• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize that the summer season was so disappointing.

Honestly, I feel that the summer season has the potential to have about the same number of quality shows I enjoy as this one, the way things are turning out. This season's big winners seem to be:

Space Brothers
Kids on the Slope
Tsuritama
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Fate/Zero (when I get around to it)

Plus a couple lesser shows that I'm enjoying for various reasons, such as Hyouka and Ginga e Kickoff. For the summer season, my eyes are on:

Space Brothers (cont.)
Natsuyuki Rendevous
Moyashimon Returns
Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi
Binbougami ga!

Plus a couple shows I'm more skeptical about but could turn out to be enjoyable in their own way, such as Tari Tari and Sword Art Online. We'll see.

Jex

There are two big problems I see with the show. The first is the expostionary way people talk in the show. Things that should be fairly obvious for the characters is talked about in a very boring and nonrealistic way. The second is how the show relates to the first one as it seems fairly messy so far.

[...]

Honestly the third episode feels like a misstep and I think the fourth will probably be fine. In fact, I'm not worried at all about the combat heavy episodes. The bigger issue is how they deal with free-time/down-time ones and whether they can establish some character dynamics similar to the Gekko.

I will certainly echo this concern. The first two episodes were some introduction, build up and finally action. That worked fairly well, but as soon as that was over with they didn't seem to quite know how to represent what happened next.

NewFresh

...[/spoiler]
l871t.gif

Not to be rude, but I think you are confused...

Steroyd

Ginga e Kickoff - 03

More animating of football than the whole of Knight in the Area's 17 episodes combined.

Hyouka - 02

...at least it has high production values.

Jarmel

Banned
I will certainly echo this concern. The first two episodes were some introduction, build up and finally action. That worked fairly well, but as soon as that was over with they didn't seem to quite know how to represent what happened next.

That's why I'm mainly interested in the 5th episode as my guess is that's when Ao will be with Pied Piper full-time and so we should have a much better idea where the series will go and some of the character interactions and relationships should be clearer.

cajunator

Banned
Ginga e Kickoff - 03

More animating of football than the whole of Knight in the Area's 17 episodes combined.

Hyouka - 02

...at least it has high production values.

Sometimes, that's all a show has going for it. A shame if that ends up being the case with Hyouka :(

cajunator

Banned
The intent I got from that scene wasn't so much "Look how brain damaged she is now that she's a zombie" as "Look what a naive and sheltered girl she is". That's been a steady part of Rea's character.

This is true. she was kept in her house by her horrible father for many years. Probably doesn't know how to use any kind of item her parents didn't introduce to her.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ay Kay Bee Zero Zero Forty Eight Episode One

Well it is a comedy.

I thought this was meant to be the future, not modern day Lancaster.
Yes, I know it says Lancastar you witty script writers

On the Planet up north where no fun is allowed football still exists because FOOTBALL IS NO FUN! OH NO! YOU JUST GOT TOLD BY THE ANIME INDUSTRY!

Damn. That is the harshest thing I have ever heard.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 4

Bwahahaha.

It's hard to understand this series. It jumps so quickly from comedy to harem to mystery, and you have just as many "concrete" shots as stylish shots.

It's fun. I still don't know where it'll go from here, though.

cajunator

Banned
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 4

Bwahahaha.

It's hard to understand this series. It jumps so quickly from comedy to harem to mystery, and you have just as many "concrete" shots as stylish shots.

It's fun. I still don't know where it'll go from here, though.

I think overall I will enjoy Sankarea more, but this show has me intrigued already.

Reknoc

This is true. she was kept in her house by her horrible father for many years. Probably doesn't know how to use any kind of item her parents didn't introduce to her.

Which, considering her Father, explains why she tried to use the loofer the way that she did.

The scene with L wanting to give a long rant but keeping it bottled inside is one of the few occasions foreign media has depicted Brits well. And this is from a show that fails to get the Union flag right half the time.

That was my favorite scene. It was just done so well.

Kid Icarus: Medusa's Revenge

So Nintendo's reruns have given me the opportunity to check this short out. In short, it's underwhelming. I like some of the art and Pit's character design, but the animation and overall style is more generic than I would have expected from Nakazawa's past works. The big problem is that there's no structure or point to it; it half-heartedly sets up this big showdown and then stops. I dislike when shorts aren't designed with the awareness of their time constraints.

Ah My Goddess TV S2 22
Now, we get the demon queen living here.
An ok episode I guess. While it was nifty seeing what Hild does to be bothersome to the one true love of the show, I wasn't that amused with the high school antics and Belldandy's unassertiveness in giving a love letter.

Soma

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 04

1mkY0.jpg

How lewd.

Still enjoying this show if not just for Yuuko herself. It's still straddling the line between a romcom/harem anime and a horror/mystery show, but there's much more prevalence of the romantic comedy aspect especially in this episode. I'm not sure what to think of the relationship between Yuuko and Teiichi. I mean it's pretty cute but also weird since she's...well y'know. Dead.

Though in a season dealing with drool girlfriends and zombie girlfriends I guess it's really not all that weird.

But yeah it's a fun show and I'm enjoying the ride even though I have no clue where the story will go at the moment. I hear it's apparently skipping a lot of stuff from the manga too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah. I mean, I don't even want it for myself -- I'm fine with Lancer -- but I couldn't get the top edge of her hairband to look right after erasing the background and felt a bit obsessive about it, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble in the end.

I realize that I'm a bit late with this, but:

fGLp0.png

Free to whoever wants it!

Oh fucking ye.....
what does that even mean
is it olde English?

Probably something that this guy would say:

fnnmN.jpg

Just need a few more dream contributions, and we'll have the full season of the first AnimeGAF anime planned out!

Maybe everyone's mass hallucination about Garzey's Wing is real and this is the dream. Can't sleep, warbeasts will eat me :(

Shame about that movie, eh? *sigh*

What Suite Precure movie?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
According to MAL, this is the 500th anime I've completed...

Angel's Egg

Really interesting movie. I think one of the issues I had with Innocence is that it was a philosophical movie that pretended it was also an action film and a mystery, but I didn't think it mixed all that well. Here there's no false hook and it's exactly what it wants to be.

Branduil

Ay Kay Bee Zero Zero Forty Eight Episode One

I thought this was meant to be the future, not modern day Lancaster.
Yes, I know it says Lancastar you witty script writers

The subs I had said Rankastar, which is probably wrong but it amused me.

cajunator

Banned
They're back? Cajun put on life support.

Not yet! SHAFT Palutena is what I need.

I almost forgot.

That poor girl. She's the only one not in on it.

Angel's Egg

Really interesting movie. I think one of the issues I had with Innocence is that it was a philosophical movie that pretended it was also an action film and a mystery, but I didn't think it mixed all that well. Here there's no false hook and it's exactly what it wants to be.

Angel's Egg is a good movie. I didn't expect to like it, but there's something about the imagery that I loved and its not just the cute angel.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Man, you ain't gonna let them live that down, are ya?
It's my new hobby; Union Flag watch.

Oh and I've come up with some lyrics for AKB0048. Maybe I should send them in seeing as the show doesn't have an OP yet.

♪~ We've got hearts in our eyes
And hearts in our hair
Hearts on our arses
There's hearts everywhere! ~♪

Articalys

Ooh, this looks pretty fun -- Hiroaki Hirata and Masakazu Morita are going to keep their roles for the live-action Tiger & Bunny stage play! Only for the non-costume bits, though. There's also a full cast list at the link.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh fucking ye.....
what does that even mean
is it olde English?

'Ye' just means 'the' and would be pronounced as 'the'. Also 'olde' is pronounced as 'old'. So if you hear someone say "Ye olde inn" instead of "the old inn" you can give them a right slap across the cheek.

NewFresh

Angel's Egg

See, you just needed to watch this when you weren't half asleep.

Gross, you're on MAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom