• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Dominion Tank Police-2
iAaGMOXopwU03.jpg

I miss 80/90s waifus.
An entire episode that revolves around piss and taking the piss. Holy shit at the scale for the tank chase, that must have been a pain to animate as I know how much animators hate crowds/large groups. There were a ton of Western references in this, mixed in with the penis jokes. I very much like the cast, mostly because of how lighthearted everybody is in this. The Puma girls are almost always smiling and Not-Noa is becoming awesome at being awesome. The new tank has so much character to it, that I almost want to give it a bellyrub. The 2 vs 1 tank duel was pretty sakuga and since the show is not at all realistic, they play loose with physics at times to make the fights pretty entertaining.
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/7e0dce29f0fb19527f95090087d33d6b.webm
Scooby Doo, where are you? We've got some work to do now.
What accent do the Puma girls have in the dub? It sounds Australian weirdly enough.
iCUwWgxVVVquF.jpg

Tom Sellick you beautiful bastard.
Looking forward to Bonaparte wrecking some fools.

I still largely enjoy how many episodes they spent on the waifu shit for the first half. I thought it was good cheese. Then the show went all rapey lick and tentacle shit

trejo

whyyouwatchingthistrejo

icouldhavehelpedyouman
Thefleshisweak :(

We made it clear going in stuff like that is there.

Ep 2 is when it starts to shine. If you don't like it then, skip to episode 6, then drop it.
I'll give it the ole 3 episode rule but man that level of fanservice is all types of unnecessary.

That is nothing.

Do yourself a favor and search for Urotsukidōji. Now that is something.
Legend of the Overfiend is a great source of hilarity with how over the top it can be. I believe I've tried to get Icarus to watch it in the past in order to get some impressions out of her but no dice yet, I don't think.

Like if you read everything that was pointed out with the first episode as a whole, that doesn't represent the whole show. There's basically like one more episode they brought all the perverted shit they've been holding off, and the rest is just entertaining leads and main characters.

It's by no means the most brilliant show ever, but lord knows it's more entertaining than most crap this season.
More entertaining than PING PONG?

Superflat

The amusing part about reading your impressions is that these initial episodes are the part of the show that I thought was good.

Well, I'd say it was good for the first 14 eps. As fun, if not more than any action series I've seen in the past few seasons.

But then

Then the show went all rapey lick and tentacle shit

Yeah. And that's only one of like 20 things wrong with the later material.

Patiently waiting for the dub version to air since alot of companies have taken interest here.

I can't see Youkai Watch being very successful in English-speaking markets, given how heavily it relies on Japanese culture.

Still the best thing to come out of this show.

The amusing part about reading your impressions is that these initial episodes are the part of the show that I thought was good.

Sword Art Online was boring from the first episode.

Did you watch that scene with "CRAAAAAAAAAAAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" playing in the background?

Nah, then I'd just be humouring the show. The show wants me to be sad. I'm not.

Still the best thing to come out of this show.

It's not really. There's nothing really special about Kirito other than just having the role of a powerful main character doing stuff! He's just kinda boring really.

Hell, Klein should be the real main protagonist here. He's the newbie in this world while Kirito is the expert! He had to learn to adjust and survive to this new world while Kirito already had a clear idea of what to expect. They'd have a much more interesting story going on here if they just swapped the roles.

jman2050

It's not really. There's nothing really special about Kirito other than just having the role of a powerful main character doing stuff! He's just kinda boring really.

Hell, Klein should be the real main protagonist here. He's the newbie in this world while Kirito is the expert! He had to learn to adjust and survive to this new world while Kirito already had a clear idea of what to expect. They'd have a much more interesting story going on here if they just swapped the roles.

But then how would 13-year old boys be able to self-insert into some clueless newbie who doesn't get a harem of hot chicks?

(Make no note of the inherent hypocrisy in this statement given where we are!)

If that were the case then Log Horizon should've focused on the twins and the kids. And the episodes that focused on them instead of Shiro pushing his glasses were the fucking worst.

sonicmj1

Sword Art Online - 3

This show just can't calm the hell down. It's so excited to get on with its SUPER EMOTIONAL STUFF that it can't help but constantly throw death flag after death flag at me in the vain hopes I'll give it the reaction it wants!

Also, that was a pretty bizarre jump in the opening. We left off the last episode with Kirito defining himself as a Beater (BAHAHAHAHA) while acting like some Lelouch wannabe in front of a bunch of scared players to literally starting the episode with him sharing some drinks with a few guys he just so happened to save! I thought I missed an episode.

Oh look it's that suicide gif.

such sad

much tears

Nothing can top 80s waifus!

Is that the one from Orange Road? She was great. Shame that the guy was in indecisive pansy fuck. At least in the films he grew a pair. But realistically any girl would've dumped that zero and gotten herself a heeeeeeeeeeero.

Sorry I turned sassy fat lady from talk show for a second there.

Hattori

Banned
Is that the one from Orange Road? She was great. Shame that the guy was in indecisive pansy fuck. At least in the films he grew a pair. But realistically any girl would've dumped that zero and gotten herself a heeeeeeeeeeero.

Sorry I turned sassy fat lady from talk show for a second there.

no, she's from the superior 80's romcom anime Maison Ikkoku :p

What are everyone's opinion's on Tenjho Tenge? Finished watching the Discotek DVDs a few hours ago.

I must say this is probably my first blind buy that I didn't enjoy. The art was fine, music was great (especially the OP), and the voice cast matched the characters well (Japanese seiyuu). I just seemed to lose connection with the story at episode 10 when
the first of two flashbacks occur
. I know this was somewhat needed to the story,
but after six episodes of flashback there's only three present day episodes until the second flashback followed by just one present day episode to finish the series (not counting the two OVAs). I mean 11/24 TV episodes were flashbacks!

And then the ending? I may be missing something major,
but nothing seems resolved with either the TV or OVA endings. I guess it's one of those endings where you basically have to read the manga to get the actually ending, but in this case you would think the OVAs might actually give some closing as an anime-original ending

In the end I guess I would say that I didn't necessarily hate the series, but I probably won't be viewing it a second time. Maybe some time long down the line I will try the series again to see how the English dub holds up.

I'll give it the ole 3 episode rule but man that level of fanservice is all types of unnecessary.

The loli fanservice isn't quite as prominent as the fanservice of other more developed characters, though there are a few scenes in episode 6 that you WILL take issue with. Unfortunate, as beyond those scenes, it's one of the most ridiculously amazing episodes ever.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Mahouka 1-8

So this show isn't terrible. It's just really really bad. The amount of jargon throwing and technobabble that happens in this show makes Final Fantasy XIII look like it's just plain English. Jeez. It would be one thing if they took the time to just simply explain the workings of the world. Instead the writing just trots along without giving a second thought to how the world works and as a result the explanations and reasonings for why some of the events that are happening make it seem hamfisted up the wazoo.

Of course, that's one of the few reasons why I dislike the show. One of the most glaring part is Miyuki. Holy crap. This character screams "I'm a slave." Were it not for Tatsuya being on the screen every fucking second of this show, Miyuki would actually be a decent character even if she is OP as fuck. Speaking of Miyuki, you can't talk about her without her beloved fucking ONII-SAMA. Fuck this guy. If we thought Kirito was bad because of his bland personality then Tatsuya is by far worse. Emotionless douchebag who tries to act like a hero. This guy is the epitome of a blank slate. Please. Just insert yourself into this character and totally live the male power fantasy. Oh, of course we can't leave out the Miyuki dynamic. Miyuki's personality is just as empty with her only notable traits being super fucking OP and her love for Tatsuya. Fuck these two characters. I hate them.

I do enjoy seeing the magic rip people too shreds. The characters look cool, espeically the main cast. I think that it's sort of dumb that they wear high school uniforms all the time. Well... Not dumb per se but rather wasteful. The visuals are pretty and very clean and I think it would've benefited from more varied outfits.

Overall I think this show is an absolute piece of trash when relating everything with the writing. The pacing between episodes is bad. The pacing of the episodes itself is bad. The characters suck and don't really have much personality to it. Dialogue is boring and dumb as fuck. The premise of the show is dumb as fuck. I just... I don't know. Despite that I think this is one of the more enjoyable shows I've watched because of the bizarre and dumb shit going on. This isn't so much of a hatewatch as it is, "Oh. Cool. Stuff is happening. I wonder what will happen next."

no, she's from the superior 80's romcom anime Maison Ikkoku :p

Man I forgot I still need to watch that. But I really don't want to deal with more indecisive male AND female leads for so many episodes again. That shit stresses me out too much. For now at least. I might watch it later.

The loli fanservice isn't quite as prominent as the fanservice of other more developed characters, though there are a few scenes in episode 6 that you WILL take issue with. Unfortunate, as beyond those scenes, it's one of the most ridiculously amazing episodes ever.

Yeah outside of that overly fan service thing, it really was a very fun episode. I'm all for hating on fan service, but if a genuinely good show is behind it then I can deal with it. Like with Yozakura Quartet.

I like the show because they are doing a good job at showing you how clever the male lead is in general. Sure Shiro might be the genius, but getting by on your wits? That's fucking awesome.

Narag

discotek facebook page talking about a show so bad it's good and that it's never been on dvd in north america.

c'mon musashi gundoh!

Sorry but I'll defend onii-sama as being hilariously the epitome of Gary Stu till the day I die. He makes Kirito look like a hard worker, which is funny as shit in its own way.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sorry but I'll defend onii-sama as being hilariously the epitome of Gary Stu till the day I die. He makes Kirito look like a hard worker, which is funny as shit in its own way.

Pretty much. I hate Tatsuya. I like how he looks but everything else about him just makes me want to puke. Literally a blank slate.

Hattori

Banned
You and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things and often argue but I'm proud to say we can agree on this.
:)
Man I forgot I still need to watch that. But I really don't want to deal with more indecisive male AND female leads for so many episodes again. That shit stresses me out too much. For now at least. I might watch it later.
It's a very long series (96 eps) so you'll have to commit time into watching it, but I would definitely say it's worth it.

Timing, spacing, layout interaction, frame composition, abstraction etc are all major concepts of traditional animation that pretty much go out the window when you work with cg.

It's stop motion puppetry basically, and it shows. Not necessarily a bad thing, but when you try to make it appear as something else, or mesh it with other elements, it's jarring for the most part.

Sounds pro,but why should i care when the most important is how it feels?

Rhapsody

Banned
I still haven't seen the latest Mahouka episodes. I followed the light novels, so I'm in no rush.
I guess I'm not too surprised at the hate some people give it. Oh well.

As far as world building goes, the novels had a lot of it which the anime chose to adapt. I don't think it hurts the pacing too much (but it does get overwhelming). But I do like that they do go over some of it while some anime like To Aru and Tokyo Ravens seem to entirely skip it.

Rhapsody

Banned
That was set in a university? I'm guessing by your reaction it wasn't that great.

Yeah. I found it ok. There was a lot of drama and it doesn't help that the adaptation wasn't great.
I'm usually more tolerant than others in anime likes these, but there were some questionable parts to it.

Jintor

If that were the case then Log Horizon should've focused on the twins and the kids. And the episodes that focused on them instead of Shiro pushing his glasses were the fucking worst.

Depends where you go with it. Shiroe was (relatively) interesting because he always kept his plans hidden from the audience as well as the enemy so there was always a 'where's he going to go with this' factor to it. Whereas Kirito just... shit tends to happen so that he wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom