• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent teaser !
Binbougami ga 12

Good Momiji is scary.
Ranmaru continues to be best girl.

Binbougami Ga 13 -END-
And so it ends.
NADESIKO TALKED!
The fake S2 teaser was cruel.
Binbogami Ga usage of anime/manga references was so well done.

Fake S2 trailer is just .... cruel.
Cruel is the right word. At least the manga ended properly.
What a massive retcon. They were supposed to be so scrubby it wasn't even worth having an episode dedicated to the battle!

I saw a tank drifting on mud.. it's going to be awesome :)

Ping Pong 09

I'm liking Akuma's new haircut.
I think that Peco will win all this instead of Smile, and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that
Smile will throw the final match to Peco because of his leg like Coach did.

Ping Pong 09

I'm liking Akuma's new haircut.
I think that Peco will win all this instead of Smile, and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that
Smile will throw the final match to Peco because of his leg like Coach did.

I feel like that's too obvious, since they've practically put a huge flashing neon sign saying
LOOK AT PECO'S KNEE!!!

So obvious that it would be kind of lame.

Oh and Hyouka is in the title. How did that series end of selling in Japan?

Midonin

This Week in Puchimas

Takane, Ami and Mami are an unstoppable trio.

Inugami & Nekoyama 09

An argument about cat hair turns into a hairball that gets stuck in everyone's throats. Even when arguing, these two are totally into each other.

n1mbsqc.jpg
na4lmsyj.jpg
n2p2skn.jpg
n399s5t.jpg

Naruto Shippuden 364

11/10 episode.

Might as well stop the anime now since it won't get any better than this.

Death scenes were handled extremely well. Only wish Kishi had actually developed the characters for me to actually care.

Sword Art Online - 4

JWuHy9j.jpg

Yes, clearly helping somebody who reminds you of your sister who you met in an online MMO is the perfect way to make amends to your real sister (oh sorry, COUSIN) in the real world.

I thought this show doesn't turn into a harem until later on!

This show certainly seems to be starting a harem now! I mean I was just introduced to another girl who befriended the main character and spent the entire dang episode with him.

How much longer do I have to wait before Mr. One-Note Black Swordsman finally picks Asuna as his waifu?

Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9:

This episode sadly is a step down from the excellence we have been experiencing as the Sanada-Tsukimoto encounter was lacking in drive and tension as Smile is really becoming a Boring Invincible Hero as well as looking flat and one note next to, well, everybody really but especially the Kaio Academy members who in spite of their domination and prowess actually come across as human and three dimensional with actual goals, hope and dreams and thus far more interesting then the blank slate that is Tsukimoto.

Tsukimoto is like the protagonist from Albert Camus' The Stanger. I'm interested to see what happens with him, because he has no hopes or dreams and seems to have some purposeless existence. He's super moe.

BEST OP (music+animation) this season:

1. Selector Infected WIXOSS
2. The Kawai Complex Guide to Hostels and Manors
3. can't think of anymore more...maybe No Game No Life or Magic High?

EDITED!!

Forgot Brynhildr!!!

2. Brynhildr in the Darkness
3. The Kawai Complex Guide to Hostels and Manors.

Midonin

selector infected WIXOSS 10

So there's some girl called Mayu at the center of this. Was she the first Lrig? The first selector? For every question that's answered, several more pop up. Iona calling everyone out to that event is definitely the endgame for something. A bit of a low-key episode, but the atmosphere this series has still continues to intrigue me.

As for my thoughts on the Sailor Moon trailer, Kenji Nojima as Tuxedo and Ryou Hirohashi as Luna are okay with me. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Crap! Forgot Brynhildr!

REVISED:

Dresden

EDITED!!

Forgot Brynhildr!!!

Ping Pong, man.

cajunator

Banned
Eh... not feeling it visually. I might end up sticking with my original plan of watching the original re-dub when that releases (regardless whether or not it is on Toonami).

well its hard to beat the original. Especially if its one of the very lynchpins of anime.

Hey folks, I've stuck around the anime threads a bit but never offered any big posts about shows, figured I'd throw something in just having gotten through Angel Beats.

Angel Beats [Full Series]

Got recommended this series by a friend after watching Clannad (which is a whole other deal entirely). Thought the premise was really interesting and it wasn't super long, so I decided to go and check it out.

The premise is definitely really cool, and lets the show be about what is more or less high school life while A) Having badass fight scenes and B) Actually deal with serious topics of death, loss, and moving on. On top of that, they actually make pretty good use of the premise too. The characters are pretty likable, most of them are fairly deep, and the show injects just enough darkness into their stories to have some real power behind their decision to "Fight god".

The other thing besides the premise is how the show is legitimately sad sometimes, and not in a way that feels manipulative. the back stories are all relatable and nothing is too ridiculous to not be able to empathize with. Otanashi's flashback of the train tunnel is impeccably well done, and there isn't a bit of the supernatural or forced emotion to try and drive home the gravity or power of that whole sequence.

The character relationships weren't half bad either. Otanashi's friendships with Yuri, Hinata, and Tachibana felt fairly organic, as did Yuri's sense of care for her class, and the general sense of camaraderie between the SSS members too. It made the final graduation all the more somber but helped to drive home that it was a happy goodbye.
The only main issue I had with the character relationships was that I felt Otanashi and Tachibana weren't as portrayed to be as close as their last few scenes made it out to be.

To round out the issues I had, I also felt that while the second to last episode's big bad gave a proper method to finalize an end to the hostilities, the whole reasoning behind shadows was explained in a disjointed way and felt a tiny bit tacked on, though in the grand scheme of things it helped the story get to the events of the last episode, so I can more or less forgive it for that.

All in all, the show was a short, well done story about having unfair circumstances and being able to make peace with them, on top of understanding that sometimes change needs to happen, even at the expense of having to say goodbye to people you care about. I thought it was a pretty great show.

Hey folks, I've stuck around the anime threads a bit but never offered any big posts about shows, figured I'd throw something in just having gotten through Angel Beats.

Angel Beats [Full Series]

All in all, the show was a short, well done story about having unfair circumstances and being able to make peace with them, on top of understanding that sometimes change needs to happen, even at the expense of having to say goodbye to people you care about. I thought it was a pretty great show.

Angel Beats is always in my top anime ever, its such a well written emotional story. I return to it every year.

Yeah, I still don't like those character designs. Also, how many years have they been working on this and that's all the animation they have to show? How much time have people spent sitting around arguing over this series before they made it?

Same. They need to update the character designs because she just looks weird now.

Syrinx

I wasn't sure if I liked Linda in Bob's Burgers, but then she lead the pre-natal yoga demonstration in the empty pool for their synchronized swimming demonstration and I was laughing my ass off.

Respect +100.

cajunator

Banned
I wasn't sure if I liked Linda in Bob's Burgers, but then she lead the pre-natal yoga demonstration in the empty pool for their synchronized swimming demonstration and I was laughing my ass off.

Respect +100.

The name Linda has been shit to me for some reason lately.

Jex

Same. They need to update the character designs because she just looks weird now.

I mean I'm sure they're set in stone at this point but it's just rather disappointing how big this property is. I'd be happier with a more radical take on those some basic concepts but this just looks...off, like a 3rd world rip-off of Sailor Moon characters.

Mature

I mean I'm sure they're set in stone at this point but it's just rather disappointing how big this property is. I'd be happier with a more radical take on those some basic concepts but this just looks...off, like a 3rd world rip-off of Sailor Moon characters.
That's not the first time I've heard it described like that, and I agree. I'm not a huge Sailor Moon fan or anything, but I do feel for the people who are. Hopefully outside of the superficial problems it seems to have, It ends up being a good show in it's own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom