allow me to close with a brief summary: Clannad is an insincere, manipulative, hideous to behold work with characters so tiresomely bland that you’re apt to find more compelling adventures scrawled upon a bathroom stall, a love story so pathetically devoid of love that you’re like to be more moved by the romance in Gundam SEED Destiny or even AGE, and with enough clichés and recycled conventions to make even Rah Xephon look thoroughly original. Shun it, and shun all things which KEY has ever produced, for here there is neither style nor substance.

I don't know if the world building is actually interesting, or if it's just a matter of seeing if the author can explain the insanity of the setting. Like with Attack on Titan and the stupidity involving the walls.
Certainly it doesn't evoke the same feelings of wonderment and excitement as Aria or even the early episodes of Gargantia anyway.

That said, I'm sort of glad that they are mostly show-don't tell with a lot of their stuff. Instead of blahblahblahing about the lack of inertial dampeners, they can just show people going splat when the ship decelerates quickly and you get the same idea.

Of course, why would you build a ship like that is a whole other question entirely that isn't really addressed. lol
Does world building require that you go any further than the initial, basic details of the setting? Sidonia hasn't done much more than saying "here, these are the things that exist," at least so far. I'm not very miffed about that, honestly; a lot's meant to be mysterious at this point, or just doesn't need any real explanation. It's more that nothing's allowed to breathe. I'm saying this without having seen the manga, but it's as if the creator made a solid foundation with great visual concepts, then strove to build the most passionless, cliche ridden thing possible on top of it. The similarities to Attack on Titan haven't gone unnoticed by me, but at the end of their respective first seasons, AoT actually seems smarter. It's a real shame; I think it has more potential than that, not to say that AoT is lacking in flaws.

I have an interest in genre fiction of this particular type, but going into the reasons I find it compelling would take even longer than this post has already, and I don't even know what I was trying to express with it to begin with! So... yeah, I think we're basically in the same boat, being generally frustrated. It sucks seeing the life being choked out of something you believe has potential, but those glimpses of brilliance, even if those are restricted to vague tonal things rather than the big pieces like plot and characters, have kept me coming back up to this point. I don't think they'll be enough from here on, unfortunately.
The key here, is context. The context is the very close relationship these three characters have had and it's also the decades that have passed since the original incident. The key line is probably when Obaba says "Liar! That's very you, though". It's pretty clear that Kazama's response to Koizumi is pretty typical of how Kazama is as a person and that's always been a part of his personality, but they were still friends with him before, which is why Koizumi laughs it off. Kazama doesn't do what he does maliciously, it's just part of who he is. Decades may have passed but these people are still the same and this particular situation has brought them together in a manner that allows them to remember the old days. That's all.

Thanks for the explanation. While I don't doubt that you're reading of the scene is correct, I'm not really satisfied with the way they executed it. The three never had very much screen time all together, so I would have appreciated something a bit clearer for their resolution. The ambiguity of Koizumi's words at the end is something that could potentially have worked in a different context, but I think it wasn't quite appropriate here.

Jex

Why hasn't anybody released the latest Gintama Movie or Hunter X Hunter DVD sets because I'd believe they would sell. Unless there's some licensing issue with the said series. Though the Benzisakura movie for Gintama was released in the states can't the other movie be released.

Yeah I'm just gonna end up buying all the DVD collection for Gintama so far even if it was cut short, in hope that it'll continue one day. Also gonna buy the Benzisakura Movie.

Well, companies either don't release movies because they can't acquire the rights or they believe they won't sell. After watching countless companies go out of business I imagine thy have a pretty good idea of how to play it.

Jex

Excel Saga 09-12

Bowling Robocop, a ridiculous baseball story and a detective yarn that ends as silly as it started. The Menchi episode was a surprisingly emotional story in the middle of all the wackiness. The dogs were by far the most human of the characters, but that contrast was no doubt deliberate. It's not just anime references that I needed in order to understand this, but also Japanese culture. And there's no notes when it comes to online streaming. Things like the dog and monkey baseball teams and all of the terrible language puns are amusing to me. I often believe you've understood enough of a language once you can understand - and also make - its terrible puns. I'm half approaching it from a historical perspective, but a lot of the jokes from '99 hold up today, since they're referencing some pretty famous anime. Lots of good gags in the bowling episode, too. "That was six seconds."

Seeing how many references you actually get in Excel Saga is something of a barometer for how much anime/manga you've consumed. If you understand over 90% of the references you know you're in too deep.

fertygo

That RahXephon namedrop was unnecessary :(

I still glad you not becoming KEY's supporter tho, I have my worry.. its kinda ticking to what you liking, so its can goes either way lulz

Eusis

Yeah, Modbot's not responding, may as well give the code out the old fashioned way: quote to see the Crunchy pass!

EDIT: Lives, cut code out.

Narag

Skimming that, I wonder what you'd think of the movie. It's a different beast apparently and I usually see complaints about it "cutting out part of the story" yet anytime I look a bit further into the show, I can't help but think that's a good thing.

jman2050

Corvo's series posts are so magical it just plain doesn't matter if I disagree with them or not.

Though if you didn't like that KEY work then you need to just stop right there because it does not get better. By any stretch.

CorvoSol

Corvo's series posts are so magical it just plain doesn't matter if I disagree with them or not.

Though if you didn't like that KEY work then you need to just stop right there because it does not get better. By any stretch.

I'm not watching anything made by KEY ever again.

Not even if Cajun begged me to.

jman2050

Know what, screw it, go watch Toradora Corvo, I'm curious to see whether you like it or not and how hard a punch you're willing to throw if you don't. I'll watch any one show of your choosing 26 episodes or under in response. (I reserve the right to reject something if I really really really don't want to watch it, but hopefully that won't happen)

Rhapsody

Banned
Know what, screw it, go watch Toradora Corvo, I'm curious to see whether you like it or not and how hard a punch you're willing to throw if you don't. I'll watch any one show of your choosing 26 episodes or under in response. (I reserve the right to reject something if I really really really don't want to watch it, but hopefully that won't happen)

I honestly don't think he's going to like Toradora either if he tore apart Clannad like that.

CorvoSol

I am currently not accepting watchbets at this time, I'm afraid.

Jex

I kind of disagree. If you go straight from Zeta to CCA it makes no sense, given the ending of Zeta. I mean, at the end of Zeta,
Haman Khan is in power, Char is MIA, and Kamille's lost it.
Without ZZ to explain
how Haman is defeated, that Char is alive and planning *something* and how Kamille is healed, you're effectively skipping a vital part of the story. It bleeds into Unicorn, too, with Marida Cruz.

I kinda hate this "it is okay to skip ZZ" mentality because it acts like people think ZZ is unimportant and bad. I'm cool with people not liking it, or just not as much as Zeta, but it's still a full 50 episodes of the story you're skipping out on.
Well, they can just go and read a Wikipedia Synopsis and learn all that so, in that sense, it really is skippable.

*sees Corvo's Clannad post*

I fear for what happens in this thread when Pshyconinja reads that. I mean wow.

That was total and utter disdain right there. O_O.

CorvoSol

For those of you concerned for my well being, I'm now only watching ZZ Gundam, VOTOMS Phantom Arc and Macross F.

I confess that I am damaged goods, and am enjoying all three shows even though the first is LOL TOMINO, and the second and third are CGI robots.

But, much like Basara before me, I'm now on a quest of healing and self discovery (and also maybe intimate relations with space vampires!)

like so:

1JRMGhF.gif

If any of you like the Paper Mario games, and also happen to like South Park, then go fucking buy South Park: Stick of Truth right now. Fucking fantastic game. Just beat it.

10/10

I came back to find this post because I just beat Watch Dogs and I really disliked it. That's obviously your fault.

Well, they can just go and read a Wikipedia Synopsis and learn all that so, in that sense, it really is skippable.

That's never a good alternative!

CorvoSol

Well sure, but, and I hate to use this cliche, but you could do that to the whole series, too. Spare yourself from all of Tomino's Tominoisms.

Shergal

It's not like anything Corvo said about Clannad is untrue, it just comes down to how much it bothers the viewer. Personally I mostly agree with his impressions.

Jex

Mazinkaiser SKL
I honestly did not enjoy this outing. Though a mere three episodes, I found it fairly grating. SKL should be commended before I speak further ill, however. The animation was top notch, and the addition of gun-kata to the Kaiser’s arsenal made for some truly impressive feats during the series short run. The alternate universe imagining was also done well enough, with no shortage of little visual gags for fans of the franchise to sink their teeth into. Conceptually, one also has to applaud the decision to show the “I choose to be a devil” side of the whole Mazinger “you can be a god or a devil” set-up. However, I could not find myself a fan of the series’ cast. The women, though numerous, seemed to serve far less of a purpose than those seen in other Mazinger titles, and the male characters all felt entirely derived from a 14 year old’s view of what would be edgy and cool. The heroes are flat psycopaths who, rather than resembling their august predecessors, seem closer to the much maligned yaoi fangirl bait protagonists of other franchise I will not here mention. The villains were honestly no better, being the exact “this guy is a loser” and “this guy is really arrogant” archetypes that the Mazinkaiser SKL protagonists would lead me to expect. Too much time is spent talking about how much they like killing and dropping f-bombs and not enough time wrecking enemy mecha and shouting at the top of their lungs.
Yeah it's pretty weak, all things considered. Almost the very definition of 'trying to hard', SKL thinks it's really fucking bad ass but in reality it's just really average.
Shin Getter Robo
An absolute masterpiece; if SKL represents all that can go wrong when trying to turn a long running mecha anime series into something “dark and gritty” then Shin Getter is all that can go right. For me, personally, it wasn’t even the “oh no the end of the world!” set up that did it. Rather, it was seeing the cast in a decidedly crueler light than Getter Robo and G had shown them in. Although the Getter team had always been rough and violent, there’s an added element when one sees Ryoma actively trying to kill Doctor Saotome, who in turn admits to wanting him dead, and the dirty secrets surrounding the already rather serious departure of Michiru Saotome from the series. As Hot Blooded as any Super Robot show can be, the series also boasts tremendously well done animation, bolstered by its striking visual style, perfectly chosen soundtrack and voice direction which is just far enough over the top to really work. Whether you are a fan of the Getter Robo series and have enough know-how to get the numerous references peppering the work, or only a newcomer to the realm of Super Robots, Shin Getter Robo is an excellent series for one and all!
Getter Robo Armageddon when?

jman2050

Looking more closely at Corvo's Clannad impressions, I am even more highly convinced that Clannad works a hell of a lot better as a VN.

I'm actually curious how I would have felt about it had I seen the adaptation first.

Will never defend those character designs though, anime or otherwise. I can't even lay blame on KyoAni here, they had nothing to work with. It's the functional equivalent of trying to cook a plate of spaghetti with no pasta.

CorvoSol

Corvo, your write up was excellent in pointing out everything wrong with Clannad but did you find any of it enjoyable?

Not, really? I mean, I guess Roachdad was okay, and Gray Pres was somewhat less than awful, but on the whole I did not enjoy the show. I found the concept surrounding the Fuko thing okay, but the execution lacked and then the author did that and it burned me pretty hard.

For posterity's sake, I would like the record to simply state "no" on this matter.

Yeah it's pretty weak, all things considered. Almost the very definition of 'trying to hard', SKL thinks it's really fucking bad ass but in reality it's just really average.

Getter Robo Armageddon when?

Wait, isn't Shin Getter Robo Getter Robo Armageddon? Maybe I put the wrong title up, but the one I watched was the one where
Doc goes nuts and Kei is Genki etc.

Narag

Wait, isn't Shin Getter Robo Getter Robo Armageddon? Maybe I put the wrong title up, but the one I watched was the one where

Nah, Armageddon's jp title was Shin Getter Robo too iirc or something close. There's the other one that's called New Getter Robo in English which was the one I told you was closer to the manga.

CorvoSol

Nah, Armageddon's jp title was Shin Getter Robo too iirc or something close. There's the other one that's called New Getter Robo in English which was the one I told you was closer to the manga.

Oh, well I still have yet to see New Getter Robo. I think I will put it on hold, along with the likes of Grendizer for awhile. I tried Grendizer out, but I found it a bit weird, and the young woman, her little brother and their eccentric father looked way too much like Michiru, Genki and Joho from Getter Robo to me.

Narag

Oh, well I still have yet to see New Getter Robo. I think I will put it on hold, along with the likes of Grendizer for awhile. I tried Grendizer out, but I found it a bit weird, and the young woman, her little brother and their eccentric father looked way too much like Michiru, Genki and Joho from Getter Robo to me.

Then at least watch Shin Getter vs Neo Getter for that sweet Texas Mack action!!

Jex

The titles here get a little confusing:

Change!! Shin Getter Robo - Sekai Saishū no Hi = Getter Robo Armageddon

Shin Getter Robo = New Getter Robo

Lets not forget, of course, that Shin can be though of as "New" and "True" and that there's a Getter Robo, a New (Shin) Getter Robo and a Neo Getter Robo (for Shin (New) Getter vs Neo Getter).

The New Getter Robo OVA is, arguably, even better than Getter Robo Armageddon, at the very least it's more consistent. Armageddon really suffers badly from that change in director at the start.

CorvoSol

Then at least watch Shin Getter vs Neo Getter for that sweet Texas Mack action!!

Oh man, I can't disappoint America, but I think I'm still going to pass for awhile. Three shows is all I want at the moment, even with Layzner and Patlabor begging me to add them.

Did you even finish after story corvo
that's when the FEELS © hit

I made it 11 episodes through After Story, which is more than one can ask of a man after the two episode flashback arc about why a woman is having sexual relations with her not-at-all-anthropomorphic-actually-just-a-literally-a-cat.

The titles here get a little confusing:

Change!! Shin Getter Robo - Sekai Saishū no Hi = Getter Robo Armageddon

Shin Getter Robo = New Getter Robo

Lets not forget, of course, that Shin can be though of as "New" and "True" and that there's a Getter Robo, a New (Shin) Getter Robo and a Neo Getter Robo (for Shin (New) Getter vs Neo Getter).

The New Getter Robo OVA is, arguably, even better than Getter Robo Armageddon, at the very least it's more consistent. Armageddon really suffers badly from that change in director at the start.

I actually didn't feel the change of directors was too jarring. There are some story inconsistencies, but I think the momentum was maintained, which is what I feel mattered most. The moment Stoner Sunshine happens is one of my new favorite SR finishers now.

I made it 11 episodes through After Story, which is more than one can ask of a man after the two episode flashback arc about why a woman is having sexual relations with her not-at-all-anthropomorphic-actually-just-a-literally-a-cat.

Ah that explains why your entire write up was filled with disdain. The only part I liked about Clannad is a bit further in. I don't blame you for dropping it though, the first part of AS was very eh.

CorvoSol

Ah that explains why your entire write up was filled with disdain. The only part I liked about Clannad is a bit further in. I don't blame you for dropping it though, the first part of AS was very eh.

See, this is a phrase I heard repeatedly during my watching of the show, but I just don't know that I can really agree with it, informed as I since have been as to how it all comes crashing down. I really think that if, in 35ish episodes I didn't like Clannad and After Story, there wasn't going to be a saving grace in the last quarter to dramatically change my opinion. It's possible. I've changed the way I've seen shows before, but then again I do not think I have ever had as many problems with a series as I have had with Clannad.

jman2050

See, this is a phrase I heard repeatedly during my watching of the show, but I just don't know that I can really agree with it, informed as I since have been as to how it all comes crashing down. I really think that if, in 35ish episodes I didn't like Clannad and After Story, there wasn't going to be a saving grace in the last quarter to dramatically change my opinion. It's possible. I've changed the way I've seen shows before, but then again I do not think I have ever had as many problems with a series as I have had with Clannad.

See now I'm not sure what to say because far be it from me to try and urge you to continue something that you clearly are not enjoying, but at the same time that's kind of a terrible stopping point for a whole host of reasons.

Also now I feel cheated because I don't get to see your reaction to the ending!

fertygo

Eh Corvo dropping AS?
Its bit of shame he not gonna writing about that dragonball stuff then.

Although that post convince me to never watch the anime, because despite I'm so wary watching it because I hate Maeda Jun and already know basically the ending, there's many people that said I better give it a chance because Kyoani did great job and they also hate the other KEY's stuff but think Clannad is decent. But Corvo convince me entirely to never do it now lol.
See now I'm not sure what to say because far be it from me to try and urge you to continue something that you clearly are not enjoying, but at the same time that's kind of a terrible stopping point for a whole host of reasons.

Yeah I felt cheated now knowing he never watch the final stretch lol.

CorvoSol

Having been told how it ends, I feel like everything up until Za Twist is painfully obvious, and Za Twist would've just earned more screaming and shouting fucks from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom