• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankoto

Woot, another vote of approval for Rebellion!

As it stands now Rebellion is the latest content within the franchise. There's talks about either another series or movie last I've heard though.
If i remember correctly, that talk came shortly after the end of the TV series just to get fans riled up for more. I think it was supposed to be a new series altogether.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wish Love Live's drama was parody tbh. It's a far better comedic show than it is a dramatic one (even if it's not amusing dimb)
Honestly, I don't even pay attention to the drama. Remember when the school was closing down and Honoka passed out for reasons? No? Because who cares! lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The retro game im@s crossups were the best thing to ever come out of any of these shows.

Better case to be made for that than Berserk at least, if you saw the photos from the last thread of the third movie being in the kid's section at a Walmart. Especially if we're talking a kid that's already snuck out films like Alien to watch or they were shown the Hobbit, in which case why not, popping off a guy's arms isn't a big deal after those.

Well other than that they do a pretty good job at dividing kids and adult films. Though there is a Mai-Otome DVD under the kids section that judging from the back has the episode with tentacle fun time at the pool. Meanwhile Bleach and parts of Samurai Jack are "adult" lol

jman2050

I know they are probably the most mainstream songs of the bunch but Triple Baka and Po Pi Po are literally the only two vocaloid songs I like. There are a few others which I've paid attention to (like Kasane Teto's Territory) but these two are the only ones I'd say I'd go out of my way and choose to listen to them. Honestly though, I haven't really explored the whole world of vocaloid because most of what I heard was miss/noise in the background.

I'm sure there's more good stuff in Idol crap than I give it credit for (I remain unconvinced for now) but at least with Vocaloid stuff I can at least be guaranteed that the vocals are in tune!

Dresden

Been watching Gundam Break Fighters and it's rad! Makes me want to buy Gundam models for the first time since I was a kid(which seems like the show's real purpose :lol).

From the 100% true history of Gundam, Gundam Sousei:

W8WABuD.jpg

Even if the show tries to write them off as loveable losers for the most part the cast is competent. Love Live is in this really boring middle ground for me where the drama feels overwrought to the point of parody (the entire school shoveled the walk for you to get to your concert!), and its comedic is failing to ever gain traction on the other end. I don't think the execution of Love Live is even in the same league as im@s, which was able to at least throw in dramatic story arcs that seemed to matter and characters that had enough individuality to make all of that pay off. Love Live as a group feel like some amorphous generic mass that lacks direction other than wanting to win some pointless contest.

Same here for me. The one episode where they were arguing over "not being kawaii enough" was especially stupid it made me cringe. I think, essentially, the main problem is the school setting, its been done in anime ad infinitum and having an idol show known for being "fun" just overexposes the school crap. After being let down by the hype 'Snow Halation' got, I'm really just continuing due to the show ending soon.

Honestly, I don't even pay attention to the drama. Remember when the school was closing down and Honoka passed out for reasons? No? Because who cares! lol

People say this alot, and with good reason too. But it feels disingenuous to me to be able to take a serious opinion on the show yet not account for the show entirely.

Jintor

debbie downers the lot of you

The decision to discount a good lot of the show is in itself a serious opinion to take, right? I mean I couldn't in good conscience recommend love live to anybody just as-is but I happen to enjoy it in the same way I enjoy castle; it's comfort food television

Branduil

Was it ever stated who cursed the prince?
It was such an awful end, especially since that was the main character's motivation for his actions (I think? according to Wikipedia). Unless you're referring to some plot point that I still don't know about.

fake edit: I'm guessing you mean
fire demon guy being his heart?
yea I had no idea what was up with that.

Well, the fact that you can take your pick of which part of the plot I was referring to says it all, LOL.

Dresden

Idolmaster has the whole passion-project-of-a-talented-director/artist/animator thing going for it, whereas LL just kinda looks gross - garish colors, bad fonts, ugly CG dances, etc. Enough people whose opinions I respect have said good things about it that I don't doubt it being a good show, but visually it just turns me off.

Superflat

Woot, another vote of approval for Rebellion!

As it stands now Rebellion is the latest content within the franchise. There's talks about either another series or movie last I've heard though.

If i remember correctly, that talk came shortly after the end of the TV series just to get fans riled up for more. I think it was supposed to be a new series altogether.

Whatever they do, tv series or film, I hope they follow it up with something.

While I enjoyed the series as well as Rebellion, neither had satisfactory endings.
The tv series ending was too convenient/dues ex-ish while Rebellion's ending felt like it was meant to be expanded upon/undone/challenged with a part 2.

The decision to discount a good lot of the show is in itself a serious opinion to take, right? I mean I couldn't in good conscience recommend love live to anybody just as-is but I happen to enjoy it in the same way I enjoy castle; it's comfort food television

There are some shows where the drama is so bad I have to stop watching but with Love Live I feel there is enough good to help tune out the bad. It's probably one of the anime I'm enjoying the most this season. If it cut out the unnecessary drama and made it more about developing as an idol group (ep 2 & 8 are my favorite) I think I would like the show even more.

Jintor

i think it's unquestionable that LL's dance numbers should be regarded as either an insult or some kind of intent to wound

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I think if you're into the "all girls hanging out" type shows, then Love Live isn't a bad one to watch really.

Idolmaster has the whole passion-project-of-a-talented-director/artist/animator thing going for it, whereas LL just kinda looks gross - garish colors, bad fonts, ugly CG dances, etc. Enough people whose opinions I respect have said good things about it that I don't doubt it being a good show, but visually it just turns me off.
That's true. Love Live is certainly much obviously a product.

Jintor

it's funny though... Idolmaster couldn't retain my interest past the fantastic first episode because i just didn't give a shit about the characters at that point. I should probably go back at some point. I like the look of it and all.

it's funny though... Idolmaster couldn't retain my interest past the fantastic first episode because i just didn't give a shit about the characters at that point. I should probably go back at some point. I like the look of it and all.

Having a bit of cognitive dissonance here. If you're able to tune out the drama in Love Live! Then getting passed a couple of episodes of iM@S should be no problem. I do wonder why iM@S gets hate on its documentary-styled first episode though, I found it refreshing as it provided an easy transition into the idols of a small company shtick the show focuses on.

Quasar

One Week Friends 10 - urge to punch new guy rising.

Baby Steps 10 - Look at that. A normal sports anime I'm going to finish.

jman2050

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe4VvQJ0Gjo

There you go, don't have to watch the video if you don't want to just listen.

It's a decent enough song but just not particularly memorable, I guess.

When I think about it I feel like there's always an associative element with music that can't really be removed when determining your enjoyment. Kind of like how your favorite anime's OP is memorable and enjoyable because the style, chord progressions, etc invoke similar feelings to watching the show, or how you'll listen to the OST of your favorite game because it invokes memories of actually playing the game, or how people love Justin Bieber songs because Justin Bieber is just soooo cute and oh god that's literally the same thing isn't it.

I'll be honest though, it's frighteningly difficult even assessing my own taste in certain music to determine whether the song itself is good/bad or if it's "good/bad" because of where it's from. And then I stop to consider whether that even matters and that just complicates things further.

Why is music so hard?

Jintor

Having a bit of cognitive dissonance here. If you're able to tune out the drama in Love Live! Then getting passed a couple of episodes of iM@S should be no problem. I do wonder why iM@S gets hate on its documentary-styled first episode though, I found it refreshing as it provided an easy transition into the idols of a small company shtick the show focuses on.

you misunderstand - i liked the first episode and then it stopped being that and I didn't know/care enough to keep watching.

I can ignore the drama in LL because I already pre-like the characters because I've spent time with them. But Idolmaster just throws you in the deep end

Dresden

i really can't deal with anything vocaloid, miku or luka or not

always picture a terminator on the other end emitting these falsetto moe-moe sing songs

mankoto

Whatever they do, tv series or film, I hope they follow it up with something.

While I enjoyed the series as well as Rebellion, neither had satisfactory endings.
The tv series ending was too convenient/dues ex-ish while Rebellion's ending felt like it was meant to be expanded upon/undone/challenged with a part 2.
I thought the ending of the TV series was fine. Sure it had a very large convenience factor, but
at least it was complete and brought a close to the series. Whereas Rebellion had a cliffhanger ending thus is practically unfinished so anybody being satisfied with that is kidding themselves.

you misunderstand - i liked the first episode and then it stopped being that and I didn't know/care enough to keep watching.

I can ignore the drama in LL because I already pre-like the characters because I've spent time with them. But Idolmaster just throws you in the deep end

I can agree with this, iM@S for its majority is character-arc based. For me I was initially attracted to the artstyle and character designs and stuck through it and then learned about each character when there arc(s) came into fray, even for those characters I don't particularly care about. It isn't too exciting as a narrative but at the same time it doesn't feel contrived or like a psuedo-parody.

Mokoi

Banned
i really can't deal with anything vocaloid, miku or luka or not

always picture a terminator on the other end emitting these falsetto moe-moe sing songs

Same for me, that's why the vocaloíd songs I listen to are just trance songs. Where the artists barely have Miku sing. Most of the time vocaloids sound like their noses are stuffed.

Jintor

I can agree with this, iM@S for its majority is character-arc based. For me I was initially attracted to the artstyle and character designs and stuck through it and then learned about each character when there arc(s) came into fray, even for those characters I don't particularly care about. It isn't too exciting as a narrative but at the same time it doesn't feel contrived or like a psuedo-parody.

LL is very by-the-numbers in the way it slowly builds up its cast but I think that has its advantages. No doubt the idolmaster girls are just as adorable and quirky or whatever but being thrown instantly into ep 2/3 was like being told to care about people I really had no grasp on. It's okay in ep 1 because a) it's an intro episode and b) the documentary format actively expects the viewer to not really be able to keep up, but once it switched out I was really bummed.

I also really liked the documentary format! I want more anime to do that. That and police procedurals :<

Chariot

The iDOLM@STER 02
I like the opening. Gotta love actual animated scenes that aren't just from the show and non-cgi-dances.
Oh shit, please no boys. Producer is ok, but don't give me a tiring lovestory. That things never work out in shows like that.

I think Iori is annoying, after I looked up her Seyuu, I realized why. Goddamn, Kugumya, I can't you anymore, go away. Especially with characters like this. GO AWAY! ;___; *foam*

I didn't like the first part of the episode. Flatchest complexes and childlike characters with dumb ideas (I was SO close to setting the detective boys on fire and strangling Eurekas children), are not my thing. But the photoshooting was nice to underline the characters and to pull the annoyance of the four a bit (still annyoing).

Seeing, that every girl seems to get a dedicated Ending, reminds me of Akuma no Riddle and somehow I am just waiting for bloody escalation now.

Jintor

The other thing that bugged me was the idea of producer-san... Narukami's the only insert-replace yourself character i care about!

LL is very by-the-numbers in the way it slowly builds up its cast but I think that has its advantages. No doubt the idolmaster girls are just as adorable and quirky or whatever but being thrown instantly into ep 2/3 was like being told to care about people I really had no grasp on. It's okay in ep 1 because a) it's an intro episode and b) the documentary format actively expects the viewer to not really be able to keep up, but once it switched out I was really bummed.

I also really liked the documentary format! I want more anime to do that. That and police procedurals :<

The typical narrative style you listed is fine and works well in multiple shows. However, Love Live! also carries the typical high school setting and the typical character archetype which I feel ultimately brings about the show's generic nature, and the show seems to realize this and starts to counter it with its "drama" which turns out to be contrived and not pleasant.

I suppose you really have to have some sort attachment to the Honoka (the main driving character through the beginning and majority of the show) to stick with it (not hatewatching-wise) else I still fail to see how Love Live! fares better in introduction than iM@S does.

Probably will do at some point.

Is Puchimas short episodes or regular 24-30 min?

Puchimas!(!) consists of 2-3 minute episodes each. And its very comedic but ultimately a fan-service show and one won't be able to enjoy its full potential without any background to the original iM@S series (or the games for that matter).

The iDOLM@STER 02
Oh shit, please no boys. Producer is ok, but don't give me a tiring lovestory. That things never work out in shows like that.

There is no romance arcs in the iM@S anime.

Jintor

I don't think LL really carries off its intro noticeably better than idolmaster, but I did keep watching it, so idk. tbh I think it was Umi and Kotori I was more of a fan of. Eli is a nice immediate counterpoint with nozomi to moderate. After that it slowly introduces the rest of the cast.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The iDOLM@STER 02
I think Iori is annoying, after I looked up her Seyuu, I realized why. Goddamn, Kugumya, I can't you anymore, go away. Especially with characters like this. GO AWAY! ;___; *foam*
Shameful.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The other thing that bugged me was the idea of producer-san... Narukami's the only insert-replace yourself character i care about!

You mean bro-ducer. Considering they had to make a character out of what is literally a self insert from the games I thought they did a good job making him his own character. Never saw him as a self insert to be honest. Though P-san from Puchimas is an even better depiction.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe4VvQJ0Gjo

There you go, don't have to watch the video if you don't want to just listen.

This is great!

I honestly didn't like the 1st episode. I like the later episode though, Chihaya arc is the best arc.

Chariot

There is no romance arcs in the iM@S anime.
Thank god! I am so relieved.

Shameful.
J.C. Staff managed to give me an PTSD for her voice on characters who delude themselves. I have to hold myself in my seat to not run out of my house and seek kittens to punch.
i don't like documentary style in general. I hate it when US shows do that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You mean bro-ducer. Considering they had to make a character out of what is literally a self insert from the games I thought they did a good job making him his own character. Never saw him as a self insert to be honest. Though P-san from Puchimas is an even better depiction.

He's slightly more developed than the faceless owner guy though. The "attraction" is the girls.

Such bro-status

dOvWqNM.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I want a Parks and Rec/Modern Family/The Office style mockumentary anime so bad
Isn't The Office really the only show that actually tried to write in the mockumentary thing into the fiction of the show? Aka, dudes making the most boring documentary in the history of documentaries. lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Isn't The Office really the only show that actually tried to write in the mockumentary thing into the fiction of the show? Aka, dudes making the most boring documentary in the history of documentaries. lol

The difference between British and American quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom