• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I just watched the two PV's from ufotable's Fate/stay night now that I finished Fate/Zero. They try to make Sakura look all cute
but she's the freakin spawn of Satan! She is dead on the inside

y5ESEg6l.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Do you know somebody named Linda that you hate?

Eheheheee.
Golden Time

I mean I'm sure they're set in stone at this point but it's just rather disappointing how big this property is. I'd be happier with a more radical take on those some basic concepts but this just looks...off, like a 3rd world rip-off of Sailor Moon characters.

No see its genius. This way when they inevitably outsource there wont be a drop in quality!

Nananananananananana 09

Maybe I'm stupid but this show has too many goddamn characters. There was an entire conversation where I DIDN'T KNOW WHO THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT. This is worse then Soma. They should just use descriptors of peoples attributes. Like trap maid or guy with two strands of hair in front of his forehead.
Speaking of that, guy with two strands of hair in front of his forehead is cool. He should be the MC.
Also Nanananananana just stays at home and plays VN's. That's pretty cool too, in a way.

You know who's NOT cool?
6f72f21ed2.jpg

This clown of a villain. Let's take a look at his outfit.
-Trenchcoat
-Belts on his trenchcoat
-Black Vest
-Dogtags
-Collar
-Fingerless gloves
-Long, black hair.
-Black pants
-Military boots. With belts.
And he can do magic shit but RUNS AWAY WHEN THE COPS ARE CALLED. WOW. HOW THREATENING.

At least there was Tensai.
5f53da4765.jpg

kiaaa

Nanana's Buried Treasure 9

Anyone have any guesses on the real story behind Nanana being a "ghost"?

Something seems really off about it and she just disappears like she was never there at the end. I wonder if someone found the treasure she didn't want Juugo to use and it made her disappear? Or maybe it was maintaining her presence in the world?

idk -_-?

CorvoSol

I won't permit anyone speaking ill of Gyan.

I liked the Gyan before Build Fighters brought it back. Love the weird knight feeling it has, even if M'quve is an unworthy pilot for it. Gyan is also way cooler than the stupid Zeong that Char pilots at the end of the series.

Getter Robo G 31

In case you didn't already know that Ryoma Nagare is probably one of the most badass Mecha protagonists of all time, his dad is a Kendo master and Ryoma himself ain't half bad! How good is he? HE FIGHTS LIKE THREE DUELS AGAINST DEMON SWORDSMEN IN THIS EPISODE. After the Demons hurt his pops (with whom he is not close, because only Benkei and Michiru are close to their dads) Ryoma straight up rampages across Tokyo with a sword. Mind you, the Getter's chief melee weapon is an axe, not a sword (as opposed to the Mazinger and Gundam, who both use swords as their primary melee weapons), so we can pretty much conclude here that Ryoma is fully capable of kicking ass with any kind of weapon.

Of course if you didn't know that Ryoma Nagare was a total badass yet, you just haven't been paying enough attention. Ryoma is so badass.

cnet128

Banned
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka? 9

In this episode, Chino is very particular about being a tree. And for some reason I can't quite articulate, that's awesome.

Of course if you didn't know that Ryoma Nagare was a total badass yet, you just haven't been paying enough attention. Ryoma is so badass.

He's even more badass in the OVA. And I watched that without any Getter Robo knowledge!

Balls I forgot how innocent Hunter x Hunter used to be. Not to say the show is edgy as shiiiiiiit mind you.

Innocent? The eleventh (or twelfth, IIRC) episode has
Killua ripping a mass-murderer's heart out!
Yeah it was mostly positive and fun adventure, but the signs were still clearly there. It just needed a lot more time to develop out, and that's what made it so good later on!

If what Killua did is the most grimdark thing in anime then I guess Kiritsugu transcended everything. Motherfucker
killed his theoretical wife and daughter

That shit is like Batmanx1000

Hey folks, I've stuck around the anime threads a bit but never offered any big posts about shows, figured I'd throw something in just having gotten through Angel Beats.

Angel Beats [Full Series]

Got recommended this series by a friend after watching Clannad (which is a whole other deal entirely). Thought the premise was really interesting and it wasn't super long, so I decided to go and check it out.

The premise is definitely really cool, and lets the show be about what is more or less high school life while A) Having badass fight scenes and B) Actually deal with serious topics of death, loss, and moving on. On top of that, they actually make pretty good use of the premise too. The characters are pretty likable, most of them are fairly deep, and the show injects just enough darkness into their stories to have some real power behind their decision to "Fight god".

The other thing besides the premise is how the show is legitimately sad sometimes, and not in a way that feels manipulative. the back stories are all relatable and nothing is too ridiculous to not be able to empathize with. Otanashi's flashback of the train tunnel is impeccably well done, and there isn't a bit of the supernatural or forced emotion to try and drive home the gravity or power of that whole sequence.

The character relationships weren't half bad either. Otanashi's friendships with Yuri, Hinata, and Tachibana felt fairly organic, as did Yuri's sense of care for her class, and the general sense of camaraderie between the SSS members too. It made the final graduation all the more somber but helped to drive home that it was a happy goodbye.
The only main issue I had with the character relationships was that I felt Otanashi and Tachibana weren't as portrayed to be as close as their last few scenes made it out to be.

To round out the issues I had, I also felt that while the second to last episode's big bad gave a proper method to finalize an end to the hostilities, the whole reasoning behind shadows was explained in a disjointed way and felt a tiny bit tacked on, though in the grand scheme of things it helped the story get to the events of the last episode, so I can more or less forgive it for that.

All in all, the show was a short, well done story about having unfair circumstances and being able to make peace with them, on top of understanding that sometimes change needs to happen, even at the expense of having to say goodbye to people you care about. I thought it was a pretty great show.

Angel Beats is always in my top anime ever, its such a well written emotional story. I return to it every year.

You guys. :,)

Angel Beats is amazing. Glad you guys also love it. Slowly expanding this Key Community here. >:)

Hey folks, I've stuck around the anime threads a bit but never offered any big posts about shows, figured I'd throw something in just having gotten through Angel Beats.

Angel Beats [Full Series]

Got recommended this series by a friend after watching Clannad (which is a whole other deal entirely). Thought the premise was really interesting and it wasn't super long, so I decided to go and check it out.

Hey there. What did you think of Clannad?

Superflat

T'was a fun show. It threw you in head-first into the nonsensical school world, but by the end I was pretty engrossed in the world and what was going on.

The
last-second ending twist
was jarring to say the least, but I still liked it.

jman2050

Angel Beats is a bad show but if you like it, whatever.

I'm just putting that out there now before Brandy has a chance to do his thing.

CorvoSol

He's even more badass in the OVA. And I watched that without any Getter Robo knowledge!

My hype is going to be incoherent when I finally do get to Mazinkaiser and Getter Armageddon.

Zeta Gundam 31

I kind of feel like Kamille is wrong in this episode. I think Sarah DOES belong with the Titans. I mean, she's not being manipulated or forced into stuff like some girls in Gundam are. Hell, there isn't even an element of "Paptimus is using his magic space wizard dick to make her do it" like there is with Reccoa. For all I can tell, Sarah genuinely wants to be a Titan, and unlike Emma, Sarah knows what that means.

I mean shit, she willingly planted a time bomb inside the fuel pipes of Von Braun City today. That bomb appears to have destroyed the city. Disregard the fact that Von Braun is a vital point of commerce on the moon, and that Armstrong Park is one of the most significant historical sites in the post-Earthbound history of man, and that she was completely okay with destroying those, this was a city full of people who, were it not for Kamille's intervention, would be dead now. That blood would've been on her hands.

I can't see how Sarah isn't a monster at this point. This isn't a matter of a man manipulating a woman. Sarah's just as evil as the rest of the Titans.

cnet128

Banned
Ping Pong 9

Well, it finally happened. The show managed to have an episode that was boring despite tons of actual ping-pong playing.

Peco's attitude at the end was nice as usual though. Next episode will probably be more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom