• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
One Week Friends 7

Took some effort to finish watching the episode, been finding the slower moments of the show really a chore to go through, but at least there has been plenty of scenes of Hase being a nice guy idiot who can't react properly. On the other hand, it's funny to see this amnesia thing become a nonexistent issue at this point of the show.

Caesnd

You mean full framerate action scene is cheap?

Timing, spacing, layout interaction, frame composition, abstraction etc are all major concepts of traditional animation that pretty much go out the window when you work with cg.

It's stop motion puppetry basically, and it shows. Not necessarily a bad thing, but when you try to make it appear as something else, or mesh it with other elements, it's jarring for the most part.

Clov

I actually like the look of stop motion animation better than CGI. It has a really neat, rough quality to it. A lot of Koji Yamamura's older work used stop-motion in some way, including some cute shorts he made for NHK. Pretty neat stuff.

Fate/Zero S2 10
c20120608_fatezero_06_cs1w1_720x.jpg
Waver is still a pansy but you gotta respect how those last few minutes of the episode played out. Archer seems to greatly respect Rider. The way
Rider was taken out was pretty great. Huge props on how he went out like a badass
. Also that thing about Sabers rule seems to be rearing it's head with the revelation that
Berserker is Lancelot

The war on pants is serious business!
A battle that the witches aren't even participating in! Damned Funimation.
But even witches wear shorts while playing football.
Why believe fanartists when you can believe in Humi DA GAWD'S wisdom? Bloomers in football soccer is truly the only way to go. An Erica from based Sandwich is also welcome.

Dog Days' 01

So yeah I must post impressions for this don't I? It's another season of Dog Days. Only this time it's mofuer than ever. And thank fuwa jesus for that.
All that brushing. And petting. And Yukikaze life.
Éclair remains the best however. Though this show really is heavenly to be frank.
These wardrobe malfunctions though *NSFW*
I don't think I'll survive this.
SO GOOD.
Dog Days' 02

I see the super mofu nation has joined the fray.
I will not survive this.
Also oh god that transformation. It was even lewder on TV? OH SHIT.
SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Also Nanami so good she can compete with mofuwas, tomboys stronk.

Caesnd

I actually like the look of stop motion animation better than CGI. It has a really neat, rough quality to it. A lot of Koji Yamamura's older work used stop-motion in some way, including some cute shorts he made for NHK. Pretty neat stuff.

True. In actual stop motion you can work with frames the traditional way.

I guess with how convoluted the animation tools that are included in even the most expensive 3D packages makes this more difficult though. There really needs to be a breakthrough on that front. The reaction to Modo 801 finally including things like time markers, spacing charts and onion skinning is a start I guess. I don't think even Maya has things like that, even though it is by far the most utilised package when it comes to animation (even in Japan i think).

The 'Rig - Manipulate Guides - Render' approach is very cumbersome for the type of animation Japanese animators excel at.

Theonik

Hold on, they censored that transformation sequence on the DVD/BD? Interesting, surely it would be the other way round.
Yes they did.
NSFW
A battle that the witches aren't even participating in! Damned Funimation.
Why believe fanartists when you can believe in Humi DA GAWD'S wisdom? Bloomers in football soccer is truly the only way to go. An Erica from based Sandwich is also welcome.

SO GOOD.
SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Also Nanami so good she can compete with mofuwas, tomboys stronk.
SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Tomboys indeed stronk. Already in love with S2.

Clov

True. In actual stop motion you can work with frames the traditional way.

I guess with how convoluted the animation tools that are included in even the most expensive 3D packages makes this more difficult though. There really needs to be a breakthrough on that front. The reaction to Modo 801 finally including things like time markers, spacing charts and onion skinning is a start I guess. I don't think even Maya has things like that, even though it is by far the most utilised package when it comes to animation (even in Japan i think).

The 'Rig - Manipulate Guides - Render' approach is very cumbersome for the type of animation Japanese animators excel at.

That does sound pretty time consuming, which I can imagine is a major problem with how often Japanese studios rush to make a deadline. If those new animation tools are able to improve/streamline the process, we might even end up seeing more CGI anime outside of theaters.

Nafe

In kind of anime related info but also not really, Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!!'s PS3/PSVita release is out now for anyone interested. You have to import from Japan right now if you aren't already there though. Western companies may pick up the game like they did the original release perhaps.

No Game No Life continues to be a mainstay on the LN charts (for the last week)
7. 11,491 108,717 No Game No Life Vol.1
8. 10,934 101,213 No Game No Life Vol.2
3. 13,550 96,221 No Game No Life Vol.3
10. 10,762 89,478 No Game No Life Vol.4
13. 10,163 101,270 No Game No Life Vol.5
9. 10,836 90,324 No Game No Life Vol.6

Good, good~

Went to the mall to get food came back with this.

Cajun bought a mature anime?

Kinda shocked.

Why is that even rated TV-MA?

In kind of anime related info but also not really, Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!!'s PS3/PSVita release is out now for anyone interested. You have to import from Japan right now if you aren't already there though. Western companies may pick up the game like they did the original release perhaps.
Fall 2014 for NA apparently! Weiß best girl as far as I know, no bias here folks.

Theonik

Because it's probably not worth it for a bad show with occasional highs, but then again Subaru oh my GOD Subaru.
OH.MY.GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. WHY WOULD I NOT WATCH THAT. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Aksys already has it for Fall.

Fall 2014 for NA apparently! Weiß best girl as far as I know, no bias here folks.
Weiss is serious kichi that wants to be normal. She's pretty best but the cast is TOO GOOD. Cannot pick.

Link Man

Banned
Waganaria!!2 3

izJVVGF6sA4Vu.jpg

It's wonderful that you can tell where the wall has been patched due to Inami.

Oh god, I love how Nazuna played Yamada there.

These misunderstandings between the sisters are hilarious!

This ED is amazing.

Caesnd

That does sound pretty time consuming, which I can imagine is a major problem with how often Japanese studios rush to make a deadline. If those new animation tools are able to improve/streamline the process, we might even end up seeing more CGI anime outside of theaters.

It is a problem because of how dependent Japanese studios are on western products when it comes to cg animation, and it's been getting worse from a consumer perspective as Autodesk is consolidating the previously competing products under one brand, stagnating the development of each in the process (Maya, 3ds Max), and killing the rest that they don't need once they scavenged the popular parts (XSI).

It would be nice if the Modo developers reached out to Japanese studios, seeing as how it is sort of the spiritual successor to Lightwave (which is very popular even now I think),
but seeing as how much bigger the western cg animation market is, it seems unlikely.

Mothman91

Little bit over half way through Darker than Black, pretty good show. I'm guessing I'm getting to the main arc now.

After this is done, I'm thinking of trying Baccano or Fate/Zero again. What do you guys think I should go for first?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Little bit over half way through Darker than Black, pretty good show. I'm guessing I'm getting to the main arc now.

After this is done, I'm thinking of trying Baccano or Fate/Zero again. What do you guys think I should go for first?

Baccano.
Fate/Zero is good, but Baccano is more unique and more fun to watch

Articalys

I replied to your PM. I think you should go with the more recent Aria DVD releases. The guidebooks are very simple greyscale things and pretty cheap. The only standout thing is the artboxes and they are just chipboard.

I actually found an unboxing video that shows off some parts of the guidebook from the first Aria set. www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxv2xS1_-M#t=7m07s

I am happy with just owning the liteboxes for now. Wouldn't mind owning Aria the Box, a 3-disc music set, but that's far OOP.
I see, thanks to both of you.

Clov

Baccano was such a fun ride. Such strange and wonderful characters in that anime. I was going to grab the Blu-Ray from Aniplex, but it sold out before I had the chance. It was only an upscale anyway (strange as it is), so I'll settle for the DVD version eventually.

Joe Molotov

Not enough exclamation points, I'll hold out for the next version.

Fate/Zero S2 12 [END]
Wow...

Where do I start?

So for a split second when it started to roll the ED I thought it was actually over and I was genuinely starting to get upset. It then pulled back and went into like a
10 minute epilogue
. Which it really needed. So much happened in it. So
Kerry survives as does Waver and Kirei
. That's cool. Although it was quite sad to hear that
Kiritsugu can never see Ilya again
. And
Rins mom is alive
? Holy crap! Talk about a twist
although she's insane now and the situation was quite tragic for Rin
. For a little while earlier in the episode, I thought
Kariya was successful in getting Rin and Sakura back together but then mom appeared and I knew something went horribly wrong and wouldn't you know it SAKURA KILLS HIM
! Like holy crap man.

And we have
Archer who is now actually reincarnated
? I am a little fuzzy on that one.

Then we have
Saber in God knows where (flashback maybe?) just sulking
. Not quite the ending I was expecting for her. Not gonna lie I choked up a little when we hear
Shirley asking the question once again what Kerry wants to be when he gets older and the show closes with "I.... want to be a hero"

Great show. Beginning was a bit slow but the second season really pulled it all together very well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to all who recommended it.

Did you find Kirtisugu much more likable after he finally received some development?

I have always maintained that I liked the character Kiritsugu and found him fascinating. That doesn't change the fact that from episode 1 to the tail end of episode 25 he was a terrible/bad person or an anti-hero. He's still cool, interesting and most importantly a badass.

Hattori

Banned
It's coming out in the fall!

Who/what would you sacrifice to save the world?
My wife and daughter, that's who! Also be sure to kill them as brutally as possible.

Do not doubt our savior Kiritsugu!

What's funny is that not only did episode 19 air on Mother's Day but this episode aired on Father's Day (if I have my dates right).

Totally worth it.

You were all just waiting for that reaction huh? That episode just completely messed with me.

Edit: So......... just wait for ufotables version of Fate/Stay Night right?

mankoto

Thinking about Captain Earth. Is it any good? Been on my mind for a while.

Hitsugi no Chaika 09
More world building which is nice. I'm honestly surprised they chose now to talk about Hasumin. I'm not sure when it was put in the Light Novles, but it was brought up much, much earlier in the manga adaption. I thought they would have just omitted it altogether.

No Game No Life 09
I expected an edited OP, but that's okay. The episode was alright. Can't wait until next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom