• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Week Friends - 10

Moar drama. Hase made a dumb move in
explaining Kaori's problem to the new guy as we see when the new guy rebuttals and starts making fun of Hase, yeah douche new guy.
Atleast Hase shown some resolved during that little scrap.

Otherwise I'm not entirely sure if
Shogo likes Saki
or not, due to the fact we've been focusing on Hase and Kaori alot.

Superflat

Well god damn smackable walrus nuts, I just started Brynhildr and..

OH GOD.

OP OF THE GENERATION. IT'S LIKE. SO HILARIOUSLY FUCKING BAD IT'S GOOD. I'M DYING. THANK YOU JESUS. YOU HAVE GIVEN ME THE GREATEST GIFT EVER.

Both of Brynhildr's OPs are so awkward and shittily made, it's amazing how they reached parity with completely different songs.

Both of Brynhildr's OPs are so awkward and shittily made, it's amazing how they reached parity with completely different songs.

It feels like whoever they hired just felt like he HAD to use these two shitty songs, but the animator didn't get the memo and thought they were going to use some shitty idol/jpop song, and the clash of images with song is just the best thing ever

jman2050

I swear I thought the first OP to Brynhildr was some one-off thing in the first episode because they hadn't finished the real OP yet or something.

Midonin

To Heart 2 07-10 to Yuma

The UFO episode was mildly culty, but the effect is lessened in knowing that aliens among us has been one of the running elements of this show since its inception. Ilfa's not quite as lovable as Multi, but I do appreciate seeing elements from the first series continue their way into the slightly further ahead present of TH2. I do like it when a series has twins, and both Sango and Ruri have their strong points, but I wouldn't count any of them as among my favorite girls of the series. Ruri's doting on her sister can go a bit far at times, but she's opening up. I hope the rest of the series has more episodes like 7. Taking the time to establish all these characters is great, but now they need to bounce off each other.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Love Live! (Season 2) - 09

Really enjoyable episode. I figured
they would make it through the blizzard but part of me was still on edge with the fear of them getting screwed for the second time.

New song was really good too

Syrinx

Non Non Biyori 6

Renge is definitely the most entertaining character in this show. And Hotaru owes her for giving her an excuse to have those plushies of Konari. Now's the perfect time for Hotaru to reevaluate her life and not do that anymore.

Natsumi's good except for the part where she blames everything on something else. The test don't give a fuck that it's too hard for you, you either do that shit or you fail. It's not going to make itself easier for your stupid ass.

cnet128

Banned
Isshuukan Friends 10

New guy really is an asshole. Seriously, who the hell
responds to the revelation that Kaori has legitimate issues with her memory by mean-spiritedly trying to cast doubt on her friendship with Hase?
Someone needs to put this guy in his place.

It's pretty painful to see this distance opening up between Hase and Kaori again, but at the same time it's pretty heartening to see them doing their best to work through it together despite the awkwardness they're both feeling.

Also Saki is amazing and a source of great happiness even when she's being serious. Truly best girl.

Mokoi

Banned
Love Live (S2) episode 10

Maki being embrassed about wearing a yukata was cute.

14191559769_29bbc49969_z.jpg

Eli's sister really has thing for Umi. She has the potential to become a hardcore yandere soon.

14191575988_96438f9d6f_z.jpg

It seems like the more time passes by in this thread there more I start to realize that the number of :DTL and :SDBurton comrades in arms is growing.

I'm afraid I'll end up being caught in the middle of an unspeakable war.

Narag

It seems like the more time passes by in this thread there more I start to realize that the number of :DTL and :SDBurton comrades in arms is growing.

I'm afraid I'll end up being caught in the middle of an unspeakable war.

You'll end up shipped with one side or the other and will just have to live with that.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 10

What the hell is Valkyria doing out already? They're skipping Skaldi? New OP is terrible, but I was surprised to see Hatsuna there. Didn't think they'd make it to her considering there's only 13 episodes. But if they're skipping Skaldi and I assume Freya too then I guess it makes sense. What sucks is they're basically going to be caught up with the manga when this ends at Ep 13.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Upon reflection, there's one big thing in Hunter x Hunter's Heaven's Arena arc that bothers me. Nen is depicted as an extremely well-guarded secret martial arts technique that only an elite few worldwide are aware of, but this seems inconsistent with the fact that battles between Nen users are routinely broadcast as a popular sporting event to a worldwide audience and the intricacies of combatants' skills openly discussed amongst each other in front of live attendees in earshot. It's remarked upon that Nen skills simply appear to be "magic" to the uninitiated, but its continued secrecy relies upon potentially tens of millions of people monolithically accepting that something they routinely see used by dozens of martial artists simply has no logical explanation. I'm not really asking anyone to seriously justify how Nen is introduced or anything, but I don't really feel like a highly-publicized media event, especially in a world with media saturation and technology enabling decentralized, anonymous dissemination of information essentially analogous our own, was the best locale for trying to convincingly establish its supposed secrecy.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Black Bullet Episode 5
This dude just had a harem grow every min with each girl introduced in just this one episode, I am disappointed it ended up turning into one, atleast its fun while doing so.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Upon reflection, there's one big thing in Hunter x Hunter's Heaven's Arena arc that bothers me. Nen is depicted as an extremely well-guarded secret martial arts technique that only an elite few worldwide are aware of, but this seems inconsistent with the fact that battles between Nen users are routinely broadcast as a popular sporting event to a worldwide audience and the intricacies of combatants' skills openly discussed amongst each other in front of live attendees in earshot. It's remarked upon that Nen skills simply appear to be "magic" to the uninitiated, but its continued secrecy relies upon potentially tens of millions of people monolithically accepting that something they routinely see used by dozens of martial artists simply has no logical explanation. I'm not really asking anyone to seriously justify how Nen is introduced or anything, but I don't really feel like a highly-publicized media event, especially in a world with media saturation and technology enabling decentralized, anonymous dissemination of information essentially analogous our own, was the best locale for trying to convincingly establish its supposed secrecy.

I dont think they ever said nen was some well guarded secret martial arts, just a very rare one, and one that every single person or even living thing is capable of but only a few are able to really use it, whether theyre aware that they're using it or not, and its not like a dozen, its like of a population of say like 7 billion, only a couple million are even aware that it exists.

Is the Order a Rabbit? 2

Perhaps it's because I'm not a coffee drinker, but I'm finding this rather dull. It's decently well-produced and all, but the characters simply don't have the flair to carry the show. I do like the Gintama-esque title for episode 3 though: "Do You Remember the Day You First Gor Drunk? You Tried to Light a Campfire in Your Own Home, Didn't You?"

Articalys

Now I know that /a/ is not exactly a place for fair and balanced information when it comes to simulcasts, but apparently Crunchyroll is making several mistranslations per episode on Haikyuu? I have noticed some smaller grammatical typos at least.

Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailblazer - the rest of it

What happened here.

Like, I-I honestly cannot believe how much of a mess this movie is. Gundam 00 Season 1 was good, almost great in my opinion.

Season 2 was bad, but it had quite a few things I was able to enjoy from it.

The movie? Garbage.

Want to know what the plot of this movie is? So the Hell would I! But apparently the movie has a hard time figuring that out as well. I don't know how it did it, but AOTB was somehow able to turn its show about mecha warfare into a freaking sci-fi horror film. The first half of this movie is about a bunch of metal things that appear on Earth and
take the form of Ribbons Almark for some reason and possess cars and shit.

Then humanity fights them in space, and suddenly nothing is more important than befriending these things to Celestial Being. Dwuh?!? Okay, I know somewhere through Quantum Brainwaves and crap they discovered that these things we're....sentient. But they're a bunch of woobily wobbily metal things guys! They have no personality or emotions (none that we see anyway). Hell, they're not even characters of any sort! They're just things that do stuff!

Oh, and speaking of fighting in space, URRRRRRGGGGH these fight scenes are horrible! It's nothing but a bunch of lights and shit being thrown around in space. Poor production values aside, it's mostly the fault of the story. We're not looking at soldiers fighting toe-to-toe in Gundams, we're looking at a bunch of guys in mobile suits attacking metal shit in space!
And since humanity is all united now, everybody is attacking together.

The result is nothing but pure unadulterated space chaos that's just not entertaining to watch.

But do you know what really seals the deal on this piece of shit movie? The ending. It's the final epicentre of stupidity that makes me understand why people call this the worst Gundam product of all time.

So what was the reason why those woobily wobbily metal things were attacking humanity?

Well, after Setsuna recovered from the brain damage the viewer was no doubt also having from watching this, they travelled into the Grief Seed that was the ELS' core, and they learned that their homeworld was apparently dying.

BULL. EFFING. SHIT.

You still feel the need to understand these things because of that?!? This isn't character drama, it's animal instincts! Did humanity try to get the Kaiju to "understand" them in Pacific Rim (and those things had sentience as well, mind you!)? Did humanity try to get the aliens to "understand" them in Gunbuster? No! They attacked, and humanity retaliated.

I get that they're trying to promote the whole "Make love, not war" message by attempting to make us feel sympathy for these things at the last second, but if they wanted to do that they could have made the ELS weak in this movie. Instead, these guys are super-strong and push humanity to its limits. The whole "understanding" motif would become much more, well, understandable if the humans were the stronger ones and could easily wipe these things out. That would be the scenario that would have presented better moral problems at the very least, but it would barely improve anything else in this mess.

Oh, and it gets better. So what does Setsuna do to solve the problem?

His Gundam explodes and a giant flower appears in space. Marina looks up at that flower with a smile, and then the credits roll.

Yeah.

BUT WAIT! IT GETS BETTER! We then get a post-credits scene where we see Aeolia Whatshisname plotting his ultimate plan to grow that flower in space! And Setsuna transformed into the Silver Surfer apparently.

So my Final Verdict of Gundam 00 Awakening of the Trailblazer is:

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Love Live S2 10
It is almost insulting how cheap, bland, and lazy this episode is. We cut from a climax to a time skip, any emotion or tension lost for the outcome to be sloppily spouted off as though it were the most trivial occurence in the world.
Why set up A-RISE in such an involved fashion if the showdown with them is ultimately going to be completely trivialized to the point where we don't even get a snippet of their performance?
Instead of focusing on what could be a climactic moment for the season we get this meandering episode about...the end of the year festival, making mochi, and...catch phrases. Everything this show stands for is completely loathsome, and its disregard for basic storytelling continues to illustrate that the entire series is not only soulless, but also devoid of any merit.

somehow GoT was even worse this week. what a load of garbage to watch back to back.

DAIMIDALER: PRINCE VS. PENGUIN EMPIRE Episode 10 Invoke! Joseph's Symbol

Well the nine minute mark...incredible episode
Shouma turning into the penguin from Hi-ERO (Finally answered where penguins came from, was bafflingly shocking. I didnt think thatd ever happen with him and the scene was so funny when his pants ripped from it and it added the glow too it, lewd.

Rhapsody

Banned
Is the Order a Rabbit? 2

Perhaps it's because I'm not a coffee drinker, but I'm finding this rather dull. It's decently well-produced and all, but the characters simply don't have the flair to carry the show. I do like the Gintama-esque title for episode 3 though: "Do You Remember the Day You First Gor Drunk? You Tried to Light a Campfire in Your Own Home, Didn't You?"

I think the first two episodes for me were ok. Then afterwards I started looking forward to the next episode.
I'd say give it until episode 4 to see if you start enjoying it.

Is the Order a Rabbit? 2

I'm a tea person myself and i'm enjoying this. the coffee aspect of the show is secondary to the situations the characters are in .
More characters will be added in , but if you don't like it in a couple of eps , feel free to drop it.

Brynhildr in the Darkness - 10

I don't even, dat OP... DAT OP. And I actually liked the first OP somewhat... ugh. Otherwise this was a weird episode, we have Nanami's
death scene
and then transition into light hearted beach episode. It's stuff like this that makes me wonder if I should get back into Mahouka..., not Black Bullet though fuck that shit.

Branduil

Jojo: Stardust Crusaders 2

Araki sure is sexist.

At least the girls in JoJo are still treated slightly better than animals!

I do have to admit that I find the exaggerated, over-the-top old-fashioned sexist humor of JoJo a lot more tolerable than the puerile pandering of shows like SAO and Mahouka.

Superflat

Is the Order a Rabbit? 2

It's not a exciting show at all.

But I've been enjoying it a lot because my perfect brand of slice-of-life comedy. Atm this show could sit among my all time faves in the genre like Minami-ke. I personally thought all the characters are really well done, especially Cocoa (and Sharo, who you haven't seen yet).

Not to mention the art is impeccable. It's one of the most consistently well-drawn shows of the season.

The IDOLM@STER 01

I decided to watch this, after the fellow Idolpunchers recommended the show. I know most girls already from Doujinshi, so the introcutions were not a big suprise. So far I like Hibiki and Yayoi the most. I guess, I have a thing for genki girls. Although I dislike the twins they look cute, but are kinda annoying.
But I have to say, I don't like this kind of pseudo documentary approach. I don't feel very engaged by it. But seems like this was just for the first episode, aye?

Prepare to watch the only idol show that matters.

As for the first episode yeah the documentary narrative only exists for the first episode.

At least the girls in JoJo are still treated slightly better than animals!

I do have to admit that I find the exaggerated, over-the-top old-fashioned sexist humor of JoJo a lot more tolerable than the puerile pandering of shows like SAO and Mahouka.

Well, of course. Women may be the weaker creature in Stardust Crusaders, but there's an element of chivalry to the way it treats someone like Holly that's charming.

It's not a exciting show at all.

But I've been enjoying it a lot because my perfect brand of slice-of-life comedy. Atm this show could sit among my all time faves in the genre like Minami-ke. I personally thought all the characters are really well done, especially Cocoa (and Sharo, who you haven't seen yet).

Not to mention the art is impeccable. It's one of the most consistently well-drawn shows of the season.

I found Minami-ke (at least the first season and Tadaima) much more on point with its humor than Is the Order a Rabbit? so far. I don't need it to be exciting; I just need it to be funny or charming enough to sustain my interest, and so far it's not.

Rhapsody

Banned
I found Minami-ke (at least the first season and Tadaima) much more on point with its humor than Is the Order a Rabbit? so far. I don't need it to be exciting; I just need it to be funny or charming enough to sustain my interest, and so far it's not.
In my case, just like Is the Order a Rabbit, it took me a couple episodes to warm up to Minami-ke (and eventually really liked it).
But maybe you liked Minami-ke right off the bat, so it might not be the same for you in Gochiusa.

The harem flag will never break ! - 10

This episode was yet again very enjoyable thanks to the cast that did their best to keep things intresting despite their established personalities.

Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20o%20Oraretara%20-%2010.jpg

The most balanced beauty contest since ...since who knows ?

Nanami speech nailed it ! There is nothing more to be said , and if nothing is solved it's much better than before
This show proves that harem anime shows are 800 % better when there is no fighting within the harem.

jman2050

In my case, just like Is the Order a Rabbit, it took me a couple episodes to warm up to Minami-ke (and eventually really liked it).
But maybe you liked Minami-ke right off the bat, so it might not be the same for you in Gochiusa.

Minami-ke had an amazing first episode. In fact I found it notable for being hilarious right out of the gate and leaving a very lasting favorable first impression, which I think helped when the material wasn't quite as strong. Stuff like Nichibros and Love Lab were also like this.

Branduil

Well, of course. Women may be the weaker creature in Stardust Crusaders, but there's an element of chivalry to the way it treats someone like Holly that's charming.

There's also no pretense about the cliched stereotypes that hang off of Jotaru; the show is quite open about the fact that they only exist to further his characterization as a brooding teenage badass. Part of what makes stories like SAO so annoying is that they pretend their walking body pillows are STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS and then proceeds to treat them like disposable meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom