• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Boredom in the Area 17
Does this have any medical basis? I've seen culebrones with more plausible melodrama.

The Engrish wasn't very bad, surprisingly. It just had a heavy accent. And yay, Nadeshiko Japan antics next week!
I'm glad it's still stupid crazy. I'm also sad that this is as close as we'll get to a soccer animu that capitalizes on the women winning the world cup!

Flipping a pen between fingers is easy!

I'm glad it's still stupid crazy. I'm also sad that this is as close as we'll get to a soccer animu that capitalizes on the women winning the world cup!

Flipping a pen between fingers is easy!

I'm pretty sure at least 2 other shows this season has pen flipping (hyouka nyaruko). It's a new fad in anime that I can get behind.

DEBATE TEAM REPRESENT (again)!

wonzo

Banned
Is Ginga e Kickoff worth checking out if I don't really care about football, let alone sports?

Korra no Densetsu 4

korra4.jpg

Amon fucking owns and is easily the best reason to watch this. I'm really starting to enjoy it after the somewhat disheartening first two episodes. The CG's still pretty bad though. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nerd Self-Insertion Fantasy World 04

Okay, May'n sounds A LOT like Nana Mizuki. The worst part is that I like the song. :(

"You hate yourself and that's why you hang out with me!"
God damn dude. Smooth.
And of course his waifu is moribund now hahahahahahahahaha.

This shit is hype, guys.
Is Ginga e Kickoff worth checking out if I don't really care about football, let alone sports?
Not really, no.

I'm not a sports fan, and I'm still having fun with it. It feels energetic and fresh. Not a must-see by any means, but no harm in checking out the first episode and seeing if you like it.

It's worlds better than Knight in the Area.

wonzo

Banned
Not really, no.
I'm not a sports fan, and I'm still having fun with it. It feels energetic and fresh. Not a must-see by any means, but no harm in checking out the first episode and seeing if you like it.
It's a fun, well-made, light-hearted show, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has no interest in football.
Hmmm, I might check out an ep or two if it's better than The Knight in the Area which I kinda enjoyed until the shit with the heart started. lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hmmm, I might check out an ep or two if it's better than The Knight in the Area which I kinda enjoyed until the shit with the heart started. lol
The Knight in the Area is crap. I'm only watching it because of the girls, and they are not the main focus.

Branduil

I can only assume that a small portion of the audience who watch a KyoAni show are, themselves, interested in animation and maybe potential animators. It kind of makes sense to appeal to them.

In that case they should just make a commercial showing KyoAni animators luxuriating at the studio and cashing checks.

Branduil

As much as I love Medaka Box, there really is very little in the opening episodes compelling enough to continue without knowing the drastic changes that are made. While I wouldn't call it bad per se, it is a rather generic Sket Dance-esq show and the odd standards of animegaf make it hard for them to give it a fair chance, especially in such a stacked season.

I guess anime fans with good taste are pretty odd on the internet.

Westlo

Are they trolling?

There's quite a few anime and/or manga awards that don't actually give out their "main" award for the year every now and than... it's just that KyoAni have done that 3 times straight... I guess they haven't exactly been given amazing entries... also whatever is awarded the grand prix gets an anime from KyoAni IIRC... and considering they only really pump out 2 shows a year...

Branduil

Ojamajo Doremi (1999) 1-51 END

Doremi is more of an oldschool magical girl show as there is no evil force to battle against and the cast doesn't fight monsters of the week, but instead we have a small team of apprentice witches who spend their time training or helping others with their magic.

Well that already sounds a lot better than the typical show of that type.

people like jman2050 will be pleased to know that this show used Adobe Premiere more successfully than a certain other show.

?

frostbyte

Kore wa Zombie of the Dead 4

Are outright FMP references allowed like this? I mean, they're just casually slinging those references like there's no tomorrow...

and random Kore wa Zombie episodes are the best episodes. Hopefully, the plot doesn't kick in until the last episode...

Sankarea 4

Hmm...The zombie fanservice really turns me off. I wouldn't mind it if it was more subtle but that
loofah
scene was terrible. The first three episodes set the tone for a moody, heart-wrenching tale with bountiful dark themes. This episode took away the tasteful portrayal the contentious source material, and left us with repulsive zombie fanservice. Sure, there were occasional light elements of zombie humour before but it was respectful and restrained in introducing such a questionable concept and premise to the viewer. I personally wouldn't mind the fanservice if it was used as a vehicle for character development or plot advancement.

The show still looks aesthetically pleasing but there wasn't as much interesting use of visuals and the art direction was inferior to the painstakingly poignant scenes of the previous episodes.

I hope Sankarea won't continue to go against the precedent set by the previous episodes but my expectations have been lowered substantially, unfortunately.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

5D9q1.jpg

Wow. I'm in awe.

I vastly underestimated the potential of this route. I thought it was going to be a fun diversion, but it was actually in many ways superior to the Fate one. And the way the film was handled... Wow. The animation was top-notch (otherworldly, actually, when compared to the Fate/stay night series), the action scenes were perfectly paced (not too short, but not long enough to start dragging), and there were some gorgeous shots. And, to be honest, I enjoyed the pacing. All the fat was completely discarded (although apparently there's a
Rin date scene missing
). It feels good to watch an anime that gets straight to the point for a change.

The story also blew my mind. I honestly didn't think the UBW route would be so different from the Fate route.
Archer blowing shit up right at the start when Rin and Shirou face Berserker for the first time gave me the sign that I shouldn't let my guard down. Still, Gilgamesh ripping Ilya's heart out got through me. What. The. Fuck.

And then there was Saber becoming Rin's servant. What an interesting twist.
Finally, Shirou feels like a completely different character from what he was in the Fate route.
The confrontation between him and Archer, and then the final one with Gilgamesh were way beyond what I thought he was capable of. Badass. Just like Lancer. What a freaking bro, that guy.

I wouldn't say you need to play through the UBW route in the VN to watch this and enjoy it because, well, I didn't play it and did enjoy it. A lot. You do need to play the Fate route and/or watch Fate/stay night, though.

Now I'll blast through the UBW route in the VN and get to Heaven's Feel, then finally jump right into Fate/Zero. Hopefully they'll reanimate the Fate route and make a movie out of Heaven's Feel sometime down the line. Maybe even get Type-Moon to create more routes! Bwahahaha.

I love this franchise.

Jex

Natsuiro Kiseki 1+2: So this is the four girls show with Sphere. It's not bad but feels a little bland. Not particularly impressive production but not obviously bad either. I can see some fun things being done with the rock similar to the acts of god in Kamichu. I don't know if they'll get inventive with it but they certainly should. I don't really like Natsumi or Saki but Rin and Yuka are cool stuff[...]

Well, I'd have to disagree with you there. You're being far too kind to a show about four girls which doesn't attempt any kind of characterisation before leaping right into faux-drama.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fujiko the Fujiko: A Fujiko Named Fujiko Fujiko 04:

5AALm.jpg

When even Fujiko is creeped out, you know you're in extreme violation of some social norm.

I make a point every episode to say that I have minimal knowledge of classic Lupin, so those of you with more knowledge please clue me in: is Zenigata ever depicted as
promiscuous
? I always imagined him as quite the opposite. They seem to have introduced Oscar into the show solely to serve as a straight-laced foil to Zenigata, further compounding my confusion over his true character.

I enjoyed this episode a bit more than the previous episode, mostly thanks to
Lupin's presence
. The show is making a valiant effort to remain entertaining with Fujiko as the focus, but
in Lupin's presence she just feels like such a non-character in comparison.
The impression that I get from classic Lupin is that Fujiko is defined by her mysteriousness, and that worked because she was only ever a supporting character. The show feels conflicted over just how much it wants to expand on Fujiko's character, though, and feels trapped in an unsatisfying limbo of promoting Fujiko to protagonist but without any significant characterization.

The ED is making it pretty clear that her childhood is going to eventually come into play (and this was reinforced in this episode by the
really trippy scene when Fujiko steps into the river of forgetfulness
), but until the show decides to bestow these insights we're still watching the same old Fujiko, except without the complementary benefit of the rest of the cast playing off of each other. On her own, she's just not an interesting character at all.

Jex

Sengoku Collection 04:
At heart, these episodes are still as ridiculous as all fuck and doubly so for Masamune because of all of the grimdark of this episode juxtaposed against her titty costume, but the desperate amount of effort that Brains Base is putting into making this watchable continues to astound me more and more with each passing week.:

It's good to see that Brains Base have learnt their lesson about scheduling a thousand titles on top of each other. It's not so good to see them working on stupid shit, but then again practically every studio has done that.

I hope Sankarea won't continue to go against the precedent set by the previous episodes but my expectations have been lowered substantially, unfortunately.

It's gonna have episodes like this probably until the end unless they either cut out stuff or go for an original ending. It doesn't really get serious business again for a while.

frostbyte

http://i.imgur.com/5D9q1.jpg[IMG]

Wow. I'm in awe.

I vastly underestimated the potential of this route. I thought it was going to be a fun diversion, but it was actually in many ways superior to the Fate one. And the way the film was handled... Wow. The animation was top-notch (otherworldly, actually, when compared to the Fate/stay night series), the action scenes were perfectly paced (not too short, but not long enough to start dragging), and there were some gorgeous shots. And, to be honest, I enjoyed the pacing. All the fat was completely discarded (although apparently there's a [spoiler]Rin date scene missing[/spoiler]). It feels good to watch an anime that gets straight to the point for a change.

The story also blew my mind. I honestly didn't think the UBW route would be so different from the Fate route. [spoiler]Archer blowing shit up right at the start when Rin and Shirou face Berserker for the first time gave me the sign that I shouldn't let my guard down. Still, Gilgamesh [i]ripping Ilya's heart out[/i] got through me. What. The. Fuck.

And then there was Saber becoming Rin's servant. What an interesting twist.[/spoiler] Finally, Shirou feels like a completely different character from what he was in the Fate route. [spoiler]The confrontation between him and Archer, and then the final one with Gilgamesh were way beyond what I thought he was capable of. Badass. Just like Lancer. What a freaking bro, that guy.[/spoiler]

[b]I wouldn't say you need to play through the UBW route in the VN to watch this and enjoy it because, well, I didn't play it and did enjoy it. A lot. You do need to play the Fate route and/or watch Fate/stay night, though.[/b]

Now I'll blast through the UBW route in the VN and get to Heaven's Feel, then finally jump right into Fate/Zero. Hopefully they'll reanimate the Fate route and make a movie out of Heaven's Feel sometime down the line. Maybe even get Type-Moon to create more routes! Bwahahaha.

I love this franchise.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see you enjoyed it. I really liked the movie too.

I don't think the problem is whether you need to play the UBW route in the VN to enjoy it, but rather you're not getting all the salient details from what was originally intended as the UBW route in full. There's a difference between cutting away the fat from the VN, in order to adapt it into an anime, and getting rid of too much. This personally sours the experience a bit for me as I like to experience something as it was intended, not just cherrypicking the best parts.

Just for the record, I watched the UBW movie first and was impressed. And then I played the VN, which just blew me away. There's really no comparison.

I don't think there'll be HF adaptation but I want to be proven wrong. [spoiler] I'd give my left arm for a ufotable adapted HF route, or even any other Fate work.[/spoiler]

[quote="cosmicblizzard, post: 37367724"]It's gonna have episodes like this probably until the end unless they either cut out stuff or go for an original ending. It doesn't really get serious business again for a while.[/QUOTE]

Sigh...Hope the fanservice isn't too blatant, I guess...

Jex

It actually looks exactly like Xam'd to me. The color choices and the way the scene and background is composed is much more reminiscent of Xam'd than Princess Mononoke.

Perhaps not everyone has had the pleasure of watching Xam'd? The palette is certainly more reminiscent of the stuff we saw outside of Sentan Island.

Jex

In that case they should just make a commercial showing KyoAni animators luxuriating at the studio and cashing checks.

Isn't that what those studio-interview things are for?

Of course, those commercials also help to raise brand-awareness in the studio themselves, because I really doubt that most people pay attention to that kind of thing.

5D9q1.jpg

The story also blew my mind. I honestly didn't think the UBW route would be so different from the Fate route.
Archer blowing shit up right at the start when Rin and Shirou face Berserker for the first time gave me the sign that I shouldn't let my guard down. Still, Gilgamesh ripping Ilya's heart out got through me. What. The. Fuck.

The very fact that
Shirou used a command seal to stop Saber from harming Archer and Rin when they first showed up helped caused the butterfly effect, leaving Archer available to do what he wanted right from the start. The scene with Berserker and Gilgamesh was slightly different (as Berserker actually broke Enkidu (the chains). But yeah, I agree with you about Ilya.

And then there was Saber becoming Rin's servant. What an interesting twist.
Finally, Shirou feels like a completely different character from what he was in the Fate route.

What's interesting is that
despite Rin becoming Saber's Master she was still alongside Shirou. Servants are supposed to protect their Master's however she decided to stay to watch Shirou's fight with Archer and an unrelated third party (Lancer) go looking for Rin.

The confrontation between him and Archer, and then the final one with Gilgamesh were way beyond what I thought he was capable of. Badass. Just like Lancer. What a freaking bro, that guy.

Just remember that
what Shirou did against Gilgamesh was really the only servant he could do that to. With his tracing and Reality Marble, Shirou is Gilgamesh's perfect counter (moreso if you include Gil's ego not allowing him to be serious from the start along with Unlimited Blade Works being faster than Gates of Babylon). Shirou's battle with Archer is slightly different, and why Archer did what he did is explained in the VN's post credits epilogue for that route.

Oh, one other thing about Archer. You've heard the term 'GAR'? Archer's the cause of that.

I wouldn't say you need to play through the UBW route in the VN to watch this and enjoy it because, well, I didn't play it and did enjoy it. A lot. You do need to play the Fate route and/or watch Fate/stay night, though.

Though I think its a disservice to the Fate Route, I've heard some refer to it being more of a primer for the characters, to introduce you to them and get familiar with them so they can go nuts for the UBW's route and the Heaven's Feel route.

Or at least an OVA series for Heaven's Feel, as there is a shitton of info in there in regards to the Grail War not to mention what else goes on in that route.

Jex

Sankarea 04:

Welp.

I didn't find the episode as offensively fanservicey as much as I found it disappointingly lacking in interesting direction. The atmosphere, the gloom, the expert use of light, and the sense of foreboding are gone, and in their absence we're left with a straightforward ecchi comedy.

I'd like to think that I wasn't deluding myself by believing that the show could retain its high level of quality for its entire run, but when I really consider that Sankarea is, at its heart, a show with the premise of a guy wanting to bone a zombie girl, I wonder if all of this was inevitable. There's no way to class up something like the loofah scene short of omitting it entirely, and I have to remind myself that the first three episodes ultimately weren't indicative of what the overall tone of the show would be like, but, rather, were a long and careful establishment of the real premise.

The next episode promises to be even tawdrier from the preview. I'm nowhere near above liking ecchi in my shows, but considering how hard the first three episodes of Sankarea tried to rise above its source material, I don't think that I'm ever going to be able to accept that the tragedy of Rea's death and rebirth is being dumped in favor of tits and ass.

That was unfortunately the impression I got as well. The three episode test or whatever it's called is apparently useless when you have a title like this which carefully builds a tone and atmosphere only to jettison it three episodes down the line in favour of something completely different.

This actually makes me question if there was any point making those opening episodes as er, classy as they were. I understand that the tone of the first few episodes was changed from the manga, which is fair enough if you're going to change a work and follow through with a different tone to the source material. However, if you're going to change the tone and then just change it back a few episodes in, why bother? If that's the material you're working from, make that and at least stay consistent throughout the run of your show, don't do one thing and then do another later, it's stupid.

I really feel like this episode is a step-down in terms of direction as well, the transitions between shots are awkward, the cinematography is pedestrian and I don't much care for the pacing either.

Jex

In case people were wondering how the Accel World bathroom is evolving we went from this:

SIFA9.jpg

to this:

neUev.jpg
Mother of God...the room has completely changed, the cubicles have changed size, the sink is higher etc. Truly a miracle. It almost looks like the room is slightly shorter as well, but it's hard to tell because of that perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom