• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Whats everyone's opening of the season?

Soul Eater NOT! OP <333

There are a lot of good OPs this season, it pleases me.

If I had to pick just one, it would be killy killy JOKER from Wixoss, but Itsuka no, Ikutsuka no Kimi to no Sekai from Kawaisou isn't far behind (fhana's vocalist has the most amazing voice, and the song sets the mood for the show so perfectly).

DARAKENA from Chaika is another standout, and of course daze from Mekakucity Actors is great along with all the other songs in that show.

Articalys

If you mean opening in its entirety, accounting for both music and visuals, then probably NGNL's OP. But if it's purely for song, then it's the kz-composed "monochrome" all the way.

Speaking of which, one of the songs on the BEATLESS image album coming out later this month is a livetune/NIRGILIS collaboration. Can't wait to hear it.

Tenumi

Banned
I'm not really all that fond of any of the Openings from this current season, so I'll go with a technicality answer and say I like Happiness Charge Precure's opening the best.

Link Man

Banned
Kawai Complex Guide's OP is really incredible, and the animation for it makes me think of Reading Rainbow. Probably my favorite anime this season, as well.

Anyway, E3 is over, so time to drown my sorrows by watching anime.

Soma

On the topic of OP's, I honestly feel like Ping Pong's OP is gonna go down as a personal classic for me. Right there with Tank! and others and I don't say that very lightly either.

Visuals are fantastic and the music is insanely energetic and rambunctious. I'm glad that the lyrics have gotten translated too because they fit so well with the story itself.

Jarmel

Banned
So I finally have some downtime today before I start the Destiny beta. I went to the autograph sessions for AnimeNEXT and wanted to report on some small tidbits I heard there. I didn't go to the panels as I live in NYC and just going to the autograph sessions in NJ was 3 hours one-way (totaling 6 hours and obliterating my Sunday) so fuck that, once is more than enough. Anyway while I was waiting in line, I talked to a guy who went to the KLK panel and he brought up some stuff said in the KLK panel:

-Koyama was responsible for the perverted designs in KLK (somewhat to my surprise but then I realized this guy worked on the designs for Star Driver and Captain Earth). I actually didn't realize Koyama was the 2nd art director for KLK until I checked ANN. Supposedly the original designs had more clothes on them and were something closer to P&SwG.
-Everybody knows about the puns for Kill La Kill's title in that Kiru means to wear. However they mentioned something about Ikiru(spelling?) which means to live. So the title could be interpreted as Live to Die or Die to Live or a whole host of other things along with the clothes stuff.
-The Elite 4 were all originally girls

This bit I directly asked Tattun, in the autograph session, who then asked Wakabayashi: So did you guys confirm Inferno Cop 2?

Tattun ummed a bit but then asked Wakabayashi, who came up with the plot ideas for Inferno Cop, and said that they have ideas but still need the funds for production. So in other words, no. Sorry guys.

I also found these other bits on Twitter while trying to find reports from the panel so I can't directly or indirectly confirm this stuff:

http://forum.evageeks.org/post/728628/Anime-Kill-la-Kill/ said:
Gathered some really amazing info over the past days

Japan was having an all night marathon screening of ep1-12 (5/30) and ep13-24(5/31) with Imaishi and Nakashima amongst others as guests for the accompanying talk shows. On 5/30, the two mainly talked about the old ideas that they scrapped before creating the current plot we've all come to love.

Nakashima once had plans to have Shuuichi Ikeda voice Junketsu to go with Toshihiko Seki. "Just like Rau Le Creuset and Quattro Bajeena! I bet Ikeda san will get mad at me again." - this was brought up WAY in the beginning back when Kill la Kill was supposed to be an episodic show where Ryuko battles different club members, so it's not safe to say that the current Junketsu we know = Ikeda Junketsu. Nakashima says in the audio commentary of BD Vol. 4 that Junketsu is supposed to represent a Kamui closest to the original, feral nature of life fibers so it's not intended to talk.
Supposedly Nakashima's idea for a non-canon joke episode was supposed to be Senketsu and Junketsu going to a laundromat and running into each other there and starting a fight. Junketsu was supposed to reveal that he was only pretending to be silent. In the end the two return home more dirty and beaten up than when they went in.
The starch bullet that showed up in ep12 was supposed to ultimately kill Mikisugi. Ryuko would be accused of murdering him and would be sent to prison, thus beginning the "Prison Arc" - this "Prison Arc" was mentioned in the April(?) issue of NewType that interviewed Nakashima, and consists of Ryuko using a life fiber phone to talk with Mako while she's in jail.

the other insight comes from Trigger staff at AnimeNEXT that was having a Kill la Kill panel

Satsuki was originally a short haired blond character.
The original Kill la Kill designs looked a lot more like Panty and Stocking before they were redesigned.
"All the perverted looks in Kill la Kill were done by Koyama."
Originally the Elite Four were all girls in the first designs.
Gamagori was original a judo wrestling girl!
There were Evangelion fans working on Kill la Kill but there was nothing oriented to Eva in the show itself.
There&#8217;s some initials on the boogie boards in the second Kill la Kill ending are WWH. this stands for WORLD WAR HULK!
Mr. Imaishi likes to make everything drool. He wanted a drooling unicorn on the cover of the second CD jacket.
The Kill la Kill 25th episode will be included in the final volume of the blu-ray. It will be continuing the story after episode 24. (note: old info)
Making the designs so revealing in Kill la Kill was purely a &#8220;challenge&#8221; to cosplayers. Not because they wanted to see them dressed up.

They were showing off the concept sketches from the early stuff. Mako originally had pigtails and Satsuki was originally blonde!
The early designs for the kamui transformations were reminiscent of samurai armor, mecha, traditional oni. Nonon once had&#8230;Dreamworks face.
Before Gamagoori was going to look just like Souther the original design was him as a judo girl. Kinda looks like&#8230;Yawara with a lucha mask
Harime&#8217;s umbrella was originally going to fold in to make a lightsaber.
The second ending was put together in about a week. The shot of Mako in the tub has a WWH for World War Hulk. As in the Marvel Comics event.
Imaishi is really into the Hulk in general. He has some drawings of Hulked out Mako that he originally wanted for the 2nd ED. Got shot down.
All the background freezeframe Hollywood movie references in episode 4 weren&#8217;t in the original storyboard. The animators were dicking around
A lot of the proportions for Inferno Cop (and the inspiration for Tsumugu) were actually taken from the Flash Thompson &#8220;Agent Venom&#8221; design.
The idea for the Goku uniforms came from Nakajima. They initially didn&#8217;t intend to have transformations but since the staff loves robots&#8230;
&#8230;they opted to have the uniforms transform since there was a &#8220;NO ROBOTS&#8221; policy in planning. But then they put in that DTR anyway. Whoops!
The original series title for Kill la Kill was going to be The Crimson Garment, but Ghibli told them that would be too close to Porco Rosso. (2nd source)
The inspiration for Mako&#8217;s family came from Gutsy Frog
Pretty sure their source was: https://twitter.com/Gerald_AWO

They also found this translated super long interview with sushio:http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14...l/1620/?&sid=24abec3d4d9d806b47ee321317e786fb
Some good tidbits from reading through it,
S: Yes. The Fried People jump on the rim of the oil tub, but they slip and fall in. I put a lot of time into details and layout like that. I almost put off the Ryuuko scene fixes for later. And the Fried People animation was done by Sakamoto Masaru. ...

Q: As episodes progressed, I'm sure the younger animators at Trigger were rearing their heads more on-site. Looking back, what do you think of their growth?
S: The young animators who worked on Little Witch Academia all joined Trigger. After they'd finished their first project, I thought they had gotten better. So when I looked at their actual skills, I initially thought "this ain't going to be good". If I don't knuckle down and train them properly, it wouldn't end well for me either.
Q: So it was more of a struggle in the beginning.
S: Definitely. But the ones with more talent/innate sense got better with each episode. And it was very nice to see them get better. I taught them more and more things.
Q: How did you teach them?
S: I grilled/fixed mistakes on the spot, and did that over and over again. And if they had questions, I would suggest things like "think of how soft Yasuhiko Yoshikazu draws his characters' feet". Or show them Otokogumi.
Q: In the end, the newcomers Yoneyama-san, Iwasaki Shouta-san, Sakamoto-san, and Handa(?) Shuuhei-san were on-site.
S: They were a great help for the latter half of the series. I had Yoneyama-san draw Satsuki, and Iwasaki-san handled Mikisugi. They drew a lot of great expressions for Satsuki and Mikisugi in the episodes they were in charge of. And finally, they'd take over the characters completely. They really supported the work site....

S: As for the final product, (cut off)
S: (cut off) ...and I'm quite satisfied. But the workload was far too brutal. It was fun when I was drawing, but every time I got up to head to the bathroom, I'd think "this is grueling" (laughs).
Q: (laughs)
S: I'd think "I can't handle this shit!" And when I'm sitting on the toilet, I think to myself that I'm practically a slave.
Q: What an immense contrast.
S: I say to myself "This is too much! I'm gonna quit anime!" But once I get back to my seat and resume drawing, it's fun.
There's another one interviewing the VAs:http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14370/Anime-Kill-la-Kill/1560/?

Oh and chibi Satsuki for everybody,
iLyklsghl0QE.JPG

Haikyuu!! Episode 10

That floater was the best part, really something that the manga didnt convey that well but the power of moving pictures can.

KENMA (yuki kaiji) there, so hyped, but first that sleeping thing in the pv.

Tsukki in the Karasuno fight, lol
Bp-DIG7CcAAKEKr.png:large

Jarmel

Banned
Are you Jarred?
Oh and thanks, saved.

Yea that's my RL name. Koyama was doing tons of sketches all day long for AnimeNEXT. He was doing sketches for literally 2.5 hours. Everybody was getting Mako but I said screw it and asked for Satsuki. I actually got in line twice(first time for my big KLK poster) so I was in line the full time.

A real champ as he was only scheduled for an hour. The Trigger guests at the conventions I've gone to so far have all been amazing as they've stayed way after they were obligated to, to make sure as many fans as possible got autographs. Really great stuff.

Midonin

To Heart 2 adnext + Dungeon Travelers 01-02 + Final Thoughts

I really liked the first adnext episode. Manaka's delusions did keep me guessing how long things would remain "real", but it all resulted in a sweet moment at the end... only to be followed up with Konomi's mom upping the lewd(?)ness. In fact, from the OP to the animation - for the first time having a few panty shots - these last four episodes felt a little more lewd overall. Yuuki getting some focus in the second adnext episode was also kinda sweet, especially since she'd been underutilized during the entire run.

I wasn't sure if Dungeon Travelers was a straight up AU or somehow "grounded" in the main series, and to my surprise they went with the latter with the whole thing being a VR game. Memories of TLR's Trouble Quest. The dungeon traveling was never given any conclusion, and it's clear that "play the game" was written in the notes for the producers. It was a fun little romp, a chance to see the cast in a different setting. And for the first time, I liked Ilfa a little more, since she got bolder with her newfound humanity.

Overall, To Heart 2 is a lot like the first To Heart. Very middle of the road romcom stuff, with one or two standout characters. It never got the relative closure of Remember my memories, but was very fair about giving every girl an episode where they were in the spotlight. And while the maid robots - especially Multi - were the best characters in the original, here the maid robots were my least favorite, with Tamaki, Manaka and Yuma landing in the top three here. And maybe Ruuko. (A naked wizard's robe? Bold.)

I liked it, and found it pleasant.

For my next change of tone, something also recent, but even more fetishy. (Or so I've heard.) Crime Edge has made the cut.

mankoto

Whats everyone's opening of the season?

Soul Eater NOT! OP <333
There are a lot of good ones this season.
I can't choose between Captain Earth, WIXOSS, Chaika, Ping Pong, and Kawaisou.

Selector Infected WIXOSS 10
I never really thought about the possibility, but since it's happening right now,
if Hitoe remembers that those are her friends, what happens? If she ever wins does she become a card? And it's not like she's lost a battle either... Would she have to spend the rest of her life with Yuzuki around her neck?

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin 10
This episode ended WAY too quickly.

cnet128

Banned
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka? 10

cute cute fluffy happy cute happy fluffy cute

Oh hey, we finally got to see
what Tippy looks like soaked
!

Chino's growing attachment to Cocoa is crazy adorable, but not as adorable as Sharo. Sharo is love.

Articalys

Gochiusa ep.10

Oh man, that Engrish scene was great. I'd like some more coffee.

Also, cnet's going to want to watch this episode like yesterday. FAKE EDIT: what timing!

cnet128

Banned
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin 10

Probably the best episode this show has had so far. Cool buildup to the treasure room itself, really fun antics within, and then an awesome and very satisfying confrontation with multiple treasures being used to excellent effect. And it's not over yet! >.<

Hattori

Banned
Yea that's my RL name. Koyama was doing tons of sketches all day long for AnimeNEXT. He was doing sketches for literally 2.5 hours. Everybody was getting Mako but I said screw it and asked for Satsuki. I actually got in line twice(first time for my big KLK poster) so I was in line the full time.

A real champ as he was only scheduled for an hour. The Trigger guests at the conventions I've gone to so far have all been amazing as they've stayed way after they were obligated to, to make sure as many fans as possible got autographs. Really great stuff.
You did good picking Satsuki! :)

--------
I'm kinda jealous, I wish I live in a city, we never get anything in my little suburban town

Branduil

Supposedly Nakashima's idea for a non-canon joke episode was supposed to be Senketsu and Junketsu going to a laundromat and running into each other there and starting a fight. Junketsu was supposed to reveal that he was only pretending to be silent. In the end the two return home more dirty and beaten up than when they went in.

This sounds better than anything in the actual show.

Acid08

Banned
Gundam Seed 15

Fllay still sucks and Kira cried again.

The dude shooting down that escape pod was ultra fucked up.

Articalys

Weekly sales for June 2 - 8:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1547

- Arpeggio of Blue Steel finished up with a strong six-volume average of 12,214. Your 3DCG anime future awaits.

Not much of a week otherwise except for Unicorn vol.7 annihilating everything else, falling just shy of 160k, and the Lupin vs. Conan movie at about 30k. Next week is even worse, with pretty much just the first Robot Girls Z volume for anything interesting.

cnet128

Banned
selector infected WIXOSS 11

Well, if
Tama really does have extra-special wish granting capabilities
, there may finally be a light at the end of the tunnel of hopelessness and despair. Lord knows Ruuko isn't about to go losing any battles, after all. Somehow I don't think it will go quite that smoothly, but we'll see.

Still wondering whether this show is really 1-cour or split-cour. It's finally starting to feel like it might actually tie everything up, but with just one episode to go, next week being the actual finale would definitely feel quite rushed. Hopefully it'll just be a "season finale" type climax rather than an actual ending.

cajunator

Banned
Strike Witches 4

This was the look on my face upon seeing the amount of world building in this ep that attempted to legitimize the concept of the show. It was impressive a full ten minutes of airtime was devoted to discussion of what a post-war economy would be like if/when the Neuroi were defeated. In particular, the textile industry was highlighted when a brash plan was put forth to help reinvigorate the industry should it fall into a slump after the war. The plan, you ask? Attempting to provide a product to half the global population that had long been unserved by this industry by increasing the production of pants for this demographic. That's right, pants for women.

Pants are not necessary. They would just have to take them off to use the Striker devices anyway. It actually makes sense for them to wear bloomers.

If you want to see what i meant by "bad fire" i made a gif

And then i realised that my gif was better animated than in the actual show ... dammit

i should start making webm so you can have the sound and realise how "off" it is.

holy shit thats awful.

I guess I should at least humor you with the only witch who wears "pants".

Clearly you on the left.

Cuties!

Midonin

Escha & Logy 09

Now the ruins quest can begin in earnest. The main cast using every loophole at their disposal to get up there was clever on their part. Escha continues to be cute. Seeing her broken-hearted this episode made me sad as well, but it only lasted up until the commercial break. That barroom brawl was also something special.

this thread is dangerous to post in while I'm having lunch in a public space. I never know if somebody will have posted something risque looking while I'm at McDonalds lol

Nanana 10
Tensai being carried was adorable. Interesting climax though a tad expected.
I'm expecting the ring to cause the brain to believe something

I feel wrong that I'm enjoying Brynhyldr, Chaika, Onii-sama and NGNL more than Ping Pong. Like the latter is meant to be a show that will be spoken of years from now. But Brynhyldr has hilarious witch crabcore metal. And Chaika has Red Chaika.

survivor

Banned
On the topic of OP's, I honestly feel like Ping Pong's OP is gonna go down as a personal classic for me. Right there with Tank! and others and I don't say that very lightly either.

Visuals are fantastic and the music is insanely energetic and rambunctious. I'm glad that the lyrics have gotten translated too because they fit so well with the story itself.
I'm not a huge fan of the song for the OP but the visuals are just so damn good. I wish more OPs tried cool art styles like this one.

cajunator

Banned
I feel wrong that I'm enjoying Brynhyldr, Chaika, Onii-sama and NGNL more than Ping Pong. Like the latter is meant to be a show that will be spoken of years from now. But Brynhyldr has hilarious witch crabcore metal. And Chaika has Red Chaika.

Ping pong is blah. The other shows are more fun.
theres another ping pong animd and it was better (but really crude)

Jintor

Adventure Time - Yuasa Edition

That was awesome. I can't believe CN was cool with something so lucid and strange. Would love to hear the story on how this collab happened.

Is it significantly weirder than most adventure time episodes?

lojBvsf.gif

Or Courage the Cowardly Dog, now that could be really fucking weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom