• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Excel Saga 13-20

A block of episodes that begins with a recap and ends with a recap, but both of them get meta enough with the concept of recaps and are different enough in their content that sitting through both of them was worth the cost of admission... which for streaming is nothing, but let's not split hairs. The second Menchi episode was once again kinda heartwarming, and the Ropponmatsu saga was fine (especially when it resulted in enough stuff that pinged my yuri goggles), but episodes 17 and 18 were my favorite of the bunch.

17 for getting meta about the nature of animation itself, including the change to digital that was going on at the time. Excel's extended stay in "America" was also highly entertaining, including the Sailor Moon homage. Which is on my mind a lot lately, such as tonight and this Saturday. Everything went all Disney, too. And 18 was enjoyable because it's a toku homage. Not quite as good as the Rolling Bomber Special short, but I'd put it at about equal with Mitsudomoe's Gachiranger.

Oh, and the singing preview for episode 21 was great.

That's enough Excel for one day.

You should be careful not to consume that Excel Saga in a single dat, it's hazardous to one's health.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC V 10-11

nXHPsKWl.jpg

It's nice to see this series is continuing the fine tradition of having a completely useless female side character.

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha OVA

Cute OVA of more life lessons learning and I guess more heart points gaining.

Dog Days' 01

And we're back to the world of prime time war! And now Sink has dragged two girls along too!

Yowamushi Pedal 38

lol, that cliffhanger

Atelier Escha & Logy 12

Well thank goodness this is over. No idea bad attempts at action or story telling. Yeah, please don't bother making an Atelier Shallie adaptation.

cajunator

Banned
Unless Sentai messed up on their relaunch of their site.

November they are releasing Hidamari Sketch Hoshimittsu Bluray
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/shows/hidamari-sketch-hoshimittsu

December they are releasing Maid Sama on Bluray
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/shows/maid-sama

I wonder how much Sentai spends on each license.
ADV and Geneon died spending hundreds of thousands on each license.

I want a recount.

Team Lizbeth

1. Worst girl
2. doesn't exist girl
3. his cousin
4. loli
5. best girl
6. dead girl

Two people with the best taste

Jarmel

Banned
New Dominion Tank Police-6 [fin]
DROP IT ASSHOLE!
Diplomatic Immunity.
It's just been revoked.
Pretty good episode for the series to go out in. Tied most of the stuff together in a relatively satisfactory fashion. Tone felt lighter compared to the past couple of episodes despite a few rather serious moments. Really enjoyed the climax scene with ED playing over it, although the reused footage at the very end and playing the ED again hurt the high from the climax.
ib12vcXD5newmY.jpg

What sort of name is this?
There wasn't as much action in this episode compared to the last but there was a really good cut in the middle.
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/893e8f303e4adc5181addc8c230c1d64.webm
I have to say that I enjoyed New Dominion much more than OG when all is said and done. This series doesn't get trapped in the philosophical musings of a mad man and while there are some serious moments and a dull episode, it holds itself together much better than it's predecessor. Not to mention NDTP has the vastly superior OP. Everything works much better as a whole and it does that balance between comedy and drama, ok for the most part except for episode 4. This isn't a deep franchise but NDTP entertained me enough for it to be a decent watch.

One Piece Movie 10: Strong World

tumblr_m4t509ukKL1rux6cuo1_500.gif

Props to Nami for starting this movie already kidnapped. That's getting ahead of the curve.

The Villain in Strong World is Shiki the Golden Lion, a man with swords for legs and a ship's wheel embedded in his head who never stops saying babycakes. He has the fruit that makes things levitate, but since this is a movie that translates to "pretty much anything". His crew consists of a clown wearing the shoes from the SpongeBob episode "Squeaky Boots" and a perverted Gorilla wearing woman's clothes. This puts him as the man with the 864th most ridiculous crew on the Grand Line.

His plan is to inject a bunch of animals with Getter Rays Evolution Juice so he can play Monster Hunter in real life.
But really his plan is to
send in a bunch of giant mutant animals to wreck a bunch of shit so the World Government will surrender because he's mad Roger and Garp are way cooler then him and they beat him up 20 years ago, and that Blackbeard stole his laugh. This is a very stupid plan, because anyone with Conqueror's Haki would just make the animals stop.

The things I had problems with were
Nami just giving up and trying to kamikaze the whole operation. Did she really think that the crew wouldn't come save her? She clearly did, given as she totally says that they will. Stupidly out of character. And also Shiki had Luffy in a giant bubble of water. Then he just cuts it up and lets him out of it. For someone with a Devil Fruit power he sure isn't too keen on using the THING THAT WILL 100% GUARANTEE KILL HIS ENEMY

Best part of the movie was seeing the pre-Timeskip designs again and the outfits the crew wore at the end
plus the gigantic shootout with the stupidly oversized weapons they brought. It's just so "only in a movie" that I can't hate it.
The outfits they had before were weird, and it seems Robin and Nami
and Franky
had an outright refusal to wear any pants for most this adventure.

Decent movie, not as good as Film Z. I should probably watch Movie 6 sometime.

Clov

I wonder how much Sentai spends on each license.
ADV and Geneon died spending hundreds of thousands on each license.

From what I've heard, prices have fallen a lot since then. Back in those days some anime (including big properties like Fullmetal Alchemist) could cost up to $80K per episode to license. These days most anime are way under that, with some costing $1K or below per episode to bring over.

Edit: To get an idea, here's what a handful of ADV's licenses cost: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-30/adv-court-documents-reveal-amounts-paid-for-29-anime-titles

firehawk12

Subete no aware
From what I've heard, prices have fallen a lot since then. Back in those days some anime (including big properties like Fullmetal Alchemist) could cost up to $80K per episode to license. These days most anime are way under that, with some costing $1K or below per episode to bring over.

Edit: To get an idea, here's what a handful of ADV's licenses cost: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-30/adv-court-documents-reveal-amounts-paid-for-29-anime-titles

During the ANNCast, the Anime Sols dude hinted at the bargain bin prices for old licenses - implying it's why Gatchaman came out - so I have to imagine that the rights are similarly low for newer shows. Funimation is annoying coy (because they don't want to reveal their numbers to Sentai) and of course Sentai doesn't do any press whatsoever, so I suppose it's all speculation.

Clov

During the ANNCast, the Anime Sols dude hinted at the bargain bin prices for old licenses - implying it's why Gatchaman came out - so I have to imagine that the rights are similarly low for newer shows. Funimation is annoying coy (because they don't want to reveal their numbers to Sentai) and of course Sentai doesn't do any press whatsoever, so I suppose it's all speculation.

Yeah, if a small company like Anime Sols is able to bring stuff over, the prices have definitely fallen a lot. It's probably why we have companies like them and Discotek able to bring over so much. Exactly how much they've fallen, we might not know for sure, but it's nowhere near what it used to be.

cajunator

Banned

Thats waaaaay better. I was really wondering how they could afford to keep licensing such a huge amount of stuff.

Jarmel

Banned

Someone should kickstart Hyouka.

Dead

well not really...yet

Most expensive title on that list is BONES Also best show on that list

:2004

Kadokawa also did some upscales for their previous SD shows with the OP/ED re-done. I'll provide two examples:
FMP: TSR OP/Ep2
Haruhi 2006 OP/Ep1

The FMP: TSR box came out while KyoAni were animating After Story, so it was produced in 720p. The Haruhi BD-Box was during KyoAni's shift to 1080p productions, so it was actually their first work mastered in 1080p. Its main episodes were upscaled by Q-TEC, as you can see with the blurry backgrounds compared to FMP:TSR's. Really a shame and I wonder if that'll be part of the " partly digital re-mastered" mentioned for the 2006 BD-box.

You know what resolution Kanon 2006 was produced in?

Nice things.

haly banned? show us mercy, tomat

Will haly be back or is it perma?

I wish! Maybe we'll see it at Anime Expo if we're lucky.

I hope so!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
My zero tolerance policy on all F2P games prevents me from dabbling more into these games then I did way back when I realized they were basically stripped down RTSes (I hate RTSes)
Free to play as a model is pretty diverse. It's not exactly morally reprehensible in a way that warrants writing off everything that falls under the F2P umbrella. Lord management games are not really like RTS games at all either, where the tenants of multi-tasking and insular resource collection kind of reign supreme.
During the ANNCast, the Anime Sols dude hinted at the bargain bin prices for old licenses - implying it's why Gatchaman came out - so I have to imagine that the rights are similarly low for newer shows.
I wouldn't blame you if you fell asleep during the ANNcast, but Anime Sols has to charge more for that new detective show nobody wants because of higher licensing fees.

iavi

I've been slowly watching through Space Battleship Yamamoto. Up to episode 17 now, and all I can say is

WHY

IS

THIS

SHOW

SO

FUCKING

GOOD??

It's other-echelon good. I haven't run into an ep that wasn't an A yet. The hype in here while this show was airing must have been fuel for the soul.

fertygo

It's other-echelon good. I haven't run into an ep that wasn't an A yet. The hype in here while this show was airing must have been fuel for the soul.

Yeah.... its not though, because the show released as OVA most just marathon it. the hype just been accumulated after final episode available.

Quasar

Kyoani sure like making movies for their bomba (see: tamako market)

Well that (Tamako Market) at least is something I'm interested in, unlike anything else they seem to have in development. Which makes me sad. I like Kyoani, they just aren't making anything that looks interesting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom