• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

This is a few days old, but apparently Funimation is going to be adding some Ping Pong T-Shirts based on a vote to their store. If they're actually adding merchandise from it to their store, it might be doing well streaming. Hopefully that's a good sign for a possible Blu-Ray release.
Took a sec to track it down, but here it is. There's five Ping Pong designs up for vote, nine for Dragonar, a whopping 20 for SEN (though some of those are just color variations, including one Watchmen parody) -- but of course what really matters most is the Date a Live shirts. One for the key visual, one with just the logo, and then "Team _____" shirts for six of the girls: Tohka (currently the leader at 115 likes), Kurumi (56), Yoshinon (30), Yuzuru (24), Kaguya (19), and Miku (15).

Only the top three for each series make it in, and the other two DAL shirts have at least 90 votes each, so it looks like AHB has some campaigning to do.
10380915_10152160218238481_4697986879256200267_n.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Eureka Seven AO Rewatch

Fuck this show. Still a dumb show even now. I rewatched it because I thought it would make it better but nope. I don't know why I even thought this was the case. I'm dumb. dumb dumb dumb.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 9

EQPY3SX.gif

Di-Did that seriously just happen?

Like they literally just killed Jonathan Joestar?

Wow. That's...freaking painful. Guy just couldn't get his hands on a happy life no matter how hard he tried. Dio always had to be there to screw it up somehow. He spent almost his entire life fighting Dio and died doing so.

Damn. Just....damn.

So...that ends Part 1: Phantom Blood. Part 2 is next and it's apparently the best thing in like, all of Jojo, and from what I've heard it's practically a staple of Shounen anime. So yeah, I hope that it lives up to the hype for me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 9

EQPY3SX.gif

Di-Did that seriously just happen?

Like they literally just killed Jonathan Joestar?

Wow. That's...freaking painful. Guy just couldn't get his hands on a happy life no matter how hard he tried. Dio always had to be there to screw it up somehow. He spent almost his entire life fighting Dio and died doing so.

Damn. Just....damn.

So...that ends Part 1: Phantom Blood. Part 2 is next and it's apparently the best thing in like, all of Jojo, and from what I've heard it's practically a staple of Shounen anime. So yeah, I hope that it lives up to the hype for me.

welcome to the jojo life

Clov

If you liked Phantom Blood, you'll also probably like Battle Tendency. It's both really exciting and really funny, and it has the best Jojo from what I've watched so far.

Worst Jojo, he deserved to die as punishment :p

PUNISHMENT?!? What'd he do to deserve that kind of fate man? Dying on an exploding boat with your worst enemy on your freaking honeymoon!

If you liked Phantom Blood, you'll also probably like Battle Tendency. It's both really exciting and really funny, and it has the best Jojo from what I've watched so far.

I sure hope so. I know little of what goes on in it, so I hope I get some surprises.

Soma

Seasonal ranking:

Ping Pong > JoJo > Mushishi > Chaika

Ping Pong just keeps impressing me with its fantastic direction and character drama. The source material from Matsumoto is already quite strong yet somehow Yuasa is managing to lift it up even higher. I might be enjoying Stardust Crusaders more than Battle Tendency already at this point and Chaika has been a fun and pleasant surprise.

I kinda dropped the ball on everything else. Captain Earth seems like a decent anime to watch but I also feel like I've seen the same scenario countless times without having a whole lot to make itself stand out. Same goes for Kawaisou though with the added caveat that the best girl (Mayumi) is destined to be ignored. I'm also already reading the manga for One Week Friends and Sidonia. While the former is a solid adaption I'm kinda not invested in it enough to keep watching it week to week when I can just read through a chapter in minutes and just go "yeah ok that was cute" and move on. Sidonia's adaption on the other hand is just depressing from a visual standpoint when the artwork is pretty much the best thing that the manga has going for it.

Took a sec to track it down, but here it is. There's five Ping Pong designs up for vote, nine for Dragonar, a whopping 20 for SEN (though some of those are just color variations, including one Watchmen parody) -- but of course what really matters most is the Date a Live shirts. One for the key visual, one with just the logo, and then "Team _____" shirts for six of the girls: Tohka (currently the leader at 115 likes), Kurumi (56), Yoshinon (30), Yuzuru (24), Kaguya (19), and Miku (15).

Only the top three for each series make it in, and the other two DAL shirts have at least 90 votes each, so it looks like AHB has some campaigning to do.
No matter how many times I refresh that page, it still shows Tohka and even the plain DAL2 logo ahead of Kurumi. I don't get it. What am I missing here? That obviously can't be how people have voted. Maybe Funimation have already decided on the designs and the poll is just a sham to raise awareness. Maybe some deranged Tohka fan's made 100 accounts to spam likes for her. Or maybe e̴̩̮̜̖v͉̭ḙ̠̹̝ͅr͕̜̕ͅy̻o͉͖̬̠̮͈͇n̶͖̬̝é̱̗̳ ̗̼sh̝͓̤̬o̞u̩͖̪͚l̼̪͜d̶̟̬͍̙͕ ̡͇j̝͓̳̝̯̕us̠̯͇̩t͔̦͓ͅ ̟͇̜̫̰͓d̺̭̝̼͓͚̪͘i͓̱̱̬͇̝̠e̯̯̯̠̬ͅ

[rationalisation] Well, if they're using her key visual art for the shirt I can't say I'm that enthused about it anyway. The only characters who looked particularly good in that were the Yamais. Plus I already have a shirt I really like of her. [/rationalisation]

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm also already reading the manga for One Week Friends and Sidonia. While the former is a solid adaption I'm kinda not invested in it enough to keep watching it week to week when I can just read through a chapter in minutes and just go "yeah ok that was cute" and move on.
So cute.

cnet128

Banned
Baby Steps 10

Go Ei-chan go! This is the best sports show.

Can't really find much to actually comment on, but feeling totally engrossed in this match. Next episode now, please.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nothing like watching Forrest Gump to wash out the taste of bad anime.
Bubbbbaaaa. :(

Brynhillllldr
cvY2Kwql.jpg

CR subber back with the trolling. lol

Kawaisou
QqvNzhtl.jpg

Seriously. Every single girl on this show is better than Book Girl. It's ridiculous. I guess having a strong supporting cast is enough to save the most boring romance in the universe, but why can't the two leads of an anime romcom actually be interesting themselves?

Link Man

Banned
One Week Friends 10

This turned into a Coke commercial.

ib2C5nWbP4cN7t.jpg

Oh come the fuck on!

Why is Saki the best character?

Oh god damn it, planting more doubt in Hase's mind? I'm starting to dislike this.

Finally, we see some resolve from him!

~~~

These past few episodes have really ruined my opinion of the show a bit. Only two more episodes to go, otherwise I would probably drop it here.

Dresden

Kawaisou
QqvNzhtl.jpg

Seriously. Every single girl on this show is better than Book Girl. It's ridiculous. I guess having a strong supporting cast is enough to save the most boring romance in the universe, but why can't the two leads of an anime romcom actually be interesting themselves?

'best girl never wins' is now 'only worst girl wins.'

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why you watch bad movie then?
I will say one thing - if nothing else, if nothing else, it's probably has one of the greatest soundtracks in the history of American film by virtue of including every single major American song from the 50s onwards. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
'best girl never wins' is now 'only worst girl wins.'
It's like these writers are afraid that if they give the "main girl" any kind of personality, they'll alienate some douchebag fanboy faction and lose readers.

"If she's a tsundere, then 30.4% of readers will hate me. But if she's a kuudere, then 28.64% of readers will hate me. What if I give her no personality whatsoever and let the reader project whatever they want onto her!"

Dresden

It's like these writers are afraid that if they give the "main girl" any kind of personality, they'll alienate some douchebag fanboy faction and lose readers.

"If she's a tsundere, then 30.4% of readers will hate me. But if she's a kuudere, then 28.64% of readers will hate me. What if I give her no personality whatsoever and let the reader project whatever they want onto her!"

'studies show that 92.4% of readers prefer blushing waifus to those who do not blush'

jgminto

Baby Steps 10

These CG monstrosities must be the ugliest thing this season and they're constantly there in the background too. Whoever thought that was a good idea is crazy. I can't say I was very interested in the match this episode and I don't know why they felt the need to explain the rules of tennis again now. Everyone watching should already know the basic rules of tennis. I hope they're not going to go into the back story of every seed player when he faces them. I know they will but I really don't care. I just want to see Ei-chan's journey through tennis.

cnet128

Banned
Kawaisou

Slander and lies. It's certainly true that the show has a great supporting cast all round, but Ricchan is still clearly best girl and obviously the correct choice as romantic interest.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 10

Fuuuuuuuuuck.
I had a strong feeling since last week that Nanami was doomed, but I wanted it so badly to be wrong. Screw the author for wanton cruelty to awesome fictional characters =/

Crude conversations courtesy of Kazumi were entertaining as usual. The
indirect kiss
scene was pretty sweet. The beach scene was...beach scene-y. And the new witch seems like a real piece of work. Looking forward to finding out what kind of horrors she's going to bring >.>

Soul Eater NOT! - 08

Don't get me wrong, Anya is cool as hell and I love her to pieces, but I feel like I'm starting to favor Meme x Tsugumi more than Anya x Tsugumi. Her issue of forgetting shit aside, she has that warm caring nature and tends to be the first one to respond to Tsugumi's troubles and overall it makes their pairing feel more natural and believable.

Meme doesn't even have a fucking character or any connection to Tsugumi at all, she's the worst character in the series adding nothing useful or anything funny. Anya and Tsugumi work in that they even each other out and feel like a weapon and meister pair you could see in the series. They competent each other well and they could help each other grow not only as weapon and meister but as people.

Articalys

Kawaisou

Frankly that's the reason I never picked up the show.
Baby Steps 10

These CG monstrosities must be the ugliest thing this season and they're constantly there in the background too. Whoever thought that was a good idea is crazy.
Ah good, someone else noticed those too. So it wasn't just my imagination.
Why was this edited? Whatever. Keep the belief up!
Decided in the end it was too gaming-related.

Well god damn smackable walrus nuts, I just started Brynhildr and..

OH GOD.

OP OF THE GENERATION. IT'S LIKE. SO HILARIOUSLY FUCKING BAD IT'S GOOD. I'M DYING. THANK YOU JESUS. YOU HAVE GIVEN ME THE GREATEST GIFT EVER.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Love Live S2 - 06-08

FqcQLjK.png
v0ser6U.png

Been waiting for this for sooooooooo long!

Easily one of the best episodes out of the entire series. It's about time they had an ep focused on the character who was instrumental in getting the group together and setting them on the path to chase after their dreams. Not gonna lie, I was starting to freak out when
Nozomi suggested that they should try to work on a love song for their Love Live performance. I began to brace myself for some bullshit story of her meeting some loser guy and instantly falling for him. Thankfully that wasn't the case! Episode also delivered on some much needed Eli x Nozomi fluff, raising their OTP level near that of the ever popular Maki x Nico.

Brynhildlldllrlrllr 10

This show deserves a spot in the list, alongside Another if that's not there. It's the so bad it's good writing. It wants to be grimdark, but then they all go to the beach and have boob adventures. And what the fuck was with that Indirect Kiss song?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA GOD. Onii-sama isn't the only happiness I get per week.

cnet128

Banned
Well god damn smackable walrus nuts, I just started Brynhildr and..

OH GOD.

OP OF THE GENERATION. IT'S LIKE. SO HILARIOUSLY FUCKING BAD IT'S GOOD. I'M DYING. THANK YOU JESUS. YOU HAVE GIVEN ME THE GREATEST GIFT EVER.

I quite enjoy the new OP, it's very...Brynhildr...but I have to say I liked the first one better and wish they had just stuck with it. Both the music and the visuals just had more of a unique flavour to them. This new one is crazy and over the top but doesn't feel like it's doing anything particularly interesting.

...also it cuts out weirdly at the end =/

Love Live! S2 10

Silly Honoka, not being able to come up with an answer on the spot. Anyone can see that
the answer to the question "why did μ's beat A-Rise?" is "because we had MOTHERFUCKING SNOW HALATION, BITCHES".

A nice episode all around, with some lovely seasonal events and costumes. Miko Nico (hee hee, that rhymes) isn't a combination I would have expected, but worked surprisingly well. I want to eat mochi now, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom