• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Fate/Zero Episode 17

This is definitely an episode where the story moves forward into the "next phase" of the narrative. Possibly the final phase, given how there are only 8 episodes left. I think it was well made, and there are certain specific parts I'll get into later on in the spoiler zone, but I also felt that this was the first episode in a while which felt artificially stretched. Scenes take longer than they could have, and there are lingering shots in scenes as well as other techniques used to drag the runtime of a smaller number of events into a full episode. The first half of the episode felt well paced, but the second half dragged in a rather obvious way. But even that might be intentionally, something I'll discuss in the spoiler zone.

It was definitely intentional. I mean, the tension in that last scene was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

cajunator

Banned
Well I had a weird moment. I fell asleep watching episode 13 of Yami , but I dreamed that I finished it, and posted about it on here. Then I woke up, realized I was just dreaming, and posted about the episode on here. Then I woke up again, looked on animeGAf AND I DIDN'T POST ANYTHING. I'm freaking the fuck out.

Andrew J.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 37

The student council members seem a bit more well-adjusted now. Utena's become awfully popular with them.

So much tension between Utena and Anthy this episode. The suicide prevention relieved some of it without really resolving any of the underlying issues.

Branduil

Don't think it was mentioned in here but Usagi Drop got picked up by NISA for a DVD/BD release. Hoorah!

iyjIZ2H8M8TG3.gif

I wonder how much the license for the salvation of anime cost.

Well I had a weird moment. I fell asleep watching episode 13 of Yami , but I dreamed that I finished it, and posted about it on here. Then I woke up, realized I was just dreaming, and posted about the episode on here. Then I woke up again, looked on animeGAf AND I DIDN'T POST ANYTHING. I'm freaking the fuck out.
Yami is one hell of a drug.

Saint Seiya Omega 5
tumblr_m39iihPKvx1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Have you ever felt your own cosmo? Anyway, the trial was pretty cool.
Souma's father story was pretty sad, I hope he ends up meeting his end goal by the time the story is over, the Martian is so evil and wrong. Regardless, I disliked the time spent with Yuna but was glad Ryuuho made it, even if he is part of the weak duo, curious where Eden will place in that ranking. Souma and Kouga's part was actually cool and touching, twice saving, and actually surprising me by bringing Souma to the finish line

Great episode.

Branduil

Nothing against you guys, but if my only source of information regarding the new season were to come from this thread, everything would be swell, anime is saved, Shinbo is a genius. Also, the thread moves way too fast for me to keep up.

I don't think you've read this thread all that closely.

Is that what we're calling desperate Internet attention whores these days?

To elaborate, I don't see how writing in an exaggerated cynical and negative tone, eschewing substantial criticism for causal dismissal, posting 40 screenshots of each episode (seriously, what is the point?), and spreading blatant misinformation (such as saying Shin-Ei Animation, makers of Doraemon since 1979, is primarily known for "filthy flash animations") can be taken as anything but a crude ploy for hits. I know that's the cool thing to do with blogs these days, and I must admit it was partially successful in that I ended up writing about it, but now that I know what I am dealing with I intend to avoid succumbing to its attempts to stir up controversy.

Eh, I know aroduc. He isn't a troll, he just has really strange tastes and is unable to examine things from a different point of view. Not unlike some people here.

I admit I often glance through posts. The consequence is that the most I digest out of this thread are episode reviews done with screencaps and gifs aided by one-liners about characters who are otherwise foreign to non-followers. I must confess I used to do it in the past as well to validate my interests. Rarely does someone review episodes of shows he or she doesn't like. I have zero issues with this. Everyone is allowed to post whatever they like after all.

It does however create the impression that shows have no flaws, or at least the flaws aren't mentioned, because people tend to only focus on the good parts. It could be that some people are not critical and just enjoy the show for what it is. I read posts that people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars for blu-ray boxes, so the show must be good enough to be worth it in their eyes. No judging from me. I know a guy who spent $500 on a Rosario + Vampire box set.

But, man, some of you are some of the most happy-go-lucky fully adult bunch I've had the pleasure to see frolic. Take UltimaDrago. Is there anything he doesn't like? I swear I have never seen him badmouth anything in a serious tone the time I've spent lurking here. Does cajunator watch anything as long as it has preadolescent, sometimes teenage, doe-eyed girls who act cute? Does Jexhius in reality have a shrine devoted to Kirino in his secret basement, with as his most prized possession, a wall-mounted display of Kirino figurines, merchandise and posters?

You sound pretty upset about people here liking anime.

Why so serious?

This post isn't helping your cause.

Is troll the new buzzword or something?

At any rate, I get the hint that I'm not welcome, so I'll just mosey along. Sorry to have bothered you with my trolling!

You shouldn't worry about that, plenty of people still post here without being welcome.

Branduil

I think the problem is that blogger guy is a moron. I mean I think Mawaru Penguindrum is crap and Shinbo has been a hack since after the 90s but I'm not a moron. Maybe he should fix that.

I've read a few of his blogposts since I saw this and he has absolutely nothing of value to say. Distressing.

i6SqVtYkHICjJ.gif

Well, that was pretty uncalled for. Didn't you mother ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

Besides, you two have more in common than you think.

I'm gonna go actually finish the last episode and post it here to break the cycle.
At least I will do that if this is a dream. Maybe my whole life is a dream. Maybe YOU ARE A FIGMENT OF MY IMAGINATION.

but there are so many good shows this season and you watch Yami. What's just wrong with the world?

cajunator

Banned
but there are so many good shows this season and you watch Yami. What's just wrong with the world?

I've been watching a bunch of stuff and occasionally post about it. go back through my posts. I started Sankarea, MGX, Space Bros, Upotte, Tsuritama, Apollon, Hyouka, FZ season 2, Acchi Kocchi, and several others I'm probably forgetting here. Yami is just a show that's too good to pass up!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, that was pretty uncalled for. Didn't you mother ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

Besides, you two have more in common than you think.
Sorry but I don't take kindly to being called part of a happy hivemind incapable of criticism, especially when his counterexample is a guy like... that. Lol.

I've been watching a bunch of stuff and occasionally post about it. go back through my posts. I started Sankarea, MGX, Space Bros, Upotte, Tsuritama, Apollon, Hyouka, FZ season 2, Acchi Kocchi, and several others I'm probably forgetting here. Yami is just a show that's too good to pass up!

You forgot Dusk Maiden. My avatar will haunt you!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Saki 4

owm9fl.jpg

It's on like Donkey Kong! I'm curious as to what the end game is supposed to be, since they give time to
Saki and co
. One would guess that the
two schools have to match up against each other
, but I'm not sure if that's supposed to set up a new series or serve as a way to conclude both. I'll be happy for the ride (and the CRAZY Mahjong skills).

Branduil

The Kanon 2002 faces are definitely cuter than the 2006 faces.
The 2006 style is just CGed to death and looks stupid.

There's definitely something not quite right about the 2006 art, yeah... before I've said it's because the moeified versions KyoAni made don't fit the series, and I do think that, but yeah, somehow they're just not quite right. I was thinking more "2006 is too cute looking, 2002 fits the series better", but maybe you're actually on to something for why 2002 looks better, I'm not sure...

nakama

cajun's definitely onto something. I feel the CG-ified faces make them look puffy and artificial; it's almost too moefied.

Sorry, I still choose 2002. The 2006 style is just...boring. Its a pretty style overall but its just so boring. The 2002 faces are all derpy but they have a charming look to them. I don't really care that 2006 was drawn better. To me it looks worse and it just reminds me too much of the look of visual novels. Thats what its supposed to look like and thats probably why I dontl ike it.

Both have their merits, really. There's just something about those 2006 faces that don't seem quite right. It's really touched up using CG, moe-ified and rounded; It looks artificial in a way, just slightly off. 2002's faces aren't proportionate at times but that just increases its cuteness. Shiori's picture (third picture down) just emanates cute from that oddly proportioned derpy face. Mai (fourth picture down) also is absurdly cute in that picture, even though her face is slightly squashed.

The eyes of KyoAni's Kanon girls also look lifeless and desolate. Toei's captures more personality and spirit into them.

This is true. The ones KyoAni draws look like dolls or something. There's just something about the art that looks superficial and bland. I mean, I enjoyyed Air, Kanon 2006, and Clannad and purchased all of them, but the art was definitely NOT the reason why. I have a pnechant for the dramatic in anime so these shows were exactly what I was looking for. but that art...

I like it better than Kanon 2006. that''s all I'm saying.
They both suffer from the uguuface which isn't all that attractive to the eye to begin with.

This Kanon conversation isn't really going anywhere and art is quite subjective anyway so I'd rather not go on.

I'll just say that, again, both have their merits and neither is superior to each other. Also, Kanon 2002 more closely mimics the original VN character designs and is more faithful an adaptation, design-wise.

ibvfQWuEZvQjL7.gif

Branduil

Recommendation request! (doesn't have to be from this season)

I want to try and get back into anime,

Here's info on how I want to narrow down

1. Everything I've watched by Makoto Shinkai has been pure joy.. if there is anything similar to his work it would great, I love the emotional pull, making everyday life seem almost dream-like.
3. I can't stand Japanese humor / gags / the less of this the better
4. Action is okay, but prefer it on the light to none side
2. I really enjoyed Lain, things that fool me into believing they are intellectual/ highly philosophical are great. emotional elements of Makoto Shinkaiwinds are ranked higher then lain though.

What can you guys recommend me?

Well, people have recommended some of these already, but based on your list:

Haibane Renmei

Usagi Drop

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Time of Eve

Dennou Coil

Kino's Journey

Beautiful Dreamer

Colorful(film)

Articalys

Oricon has posted the top 20 best-selling voice actresses and actors for 2011 (well, 3/31/11-4/1/12, technically) based on the monetary sales of all their vocal work, including singles, albums, character songs, drama CDs, concert DVDs, and the like, and there's such a gap between first place and the rest it isn't even funny.

*1 1,192,900,000 yen -- Nana Mizuki
*2 *,422,300,000 yen -- Sphere
*3 *,173,100,000 yen -- Yukari Tamura
*4 *,148,000,000 yen -- Aki Toyosaki
*5 *,116,500,000 yen -- Aya Hirano
*6 *,102,300,000 yen -- Minori Chihara
*7 *,*99,100,000 yen -- Mamoru Miyano
*8 *,*96,400,000 yen -- Minami Kuribayashi
*9 *,*93,500,000 yen -- Hiroshi Kamiya
10 *,*88,900,000 yen -- Megumi Hayashibara
11 *,*81,600,000 yen -- GRANRODEO
12 *,*79,300,000 yen -- Yui Horie
13 *,*69,800,000 yen -- Kenichi Suzumura
14 *,*66,700,000 yen -- Nao Tōyama
15 *,*63,000,000 yen -- Eri Kitamura
16 *,*62,600,000 yen -- Hiroshi Kamiya + Daisuke Ono
17 *,*60,200,000 yen -- Daisuke Ono
18 *,*40,100,000 yen -- Megumi Nakajima
19 *,*38,600,000 yen -- G.Addict
20 *,*36,200,000 yen -- Kanae Itō

cajunator

Banned
Well, people have recommended some of these already, but based on your list:

Haibane Renmei

Usagi Drop

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Time of Eve

Dennou Coil

Kino's Journey

Beautiful Dreamer

Colorful(film)

Do NOT confuse Colorful with the OVA series!

Unless you like pantsu. Like a LOT. Like that's ALL you think about.

Branduil

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I've worked out what this image in the OP of Fate/Zero is all about. Which isn't really any kind of feat, because it's pretty obvious:

FateZeroOP213.jpg

Speculation spoilers for up to the current episode episode and beyond
these folks are all going to die.

It looks like Kariya is next, then.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I heard pretty bad things about the first ep. Did it get better?
Each episode has been progressively better. I don't know that it's great or anything because in many ways it's poorly constructed, but episode three was a pretty good watch.

wonzo

Banned
It's horrifying, much like those Kanon 2002 pics I posted!

I've heard that episode 1 is terrible but the show improves quickly.

I cannot confirm it yet.
It was standard animeGAF hyperbole, so I would not even say the first episode was bad but the show got better with each episode.
Each episode has been progressively better. I don't know that it's great or anything because in many ways it's poorly constructed, but episode three was a pretty good watch.
I'll check it out then. Cheers!

Oricon has posted the top 20 best-selling voice actresses and actors for 2011 (well, 3/31/11-4/1/12, technically) based on the monetary sales of all their vocal work, including singles, albums, character songs, drama CDs, and the like, and there's such a gap between first place and the rest it isn't even funny.
No Omigawa makes me sad. :(

Andrew J.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 38

Man, this is probably the last time I'll get to see the Absolute Destiny Apocalypse sequence.

Elements from the Black Rose arc show up here and there.

Anthy stabbing Utena is one of those shocking twists that's entered into the collective consciousness of fandom and become know to most everyone through osmosis, in this case by 1999 or so. Nice to finally have the context for it.

Code Geass R2 23

If anyone thought Lelouch's plan to change the world was terrible, Schneizel's ultimate plan is far more insane and destructive. Schneizel simply does not care who is killed to gain victory over Lelouch.

wonzo

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena 38

Man, this is probably the last time I'll get to see the Absolute Destiny Apocalypse sequence.

Elements from the Black Rose arc show up here and there.

Anthy stabbing Utena is one of those shocking twists that's entered into the collective consciousness of fandom and become know to most everyone through osmosis, in this case by 1999 or so. Nice to finally have the context for it.
Don't forget to watch the movie afterwards!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Oricon has posted the top 20 best-selling voice actresses and actors for 2011 (well, 3/31/11-4/1/12, technically) based on the monetary sales of all their vocal work, including singles, albums, character songs, drama CDs, concert DVDs, and the like, and there's such a gap between first place and the rest it isn't even funny.

I approve Mizuki Nana being on top of that list by a huge margin. She has an incredible singing voice! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom