• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I am rather late to the party on this. Nevertheless, time to talk about some good anime:

[Mushi-Shi 2] - 9

mshi1cfkxd.jpg

Now this episode really feels like a return to form when compared to the previous one. While it isn't doesn't feature any moments of, say, spectacular animation the story told here actually leaves me with the longest lasting impression of any of the tales told this season because it's so thematically rich and genuinely touching.

In terms of the actual direction, Mushi-Shi rarely features any particularly stylish or innovative storyboarding and so in many ways it's hard to talk just about the visual composition of the show without stating the obvious. Nagahama's approach with the show has always been to let the story unfold naturally and so the direction actually aims to be as invisible as possible. This also means that a lot of scenes and shots will linger slightly longer than you'll see in other works as the director really gives each scene time to breathe which is very important in teams of building the kind of mystical awe the show induces.

The only really obvious moments of direction are the sequences where the only thing visible in the frame is the character on a stark white background so that we can really focus on the single image that we're being told to focus on. Here, it's this:

The symbolism isn't meant to tax the audience because it's so clear what the image represents: the Grandfather is carrying a heavy burden on his shoulders which in this case is a family secret. It's very simple, but very effective storytelling and that's something you see throughout the series.

Before I move into spoilers for the plot I would also like to add that some of the body-horror stuff in this episode was actually surprisingly off-putting and effective considering how low-key the actual scenes were. Great stuff.

With regards to the story itself, a number of interesting ideas are being discussed.
The central idea being discussed is fairly simple: how much will you sacrifice for your family? But this core idea is examined through a surprising number of lenses given the limited time available. We have the mother being sacrificed for her child, we have the father who has to live with terrible the secret and finally the man ceaselessly works to carve out his corner of the world for his family.

The idea of the man working day and night is most likely commentary on the truly dreadful hours that people work in Japan beyond what they should. What's interesting about this particular story is that rather than being destroyed by the Mushi within him or opting to purge it from his body the man chooses to use this power to help provide for his family and at the very end he isn't punished for this choice, which you might expect. He seems like one of the few people who've harnessed the power of a Mushi and managed to achieve only good things. You could read this as almost an endorsement of the overtime that you commonly hear about people working in Japan (and other Asian countries) but I personally wouldn't go that far.

[Mushi-Shi 2] - 10

This is a far, far simpler episode in terms of story and idea than the previous one but it's still a pleasure to watch. The twists and turns that occur as the plot develops and the way Ginko as the protaganist respond to them is very interesting and also very indicative of the kind of stories that you find in Mushi-Shi as a whole. The message here is that nature can and will find a way to survive and flourish irrespective of what man actually thinks or does.

In general one thing that most people writing about this series neglect to mention is the quality of the background because it's so consistently good. I'd still like to give its due because without the fantastic worldbuilding provided by the background art I believe the show would lose a substantial amount of it's charm and tone. The art is so impressive and beautiful that it really takes you to this other world before the story has even begun:

fertygo

It's a classic example of how information has been lost from book to anime.
As it stands , it's made for people who have read the books.

You have to actually pay attention to all the details to get "everything" since the anime doesn't do the job with monologues unless they have no choice.

Zeus Thunderous, are you saying the book have even more monologue than what the anime shown???
I can't...

sonicmj1

I am rather late to the party on this. Nevertheless, time to talk about some good anime:

[Mushi-Shi 2] - 9

The idea of the man working day and night is most likely commentary on the truly dreadful hours that people work in Japan beyond what they should. What's interesting about this particular story is that rather than being destroyed by the Mushi within him or opting to purge it from his body the man chooses to use this power to help provide for his family and at the very end he isn't punished for this choice, which you might expect. He seems like one of the few people who've harnessed the power of a Mushi and managed to achieve only good things. You could read this as almost an endorsement of the overtime that you commonly hear about people working in Japan (and other Asian countries) but I personally wouldn't go that far.

He doesn't immediately use it, but the end shows us that at some point he does (winter returning to the valley) without sacrificing his family's happiness. His example of things going well thanks to his eventual moderation is a counterpoint to the sacrifice his mother made, literally sacrificing her blood, sweat, and tears so her child could thrive.

Mekaku City Actors 12
Pretty confusing and rushed ending. So many things that weren't explained well that I would probably have to look up if I didn't beforehand. It was a rather enjoyable happy end though i felt the plot was kind of fanfictiony I guess

/XX/

Girls und Panzer 1

rommel girl cracks me up every time she appears for some reason too.
Girls und Panzer 2
http://i.imgur.com/AgwEhzzl.png http://i.imgur.com/dCerJSgl.jpg
Early candidate for best girl just ahead of Yukari when she goes off around tanks like Sei around gunpla.
I was meaning to say to you this for a time... sorry man, better be careful with that traitor of Erwin, don't go trusting so much in her:

http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/84804432/#p84868822 said:
http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/109500641/#p109506184 said:

Zeus Thunderous, are you saying the book have even more monologue than what the anime shown???
I can't...
The world building in the books is insane.
Lots of stuff explained , and as a result most of the stuff that happens make perfect sense.
The first 4 books of mahouka are quite big i'd tell you.

Whoa Im seeing some questionable screencaps of Dragonar. Is it THAT kind of a show?

There is censored and a uncensored version..

The uncensored version is borderline.. you can watch the censored version without the tentacles.if you wish
It's still a fun show regardless.

Chariot

I was meaning to say to you this for a time... sorry man, better be careful with that traitor of Erwin, don't go trusting so much in her:
What is this a parody of, is there more? I really like that stuff.
Or isn't it a parody at all? :8

Jintor

love live s2 9

Yeah this maybe got a little too melodramatic over the weather. The bgm is right out of an emotional scene in a jrpg lol. I'm thinking xenoblade.

Lol impromptu marathon. How weird

Oooh special credits. Yay!

Jintor

Oh man I swear that's like a half dozen shots of actual 2d animation in this snow halation pv and it looks fixing astounding compared to the goddamn uncanny valley bullshit

Tonari no Seki-kun 04-05

Unlucky for Yokoi that she's sitting near Seki during science class too.

A rather unorthodox game of Go in the first episode, and then Seki experiences some despair too in the other episode.

Midonin

Brynhildr 13 + Final Thoughts

The death or near-death count was coming quickly and with little warning, the twists occurred at a mile a minute, and it still found time for Kazumi to get in one more lewd wondering as the world around her dissolved into goop.
I've never seen Elfen Lied, but I stand by the question I asked before. I wonder if the writer sincerely believed in the story he's telling - and most do - or if this was some deliberate messing with people. I'd prefer to believe the first one, it says better things about humanity. Sure, we can create goofy stories like this one that veer wildly between tones, but maybe somewhere beneath all of that there is something the writer's trying to say.

I'd end up ranking it similar to Dai Shogun. It was never boring, and while it was clearly an unpolished story, that doesn't mean it's without merits. A lot of rising voice actresses got to have some fun, the service was decent and the concepts behind the witches, though ridiculous, aren't bad in and of themselves. Even if they seem designed to draw a lot of blood.
Sad we lost Kotori.
So it was all over the place, but in a good way.

Meanwhile, Pretty Rhythm...
Just a recap/compilation movie. But there's hope yet.

Sword Art Online - 17

Mr. Sugou, may I please ask you just what the purpose of all this is? Like, I know you're an asshole who wants to see Asuna suffering, but...why? What are you getting out of this?

Virtual World Domination? Virtual Money and Power? Can you stop being an asshole for just a moment and just EXPLAIN what your goals are? What is your plan? Aside from the things you're no doubt planning on doing to Asuna and her memories? Every villain has a plan and a purpose! Dio had a purpose! Kyubey had a purpose! WHAT IS THE REASON FOR ALL OF THIS?!?

Oh my shit. He gave Asuna the name "Titania". THAT'S ERZA'S BADASS NICKNAME. NOW I CAN'T LOOK AT FAIRY TAIL IN THE SAME WAY AGAIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

YxSwew8.gif

TUSR

Banned
Sword Art Online - 17

Mr. Sugou, may I please ask you just what the purpose of all this is? Like, I know you're an asshole who wants to see Asuna suffering, but...why? What are you getting out of this?

Virtual World Domination? Virtual Money and Power? Can you stop being an asshole for just a moment and just EXPLAIN what your goals are? What is your plan? Aside from the things you're no doubt planning on doing to Asuna and her memories? Every villain has a plan and a purpose! Dio had a purpose! Kyubey had a purpose! WHAT IS THE REASON FOR ALL OF THIS?!?

Oh my shit. He gave Asuna the name "Titania". THAT'S ERZA'S BADASS NICKNAME. NOW I CAN'T LOOK AT FAIRY TAIL IN THE SAME WAY AGAIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

YxSwew8.gif

second arc sucks

Kingdom s2 Episode 37

Good developments though why are they starting a new war and a new arc with so few epiosdes left. Does it end on a cliffhanger, is the manga arc still on going?

Bringing back chengjiao into the plot is strange, wasnt he already a traitor, what can he even do to thwart the Prime Minister's plan and even the Lady Dowanger, in just two episodes :(

second arc sucks

This is such a huge drop in quality it's not funny.

Like, the first half is mediocre. There were enjoyable parts of it, despite the whole thing being so stupid.

But this?!? How do you go from an episode where
two lovers vanish from their world together in a tight embrace to an episode where a guy shows up and is all "Hello, I'm going to marry this 17 year old girl in a coma and there's nothing any of you can do about it."

Whats that even mean? There are plot focused anime where you dont need to pay attention in order to understand it? I would hope people are paying attention to storytelling.

Hey i had to argue on this very forom about the thing with "liberté" because people missed the clues on screen ( because it wasn't explicitly told to them )

So yeah some details are lost .

TUSR

Banned
This is such a huge drop in quality it's not funny.

Like, the first half is mediocre. There were enjoyable parts of it, despite the whole thing being so stupid.

But this?!? How do you go from an episode where
two lovers vanish from their world together in a tight embrace to an episode where a guy shows up and is all "Hello, I'm going to marry this 17 year old girl in a coma and there's nothing any of you can do about it."

it really jumped the shark, SAO deserves to be shit on with how back it was executed. just wait until later on you will hate the second arc even more

its offensive its so bad

Idolmaster got a movie
Aikatsu is getting a movie
Love Live is getting a movie

Meanwhile, Pretty Rhythm...

Is probably getting another fucking season.

There's something that's rather common with the ones getting a movie "movie" though.

The primary cast consists entirely of girls, with little to no actual male interaction (Aikatsu has Raichi, iM@S has the producer). Maybe PR needs to take a hint?

I came back to find this post because I just beat Watch Dogs and I really disliked it. That's obviously your fault.

That's never a good alternative!

How is Watch Dogs my fault lol. I mean I enjoyed the game enough to beat it, but the story and characters are shit. The shit around the city was fun, but the side missions were disappointing. As somebody who wanted something to play on his ps4 it was enough. But I rented it.

Narag

Girls und Panzer 10

Great breather ep/setup for the finale.
It's cute how Kelly's Heroes has such an apparent cultural influence in this world or Yukari at least influencing the younger girls to watch it.. :lol

Theonik

Girls und Panzer 10

Great breather ep/setup for the finale.
It's cute how Kelly's Heroes has such an apparent cultural influence in this world or Yukari at least influencing the younger girls to watch it.. :lol
Now remember, we waited 3 months for the episode that followed this one.

Tenumi

Banned
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: 13

I swear, every episode is getting more ridiculous than the last. And I like it.

I had a dream last night that I was onii-sama and all the girls were all over me, but the sister was nowhere to be seen. Until the very end when she was crying in the corner while I ate ice cream.

If you were a Psych 101 freshmen student, how would you analyze this dream AnimeGAF? Does it mean I have deep seated desires of attention-whore-ism or that I want a harem? Or does it simply mean I watched that episode late at night before i fell asleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom