• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's quite a few anime and/or manga awards that don't actually give out their "main" award for the year every now and than... it's just that KyoAni have done that 3 times straight... I guess they haven't exactly been given amazing entries... also whatever is awarded the grand prix gets an anime from KyoAni IIRC... and considering they only really pump out 2 shows a year...
I'm under the impression that there is no guarantee that a grand prize winning work will be turned into an anime.

Branduil

Mother of God...the room has completely changed, the cubicles have changed size, the sink is higher etc. Truly a miracle. It almost looks like the room is slightly shorter as well, but it's hard to tell because of that perspective.

You forgot to mention the urinals suddenly being rendered in a completely different style.

Milky Holmes 8

This show solves the problem of how to maintain status quo by making the main characters incredibly dumb. I guess that works.

a1Upq.jpg

Censorship makes everything better.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This actually makes me question if there was any point making those opening episodes as er, classy as they were.
I will take three good episodes over no good episodes. I don't see the pacing changing until two weeks from now for people who didn't like Sankarea 4. It seems pretty obvious that the next episode will be
a drawn out realization by the main character that hydrangeas are the solution to Rea's problem.
Lots of people will probably give up on the show next week just because episodes four and five will largely be tied together.

Branduil

Nothing scared about Miyazaki's bug-fetish really. I've always been a Laputa man since childhood. Maybe you just don't know me well enough!

You're not going to get any argument from me on Laputa being the better movie.

Except in our case we'll probably be jamming things up each other's rectums instead. It would be violent, bloody, and honestly probably illegal in most countries.

A yandere Jazz session?

This actually makes me question if there was any point making those opening episodes as er, classy as they were. I understand that the tone of the first few episodes was changed from the manga, which is fair enough if you're going to change a work and follow through with a different tone to the source material. However, if you're going to change the tone and then just change it back a few episodes in, why bother? If that's the material you're working from, make that and at least stay consistent throughout the run of your show, don't do one thing and then do another later, it's stupid.

I get the feeling that the director set out to make something really good, worked very hard on it for a while, then looked around at the lack of talent around him and gave up. It's very unfortunate.

If nothing else, the quality of the first three episodes has at least given me one more name to pay attention to.

Milky Holmes 8

This show solves the problem of how to maintain status quo by making the main characters incredibly dumb. I guess that works.

Censorship makes everything better.

I found it to be the superior 'k-on' if that makes any sense ;)

I kinda wanna play it but I'm still behind on my Katawa Shoujoing. I need to finish Rin and Lilly.

A Black Falcon did it first.

Her pure and virginal skin can only be attained by careful shaving.

I never did finish this show. I only caught random episodes here and there. It was always class.

I am a bit afraid of tackling it now because I'm sure I wouldn't stop until I finished all three seasons or whatever. I just don't have the time. :(

If we had animated avatars this would be my animated avatar.

Finish that GOTY!

Dresden

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

5D9q1.jpg

Wow. I'm in awe.

I vastly underestimated the potential of this route. I thought it was going to be a fun diversion, but it was actually in many ways superior to the Fate one.

UBW is the only good route.

Dat Rin.

Dat um, well, fuck Shirou.

Dat Rin.

Jex

I get the feeling that the director set out to make something really good, worked very hard on it for a while, then looked around at the lack of talent around him and gave up. It's very unfortunate.

If nothing else, the quality of the first three episodes has at least given me one more name to pay attention to.

Duckroll and myself where discussing this topic earlier and in the end it is clearly the fault of the director if he doesn't have the organisation in place with the right staff to make episodes which are consistent with what the tone that he was going for with the show. Of course, he clearly understands how to storyboard some interesting episodes.

I'm watching Fate/Zero now and also want to know something. Is fate/stay worth watching? I heard it was pretty mediocre. And what about the movie? Is it a re-imagining of the fate/stay or something else?

duckroll

I'm watching Fate/Zero now and also want to know something. Is fate/stay worth watching? I heard it was pretty mediocre. And what about the movie? Is it a re-imagining of the fate/stay or something else?

Wait for the rest of the Fate/Zero money to roll in, and maybe the Ufotable team working on Fate/Zero will remake Fate/Stay Night next. Then it might be worth watching. :p

Dresden

1. nope

2. the movie adapts the second of the three arcs in the game

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 01:
DOO0Z.gif

Epic
DOO0Z.gif
though. I know I've said I'm not a fan of telling over showing before, but I'm digging the discussions between high commanders and the silly tension between the old figures of authority and the young commodores. It's a nice contrast, actually: you have a young and handsome bloke taking the empire to certain victory despite the disbelief of his war generals while the Republic/Alliance/whatever could have not fucked up had they listened to dem new fresh ideas.

The
death by impalement
disturbed the fuck out of me. I'm seriously afraid of getting
impaled
. It's like one of my phobias since I was a little kid. :(

Duckroll and myself where discussing this topic earlier and in the end it is clearly the fault of the director if he doesn't have the organisation in place with the right staff to make episodes which are consistent with what the tone that he was going for with the show. Of course, he clearly understands how to storyboard some interesting episodes.

Oh sure, I'm not going to absolve the director of blame. He should have made more of an effort to structure the show in a way that the first three episodes had a successful payoff. But since Sankarea is his first position of major responsibility, and at DEEN of all places, I'm inclined to cut him a little slack.

Soma

Finish that GOTY!

:brofist:

I need to finish Rin and Lilly.

ah yes saving the two best routes for last

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Episodes 1 & 2

Yuuko making a strong candidate for best girl this season.

I can definitely see the complaints of the repetitious first episode but with the introduction of Yuuko's playful nature I really enjoyed it. There's an interesting atmosphere in this show that really walks a fine line between a dark/horror story and romantic comedy story. I'm also getting Bakemonogatari vibes here just as I did from the first episode of Sankarea as far as dialogue and character interactions go.

Definitely continuing with this show. The mysterious story with Yuuko and her personality has got me hooked.

dimb

They do understand, they just have a thing called 'standards'.
It would be nice if they applied those standards to their own work. Particularly when it comes to the material they choose to adapt.

duckroll

Oh sure, I'm not going to absolve the director of blame. He should have made more of an effort to structure the show in a way that the first three episodes had a successful payoff. But since Sankarea is his first position of major responsibility, and at DEEN of all places, I'm inclined to cut him a little slack.

Well, I think we can look at it from the same perspective as Ando going to PA Works and directing Canaan. The studio is not known for good action, and the source material comes from Type-Moon's expansion of the 428 story. Ando did what he could, but the show still ended up sucking because of a poor storyline and dumb character antics. Yet, I don't think the tone of the show or the direction ever felt inconsistent. The camerawork and cuts in the Ando storyboarded episodes were superior, sure, but I think he did a decent job of putting together a team who could mimic the sort of movement and look he set up in the first few episodes.

If there is a drastic shift in the visual direction of a show just because the director stopped storyboarding episodes personally, it shows that there is a failure in communication or instruction giving/taking.

Instro

Sankarea 4

I see the director stopped storyboarding, which was pretty obvious during the episode. I'm not even bothered by the fanservice, as that was already part of the initial episodes, but the tone of the show went a completely different direction this week. Not to say the show can't be good while being lighthearted, but it wasn't done in a particularly interesting way, visually or otherwise.

Jex

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 01:

The
death by impalement
disturbed the fuck out of me. I'm seriously afraid of getting
impaled
. It's like one of my phobias since I was a little kid. :(

You shouldn't watch the Flash Gordon movie.

dimb

If there is a drastic shift in the visual direction of a show just because the director stopped storyboarding episodes personally...
For Sankarea I don't really feel like there is a dramatic shift in the visual direction. It isn't executed on as as high of a level in that area often times but it still felt the same to me visually.

To me it was more a case story gearing to a different (and fetishistic) focus that causes the tonal shift. The entire pace of the story changed too, which probably doesn't help anyone acclimate to that shift.

duckroll

For Sankarea I don't really feel like there is a dramatic shift in the visual direction. It isn't executed on as as high of a level in that area often times but it still felt the same to me visually.

To me it was more a case story gearing to a different (and fetishistic) focus that causes the tonal shift. The entire pace of the story changed too, which probably doesn't help anyone acclimate to that shift.

Sounds like a typical bad episode. Once again the badness was over-exaggerated by AnimeGAF, the kings of hyperbole!

Well, I think we can look at it from the same perspective as Ando going to PA Works and directing Canaan. The studio is not known for good action, and the source material comes from Type-Moon's expansion of the 428 story. Ando did what he could, but the show still ended up sucking because of a poor storyline and dumb character antics. Yet, I don't think the tone of the show or the direction ever felt inconsistent. The camerawork and cuts in the Ando storyboarded episodes were superior, sure, but I think he did a decent job of putting together a team who could mimic the sort of movement and look he set up in the first few episodes.

If there is a drastic shift in the visual direction of a show just because the director stopped storyboarding episodes personally, it shows that there is a failure in communication or instruction giving/taking.

Ando's career before Cannan was doing key animation on great projects like Magnetic Rose, directing episodes of great shows like RahXephon, and finally directing his very own tour-de-force action movie. Shinichi Omata's career before Sankarea was being animation producer on various random hentai and storyboarding on shows like Astarotte's Toy and Denpa Onna. There's clearly a huge disparity in experience and skill level here. That Omata was able to make the episodes of Sankarea he directly worked on as good as they were shows that he has a lot of untapped talent; the fourth episode shows that he isn't yet able to harness that talent well when supervising others. My hope is that this will be a learning experience for him, and he'll be able to do a better job on his next project.

duckroll

Ando's career before Cannan was doing key animation on great projects like Magnetic Rose, directing episodes of great shows like RahXephon, and finally directing his very own tour-de-force action movie. Shinichi Omata's career before Sankarea was being animation producer on various random hentai and storyboarding on shows like Astarotte's Toy and Denpa Onna. There's clearly a huge disparity in experience and skill level here. That Omata was able to make the episodes of Sankarea he directly worked on as good as they were shows that he has a lot of untapped talent; the fourth episode shows that he isn't yet able to harness that talent well when supervising others. My hope is that this will be a learning experience for him, and he'll be able to do a better job on his next project.

When you put it like that, I feel so bad for even having expectations which would pressure the poor guy who finally got to direct his own TV series. I just feel sorry that his show involves a necrophile, and hence I won't be watching it to support him. :/

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
Because there's not much else to do on a plane

After a 3 week break from Sailor Moon, I had already been forgetting how awesome all the faces they pull in this show are.

Also, onsen episodes? With naked Usagi? In my Sailor Moon? It's more likely than you think!

Also, I've noticed that the transformations have been getting progressively more racy each time a new Sailor shows up.

Anyway, I should have the last 6 episodes finished by the time I get home later today, and then I'll post full episode impressions for each of those episodes.

All the Moon Kingdom stuff is pretty cool, I think I prefer normal Usagi to Serenity, though that could be just because I'm more used to normal Usagi.

How fun~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom