• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Un-Go Ep0 - Inga-ron

This is a really fascinating movie. By fascinating I mean weird. By weird I probably mean odd. By odd I guess I mean confusing. And by confusing some people would assume that means bad. Of course by bad that can also mean good.

Who is Yuuki Shinjirou? Who is Inga? What is Bettenou? These are questions which the TV series have played with, and never really answered with detailed facts all the way to the end. The story in the series concluded, but the "reality" was not expanded on. But again, it didn't need to be, because reality is only a perception, and what we know is only what we see and hear. Or at least, I think that was theme of the series.

This movie answers those questions, and maybe more, or maybe less. As with all things Un-Go there is never a clear answer or a proper logical way of telling things in a linear fashion. The narration jumps through many hoops to tell what would otherwise be a simple story, making the story much more complicated than it needs to be. In doing so it makes many of the events convoluted and stranger than they would otherwise be. Perhaps this is how the characters really feel, trapped in a reality that makes no sense, unable to escape. Either way, it's just mostly weird for the sake of being weird.

In the end, the movie establishes that reality is not really important, but it probably hopes that the audience had a good time anyway. I can't really say that the show is a success, since it is often ugly because of the terrible character designs, and the writing is just too "unique" for its own good, trying too hard to be an exaggerated entry in Weird Tales, except in animated form.

I can't say I really enjoyed this, nor did I hate it. I just wonder what the creators were thinking when they made it. It's so unusual, but not really worthwhile at all. Strange.

/XX/

No, I mean he didn't post like that. He was genuinely an insightful and interesting poster.
Saying that "he was" makes it seem like he is dead or banned permanently or something like that, you replied to his most recent post a couple of hours ago.

Hunter x Hunter 29
tumblr_m38xh5AQqH1rn3azyo1_400.png

The battle visuals looked great
spinning top move and the way they had the attack name, as well as the camera angles and how it panned, Im impressed.
Anime has the potential to give Bleach anime battles cinematics a run for the money.

On the preview
Wanted to spend more time with Gon and Killua, but I guess while they are doing two months of training with Wing(?) we will focus on Kurapika? Hope he gets more of a personality in the meantime and the full spider troupe plot is exposed. Leorio is gone?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tsuritama Ep.02 -Dropped-

Yeah, I can't watch this show. It's incredibly nice to look at, the color pallet and animation are great, but the MCs are infuriating and the plot is unappealing.

The third episode was the first in the series that I thought was genuinely good. Before, I had a lot of problems with the main characters too, but they suddenly got better.

The three episodes rule worked for me on this one. Maybe it'd work for you too.

cajunator

Banned
Eureka Seven AO 03

It's not Ao's fault. He was born this way!

Man this show is a lot of fun. Definitely feels like Eureka Seven.

Elena Peoples is way cute and needs to be featured more.

The music and setting continues to impress. The battles still deliver. Even the mech designs look good.

Man this season is delivering on all fronts!

Instro

Eureka Seven AO 03

The music and setting continues to impress. The battles still deliver. Even the mech designs look good.

I wonder if this is how Bones thinks.

Eureka Seven AO 03

Don't lie, you saw the cat helmet and all other reasoning went out the window ;)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Don't lie, you saw the cat helmet and all other reasoning went out the window ;)

Actually, the cat helmet is the one bad element about Elena. It looks stupid.

Hyouka 01

This is probably what Haruhi would be like if Kyon talked instead of having internal monologue.

...and if Haruhi got rid of some of the worse members of the cast and replaced them with big gorgeous purple eyes.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tsuritama Ep.02 -Dropped-

Yeah, I can't watch this show. It's incredibly nice to look at, the color pallet and animation are great, but the MCs are infuriating and the plot is unappealing.
And I thought we were friends.:(
This is the season for 7th to start circle-jerks about all the great animation and art techniques. His absence is disturbing.
He's probably doesn't have time for that unlike us losers.

Brazil

After watching the first episode of Code Geass, I can say that I'm interested. The Guilty Crown-ness potential in this is off the charts, though.

The protagonist doesn't waste time going into full
Yagami Light mode
, I see.

After watching the first episode of Code Geass, I can say that I'm interested. The Guilty Crown-ness potential in this is off the charts, though.

Yagami Light mode
, I see.

Have fun watching this through. I will be finishing my marathon run of both seasons later this evening and I have enjoyed this fourth time watching it start to end.

Will you be watching both seasons or just season one?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Alternative theory about why 7th hasn't posted in this thread yet - he is to disgusted by some of the posts here (most notably the ones about Kanon 2002) to post in this thread any more.:(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Un-Go 05:

SjsAc.jpg

Nice digs, Shinjuurou.

Something does not compute. This was kind of a dumb mystery in general, but
what ended up being the girl's true motive? Shinjuurou claims that she was after the gold, but she claims that murdering those two guys was some kind of political statement about Shimada profiting from the death of his subordinates, as extraordinarily illogical a motive as that seems to be
. The episode just kind of ended without clarifying this, but so much for that.

Ultimately, I just hope that using so much of the series to make a very strong point about how scummy and underhanded the government is actually culminates with something significant and doesn't remain a carrot dangled in front of the audience as Shinjuurou solves episodic cases united by this common theme.

Also, Kazamori's clothing this episode was just..........ugh. I know that she's
programmed to be appealing to pedophiles like her creator
, but still.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Alternative theory about why 7th hasn't posted in this thread yet - he is to disgusted by some of the posts here (most notably the ones about Kanon 2002) to post in this thread any more.:(

This thread would be pretty boring if it's just 50/100 posts of THIS MESSAGE IS HIDDEN BECAUSE _______ IS ON YOUR IGNORE LIST page after page ._.

Andrew J.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 33

Another clip show, with new material mixed in.

Utena slept with Akio, apparently. I'm surprised it took this long, quite frankly. Akio's only been seducing her since he first showed up, after all.

I'll go all the way.

Good to hear. I hope my posts will not spoil anything for you, and with that in mind...

Code Geass R2 16-18

The F.L.E.I.J.A. is finally finished and later fired. Kallen's return is welcomed, after eight long episodes, along with the upgraded Guren S.E.I.T.E.N. Eight Elements. Lelouch's state of mind will certainly affect the end of the series final arc.

I want to rewatch season one again. But how can you rewatch the ending four times? I can never accept it.

First from Adult Swim, then I watched it subbed and dubbed last year when I purchased the series, and just now. I have to pass the time between college finals somehow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Utena slept with Akio, apparently. I'm surprised it took this long, quite frankly. Akio's only been seducing her since he first showed up, after all.

Everyone's slept with Akio. It's part of the Ohtori Academy orientation program.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

sOny0.png

Hype deflated. You're not supposed to react that calmly!

Makoto

Mawaru Penguindrum 4-9

Mood-Swing.gif

OK nerds, you win. Song of Ice and Fire Mawaru Penguindrum is gud.

I'd say that was a good call to recommend watching this up to episode nine. The art direction is still strong as ever. I like the character designs for the female characters, especially Ringo but I don’t like that the guys get eyes that are just as shiny as the gals’. Maybe I’ve just been too exposed to KyoAni’s doctrine of “give all the uguu eyes to the girls while all the guys get boring eyes.” Why are Shouma’s eyelashes so pronounced? The good thing about everything prior to episode nine is that the show ramps up the Ringo antics by 11 and downplays the brothers/Himari angle. Seeing as how I still couldn't have cared less about the latter during those episodes, I'd say episode eight was the hook I needed for the show. Mawaru Pengindrum is at its strongest when it's not trying to be a comedy and after episode eight, I'm sensing that finally, this show will try to make a serious shift in its tone.

vZkht.jpg

I don’t think you could shove the symbolism down my throat any harder, Brain’s Base.

cajunator

Banned
Yami says fuck the space story, we've got more nonsense to explore 11

"to be blunt, everything on this ship is fucked"

"Theyre not pinin'! They've passed on! These adults are no more! They have ceased to be! They've expired and gone to meet their maker! They're stiffs! Bereft of life, They
rest in peace! If you hadn't nailed em to the bed they'd be pushing up the daisies! Their metabolic processes are now history! Theyre off the twig! They've kicked the
bucket, They've shuffled off their mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-CREW!!
There is a forest in space. IVE SEEN IT.

One of the space moes keeps talking about Lulau. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this is
Hatsumi

THIS IS CREEPY
WITH THE CORPSES

And then
a girl cuts her own cord on a spacewalk because she's stupid and nearly dies and floats off in space, only to be rescued seconds later by another girl who apparently loves her and wants to marry her.
YURI OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE.

Apparently they have also found a planet to colonize that is pretty much exactly like Earth.

They say their final goodbyes to Lala and we get another dose of corpse in bed.
So classy.

One other thing..
.umm..they're all female...How are they going to colonize a planet
- FUCK IT. It doesnt matter.

BECAUSE NOW WERE BACK TO THE FLOATING HOUSES IN SPACE.

So uhh.
Mariel was a frog. OK. She hops up on Fox lady, who magically turns her back into a naked girl. I wish I could turn frogs into girls. That would be a neat trick.

Now the ogre guys are.....MAN THIS IS DUMBER THAN FUCK. My head hurts.

YURI DENIED!

But none shall deny the love between a
fair maiden who was once a frog and an ogre

Yes. Lilith's hat IS THAT FUCKING SCARY.

Hatsume/Jill/Eve
arrives!

Yagami Light mode
, I see.

I haven't seen Guilty Crown, but there's no way it even compares to Code Geass. Code Geass is a gift from the heavens. It is god-tier anime. You have embarked on a truly magnificent journey that will reap many rewards.

Mawaru Penguindrum 4-9

OK nerds, you win. Song of Ice and Fire Mawaru Penguindrum is gud.

I'd say that was a good call to recommend watching this up to episode nine. The art direction is still strong as ever. I like the character designs for the female characters, especially Ringo but I don’t like that the guys get eyes that are just as shiny as the gals’. Maybe I’ve just been too exposed to KyoAni’s doctrine of “give all the uguu eyes to the girls while all the guys get boring eyes.” Why are Shouma’s eyelashes so pronounced?

Because the character designer is a BL manga artist.

The good thing about everything prior to episode nine is that the show ramps up the Ringo antics by 11 and downplays the brothers/Himari angle. Seeing as how I still couldn't have cared less about the latter during those episodes, I'd say episode eight was the hook I needed for the show. Mawaru Pengindrum is at its strongest when it's not trying to be a comedy and after episode eight, I'm sensing that finally, this show will try to make a serious shift in its tone.

Just to properly set your expectations, there are a few more tone shifts to come, including a couple very comedic episodes. The second half of the show does get a lot more serious than the Ringo arc, though.

Oh, and episode 10 is the worst looking episode of the show.

Brazil

I haven't seen Guilty Crown, but there's no way it even compares to Code Geass. Code Geass is a gift from the heavens. It is god-tier anime. You have embarked on a truly magnificent journey that will reap many rewards.

Well, both seem to be about a guy who joins a rebel organization to overthrow a government with his newly-acquired super-powers developed originally in secret by said government in a world with war mechs a la Patlabor.

I can't say for sure if that's the case for Code Geass, though.

Mawaru Penguindrum 4-9

Mawaru Pengindrum is at its strongest when it's not trying to be a comedy and after episode eight, I'm sensing that finally, this show will try to make a serious shift in its tone.

Episode 16 is comedic in nature and it's one of the few genuinely good episodes in the series.

Other than that, look forward to the final 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom