• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage 3

i7dIgQeXZIkGQ.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Koto- Kyousogiga
Kiyoko - Yondemasu Azazel san

It's simple, we kill the batman.gif

On a serious note, SAO2 got Miyukichi, it couldn't be that bad.... right?

Theres been some terrible stuff lately that even Miyukichi couldnt quite save. ITs not a guarantee.

The world is still beautifull - 12

I'm 100% , no 200% , no 700% happy by this ending.

The world is still beautifull , It wasn't on my radar... BUt GODDAMIT in enjoyed it all the way

The entire CAST of characters is perfect.
And that turn of event when they got back was excellent.

I have high praise of this now , i'd even take a movie or a second season.

A perfect exemple of an entertaining anime that focus on characters

I need to get back to that show. I really liked Nike but the king was pissing me off so much.

Guess I'll add some of ya on steam too.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/slicesabre

Heartcatch Precure 10

Welp still surprised I'm enjoying this show.

Added you

Aria: The Animation 2

I liked that bit of backstory with child Aika meeting Alicia for the first time. And the interaction between Akira and Alicia was pretty funny. Visuals in this show are pretty great; this episode's highlight being the town reflected in the water as the tide rose above the streets. Always liked that kinda thing.

in Italy thats actually known as Acqua Alta.

One Week Friends should've been about Saki and Shogo. Just like Inari Konkon should've been about Uka and her lover boy. It isn't the first time this has happened.

I think it is not very often when a book/media author realizes that a side character is more popular than their leads and gives them their own thing. I think Orson Scott Card is one of the few I know that realized Bean was more well liked than Ender, and gave him his own series.

The most prominent example of this I can think of is Nurse witch Komugi. A lot of people dont even realize that Komugi was actually a side character in Soul Taker or even what that show is. but her popularity spawned that OVA series which was much more of a success than Soul Taker ever was.

With the gaming stuff, I'm Tenumi on Steam, NNID, PSN, and Xbox Live. Lucky me.

Also, I finished Futari wa Pretty Cure today. Gonna do my final series writeup tommorow.

Added you too

I'm not watching anything made by KEY ever again.

Not even if Cajun begged me to.

I wouldnt burden you Raven. however I have some other shows to suggest when youre up for it.

For those of you concerned for my well being, I'm now only watching ZZ Gundam, VOTOMS Phantom Arc and Macross F.

I confess that I am damaged goods, and am enjoying all three shows even though the first is LOL TOMINO, and the second and third are CGI robots.

But, much like Basara before me, I'm now on a quest of healing and self discovery (and also maybe intimate relations with space vampires!)

like so:

1JRMGhF.gif

I eat leaves too, Raven.

CorvoSol

VOTOMS: Phantom Chapter 3

I'm not the hugest fan of the CGI in this show, but I do like that they've managed to provide sufficient time to Coconna and Vanilla's rekindling of their romance rather than this being solely about "Where's Chirico?" These post VOTOMS main show OVAs continue to make choices I find both heart rending and questionable, though.

Mahouka 13

Every time I watch this show, I feel like I missed out on a ton of world building somewhere. These characters speak with such purpose about concepts, events and/or people that have barely been fleshed out if they've been introduced at all. It's like the audience is expected to get more information from a character's tone than the information itself, since there's no way we can be expected to know what the fuck any of these people are talking about.

Maybe stuff has gotten glossed over from the transition to anime, but as it stands, the means of battle and even the setting itself are so poorly realized that I've given up trying to follow things. Plot holes and nitpicks aside, at least SAO was easy to follow, whereas this is a jumble of information that seems to be almost purposely left vague. The only terms that have actually stuck with me are Blooms and Weeds, and that's only because I like conflicts/prejudice based on class structures in stories.

If the action doesn't start picking up soon, I think I'm just going to drop this. These magical sporting events aren't doing it for me.

Are there any more anime like Emma: A Victorian Romance / Front Innocent / Ikoku Meiro no Kurowāze?

The period and setting for those are awesome.

docbon

Mahouka 13

Every time I watch this show, I feel like I missed out on a ton of world building somewhere. These characters speak with such purpose about concepts, events and/or people that have barely been fleshed out if they've been introduced at all. It's like the audience is expected to get more information from a character's tone than the information itself, since there's no way we can be expected to know what the fuck any of these people are talking about.

Maybe stuff has gotten glossed over from the transition to anime, but as it stands, the means of battle and even the setting itself are so poorly realized that I've given up trying to follow things. Plot holes and nitpicks aside, at least SAO was easy to follow, whereas this is a jumble of information that seems to be almost purposely left vague. The only terms that have actually stuck with me are Blooms and Weeds, and that's only because I like conflicts/prejudice based on class structures in stories.

If the action doesn't start picking up soon, I think I'm just going to drop this. These magical sporting events aren't doing it for me.

won't you recalibrate my cad onii-sama~

but seriously, drop it like it's hot.

the show consists of dumb philosophies, a one dimensional incestual imouto, and loads of mathemagical x general physics jibber jabber.

Akagi 08

DjRiQYe.jpg

Did they really have to name a character Ishikawa right after Akagi got done with a match with a guy named Ichikawa? I thought Ichikawa stopped being blind and was really confused.

Akagi seems way more chill now, besides the beating up random street thugs.
This next game should be pretty entertaining.

Theonik

Are you serious I did not know that, since I've only seen the english version of Full Metal Alchemist. Now i might go ahead and watch the japanese version.
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=946048

http://i.imgur.com/XmeIrPk.png

edit: I just noticed this guy misspelled goggles. Such horrible grammer.
I initially interpreted this that you mean google protecting you from some deleted lewd.

I made it 11 episodes through After Story, which is more than one can ask of a man after the two episode flashback arc about why a woman is having sexual relations with her not-at-all-anthropomorphic-actually-just-a-literally-a-cat.
image.php

Don't bother really, what people like about After Story is exactly that contrived emotional wrangling that you so deplored on the first half so it will probably only serve to agitate you further.

I post every time I get a new volume in!

Link : ImageLink : ImageLink : Image
So cuuuute.
I feel kinda bitter at how Volume 1 is sold out. Didn't realise they were so limited.

VOTOMS: Phantom Chapter 3

I'm not the hugest fan of the CGI in this show, but I do like that they've managed to provide sufficient time to Coconna and Vanilla's rekindling of their romance rather than this being solely about "Where's Chirico?" These post VOTOMS main show OVAs continue to make choices I find both heart rending and questionable, though.
Why are you watching this and not the good VOTOMS OVAs or Mellowlink?!

Will watch.

docbon

Watch it for the style, not the substance.

I agree, it's definitely got style.

I enjoyed how they broke up the chronology a bit too, and used the post-credits for more story bits.

That said, I found myself confused far too often, as if there was a lot of information missing from the animated adaption. This includes the conclusion of the series, which I didn't like at all. The world itself was also dreadfully uninteresting.

I really wanted to like it, but it honestly just felt mediocre as a whole. :(

edit: If you do end up watching it, prepare for copious amounts of head tilting.

Theonik

The Cockpit 01: Slipstream
:Leijimatsumoto
OK let's get the good things out of the way, this looked good. Nice art, choice of colours and animation. It would also be a fine story and was into it until...
It went full stupid on me. From a German pilot being able at a glance to distinguish a nuclear bomb, something that he wouldn't have seen before that time, to some really asinine 'nuclear bombs are bad 'kay' message with dialogue gems such as these and one of the most hilarious lines I've heard in this context.
The episodes ends with our pilot shamed after intentionally letting a spitfire kill a plane with the nuke and the girl he loved, to stop the Third Reich from being the demons that first used a nuclear bomb. Then complains how he's fine with the shame as long as he didn't sell his soul to the devil. You know while flying under the banner of the Third Reich.

StayDead

So much Clannad hate :/

I've never seen anyone hate it this much.

I loved Clannad and After Story. I must've cried the final 5 episodes of it through in a row and in a way it helped me
get rid of the stupid anger I had towards my Dad who did nothing wrong, get closer to him again and meet my now step family and half sister so I've got a lot to thank it for. Maybe I'm giving it too much credit but it wasn't until after I watched After Story that I somehow twigged that holding a grudge was stupid.

Chariot

What's wrong with going to bug school? They all just want a good life!
Don't you mean... a bug's life?
I worked years at that joke. Many died in the progress.

I loved Clannad and After Story. I must've cried the final 5 episodes of it through in a row and in a way it helped me
get rid of the stupid anger I had towards my Dad who did nothing wrong, get closer to him again and meet my now step family and half sister so I've got a lot to thank it for. Maybe I'm giving it too much credit but it wasn't until after I watched After Story that I somehow twigged that holding a grudge was stupid.
Good to hear that it gave you something precious back. It's really a bautiful thing.
The story of Tomoya and Ushio is so beautiful and the best part of Clannad. Him being a bad, depressed father, realizing that and at the same time seeing the parallels to his own childhood and his father, who at least tried to care for him. Him appearing at his fathers house and washing him felt way heavier and more difficult than most of the final fights in fighting anime.

Theonik

The Cockpit 02: Sonic Boom
Now this was a lot better than the first I felt. Less 'nice' shots to be had and it didn't feel as visually appealing, but it was a more balanced and engaging work. A good part is they examined the effects of the battle from both sides which was good, hilarious American stereotypes be damned. "Kureiji da" hahaha

I watched The Last Red Shoulder already, and I made it halfway through Mellowlink before deciding the subs I had were unintelligible and putting it aside for another time.
Ah, there are a couple of other decent 2D VOTOMS OVAs btw though I don't have hands on experience with them.

CorvoSol

I actually haven't minded the entire Shining Heresy onward storyline. The one thing I'm not fond of is the decision to
make Fyana's life span no more than two years and have her die in Shining Heresy.
On the one hand, it was a deep cut for Chirico and I really felt for the guy at that point, but I kind of hated that it was a thing at all.

Otherwise, though, Chirico continuing to be a force of nature/God in a post Wise-Man world is pretty cool, and him running into Coconna, Vanilla and Gotho has been great. In fact, I kind of feel that that decision was the perfect way to help him (and the audience) cope with
the loss of Fyana.

Also seeing Jean Paul Rochina as a laughing mad monk of the Martiel faith is definitely a highlight.

Eventually I will back track to get the whole Pailsen story, too.

jgminto

Baby Steps 13
I groaned so hard when they revealed his opponent's "drawing on the court". It's just so dumb. Whenever they would show his dumb art ability I could feel the bile rise in the back of my throat. I also love Van Gogh so seeing his work involved with this stupidity was especially annoying.
I don't even know how the tennis game was supposed to look like the last one. Also apparently the parental lesson of the day is that art is suffering? I guess she was right for this particular episode. It certainly made me suffer. Speaking of Baby Steps art, I think it's time we once again looked at the true masterpieces of the show.
Now THIS is art!!! The framing, the lines, the perspective! Magnifique!!! Sports Glasses is missing out on all the real tennis art.

JCG

Mazinkaiser
It’s really a toss up for me as to whether or not this or Shin is the best the franchise has put out thus far.

I'd have to lean more towards Shin Mazinger myself, because of its greater scale and ambition. Mazinkaiser isn't bad and it did provide a good way to update the basics of the original series for modern times. Overall, I'd say it's nice to see how Mazinkaiser remained true to form while still giving fans a new titular robot to cheer for (although I believe the design itself was originally produced for a SRW game).

Mazinkaiser SKL
Too much time is spent talking about how much they like killing and dropping f-bombs and not enough time wrecking enemy mecha and shouting at the top of their lungs.

Yes, I wasn't too impressed by this production either. On paper, it seemed like a valid alternative to give the property some more room for experimentation, but I came out of the experience rather underwhelmed and not finding much to care about. Perhaps length was the issue? I can see how it needed either more episodes or better characters to actually make a difference rather than becoming a merely forgettable footnote.

Shin Getter Robo
Whether you are a fan of the Getter Robo series and have enough know-how to get the numerous references peppering the work, or only a newcomer to the realm of Super Robots, Shin Getter Robo is an excellent series for one and all!

I've always enjoyed this one a fair amount, the action is great and there's enough variation to the formula, but the fact that Imagawa wasn't able to fully realize his original goals for the series still strikes a bittersweet note with me. Not that the rest of the production didn't turn out to be quite entertaining and memorable enough, despite the various maneuvers they had to make to cover up the change of plans, but it could potentially have been even more than that.

Macross 7
Although I came around to the show more or less, I decided to skip over 7 Dynamite because I feel like I’ve had enough of this for now.

That's fair enough. For best results, Macross 7 should be approached in small doses unless you really want to get tired of it.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS
An absolutely stellar real robots series, which also serves as a tour de force of just about every kind of action movie setting one can think of. From Woodo’s sleazy, crime-rife streets to the humid jungles of Kunmen, to the wastes of Sunsen where vengeance hounds him at every turn, to the surreal finale in Quaint, VOTOMS has it all. Chirico is the archetypal strong and silent soldier of mecha anime, and though he only becomes somewhat more talkative over the series’ course, he most certainly lays the groundwork of softening up for the likes of Heero Yuy and Sousuke Sagara. His one-man war never ceases to entertain nor excite, and moments when Chirico is not present tend to be upheld by his stunning supporting cast. The final arc may perhaps best be described as Code Geass R2 if it had retained its sanity.

On the one hand, I'm glad you really liked Votoms so much. It's definitely one of the top mecha series of the 1980s and still a classic to this day. Granted, I've had my own personal nitpicks about
the true nature of Chirico's powers and the whole thing that Wiseman had going on
, which borders on science fantasy in contrast to the more down-to-earth aspects of all the robot technology, but in general the whole show and its conclusion remains a must-watch.

On the other hand, I do think that the actual sequels to Votoms have run into a case of diminishing returns and excessively involving Chirico has become a liability over time, regardless of how much I like him as a character...in addition to the simple fact that the TV series ended on the best possible note and none of the following endings have, in my opinion, been able to improve on it. If anything, the sequel OVAs have gradually detracted from it, despite having their moments of nostalgia value. I realize you've come to take a more positive view of those events, but I think at this point the property needs more diversification beyond just a couple of token efforts. Phantom Arc exemplifies the best and the worst aspects of the particular approach they've taken so far, with both welcome and unwelcome familiar elements (I'm not a fan of the final episode to be specific).

As for the last comment, I would have to disagree...to the extent that, one way or another, I am fully convinced each ending is appropriate for the respective protagonists involved, their roles and personalities. I wouldn't frame it as a matter of sanity, which is surprisingly relative when it comes to fiction, but to each his own.

cajunator

Banned
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=946048

I initially interpreted this that you mean google protecting you from some deleted lewd.

image.php

Don't bother really, what people like about After Story is exactly that contrived emotional wrangling that you so deplored on the first half so it will probably only serve to agitate you further.

I feel kinda bitter at how Volume 1 is sold out. Didn't realise they were so limited.

Why are you watching this and not the good VOTOMS OVAs or Mellowlink?!

Will watch.

I see Rizelmine in that picture. why is she there?

Jex

I actually haven't minded the entire Shining Heresy onward storyline. The one thing I'm not fond of is the decision to
make Fyana's life span no more than two years and have her die in Shining Heresy.
On the one hand, it was a deep cut for Chirico and I really felt for the guy at that point, but I kind of hated that it was a thing at all.

Otherwise, though, Chirico continuing to be a force of nature/God in a post Wise-Man world is pretty cool, and him running into Coconna, Vanilla and Gotho has been great. In fact, I kind of feel that that decision was the perfect way to help him (and the audience) cope with
the loss of Fyana.

Also seeing Jean Paul Rochina as a laughing mad monk of the Martiel faith is definitely a highlight.

Eventually I will back track to get the whole Pailsen story, too.
I've just heard too many mixed-to-negative comments about post-TV Votoms to even give any of the extra material a shot.

JCG

I've just heard too many mixed-to-negative comments about post-TV Votoms to even give any of the extra material a shot.

As one of the naysayers for those, I'd say they're not horrible per se and Corvo has already mentioned some of the nicer aspects, but I still consider them largely unnecessary.

Welcome back Corvo.

Skimming that, I wonder what you'd think of the movie. It's a different beast apparently and I usually see complaints about it "cutting out part of the story" yet anytime I look a bit further into the show, I can't help but think that's a good thing.

It does cut the other routes, side stories and such, but it also cuts most of the parts that people seems to like though.

CorvoSol

I'd have to lean more towards Shin Mazinger myself, because of its greater scale and ambition. Mazinkaiser isn't bad and it did provide a good way to update the basics of the original series for modern times. Overall, I'd say it's nice to see how Mazinkaiser remained true to form while still giving fans a new titular robot to cheer for (although I believe the design itself was originally produced for a SRW game).

Honestly I think Shin steals it as the better show but I think the Mazinkaiser is the better mech.

Yes, I wasn't too impressed by this production either. On paper, it seemed like a valid alternative to give the property some more room for experimentation, but I came out of the experience rather underwhelmed and not finding much to care about. Perhaps length was the issue? I can see how it needed either more episodes or better characters to actually make a difference rather than becoming a merely forgettable footnote.

I mostly wasn't a fan of the cast, yeah.

On the one hand, I'm glad you really liked Votoms so much. It's definitely one of the top mecha series of the 1980s and still a classic to this day. Granted, I've had my own personal nitpicks about
the true nature of Chirico's powers and the whole thing that Wiseman had going on
, which borders on science fantasy in contrast to the more down-to-earth aspects of all the robot technology, but in general the whole show and its conclusion remains a must-watch.

On the other hand, I do think that the actual sequels to Votoms have run into a case of diminishing returns and excessively involving Chirico has become a liability over time, regardless of how much I like him as a character...in addition to the simple fact that the TV series ended on the best possible note and none of the following endings have, in my opinion, been able to improve on it. If anything, the sequel OVAs have gradually detracted from it, despite having their moments of nostalgia value. I realize you've come to take a more positive view of those events, but I think at this point the property needs more diversification beyond just a couple of token efforts. Phantom Arc exemplifies the best and the worst aspects of the particular approach they've taken so far, with both welcome and unwelcome familiar elements (I'm not a fan of the final episode in particular).

As for the last comment, I would have to disagree...to the extent that, one way or another, I am fully convinced each ending is appropriate for the respective protagonists involved, their roles and personalities. I wouldn't frame it as a matter of sanity, which is surprisingly relative when it comes to fiction, but to each his own.

I definitely agree with you on a lot of that. The original ending was much better, and the sequels have yet to prove themselves and their worth to me. As to the final point, I think what I meant was more in terms of they are similar in that
both Chirico and Zero make themselves public enemy number one in an effort to achieve a greater goal. In Chirico's case it's to destroy Wise Man, and in Lelouch's it is to unite people, since he's already gone and defeated the amorphous maybedeity of his series at that point.

Honestly, had I known how Shining Heresy was going to end, I would have skipped out on it, because I'm still really, really uncertain about the big decision to
kill Fianna off
that they took there. The subsequent CGI ATs feel bloated somehow compared to the originals, but I think that Phantom Arc is doing okay in how it is handling Coconna and Vanilla's relationship.

The larger issue is whether or not any of that is really necessary.

Jex

Baby Steps 13

I don't even know how the tennis game was supposed to look like the last one. Also apparently the parental lesson of the day is that art is suffering? I guess she was right for this particular episode. It certainly made me suffer. Speaking of Baby Steps art, I think it's time we once again looked at the true masterpieces of the show.
Now THIS is art!!! The framing, the lines, the perspective! Magnifique!!! Sports Glasses is missing out on all the real tennis art.

Okay so I had to go check this out because it looked pretty obvious that all the background characters were CG even though you usually only bother with that for city shots. Heck, these characters aren't even moving and they're still CG, which they try to mask with a fake "out of focus" filter. Look at all the people striking identical poses, or who are just the same character with hair swaps:

That's not all, sometimes they even forgot to keep the same CG models behind the character that they had in literally the last very shot. Notice how the background cast change and a girl in orange appears out of nowhere. One dude's hair even changes colour:

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers Episode 6:

One thing I do like about Strikers over As is with the grand shift to the TSAB, all of the archaic chaff from previous season has been cast overboard and thus I have so far encounter no superfluous characters. That being said, the plot is taken its sweet time getting in gear but we finally have a name and a face to the villain of the season and while I do enjoy the attention to detail paid to all of the military minutia, I do want to advance the actual proceedings as well.

jgminto

Okay so I had to go check this out because it looked pretty obvious that all the background characters were CG even though you usually only bother with that for city shots. Heck, these characters aren't even moving and they're still CG, which they try to mask with a fake "out of focus" filter. Look at all the people striking identical poses, or who are just the same character with hair swaps:

That's not all, sometimes they even forgot to keep the same CG models behind the character that they had in literally the last very shot. Notice how the background cast change and a girl in orange appears out of nowhere. One dude's hair even changes colour:

Yeah, I hadn't mentioned it yet but there's zero consistency for the cg background characters. It seems like they're randomly generating them for each shot or something. Also I wouldn't even say they're masking it at this point. I think this episode was the first time they've had the CG people so close in the side character spectating shots, they'd usually have them facing the shot with the grassy hill behind them.
Another interesting thing, for one shot two episodes ago they used a
poorly
hand-drawn crowd.
I'm fairly sure that's the only shot in the entire show, or at least since this tournament started, where the crowd wasn't super obvious CG things. I wonder what the reason was?

I need to get back to that show. I really liked Nike but the king was pissing me off so much.
Arrogant shota king is best king !

Mahouka 13

It's a classic example of how information has been lost from book to anime.
As it stands , it's made for people who have read the books.

You have to actually pay attention to all the details to get "everything" since the anime doesn't do the job with monologues unless they have no choice.

Beetles are always serious business in japan.
I'm surprised this didn't happen BEFORE KANCOLLE
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers Episode 6:

One thing I do like about Strikers over As is with the grand shift to the TSAB, all of the archaic chaff from previous season has been cast overboard and thus I have so far encounter no superfluous characters. That being said, the plot is taken its sweet time getting in gear but we finally have a name and a face to the villain of the season and while I do enjoy the attention to detail paid to all of the military minutia, I do want to advance the actual proceedings as well.

What you seek is going to happen soon.

Theonik

The Cockpit 03: Knight of the Iron Dragon
veglaj.png
skcvgg.png

:firehawk
This one is a pretty weird addition to this series given planes aren't really involved much in it at all but it is still a very good episode. It covers the story of two unlikely comrades and their journey onto certain death. (kind of a running theme here)
I felt it was pretty well executed, if not a bit overly romantic, and I certainly enjoyed it.
This really reminds me of the Yamato doctor.

Overall I felt this series was a bit hit and miss, which I guess makes sense with it being a compilation of OVAs made by different directors and all but I think I would still suggest it to people wanting a short OVA to kill some time at the very least. Worth the time I spent anyway.

cajunator

Banned
No Game no Life 11

This show is amazing desu~
So many fuwas desu~
Mofukichi is hnnnngh desu~
Jibril still the best desu~

Arrogant shota king is best king !

It's a classic example of how information has been lost from book to anime.
As it stands , it's made for people who have read the books.

You have to actually pay attention to all the details to get "everything" since the anime doesn't do the job with monologues unless they have no choice.

Beetles are always serious business in japan.
I'm surprised this didn't happen BEFORE KANCOLLE

What you seek is going to happen soon.

I like to make origami beetles. Beetles are my favorite insect.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers Episode 8:

Titana does bring up an excellent point, the talent and power assembled under the roof of Mobile Section Six is astounding and if this were a different show I could imagine such a concern generating a lot of concern and internal politics. I would note how curious it would be for the tip top brass of MDS to be out in the field but then I remember this was one of the core tenants of the organization, to decouple the higher ranking members from being mere desk jockeys. Anyway, finally the opposing forces are starting to emerge and are doing mysterious things to obtain mysterious goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom